Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. Alström Bros
1.95/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

Back with some more Bottom Shelf Beer Review Week! For the beer #4 of BSBRW, I'm choosing Schlitz Bull Ice.

Appearance : Surprisingly aesthetic, with a very tall three finger head. The head takes its time receding, and leaves lace on the glass that rivals top shelf IPA's. This is certainly the best malt liquor pour I have ever laid eyes on. The body is pale straw and 90% transparent. Easily the best appearance out of any malt liquor ever.

Smell : Mostly corn and grain, slightly toasted, with a bit of hop leaf and chemical. It's not bad, I've smelled worse, and the chemical bill could certainly be higher. So far this is impressing me a little.

Taste : And here's where it falls apart. It tastes like a bowl of fruit loops doused in gasoline. The fruity esters just give this vomity estery character to what would normally be replaced by grain. It's HIGHLY chemical, in fact it tastes like poison. My natural senses are kicking in to say "don't drink this, it's poisonous". However I keep wanting to lick my lips as if there's sugar on them. Is this brewed with antifreeze?!!?

Feel : At this point I don't really care, but it's relatively creamy but mostly sticky, drinks like a syrup, with a burn from the alcohol.

Overall : Cheap junk like this gets you a different kind of drunk than what I'm used to from better quality craft beers. This kind of crap makes you dizzy right off the bat, messes with your coordination, and makes you slur like a redneck. Schlitz Bull Ice is one of the worst beers in existence. This is a beer I will never lay lips to again.

After drinking several beers and then a 40oz of this, I am lucky to find my hotel room. This is not good, but I drank the whole thing simply to prove my manliness. Not a bad way to get drunk if you need to do it quickly. I highly recommend the paper bag that it was served in. Yes, the bar served it in a paper bag!

3.25/5  rDev +46.4%

This will grow hair on your back. I was taken aback by the sweetness. Ice cold is the way to go with this. Not too boozy taste- this is deceiving. Very high ABV. Somewhat tasty, I must admit.

3.56/5  rDev +60.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Trade got me a 40 of Silver Bull. Demo pour comes out a highly carbonated tannish dark yellow, half inch of foamy white head collapses to surface cling. Smell is apple, pear, a bit of cornbread. Comes in with less dryness than usual for the lowly malt liquor as a style, follows the smells with sweet booze without being a huge smack of such, very balanced. Doesn't feel as fizzy as it looks, just enough.

I think I have a new heavyweight champion in this category. Sucks I can't get it local, it'd be a regular easily.

3.35/5  rDev +50.9%

This Ice Malt Liquor is definitely a sipper. It makes my lips tingle and is hard on the throat. After every few swigs from a frost glass I need a sip of water to continue. Sometimes it makes me gag and I spit up a little. I prefer Hefenreffer and O.E. but with the ass kicking 8.2% it does have it's place. To get wrecked! Though it's very soothing and calming in the end...

I judge malt liquors on their taste and ability to get me a buzz in record time. Schlitz Bull Ice does it for me like no other. The taste is outstanding, and the buzz factor is off the scale. Steel Reserve and Olde English 800 are good when there is no Bull Ice available, but the Bull tramples all! I only wish I had access to Bull Ice 8% + here in Virginia like I had in Oklahoma.. No luck, though. Only 5.9%.

1.75/5  rDev -21.2%

I'm a Malt Liquor fan and this stuff sucks. I wanted to find the O.M.L but this is all they sell here. I always keep a few steel reserves in the fridge when I want a quick buzz over my usual PBR so I do drink 8.0 Swill regularly. This stuff is nasty it has one hell of an aftertaste. Just gross. Pretty sure once I finish the 40 I'll have a buzz but damn I should have just got 2 SR's and been 8 oz. to the better.

1.5/5  rDev -32.4%

I love malt liquors and was therefore very excited to get a hold of this since they don't have it in Texas (at least not that I've seen). All I can say is what an enormous disappointment. The taste was so incredibly stale. It was awful. It sort of tasted like Steel Reserve Triple Export, but WAY less fresh. It had a nauseating mild yeasty character that just did not accompany stale malt at all. It was like trying to drink the liquid form of an old wheat roll that's been sitting around for a very long time and is hard as a rock, but also has a little bit of mold growing on it somehow. It was so bad. It turned my stomach so much that I had to pour a decent portion down the drain. The amount I managed to get down got me buzzed, but at what cost?

2.1/5  rDev -5.4%

A - Drank straight from the can so I have no clue.

S - Aluminum, Stale malt, grains, alcohol.

T - Aluminum, malt, grains, alcohol on the finish. Surprisingly not bad for a malt liquor of this strength .

M - Medium carbonation with a medium body.

