Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)

poor

to view more.
Ratings: 166 | Reviews: 95
Reviews by Taz_Michael:
2.21/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

2012 Schlitz Original - Reviewed 10/21/2012

Appearance: Schlitz pours a pale straw color with extremely visible carbonation. The head explodes in malty goodness, but dissipates into a light dusting. I shed a nostalgic tear as a gaze upon the beauty of 172 years of love poured into my tasting glass.

Smell: Immediately the aroma of my alcoholic uncle's breath comes through the bouquet of malts and hops. The nose is lovingly caressed by golden ears of corn and barley. Sugary sweetness makes the heart beat fonder in anticipation.

Taste: Truly the original malt liquor, Schlitz tastes like the days when men used to drunkenly crash their boats into large rocks. We start off smooth but develop into a more complex profile of grains and a bit of spice on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Schlitz greets the tongue with velvety smoothness and invites you to come back for more. Light-bodied and refreshing, this malt liquor prances and plays across the pallet.

Overall: Schlitz is the epitome of average, the everyman's beer. And I love it. Pairs well with creamed corn or biscuits and gravy. Best enjoyed at the tailgate table with a bag of Sam's Club potato chips, or around a tire-fire with an extreme spicy Slim-Jim. Either way, stock up on Schlitz original today!

1.58/5  rDev -39%

Well I've had worse malt liquors but not much worse. It poured a piss yellow color with a suprisingy decent head that stayed around and left a touch of lace. The smell was horrible with nothing but skunk and grain. The taste was just as bad, with a really nasty sweetness that made me pucker with disgust after every sip. This is one I will never be drinking again, give me a Mickey's any day!

3.58/5  rDev +38.2%

40z. brown bagged.

A: Appears to be a brown bag with a bit of brown bottle prairie doggin'.

S: Smells kind of light a dive... stale beer and mildew-y cardboard/paperbag. A bit of sweetness probably from corn but maybe rice.

T/M: It actually has a surprising amount of flavor. Some biscuit and cereal malts that transition smoothly into a grainy, almost husky malt. Is that a wisp of grassy hops? Maybe I'm already drunk. Body is medium light with slightly elevated carbonation.

D: 5.9% is pretty low for a malt liquor. This wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. At least pretty good sippin' from the bottle, crouchin' on the corner, shootin' dice with ashy Larry. Tyrone Biggums?!?!?! This is not cocaine in a can and no you can not taste my penis. Now get over here, Ronda!

1.18/5  rDev -54.4%

I'll confess, I picked up a pint of this on a whim. Not often you get a pint this cheap. It cost me just buck and some pocket change. Pours fairly well, and has a rather nice color to it. Doesn't really smell like much. This last bit's the most surprising, because it tastes like a puddle of frat-party vomit. High alcohol, low on every other feature that really makes beer enjoyable. As I drank it, I felt myself developing an urge to watch football excessively and crush the can on my head. I'd recommend buying a can, just to remind yourself why you shell out the extra cash for a beer that doesn't taste like it was fished from a drainage ditch.

1.99/5  rDev -23.2%

Poured a few ounces into a juice glass for color and smell. The rest was consumed out of the bottle.

A - pale golden yellow with a thin lacing of soft, white head that leaves a thin lacing

S - grains, metal, corn, alcohol

T - grainy, apples, metal, corn, sweet, alcohol

M - warm, crisp, lightly bodied

This is pretty foul. It has a warm, metallic, grainy taste that's incredibly displeasing. I admit that I bought this more for a cheap buzz than anything else, but I'll steer clear in the future.

3.42/5  rDev +32%

I had $5, thats all my wife left me when she went to work lol. So, I saw the 18 oz bottles of this for $0.99 at the local beverage barn. So, i bought four of them. i got them all nice and cold and sat down to watch my Rangers piss away the AL West to the Oakland A's. I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. It was very good. It went down very smoothly and tasted pretty damn good. I like it better than any other Schlitz beer. But, i wished I had more to drown my sorrows of the rangers choking away the division. i will buy this beer again.

2.43/5  rDev -6.2%

Part of a malt liquor tasting.

I see why people drink this from a can. It pours piss yellow with a massive piss head.

Smells the way it looks. Corn sweetness, some skunky smells. Not appealing at all.

Tastes a little better than the nose. If you can get past the smell it's not that bad. The taste is not that exciting, just corn and alcohol.

The feel isn't bad. Creamy and full-bodied, yet syrupy.

Drinkable? Well, it won't kill you immediately. You could do better. It came in dead last during the tasting.

