Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)

poor

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-27-2002

This is the nastiest stuff I've ever had. I bought a 40 of it and only had 3 sips. One to taste it, the second to taste again, becuase I didn't believe how nasty it was, and the third just to make sure. The color was nothing special, just a really pale yellow, with no head, but some carbonation. The smell was like a skunk was in a dirty sock, takin' brown. The taste was just like the smell unfortunately. Needless to say, I'm never going to buy another. If there were 0 on here, it would get a total score of 0. (514 characters)

1.18/5  rDev -57.4%

I'll confess, I picked up a pint of this on a whim. Not often you get a pint this cheap. It cost me just buck and some pocket change. Pours fairly well, and has a rather nice color to it. Doesn't really smell like much. This last bit's the most surprising, because it tastes like a puddle of frat-party vomit. High alcohol, low on every other feature that really makes beer enjoyable. As I drank it, I felt myself developing an urge to watch football excessively and crush the can on my head. I'd recommend buying a can, just to remind yourself why you shell out the extra cash for a beer that doesn't taste like it was fished from a drainage ditch. (649 characters)

1.48/5  rDev -46.6%

Poured pretty aggressively yielding 2 fingers of white head that dissipated at a medium rate. The beer is a clear straw color with good carbonation.

Smells skunky with a bit of malt and grain.

tastes skunky and grainy. Really bad.

Clean and crisp mouthfeel.

Drinking this almost makes me wanna puke. Very hard to drink.

Wish we got a clear picture of the can before it was crushed. lol... (393 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Like most malt liquors, Schlitz is something I hope to never drink again. The yellow color and poor head make me think it should be enjoyed from the can. Wait, did I just say enjoy? There was nothing enjoyable about the taste or smell. Both were of corny grains and cheap alcohol. The body was light and a little syrupy. At just under six percent, this isn't even good for getting drunk. (387 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -43%

Well I've had worse malt liquors but not much worse. It poured a piss yellow color with a suprisingy decent head that stayed around and left a touch of lace. The smell was horrible with nothing but skunk and grain. The taste was just as bad, with a really nasty sweetness that made me pucker with disgust after every sip. This is one I will never be drinking again, give me a Mickey's any day! (393 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Could be the worst brew my young beer intellect has had yet. Worse, I don't find Schlitz to be as bad as it is made out to be. But this, was bad. Even the bottle is ghetto. It is just a silver label with the "Blue Bull" and it says Schlitz Malt Liquor. Can you make something generic if it is already generic. The brew itself is a cheap, alcoholic speedball. It has no redeeming qualities as the taste is very weak and bitter, but the mouthfeel is one of smoothness because it goes right down the pike. This is designed for someone to slam a couple on the cheap and get their buzz. (581 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -38.3%

Pours a clear pale gold with a minimal frothy head and not a lot of lace. The aroma is sweet with some malt bread and vegetal elements noticeable. The taste is quite full flavored for a macro lager, but not pleasant. Heavy sweetness mixes with cooked corn and other vegetal flavors upfront. In the background there's a dull hop bitterness and some alcohol spice. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and heavily carbonated and even booze numbing.

This is a poor example of a malt liquor, its too sweet and vegetal. (509 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -36.5%

The Bull in a CAN! Wow. It is now identified as Schlitz Malt Liquor O. M. L. (Original Malt Liquor). CAN you dig it? The bull still reminds me of Babe, Paul Bunyan's companion. Big, blue, rampaging ...

I got a finger of rocky, bone-white head that gradually settled into wisps. Color was a pretty sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was really sweet, almost unnaturally so. Definitely fusel, like walking into a dry cleaner's. Oof. It had a medium mouthfeel, which was nice, but the taste was a combination of perfume, bubble gum and cereal. And to think that I was once intimidated by this stuff ... Now, it just seemed cheap and not well made at all. The finish was dry, but it left a lingering taste of cereal in my mouth. My CAN held 24 ounces and that was PLENTY, believe me. I CANnot get my mind around a 40 of this dreck. (839 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -35.7%

Awesome can!

