1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)

poor

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-27-2002)
3.38/5  rDev +29%

this one pisses me off. only cuzz i cant find it locally. this is some good malt liquor. it would be without a doubt my daily beer if i could find it.

pours a decent body and head into my glass (normally i will just chug the can). nice carbonation. smell is decent some grain maybe some hops.

taste is unusually smooth and pleasant. excellent feel of the carbonation. if i were closer to milwaukee it would be my daily!

good choice.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

giblet, Aug 04, 2007
2.63/5  rDev +0.4%

Just a buffed up American beer. I wonder how this fits into the category of malt liquor when it does not even taste like malt liquor. This malt is in the middle of the road for me - I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. Goes down easy, but has a very unremarkable taste. Not that the taste is bad, but its just not there.

kguyty, Jul 22, 2007
2.8/5  rDev +6.9%

I bought a "40" of this stuff and poured it into a drinking glass. The appearance was not too bad. It's an electric crystal-clear golden with lots of carbonation bubbles and a decent bubbly off-white head. The head didn't dissapear entirely. The smell is faint, of cereal, like corn maybe. The taste is pretty sweet, also reminding me of corn, and leaves a syrupy bland aftertaste. The mouthfeel is good - smooth with a right amount of carbonation. Overall, I think 40 ounces is too much to drink of this stuff, but if you're on a tight budget, it'll keep you company well.

TravelingBeerMug, May 18, 2007
2.53/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

No date. From the 32 oz screw-top bomber into a pint glass, it’s a nice transparent gold color, capped by a thin white head that fades quickly leaving a ring, thin cap, and scattered lacing. Not terribly bad looking for a “cheap” beer. Not much on the nose, just a bit grassy. Taste is slightly sweet, grassy, a hint of citrus, a bit bready, and very lightly bitter on the finish. No real off-flavors detected. Mouth is wet and a bit thin with low carbonation. Drinkability is OK; unlike some other “cheap” beers, I can see me actually finishing a quart of this stuff.

Overall: For 1.59 for 32 oz, this one will give any macro swill a run for its money. Not recommended, but certainly worthwhile for getting messed up on a budget.

jettjon, Apr 26, 2007
2.95/5  rDev +12.6%

Well... the can's a work of friggin art. I'd build a coffeetable out of them if I knew how to build coffetables out of beer cans.

Aside from that, it pours yellow with a small, quickly dissolving white head.

Smells like faint malted barley and strong adjunct. No metal, but light hints of cream and vegetables. Not good, but not horrible.

Tastes a lot like it smells. Big malt, a little creamy, a little corny, with no hops of which to speak.

Not nearly as rough as your average Malt Liquor; it actually tastes like a maltier Budweiser. Not horrible, but not great.

mynie, Mar 31, 2007
3.03/5  rDev +15.6%

Schlitz Malt Liquor, the prominent malt liquor around these parts of town.

It's hard to go somewhere and not find Schlitz Malt Liquor available.

Schlitz is non-offensive, and this is true only when it's fresh.

Fresh Schlitz has a nice malty nose. With some fringes of adjuncts way in the foreground. No full on graininess apparent.

Schlitz's taste is quite good for the style. Mid-bodied, with some sweet pale malt up front. Some grain the background, with a sweeping honey note. Not bad.

Schlitz is good for what it is. These are quite drinkable ice cold on a hot day. The price factor is also nice, for times when you're on a budget.

HoustonTX, Mar 27, 2007
3.18/5  rDev +21.4%

Schlitz Malt Liquor pours a pale fizzy yellow with a fluffy white head from a brown thirty two ounce bottle. Smells like adjunct, but not unpleasantly so. Crisp, some metallic flavors are present. Pretty drinkable by malt liquor standards. If you are looking for malt liquor, this isn't a bad choice.

Drew966, Aug 07, 2006
2.95/5  rDev +12.6%

Yeah, this shit's OK. The Blue and the Red Bull Schlitz varieties are more similar in the can than in the big bottle. The carbonation sort of ruins the mouthfeel from the can and hides the taste. Some might appreciate this, but I spent 1.25 on this can and I wanna taste my malt/adjuncts! Fuck y'all, Schlitz. (I mean Pabst!)