1.8/5  rDev -30.5%

Definite "I am drinking this because of the Alcohol" beer. It does have the malt tast minus the taste of hops. This is because the overwhelming tastes of nail polish remover kills your tastebuds. Prepare your self for one big head ache the next day.

3.75/5  rDev +44.8%

Schlitz O.M.L Malt Liquor brewed by JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. This brew has an ABV of 5.9% The pour on this brew is nice. This brew pours out a nice golden amber color with a nice white head. The smell is corn with some grans. There is nothing bad about this brew so far. There is a lot corn in the taste of this brew but it has a nice balance to it. This brew goes down nice for having a 5.9% ABV. Schlitz Malt Liquor is one of the better Malt Liquors on the market. There is nothing over powering in this brew. Overall I'm giving this brew a 3.75 out of 5. I would get this brew again.

2.06/5  rDev -20.5%

Pours to a thin white head and gold color. Aroma is veggie, corny and sweet. Flavor is sweet, grainy, with no hop character to speak of. Mouth feel is rough, overly carbonated. Overall impression is that this is an alcohol delivery device that is barely enjoyable.

3.19/5  rDev +23.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Purchased at the LCBO for $4.10 for a 650ml bottle. Served at 4deg C in a draught glass

A- Opens ok and pours a tiny white head that is gone in seconds. Medium gold color and filtered clear

S- Some hops and malt but mild

T- Good general brew. North American style all the way and a decent example of it. Has a good hop base compared to similar styles.

M- A bit creamy which is a plus

O- Good North American beer. Have had a lot worse than this one.

Food Pairing

This pretty strong flavored brew went well with....... BBQ'd hot dogs. Top 'em the way you like 'em

Enjoy

3.2/5  rDev +23.6%

Poured from a brown 40 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, some sweetness. Taste is crisp, malty, not very flavorful but actually quite refreshing. Feels light in the mouth and is very drinkable, probably more so than any other malt liquor I have had. Overall not a bad example of this beer style.

3.17/5  rDev +22.4%

What do you get when you combine an impromptu road trip, an inevitable gas station stop, & insatiable curiosity? Well, in this case you get me reviewing Schlitz Blue Bull.

Pint can from a so-cheap-it's-nuts 4-pack cracked open for glass. Highly carbonated yellow, maybe a centimeter of white thick head come up & then goes poof, though the lacing is still there. Smell reminds me of apple, plus sweet corn (if "corn" is a surprise, honestly, malt liquor is not for you), though in a way not annoying at all. Think sweet corn in the sense of the kind you can get at the fair or something, not a bad thing really.

So how does it taste? Let's find out:

Pale malt (as in actual malt) comes through in a way normally not associated with these, along with what the smell already notes to. Subtle still though. The carbonation actually calms down to make it go down as richer than you'd think.

This is going to sound like sacrilege here, but this is a good beer. If this were available where I actually live, it'd be a regular when I wasn't holding craft money. Lawnmower steez for places where lawns don't grow that well.

3.1/5  rDev +19.7%

Pours pale yellow with a large white head. Corny mild aroma. Malty fizzy taste. Watery mouthfeel. Everything you love in a malt liquor. The point was more alcohol and little beer taste. We used to buy kegs of this stuff for parties in the summer and it was a huge hit. The 18 to 25 year old crowd loved this stuff. As a craft beer drinker I would have rate this a slightly better than average as a malt liquor and fairly much in the middle of the pack when it comes to adjunct American macros. The modern version is best avoided altogether unless pounding beers is your game.

2.92/5  rDev +12.7%

Yeah, this shit's OK. The Blue and the Red Bull Schlitz varieties are more similar in the can than in the big bottle. The carbonation sort of ruins the mouthfeel from the can and hides the taste. Some might appreciate this, but I spent 1.25 on this can and I wanna taste my malt/adjuncts! Fuck y'all, Schlitz. (I mean Pabst!)

4.23/5  rDev +63.3%

Appearance is yellow color

Smell : Schlitz Malt Liquor smells like a malt liquor

Taste: This beer has character to it ! It is not off putting to taste to it or no taste. The taste has a light grainy sweetness to it actually balanced off with -grassy hop bitterness . It is not overly sweet like some malt liquors.

mouthfeel : Nice body with great carbonation

Schlitz malt liquor is one top malt liquors out there for taste and value on market. This beer beats out 99 percent lagers out there. It is well made beer with great value. Majority of people have a perception malt liquor is cheap and ghetto drank! This is far from the truth of Schlitz malt liquor which is high quality with awesome price to it. Some people will never get over their small minded out look on life and beer !