Pours a clear fizzy yellow. Big white head. Smells like corn malt, tastes like skunky corn malt, and there really isn't much going on here. It's a sweeter beer than most, so maybe they actually used some sort of malt base.

Still, it's mostly carbonated water. (275 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -35%

Definite "I am drinking this because of the Alcohol" beer. It does have the malt tast minus the taste of hops. This is because the overwhelming tastes of nail polish remover kills your tastebuds. Prepare your self for one big head ache the next day. (249 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -32.1%

Of all that is unholy, what do we need malt liquer in the world? This is what we call liquid crack. Not because of the wonderful taste, but because it made you stupid. It pours a thin yellow colour with little head that is gone in the blink of an eye. The smell was of corn and malts, but it did make my stomach turn. The taste was thin and almost non-exsistant. I still can't believe I used a clean pilsner glass for this. Should have kicked it on the block in a brown paper bag.
Word (486 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -31%

This tall boy pours a deep golden hue, there is a slight loose knitted ring of head around the rim of the glass. Scattered ascending bubbles of carbonation are present.

What a glorious beer for my #50

There is a strong nose of corn present among a backdrop of alcohol.

This beer seems thick on the tongue with a lot of corn flavor present.

Overall, I wouldn’t say this beer has no redeeming qualities. It has ‘a’ flavor, it is cold and fluid, and has a little more character than some of the more respected beers out there. (538 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -30.7%

Had this in a can - well, it’s what was available. Aroma is weak, wan and malty. It pours a very uninspiring clear pale yellow; at least the white head is fairly thick. Flavor is malty and a little fruity, actually better than I expected but still not much. Then again, I have been spoiled rotten by craft brews. Texture is smooth but hardly fizzy at all - I’ve drunk soymilk that left more of a tingle. I guess you have to drink swill occasionally so you can better appreciate the real stuff. (497 characters)

1.95/5  rDev -29.6%

Poured into Sam Adams Sensory Glass

Pours a 1/2 finger hear that fizzles down quickly. No head. No retention. No lace. Color is a clear straw yellow.

Aroma is skunky and metallic grain. Not much else.

Taste is metallic grain just like the smell. Not skunky. Very bad. Hard to keep in mouth for very long.

Mouthfeel: CRISP like an American macro lager. Ends with an unpleasant chewy aftertaste.

Overall, this is a pretty bad beer. Shared a pint with ThePeskyDingo (thank heavens I didn't have to drink this animal myself). Warning: Stay Away from DAS BULL! (570 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -28.9%

A - Light and yellow. No head and no carbonation visible.

S - Really grainy. Sugary. Can smell the corn.

T - I have yucky written down. Really sweet. Corny and grainy.

M - Thin and fizzy. Nothing exciting.

D - Don't want more but it will get ya drunk if that's what you want. (279 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured a few ounces into a juice glass for color and smell. The rest was consumed out of the bottle.

A - pale golden yellow with a thin lacing of soft, white head that leaves a thin lacing

S - grains, metal, corn, alcohol

T - grainy, apples, metal, corn, sweet, alcohol

M - warm, crisp, lightly bodied

This is pretty foul. It has a warm, metallic, grainy taste that's incredibly displeasing. I admit that I bought this more for a cheap buzz than anything else, but I'll steer clear in the future. (501 characters)

The Schlitz mizzle liquor bizzy is one of those rizzle baller fo shizzle. In its own way, its an American steppin' classic fo' sho'. This aint a gin n' juice tizzle one seeks out fo` its taste or uniqueness fo gettin yo pimp on. No, this gin n' juice is typically seen as a econizzles n easily acquired alcohol delivery system. Its a rite of passage of sorts ta drizzink this shot calla n i'd recommend tizzle everyone try it at least once ta git a feel fo` it . Know what im sayin?

The Bull pours witta fizzy yellow appearance n a weak heezee. Tha smell is all miznalt n alcohol fo gettin yo pimp on.

