Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)

poor

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-27-2002)
4.75/5  rDev +82%

EdwardFortyHands, Jul 09, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +72.4%

jeffduyedi, Sep 03, 2013
4.46/5  rDev +70.9%

I became introduced to Schlitz Malt Liquor 35 years ago as a teen. It was the drink of my older brother. After trying different beers over the years, I found myself returning and sticking to the Bull. The taste is smooth and original. I find it like an energy drink. I drink it during my softball tournaments and stay energized. It doesn't leave the aftertaste as other high priced beers does. It is not considered as a quick drunk beer to me and my sports friends. It is the beer of choice, and trust me we can afford any beer out there, but we prefer our Bull.

crm169, Nov 13, 2013
4.43/5  rDev +69.7%

this review is for all you beer snobs who actually poured this swill into a fucking glass!

AppeArance: blue silver.and black can with a badass bull, loks cool!
Smell: I don't know cause I didn't fucking smell.it
Taste: it taste pretty damn good for.a cheap ass malt licka!
Mouthfeel: it feels like a fucking beer in my mouth.
Overall: its a cheap buzz! The best commercial malt.liquor available. Its cheap! It doesn't taste like shit(miller lite) its nearly 6%, when you cant afford a damn stout or ipa or tripel wtf ever man drink some fuckin malt licka for.a cheap buzz ! Hoggie I love you!!!$

drinkAK, Sep 13, 2013
4.23/5  rDev +62.1%

Appearance is yellow color

Smell : Schlitz Malt Liquor smells like a malt liquor

Taste: This beer has character to it ! It is not off putting to taste to it or no taste. The taste has a light grainy sweetness to it actually balanced off with -grassy hop bitterness . It is not overly sweet like some malt liquors.

mouthfeel : Nice body with great carbonation

Schlitz malt liquor is one top malt liquors out there for taste and value on market. This beer beats out 99 percent lagers out there. It is well made beer with great value. Majority of people have a perception malt liquor is cheap and ghetto drank! This is far from the truth of Schlitz malt liquor which is high quality with awesome price to it. Some people will never get over their small minded out look on life and beer !

bbluemzbeer, Nov 04, 2013
4.13/5  rDev +58.2%

Don't know what these other folks are talking about, but this beer is awesome. It's on the cheaper end of the price scale but don't let it fool you. It's smooth, balanced, but on the malty side. Great smooth silky texture and mouth feel. This has become my standard go to "i want a beer" beer. Highly recommended, but don't confuse it with the other varieties of schlitz. Look for the Blue Bull.

merddyn2002, Sep 25, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +58.2%

Really impressed with this beer!

Pours into an ice cold mug from a quart.
Pale gold color. Head was only thick due to the coolness of the mug mind you. other than that it subsides.

Smells lemony orangish to me with some carbonization hit.

In the mouth it feels simple as simple can get. Easy to drink on. hits the tongue, fast carbonization and fizz and then as it slides to the throat, gone! Easy down.

Taste is a sweet malt! Thats all I can sum up for you in the taste department. As far as this style goes. I can tell you this.. I NEVER drink this beer as it warms up. I keep it ice cold the entire time. It does not take away from the taste of it. It preserves the flavor HAHA!! This one I would actually say its ok to let it warm up a bit due to thee sweetness and it would be ok.

This one tops my list of malt liqours for now til I find a better one but This is still a good go-to for your malty needs.

basscram, Jun 09, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +57.1%

poured out of the can. no real head, no real smell. dark gold color. this one goes down smooth, with little taste and no aftertaste. very unlike ice beers with the same alcohol content, as ice beers tend to have an unpleasant alcohol smell and leave an aftertaste. would definitely go back to this one.

7beerphil, Dec 03, 2010
4.05/5  rDev +55.2%

Poured from a 24oz can into a beer mug.

Appearance/Smell - Appears clear golden/pale yellow with an inch of frothy head that surprisingly holds very well and clings to the glass. Finishes with sticky, spotty lacing, and has very high carbonation, as well as pretty large bubbles. Looks very inviting! Smells of sweet corn, mixed vegetables, a little grains, tart grape and a little malt. Hints of metal as well, and all very balanced, nothing dominates. Reminds me of an average American Adjunct, nothing offensive!