The taste has a light grainy sweetness to it actually balanced with a wisp of piney-grassy hop bitterness and flavour. This is a little less grain-tasting, sweet, and full-bodied than some, like

2.88/5  rDev +11.2%

Schlitz Malt Liquor is an interesting brand in this genre. It has a smallish head and light yellow color; also relatively minimal carbonation. The smell is very lager-like and mild. This malt liquor, while having a rather harsh taste that takes some adjusting to, does have distinct characteristics and could be described as much more beer-like than most malt liquors. The taste is harsh on the front end, but winds up mild and satisfying at the end. Mouthfeel is crisp and pleasant. Drinkability for Schlitz Malt Liquor is contingent upon it being served very cold and kept that way. I'd recommend this with spicy or salty foods, maybe even raw oysters. Overall, it's okay. I'm sure I'll drink it again at some point. I drank this out of a 40 oz. bottle in a chalice over a one day period.

RJT

3.01/5  rDev +16.2%

Schlitz Malt Liquor, the prominent malt liquor around these parts of town.

It's hard to go somewhere and not find Schlitz Malt Liquor available.

Schlitz is non-offensive, and this is true only when it's fresh.

Fresh Schlitz has a nice malty nose. With some fringes of adjuncts way in the foreground. No full on graininess apparent.

Schlitz's taste is quite good for the style. Mid-bodied, with some sweet pale malt up front. Some grain the background, with a sweeping honey note. Not bad.

Schlitz is good for what it is. These are quite drinkable ice cold on a hot day. The price factor is also nice, for times when you're on a budget.

2.88/5  rDev +11.2%

16 oz tallboy can pours a very clear light gold color with a fluffy, but surprisingly dense, white foam. Retention is actually pretty decent and leaves zero lacing in it's wake. One the better looking malt lickas I've seen.

Nose is heavily laden with light cereal grains and alcohol fruitiness. Pretty clean, not getting many off notes.

This bull is pretty sweet, almost sugary graininess with a bit of tropical fruit. Alcohol and a dollop of what I am assuming is hops make for a drying and mildly bitter finish. ABV is pretty restrained but still noticeable. Carbonation is about medium or slightly low for a malt liquor. Pretty slick and it slides down the throat with ease. Would rather have one of these than say...a bud light.

2.2/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Malty adjunct lager with strong grainy taste.

2.53/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Medium gold color with a decent white head that fades to a thin layer, good lace. Herbal aroma with grains and alcohol. Decent flavor, begins with malt sweetness, strong alcohol, finish is dry and hoppy. Should be consumed ice cold. Its a bit rough around the edges, but one can do worse for the money. I can think of several nationals that are not as good and cost more than this one.

2.08/5  rDev -19.7%

Pours an ultra clear yellow brew.

Smell is damn close to no smell, just a little grain and yeast. It doesn't smell bad; it just almost has no smell.

Taste is a bit sweet and a light grain flavor; there is a noticeable amount of hops in this.

Mouthfeel is average at best.

More drinkable than you would think. This isn't necessarily inferior to Budweiser, but it is just really an Alcohol delivery device.

2.8/5  rDev +8.1%

The purchase of this brew is economically sound, whole lotta bang for your buck...
The product itself pours a medium golden hue with limited head, the body is medium/light.
The taste is actually very well balanced but weak.
The aroma is crisp.
Another sound (brown paper bag) brew, economically speaking.

3.75/5  rDev +44.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Okay, so this beer is tossed in with all of the ghetto brews, some of which cause the worst bitter beer face while you are dirnking them. they are high alcohol and taste like crap but you swallow them down, not for the taste, but for the sole purpose of getting hammered.

During my college years when my monthly beer budget was 1% what it is today, my choices were limited to the ghetto brew aisle. I tried just about everything until i found the Schlitz 32s for 89 cents. 15 years later, I still drink this beer along with a ton of "ooh la la" stuff, and still love it. Sometimes when serving at home I will pour some into a glass and give it to a guest and almost everyone likes it, their jaws drop when I tell them it was Schlitz malt liquor.

Bottom line, don't let the label and aggressive ghetto targeted marketing fool you, this is a good beer, especially for the price.

4.46/5  rDev +72.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I became introduced to Schlitz Malt Liquor 35 years ago as a teen. It was the drink of my older brother. After trying different beers over the years, I found myself returning and sticking to the Bull. The taste is smooth and original. I find it like an energy drink. I drink it during my softball tournaments and stay energized. It doesn't leave the aftertaste as other high priced beers does. It is not considered as a quick drunk beer to me and my sports friends. It is the beer of choice, and trust me we can afford any beer out there, but we prefer our Bull.

to view more.
Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)