Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor)

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 03-27-2002

3.07/5  rDev +15%

Poured from a 24 oz can into pint glass.

A - Standard crystal clear yellow. A little on the light side for the style. A finger of white head comes and goes without a trace.

S - Soft, mild aroma of sweet corn. Some sulfur is hiding in the corners. Amazingly unoffensive and mild for a malt liquor, I like it.

T - Strangely subdued. Cereal grain with a soft sweetness followed by a whisper of green apple peel. A dusty/beach water taste starts to sour things up in the finish until an abrupt bitterness with a hint of alcohol cleans up.

M - Light bodied but thinner than expected for the style. Moderate carbonation is a little too low.

D - Another malt liquor really, nothing more and nothing less. Strikingly unoffensive but also lacking the punch it needs.

2.13/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Let's face facts. You're riding the bull. It's a malt liquor in a can, so don't expect too much. That said, here we are drinking malt liquor out of a can. I think the theme of this beer can be summed up by visiting a porta-potty outside any given sporting event.

It pours a tainted urine yellow with a sweet smell that reminds me of pure urinal cake. The taste is unremarkable yet makes me pine for caramel candy. The finish is abrasive but since you know what you're doing you'll tolerate it. I don't even need to describe the mouthfeel. Ladies and gentlemen, if you're gonna ride a bull tonight - why not make it a Schlitz?

By the way, I passed a urine test by using Schlitz as my piss.

3.43/5  rDev +28.5%

This is decent, particularly for what it is. Like other lower-alcohol malt liquors, it basically has a character of a slightly stronger basic American pale lager. It basically has an American-lager "beer" smell and taste. It's simple and light but somewhat tasty, smooth, and inoffensive.

Bright yellow-gold, it has a fairly big white head that steadily shrinks to a thin ring but leaves behind a little weak lace.

The aroma is mostly mild grain and cooked rice with a hint of piney-grassy hops and a faint alcohol whiff to it.

The taste has a light grainy sweetness to it actually balanced with a wisp of piney-grassy hop bitterness and flavour. This is a little less grain-tasting, sweet, and full-bodied than some, like Mickey's or Colt 45, but has a slightly stronger hop chracter and bitterness, making it more well-rounded.

1.71/5  rDev -36%

Pours a clear pale gold with a minimal frothy head and not a lot of lace. The aroma is sweet with some malt bread and vegetal elements noticeable. The taste is quite full flavored for a macro lager, but not pleasant. Heavy sweetness mixes with cooked corn and other vegetal flavors upfront. In the background there's a dull hop bitterness and some alcohol spice. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and heavily carbonated and even booze numbing.

This is a poor example of a malt liquor, its too sweet and vegetal.

1.53/5  rDev -42.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Like most malt liquors, Schlitz is something I hope to never drink again. The yellow color and poor head make me think it should be enjoyed from the can. Wait, did I just say enjoy? There was nothing enjoyable about the taste or smell. Both were of corny grains and cheap alcohol. The body was light and a little syrupy. At just under six percent, this isn't even good for getting drunk.

1.78/5  rDev -33.3%

Awesome can!

Pours a clear fizzy yellow. Big white head. Smells like corn malt, tastes like skunky corn malt, and there really isn't much going on here. It's a sweeter beer than most, so maybe they actually used some sort of malt base.

Still, it's mostly carbonated water.

1.7/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Could be the worst brew my young beer intellect has had yet. Worse, I don't find Schlitz to be as bad as it is made out to be. But this, was bad. Even the bottle is ghetto. It is just a silver label with the "Blue Bull" and it says Schlitz Malt Liquor. Can you make something generic if it is already generic. The brew itself is a cheap, alcoholic speedball. It has no redeeming qualities as the taste is very weak and bitter, but the mouthfeel is one of smoothness because it goes right down the pike. This is designed for someone to slam a couple on the cheap and get their buzz.

3.07/5  rDev +15%

A- Two finger head faded as fast as it rose, golden greenish yellow hue. Keep it in the can or papaer bag.

S- Clean malts and stale hops.

T- Rather clean for the style. A light touch of hops attempt to balance things out.

M- This is the most full bodied "cheap swill" I've had.

D- Of course its drinkable, its designed that way.

Not bad at all for a style thats often slamed. This beer was present on my parents first date, so I just may owe my very exsistence to this beer.

2.04/5  rDev -23.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

A big imposing blue bull against a white brick wall on the can. I guess that says it all about what I'm getting myself into with this one. I'm hoping not to get gored, we'll see. Even though the proper way to drink a malt liqour is out of the can/bottle, I poured a small bit into a glass to judge the appearance. Pale yellow, fizzy with a head that goes to nothing almost immediately. Smells a harsh... goes with the taste. Sweetness and alcohol. A small bit apple-y. This one is hard to get down given how low in alcohol it is. Well I avoided the horns but can't say I'll mix it up with the Blue Bull again.