The taste is dominated by sickly sweet malts n an alcohol warmth thizzay creeps in n brotha all else . Its just anotha homocide. No real hop presence ta speak of n shit. Driznink this one cold in tha dogg pound. The gin n' juice gets baller n stale as it warms ridin' in mah double R.

Fizzle carbonizzle but bad mouthfeel cuz Im tha Double O G. Watery n cloyingly sweet at tha same time, it leaves a bad aftertaste. Not vizzle drinkable at all like old skool shit. One is enough fo` me.

Avoid this gin n' juice in mizzy social sett'n . Ill slap tha taste out yo mouf. If you really wiznant ta give it a go, I'd recommend a trizzay ta tha corna Quik-Pak fo` a tall boi or a 40 doggystyle. Put that purchase in a hustla sack n driznink it stone cold n F-to-tha-izzast. (1,383 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A big imposing blue bull against a white brick wall on the can. I guess that says it all about what I'm getting myself into with this one. I'm hoping not to get gored, we'll see. Even though the proper way to drink a malt liqour is out of the can/bottle, I poured a small bit into a glass to judge the appearance. Pale yellow, fizzy with a head that goes to nothing almost immediately. Smells a harsh... goes with the taste. Sweetness and alcohol. A small bit apple-y. This one is hard to get down given how low in alcohol it is. Well I avoided the horns but can't say I'll mix it up with the Blue Bull again. (609 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours to a thin white head and gold color. Aroma is veggie, corny and sweet. Flavor is sweet, grainy, with no hop character to speak of. Mouth feel is rough, overly carbonated. Overall impression is that this is an alcohol delivery device that is barely enjoyable. (264 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours an ultra clear yellow brew.

Smell is damn close to no smell, just a little grain and yeast. It doesn't smell bad; it just almost has no smell.

Taste is a bit sweet and a light grain flavor; there is a noticeable amount of hops in this.

Mouthfeel is average at best.

More drinkable than you would think. This isn't necessarily inferior to Budweiser, but it is just really an Alcohol delivery device. (416 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -24.9%

A lightly amber beer; good for refreshing and summer days; little strong, generous ABV, ominpresent in its flavor; much hops and malt; smell like crispy bread, notes of malt flower; taste lightly bitter, grassy and sweet; try in a mug glass, with snacks; pasta is good too; 60% recommended. (290 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured from the original master cylinder, pale crystal clear golden straw hue with a pillowy snow white head that recedes quickly leaving ample lacing.
Sweet and corny dominate, slight alcohol whiff as well.
Sweet and corny again with some sharpness and an acride finish that is dry.
Very carbonated brew that really plays on the pallete.
Well you know the drill. (364 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -24.2%

It looks like a plastic display once poured, no movement. Odd. Tastes awfully metallic, like you're sucking a battery. Smells kinda of toasted. When you get it in those massive bottles I'm sure it does the trick for a good price. Highschool memories. (250 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -24.2%

My last stop on the bad beer train. Picked up the Blue Bull at a gas station here. Drank straight from the can.

Tastes like summer in college playing beer pong. Overly sweet taste that hides everything but the inevitable drunkenness at the end of the can. Not too much to say. This is pretty typical of malt liquors. I can't think of many redeeming things to say about this one. Aroma is faint, taste is not that great, feel is kind of watery. Overall a middle of the road malt liquor, which is to say stay the hell away. (522 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Let's face facts. You're riding the bull. It's a malt liquor in a can, so don't expect too much. That said, here we are drinking malt liquor out of a can. I think the theme of this beer can be summed up by visiting a porta-potty outside any given sporting event.

It pours a tainted urine yellow with a sweet smell that reminds me of pure urinal cake. The taste is unremarkable yet makes me pine for caramel candy. The finish is abrasive but since you know what you're doing you'll tolerate it. I don't even need to describe the mouthfeel. Ladies and gentlemen, if you're gonna ride a bull tonight - why not make it a Schlitz?

By the way, I passed a urine test by using Schlitz as my piss. (690 characters)

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)