O - Overall, It's a cheap malt liquor that doesn't taste like absolute garbage. After finishing the 240z can I had a happy buzz so in my book that's a plus since that's really the only purpose to malt liquor. I'll give it a 2.5 for that in this category. And remember some wise words, SCHLITZ GIVES YOU THE SHITS.

I said to myself this is either rotgut or very good, not surprised to say its more good than bad. One huge point you beer snobs keep bringing up is: its not hoppy... Look up MALT LIQUOR it has NO HOPS. It is kind of a scotch ale type of taste and very good for what it is. if you`re waiting for the rosy hop buzz it will never come(I like it too-but this was a change) and a trip back to the early 70`s when I drank the bull. All in all a good malt. Would I drink it every day? not a chance, but for a change it was very good in a sammy glass. One more thing-I`m writing as I`m drinking it and I will finish the 40oz I bought and see about the hangover factor tomorrow. This is somewhere between champale and the old ballatine triple and is 8.2% so its like I already said about scotch ale style. at this point I would say winner winner chicken dinner-but I will wait for the hangover mentioned earlier

2.53/5  rDev +14%

Screwtop 40, poured into a pint glass. Best by JUN042012.

Puffy white head of foam that lasts for a few minutes, it has a dimpled surface and leaves sudsy soapy lacing in the glass. Bright high clarity gold.

When the cap is cracked it had a pleasant smell of sweet apple, then later it's the usual wet grains husks and light minerality. Surprisingly clean with zero detectable alcohol in the aroma.

Taste is a little less refined, grainy and coarse, light apple sweetness. Alcohol is a bit more perceptible, but thankfully not too rough. There's some fruity esters, apple jacks, not much astringency, only slight. Fairly clean, which goes along way for malt liquor. Overall this is serviceable, not overly sweet, boozy, or full of off flavors. After a little while the alcohol is felt fairly quickly. For a malt liquor, this isn't too bad, though I wouldn't seek it out again. Edit: After the lingering next day hangover, definitely won't seek this out again.

3.26/5  rDev +46.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

APR3012 stamped on bottom of 24oz / 710mL can poured into a mug.

Appearance - Clear bronze body with a loose white head with low retention and tons of stick.

Smell - Musky corn. Horseblanket. Slightly solvent.

Taste - A bit bitter with some sweet corn up front, musky in the middle, with a relatively clean finish.

Mouthfeel - Light and with a bit of stickiness but mostly clean.

Overall Drinkability - Pretty decent for its style. Mostly clean all around, so that's a major plus for a style where you really don't want to taste or feel the harsh brewing byproduct.

1.53/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a nice looking golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy white head, very little sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy, ricy, with some skunk notes. The taste is kinda sweet, lots of grains, rice. Light/Medium Body. What the hell is going on with these macro brews, they suck. A waste of water and money.

3.63/5  rDev +63.5%

Schlitz IML has a thick, rather frothy white head and a clear, golden appearance. Lots of heavy lacing is left down the glass. The aroma is grainy (think corn), and the taste is bold, grainy, very sweet, and full. Some slight hop bitterness is also there (19.3 IBU). Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and the finish is chewy, dense, and harsh. Drinkability is not terribly high here; it’s a sipper. Overall, Schlitz Bull IML is a more complex beer than one would expect (it compares well to a helles dopple bock), and it’s bold character is compelling. I think you should try it.

1.05/5  rDev -52.7%

40oz. Nasty yellow no head, lacing, even the clarity sucks in this beer.

Aroma and taste are just fusel and rubbing alcohol (not that I can tell a difference).

Mouthfeel is a little thicker consistency than water, and once you annhilate your taste buds to the alcohol, you 'could' get some marginal enjoyment out of the corn syrup sweetness feel to it. Other than that, this stuff fulfills its destiny, as an awful beer.

2.22/5  rDev 0%

Bad beer Thursday continues with Schlitz Bull Ice (IML). Beer served in a Schlafly stange. Beer is dark yellow and moderately carbonated iwth a big white head of small bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Nice.

Beer's aroma is mildly sweet. A little of that "soapy" aroma I get in some of these beers.

Beer is pretty bland with only a mild sweet aftertaste. Not a very good one I fear. Oh well. I've had a lot of these Schlitz beers and the best one I've had so far is the VSL, it is actually a decent beers, the rest of these are just awful. It's thin and watery with very ltitle flavor and a harsh blunt finish.

2.88/5  rDev +29.7%

Pours a deep straw/golden color for the 24oz can. Not much of a head, what was there faded quickly.

Smells of alcohol and corn, not much else.

Tastes strongly of alcohol, with a cereal bite. Sweet, not much of a hoppy feel. This is expected of a higher gravity malt.