2.86/5  rDev +7.1%

24 oz. can, first time I have seen this in Huntington Beach, bought at the local Albertson's on Beach and Yorktown/Utica for $1.29.

A: Pours a pale, golden yellow, pretty good head for a macro, white and fizzy, but lasted for pretty much the whole drink, no lacing though.

S: Light and thin, with some malt and alcohol notes.

T: Tastes pretty much of malt and corn, no hops to speak of. It is a bit boozy, the alcohol is evident, even at 5.9%, but this is malt liquor we're talking about, so I expected this fact.

M: Medium-bodied for a macro, light overall, a bit medicinal and solventy from the alcohol.

D: A pretty good malt liquor, easy to drink, a fair beer to beer to buy if you are on a budget.

3.45/5  rDev +29.2%

This has been the first time that I've had a malt liquor in quite some time as in years. I'm actually surprised by it a little. The appearance of this brew looks similar to any mass produced american beer golden yellow with a thin head. It smells only a little bit more malty than other mass produced beers. I'm even surprised by the taste its really not that bad no wonder bums drink this stuff. I mean I don't like IPAs and most of them cost two to three times as much as this stuff. Theres not much carbonation in each sip and it does go down pretty smoothly. All in all this stuff is very drinkable for what it is its cheap, smooth, not bad tasting, and very cheap.

2.67/5  rDev 0%

24 ounce can from local liquor store for a whopping $1.29

Cannot beat the price, but not a very good malt liquor

Smell is decent but taste is pretty bad and it does not seem to go away

Could drink a lot of these because that is what they are made for, ultimate consumption, but not very good

Olde English still beats this in my book for cheap malt

3.36/5  rDev +25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Unlike many beer drinkers, this sort of thing doesn't really bring back memories of my underage days. (I have cheap, nasty wine coolers for that) This is my first ever malt liquor. Wheee

Pours a clear straw with a not-bad head. Got a whiff of ... beer really. Was expecting worse. Definitely a sweetish, chemically smell, but not overwhelming.Is that some hops? Could be... hiding behind the solvent. Tastes... kinda apple-juicy, again with a boozy undertone. I admit I was expecting some nasty, drainpourish swill, but this isn't really any worse than your average macro. Might be a bit better in fact. Doesn't feel overly sweet or bitter, and the carbonation is strong, but not painful. It's a bit astringent, and I guess a touch on the dry side.

Alright, this isn't exactly the height of craft brewing, but ya know, I kinda like it. It's smooth, refreshing, and actually doesn't taste bad at all. Unlike a lot of macros, it avoids the bitter-with-no-flavour problem by not being bitter ... so I guess you can say it's balanced. It's a bit boozy, which I attribute to high alcohol to taste ratio, but for what it is, it's not bad. I look forward to sampling other malt liquors... but I wish they came in smaller sizes.

3.35/5  rDev +25.5%

this one pisses me off. only cuzz i cant find it locally. this is some good malt liquor. it would be without a doubt my daily beer if i could find it.

pours a decent body and head into my glass (normally i will just chug the can). nice carbonation. smell is decent some grain maybe some hops.

taste is unusually smooth and pleasant. excellent feel of the carbonation. if i were closer to milwaukee it would be my daily!

good choice.

suckem up and movem out!

2.61/5  rDev -2.2%

Just a buffed up American beer. I wonder how this fits into the category of malt liquor when it does not even taste like malt liquor. This malt is in the middle of the road for me - I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. Goes down easy, but has a very unremarkable taste. Not that the taste is bad, but its just not there.

2.83/5  rDev +6%

I bought a "40" of this stuff and poured it into a drinking glass. The appearance was not too bad. It's an electric crystal-clear golden with lots of carbonation bubbles and a decent bubbly off-white head. The head didn't dissapear entirely. The smell is faint, of cereal, like corn maybe. The taste is pretty sweet, also reminding me of corn, and leaves a syrupy bland aftertaste. The mouthfeel is good - smooth with a right amount of carbonation. Overall, I think 40 ounces is too much to drink of this stuff, but if you're on a tight budget, it'll keep you company well.

2.53/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

No date. From the 32 oz screw-top bomber into a pint glass, it’s a nice transparent gold color, capped by a thin white head that fades quickly leaving a ring, thin cap, and scattered lacing. Not terribly bad looking for a “cheap” beer. Not much on the nose, just a bit grassy. Taste is slightly sweet, grassy, a hint of citrus, a bit bready, and very lightly bitter on the finish. No real off-flavors detected. Mouth is wet and a bit thin with low carbonation. Drinkability is OK; unlike some other “cheap” beers, I can see me actually finishing a quart of this stuff.