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of loads of sweet malt, sweet corn, mixed vegetables and grains all mixed together with hints of metallic twang. As well as hints of alcohol and tart grape, finishes with a musty, moldy hop bitterness, but at least it's there! Mouthfeel is smooth, semi creamy, and medium bodied. Surprisingly has a small bite of carbonation on the palate, although it has very high carbonation. overall pretty desirable body!

Drinkability/Final thoughts - The drinkability of this Malt is overwhelming! You could drink it all night long because it doesn't develop any offensive odors or flavors as it warms. I am very impressed by the appearance of this malt, retains it's high carbonation and a creamy ring around the glass throughout entire consumption! I'm just blown away, very impressive all around, flavors not experienced in any other malt that Iv tried.

If your into Malt Liquor, than you must try this! Cheers!

PintOHops, Mar 17, 2009

troobie, Jul 01, 2013
3.94/5  rDev +51%

I Honestly do not understand why this VERY good "Malt Liquor" gets so many Bad reviews..? I Myself have always enjoyed it a GR8 Deal ~it is crisp,refreshing,and has a very rich full flavor,maybe it's all the craft beer "Snobs" ...or perhaps the "Light Beer" drinkers who are just not used to a somewhat Full flavored semi strong beer that actually has some taste and body~it pours a nice straw,Golden colour,with plenty of carbonation & a pillowy white head,that even leaves a nice lacing around your beer glass of choice...I Know a lot of people slam ALL Malt Liquors,but it's just "Strong Beer" people,Even though @ 5.9 ABV "Schlitz O.M.L" really does not pack that much of a Punch,I just drink it because it taste awesome to me,and judging from a LOT of the reviews here I am NOT Alone in my love of this tasty beverage~it's just too bad that so many people do not give "Malt Liquors" in General a chance,and think all of it is just Cheap Crap that taste like shit,the Real Truth is that a lot of Malt Liquors are VERY Good Beers,if you happen to enjoy a full bodied,rich,American Strong Beer that actually taste like a REAL Beer~Cheers;)

Beerwolf666, Apr 24, 2014
3.83/5  rDev +46.7%

Appearance: Light yellow/straw color, with a frothy, white head. The beer leaves some nice lacing.

Aroma: smells a lot like P.B.R., but less grassy, with a corn adjunct sweetness donating the aroma. There is, however, a general graininess and grass aspect regarding the aroma.

Taste: Sweeness, corn, grain, a grassy bitterness, fruit, and white bread--in that order.

Finish: dry, crisp, refreshing.

Mouthfeel: A nice balance for the style: light and watery, but not too light and watery.

Overall: I got the last 12 pack in my local Ingles, and it isn't restocking. And sadly, I've never seen it anywhere else in person. This is a great go-to/daily beer, but I have a feeling I may not see it again for a long time. There is nothing offensive about this beer. Nor is it the case that the beer is lacking in aroma, Flavor, or body.

JoLight, Jul 18, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +43.7%

SurpriseTruck, Sep 07, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +43.7%

Okay, so this beer is tossed in with all of the ghetto brews, some of which cause the worst bitter beer face while you are dirnking them. they are high alcohol and taste like crap but you swallow them down, not for the taste, but for the sole purpose of getting hammered.

During my college years when my monthly beer budget was 1% what it is today, my choices were limited to the ghetto brew aisle. I tried just about everything until i found the Schlitz 32s for 89 cents. 15 years later, I still drink this beer along with a ton of "ooh la la" stuff, and still love it. Sometimes when serving at home I will pour some into a glass and give it to a guest and almost everyone likes it, their jaws drop when I tell them it was Schlitz malt liquor.

Bottom line, don't let the label and aggressive ghetto targeted marketing fool you, this is a good beer, especially for the price.