Goes down easily, with little aftertaste. For drinkability purposes, I'd much rather drink the blue bull or red bull, rather than the silver. However, I still need to try the VSL (gold bull) to complete the Schiltz Bull tastings.

I would drink this again, especially if I could find it in a 40oz.

1.48/5  rDev -33.3%

Nose: Hardly there. Sweetness and alcohol. It smells tangy, but not hoppy.

Appearance: Crystal clear pale gold. Big white head forms quickly and dissipates just as fast.

Taste: Unpleasant and grainy. Corn and alcohol. Thin but sticky on the palate--like drinking dirty water.

Overall: The clarity (not natural) and the price point ($4.99 for 6 tall boys) are the only things that make this even the least bit acceptable.

2.33/5  rDev +5%

a- typical yellow malt liquor look, maybe a little darker than im used to. nice head for malt liquor with good duration and fair lacing.
s- smells corny with a hint of alcohol as expected
t- corn syrup, malt and a hint of alcohol warmth
m- pretty decent mouthfeel for a malt liquor, actually slightly oily if im not hallucinating
d- as far as malt liquor goes, this is one of the better ones ive had but i think i actually prefer the lighter feeling and tasting ones like king cobra because the reason we drink these is to get drunk and cobra's just a little easier to chug

3.22/5  rDev +45%

A= Fizzy and yellow just like a malt liquor should be. A thin white head rises up and falls fast to a thin ring around the glass.

S= Not nearly as much alcohol as I expected in the nose. Lots of corn in it and a slight sweetness.

T= Again not nearly as bad as I expected. There is a great corn sweetness to it and a little bit of alcohol.

M= Medium body to a little sticky.

D= Not as bad as I expected but still bad. I would drink it again if I wanted to get messed up.

1.83/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from the 40 ouncer marked SEP1409-CO5110116. Sampled on August 16, 2009 (Minor update 8/12/11).

A - Your basic pale yellow with a fizzy white head that slowly bubbles down to a very thin one leaving thin lacing on the glass and a slow upward carbonation. It looked about right for its style.

S - The aroma is of malts, corn, and alcohol.

T/M - The mouthfeel has a texture that is better than water but not what I would classify as medium. Somewhere in between. The taste is retched although with some hops in the background. It leaves a sour unappealing aftertaste.

3.08/5  rDev +38.7%

Clear, light copper with big bubbles racing to the surface of a respectable rocky white foam head that melts into soft peaks and leaves blotchy lace behind. Sweet malt and grain alcohol make up the nose. This beer tastes like a malt liquor should, if you like the style..and I do, grits and sweet maltiness with just enough generic hop bitterness to balance perfectly. Alcohol warms the belly with each sip. Medium bodied with mild carbonation. Decent brew, if you like malt liquor.

2.79/5  rDev +25.7%

Pours a nice golden color with a two finger head into my glass.

Aroma is sweet and grainy with a good dose of alcohol in the nose.

Taste is grainy and sweet, nearly syrupy with a mild alcohol burn. Not as sweet as the V.S.L.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering sweetness from the adjuncts. However, its not as syrupy. Feels more normal in that area.

Not bad. More tolerable than the v.s.l. Not bad for the style. Not too impressive otherwise but you should try it anyway.

3.39/5  rDev +52.7%

From a 24 ounce aluminum can. Poured a nice copper color with little head. From Stroh Brewery Milwaukie, WI. (Owned by SAB Miller) Aroma is winey, sweet, malty.
Flavor on first sip vaguely reminds me of hard apple cider. There is a syrupy quality to this stuff and very sweet overall. I could actually taste a bit of hops but they are overwhelmed by the malts. The alcohol is fairly well hidden for the style. Amazingly easy drinking for a 8.2abv.
One of the better tasting M.L.s. Drink at your own risk.
11/4/2014. Had to update score for appearance. Huge dense white head. Lasts a good 10 minutes and leaves copious lacing.

1.18/5  rDev -46.8%

There are a couple beers that I've found in my fridge and I, honest to God, cannot recall how they ended up there. Schlitz Bull Ice has a reputation of being a notoriously bad malt liquor. I am kind of morbidly curious about these infamous offerings. I am admittedly biased, but I'll try to put it aside for now. So here goes...

The pour is not absolutely awful. The head recedes rapidly, and there's no lacing at all. The color is of concentrated pee. The smell is where things really start to go downhill. There's a lot of alcohol. That's pretty much it. Maybe a few echoes of malt in the background. The taste is what takes you to rock bottom. It's just simply terrible. I feel like the ghosts of dead fruit will be haunting my palate forever. It reminds me of the smell under a mango tree I found in Hawaii where all the fruit had fallen off and rotted. It's just a monkey of chaos, throwing feces all over the cage of my mouth.

Mouthfeel is who cares. Drinkability is no.

Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)