MarkBlackout, Jul 04, 2006
2.78/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured a pale yellow color. Initially head is large, white and puffy, but rapidly fell to a thin coating. Smell is minimal with a slight sweet note. Taste is also very mild, and when the beer is very cold it is OK, as it warms it becomes less acceptable. Finish is refreshing. OK, but not much else.

tgbljb, Mar 27, 2006
2.88/5  rDev +9.9%

Okay, this is not that special of a beer, but it is exactly what it is. Crisp and clean and so easy to drink. Not a lot of flavor, but nothing bad. Anyway, it pours out a light straw color, very clear with a fizzy white head that clings to the glass a bit. yeah, i poured part of theis tall boy into a glass so i could see what it looks like. Anyway. It smells pretty decent. Has a little bit of a hop character. This is completely lacking in the taste which is very water like. I don't give it any gross points, so there is nothing wrong with it. As far as mouthfeel and drinkability, it is light and as easy to drink as water. If only the alcoholish flavors stayed hidden as it warmed up.

cracgor, Jan 24, 2006
2.08/5  rDev -20.6%

A lightly amber beer; good for refreshing and summer days; little strong, generous ABV, ominpresent in its flavor; much hops and malt; smell like crispy bread, notes of malt flower; taste lightly bitter, grassy and sweet; try in a mug glass, with snacks; pasta is good too; 60% recommended.

tesguino, Oct 26, 2005
2.65/5  rDev +1.1%

sh-KwOKK! The door opens accompanied by the sound of her whip. I'd seen her before, but never dared test my skills. Now she stands before me tall, lean, and cool. Light golden tan skin and nearly bleached white on top. Firm and sticky, like from too much hair gel. I'm a bit worried and I lean backward as I search for an escape. Seeing my weakness, she approaches and stands nose to nose. My goodness, I catch a hint of sweet perfume on this temptress ruffian. Wet sweet over a flowery hint. Not at all what I expected. In the moment I struggle with this surprise, she attacks. On her lips I taste memories of honey from her morning toast. Lilac flowers. Perhaps her heart is true? Yet her blue-collar nature shows through. Like drab cardboard, stiff and drab to the world. Yes, she's no pussy cat. She bites my tongue leaving a sting like rough vodka mixed with a fizzy warm un-cola. The encounter continues longer than I'd like, dry and thin on my end, until I'm left repellant. I hang in to serve my duty until, finally, the deed is done. I quietly side-step out of the room and, dazed, I wonder if I'll regret our encounter in the morning.

mentor, Oct 21, 2005
2.53/5  rDev -3.4%

Clear straw color with a full white head, active carbonation and slow bubbles with a nice constant carbonation throughout. Serious adjunct aromas and flavors with a strong biting corn taste. Medium bodied and smooth with a dry biting finish.

Per Label: Stroh Brewery Co. - Milwaukee, WI

($1.69 / 40 oz.)

RBorsato, Sep 19, 2005
2.5/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This review is part of Malt Likkapalooza I, the first head to head match in my new series pitting malt liquors against one another in a classic contest of strength, courage and stamina (on my part that is). The first contest will be between the venerable Colt 45 and the much respected Schlitz Malt Liquor Bull. Let's pop the tops and get this rodeo on the road.

Also medium amber and very slightly lighter than the Colt. It's strange, but when I hold the glasses side by side up to the sunlight, the colors look identical. The head on this one is the same off-white, lasts for an identical length of time and leaves an identical amount and pattern of lace. It's difficult to tell these two beers apart from an appearance standpoint.

The aromas are similar and similarly inoffensive. I'll have to give the edge to the Bull due its greater power and floral scent. If they were truly horrendous, the beer with the strongest nose would have scored the lowest.

They taste nearly identical. This beer has more flavor and another layer of flavor complexity compared to its competitor. Let's not get too excited here, I'm talking about a two-dimensional flavor profile rather than a one-dimensional one. These are simple creatures after all. Slight nod to the Bull.

The body on this beer is indistinguishable from its competitor. The carbonation is a little more lively, which makes me like the mouthfeel a tad more (although it isn't worth a higher score). Like the Colt, the alcohol is well hidden.

I don't often reach for an ice-cold malt liquor (okay, never), but if I was so inclined, this wouldn't be a bad way to go. It wins this head to head between the two grizzled veterans of the style and will now be awarded the laurel wreath as the victor in Malt Likkapalooza I. It also wins the ever important 'best can' category thanks to the big blue Bull looking to kick a little Colt.

BuckeyeNation, Jul 17, 2005

The Schlitz mizzle liquor bizzy is one of those rizzle baller fo shizzle. In its own way, its an American steppin' classic fo' sho'. This aint a gin n' juice tizzle one seeks out fo` its taste or uniqueness fo gettin yo pimp on. No, this gin n' juice is typically seen as a econizzles n easily acquired alcohol delivery system. Its a rite of passage of sorts ta drizzink this shot calla n i'd recommend tizzle everyone try it at least once ta git a feel fo` it . Know what im sayin?

The Bull pours witta fizzy yellow appearance n a weak heezee. Tha smell is all miznalt n alcohol fo gettin yo pimp on.

The taste is dominated by sickly sweet malts n an alcohol warmth thizzay creeps in n brotha all else . Its just anotha homocide. No real hop presence ta speak of n shit. Driznink this one cold in tha dogg pound. The gin n' juice gets baller n stale as it warms ridin' in mah double R.

Fizzle carbonizzle but bad mouthfeel cuz Im tha Double O G. Watery n cloyingly sweet at tha same time, it leaves a bad aftertaste. Not vizzle drinkable at all like old skool shit. One is enough fo` me.