Kuongming, Feb 16, 2013
3.68/5  rDev +41%

Got this in a quart from the lcbo. Drank straigt from the bottle, nice golden yellow color, and after every swig nice head is left over. Smells more like a beer than a malt, but odd at the same time. Taste is good on this one, i docked it .5 because it gets rather flat after about 10-15 swigs. Otherwise, tastes like macro, booze is hidden, goes down smooth. I like it. Mouthfeel is full, and smooth. Drinkability is perfect, when ice cold, its really easy to pound em back, has more taste than a macro, but its low in ABV so thats kind of a turn off, but otherwise rock solid malt.

steeler, Feb 14, 2009
3.67/5  rDev +40.6%

joncocktotone, Yesterday at 04:02 AM
3.65/5  rDev +39.8%

40z. brown bagged.

A: Appears to be a brown bag with a bit of brown bottle prairie doggin'.

S: Smells kind of light a dive... stale beer and mildew-y cardboard/paperbag. A bit of sweetness probably from corn but maybe rice.

T/M: It actually has a surprising amount of flavor. Some biscuit and cereal malts that transition smoothly into a grainy, almost husky malt. Is that a wisp of grassy hops? Maybe I'm already drunk. Body is medium light with slightly elevated carbonation.

D: 5.9% is pretty low for a malt liquor. This wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. At least pretty good sippin' from the bottle, crouchin' on the corner, shootin' dice with ashy Larry. Tyrone Biggums?!?!?! This is not cocaine in a can and no you can not taste my penis. Now get over here, Ronda!

pwoods, Jan 19, 2011

67cuda, Dec 11, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +34.1%

An excellent American Malt Liquor. Schlitz OML has a malty character with slight fusel alcohol note mixed with an apple meets bready overtone with slight grassy character. It is rich by malt liquor standards. Tastes pleasant. Drink only when cold. It is horrid warm. I have drank this in cans and in 40 ounce bottles. I favor it in 40's. Does nothing wrong in malt liquor. Only Colt 45 for me is a better malt liquor, or Olde English 800. I rate this 3.50. A superb cheap drunk. I like this and drink it every so often.

KentT, Jun 27, 2014

boudreaux, Feb 11, 2012

fastrodney, Jun 16, 2013

MaddDogg84, Feb 04, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +33.3%

This has been the first time that I've had a malt liquor in quite some time as in years. I'm actually surprised by it a little. The appearance of this brew looks similar to any mass produced american beer golden yellow with a thin head. It smells only a little bit more malty than other mass produced beers. I'm even surprised by the taste its really not that bad no wonder bums drink this stuff. I mean I don't like IPAs and most of them cost two to three times as much as this stuff. Theres not much carbonation in each sip and it does go down pretty smoothly. All in all this stuff is very drinkable for what it is its cheap, smooth, not bad tasting, and very cheap.

armock, Oct 04, 2007
3.45/5  rDev +32.2%

Golden, brownish beer with a thick, foamy head that dissolves slowly. Smells of sweet corn and musty grain. Taste is super sweet, like sugar water with some hints of adjuncts. None of the musty, metallic flavor you get with some malt liquors. Seriously though, is this blended with corn syrup? It's more like a sweet tea than beer.

keeganfrank, Jul 11, 2012
3.45/5  rDev +32.2%

This is decent, particularly for what it is. Like other lower-alcohol malt liquors, it basically has a character of a slightly stronger basic American pale lager. It basically has an American-lager "beer" smell and taste. It's simple and light but somewhat tasty, smooth, and inoffensive.

Bright yellow-gold, it has a fairly big white head that steadily shrinks to a thin ring but leaves behind a little weak lace.

The aroma is mostly mild grain and cooked rice with a hint of piney-grassy hops and a faint alcohol whiff to it.

The taste has a light grainy sweetness to it actually balanced with a wisp of piney-grassy hop bitterness and flavour. This is a little less grain-tasting, sweet, and full-bodied than some, like Mickey's or Colt 45, but has a slightly stronger hop chracter and bitterness, making it more well-rounded.

Offa, Oct 16, 2008
Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)