Overall: For 1.59 for 32 oz, this one will give any macro swill a run for its money. Not recommended, but certainly worthwhile for getting messed up on a budget.

2.92/5  rDev +9.4%

Well... the can's a work of friggin art. I'd build a coffeetable out of them if I knew how to build coffetables out of beer cans.

Aside from that, it pours yellow with a small, quickly dissolving white head.

Smells like faint malted barley and strong adjunct. No metal, but light hints of cream and vegetables. Not good, but not horrible.

Tastes a lot like it smells. Big malt, a little creamy, a little corny, with no hops of which to speak.

Not nearly as rough as your average Malt Liquor; it actually tastes like a maltier Budweiser. Not horrible, but not great.

3.01/5  rDev +12.7%

Schlitz Malt Liquor, the prominent malt liquor around these parts of town.

It's hard to go somewhere and not find Schlitz Malt Liquor available.

Schlitz is non-offensive, and this is true only when it's fresh.

Fresh Schlitz has a nice malty nose. With some fringes of adjuncts way in the foreground. No full on graininess apparent.

Schlitz's taste is quite good for the style. Mid-bodied, with some sweet pale malt up front. Some grain the background, with a sweeping honey note. Not bad.

Schlitz is good for what it is. These are quite drinkable ice cold on a hot day. The price factor is also nice, for times when you're on a budget.

3.12/5  rDev +16.9%

Schlitz Malt Liquor pours a pale fizzy yellow with a fluffy white head from a brown thirty two ounce bottle. Smells like adjunct, but not unpleasantly so. Crisp, some metallic flavors are present. Pretty drinkable by malt liquor standards. If you are looking for malt liquor, this isn't a bad choice.

2.92/5  rDev +9.4%

Yeah, this shit's OK. The Blue and the Red Bull Schlitz varieties are more similar in the can than in the big bottle. The carbonation sort of ruins the mouthfeel from the can and hides the taste. Some might appreciate this, but I spent 1.25 on this can and I wanna taste my malt/adjuncts! Fuck y'all, Schlitz. (I mean Pabst!)

2.8/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured a pale yellow color. Initially head is large, white and puffy, but rapidly fell to a thin coating. Smell is minimal with a slight sweet note. Taste is also very mild, and when the beer is very cold it is OK, as it warms it becomes less acceptable. Finish is refreshing. OK, but not much else.

2.93/5  rDev +9.7%

Okay, this is not that special of a beer, but it is exactly what it is. Crisp and clean and so easy to drink. Not a lot of flavor, but nothing bad. Anyway, it pours out a light straw color, very clear with a fizzy white head that clings to the glass a bit. yeah, i poured part of theis tall boy into a glass so i could see what it looks like. Anyway. It smells pretty decent. Has a little bit of a hop character. This is completely lacking in the taste which is very water like. I don't give it any gross points, so there is nothing wrong with it. As far as mouthfeel and drinkability, it is light and as easy to drink as water. If only the alcoholish flavors stayed hidden as it warmed up.

2.08/5  rDev -22.1%

A lightly amber beer; good for refreshing and summer days; little strong, generous ABV, ominpresent in its flavor; much hops and malt; smell like crispy bread, notes of malt flower; taste lightly bitter, grassy and sweet; try in a mug glass, with snacks; pasta is good too; 60% recommended.

2.67/5  rDev 0%

sh-KwOKK! The door opens accompanied by the sound of her whip. I'd seen her before, but never dared test my skills. Now she stands before me tall, lean, and cool. Light golden tan skin and nearly bleached white on top. Firm and sticky, like from too much hair gel. I'm a bit worried and I lean backward as I search for an escape. Seeing my weakness, she approaches and stands nose to nose. My goodness, I catch a hint of sweet perfume on this temptress ruffian. Wet sweet over a flowery hint. Not at all what I expected. In the moment I struggle with this surprise, she attacks. On her lips I taste memories of honey from her morning toast. Lilac flowers. Perhaps her heart is true? Yet her blue-collar nature shows through. Like drab cardboard, stiff and drab to the world. Yes, she's no pussy cat. She bites my tongue leaving a sting like rough vodka mixed with a fizzy warm un-cola. The encounter continues longer than I'd like, dry and thin on my end, until I'm left repellant. I hang in to serve my duty until, finally, the deed is done. I quietly side-step out of the room and, dazed, I wonder if I'll regret our encounter in the morning.

Schlitz O.M.L. (Malt Liquor) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)