Avoid this gin n' juice in mizzy social sett'n . Ill slap tha taste out yo mouf. If you really wiznant ta give it a go, I'd recommend a trizzay ta tha corna Quik-Pak fo` a tall boi or a 40 doggystyle. Put that purchase in a hustla sack n driznink it stone cold n F-to-tha-izzast.

Dubblebock, Apr 09, 2005
2.5/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Oh man I have no idea why I had this in my fridge or decided to drink it in the middle of the day, but I did (boredom). This has that malt liquor taste but isn't quite as alcoholy or hot as other malt liquors. Decently crisp and it has that grainy adjuncty sweetness I would compare to Mickey's. As with all malt liquors, this beer sucks once its not ice cold. Ok, enough of this, I need an imp stout.

granger10, Mar 31, 2005
2.75/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This isn't as nasty as I remember from when I had this is high school. The appearance is yellow with a foamy head that quickly subsides. Aroma is that sweet malt liquor smell that all malt liquors seem to have in common, this is fairly unoffensive when compared to others. Taste isn't as sickly sweet as I remember. RIght now it seems just like any adjunct lager, just with more alocohol and a little bit more sweetness. I'm not gonna lie and say this is good, however, it is slightly better than the average malt liquor.

Gagnonsux, Jan 22, 2005
1.88/5  rDev -28.2%

Of all that is unholy, what do we need malt liquer in the world? This is what we call liquid crack. Not because of the wonderful taste, but because it made you stupid. It pours a thin yellow colour with little head that is gone in the blink of an eye. The smell was of corn and malts, but it did make my stomach turn. The taste was thin and almost non-exsistant. I still can't believe I used a clean pilsner glass for this. Should have kicked it on the block in a brown paper bag.
Word

CBFanWish, Apr 23, 2004
1.58/5  rDev -39.7%

Well I've had worse malt liquors but not much worse. It poured a piss yellow color with a suprisingy decent head that stayed around and left a touch of lace. The smell was horrible with nothing but skunk and grain. The taste was just as bad, with a really nasty sweetness that made me pucker with disgust after every sip. This is one I will never be drinking again, give me a Mickey's any day!

Dmann, Mar 06, 2004
2.13/5  rDev -18.7%

Pours an ultra clear yellow brew.

Smell is damn close to no smell, just a little grain and yeast. It doesn't smell bad; it just almost has no smell.

Taste is a bit sweet and a light grain flavor; there is a noticeable amount of hops in this.

Mouthfeel is average at best.

More drinkable than you would think. This isn't necessarily inferior to Budweiser, but it is just really an Alcohol delivery device.

Zorro, Mar 06, 2004
1.15/5  rDev -56.1%

I'll confess, I picked up a pint of this on a whim. Not often you get a pint this cheap. It cost me just buck and some pocket change. Pours fairly well, and has a rather nice color to it. Doesn't really smell like much. This last bit's the most surprising, because it tastes like a puddle of frat-party vomit. High alcohol, low on every other feature that really makes beer enjoyable. As I drank it, I felt myself developing an urge to watch football excessively and crush the can on my head. I'd recommend buying a can, just to remind yourself why you shell out the extra cash for a beer that doesn't taste like it was fished from a drainage ditch.

SetarconeX, Aug 05, 2003
2.4/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Standard macro fare with the basic formula we expect. This is one of the big 3's more potent offerings. Appearance is very straightfoward yellow with a light white head. Little retention and only mild lacing. Strong sense of adjuncts and very little aroma to impress the drinker.

AtLagerHeads, Apr 16, 2003
1.93/5  rDev -26.3%

This tall boy pours a deep golden hue, there is a slight loose knitted ring of head around the rim of the glass. Scattered ascending bubbles of carbonation are present.

What a glorious beer for my #50

There is a strong nose of corn present among a backdrop of alcohol.

This beer seems thick on the tongue with a lot of corn flavor present.

Overall, I wouldn’t say this beer has no redeeming qualities. It has ‘a’ flavor, it is cold and fluid, and has a little more character than some of the more respected beers out there.

elmocoso, Mar 14, 2003
2.78/5  rDev +6.1%

The purchase of this brew is economically sound, whole lotta bang for your buck...
The product itself pours a medium golden hue with limited head, the body is medium/light.
The taste is actually very well balanced but weak.
The aroma is crisp.
Another sound (brown paper bag) brew, economically speaking.

Shiloh, Feb 27, 2003
2.13/5  rDev -18.7%

Straw like yellow with lots of tiny bubbles. Big bubbly head fades down quickly to a thin layer atop the brew. Light, sweet grain smell on the nose. Light sweetness on the tongue with a bit of harsh bitterness in the middle. "Hangin' wit da hommies on dis brew."

stoutman, Feb 23, 2003
Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)