Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.

awful

awful

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2002)
Reviews by ZenAgnostic:
3.3/5  rDev +48%

APR3012 stamped on bottom of 24oz / 710mL can poured into a mug.

Appearance - Clear bronze body with a loose white head with low retention and tons of stick.

Smell - Musky corn. Horseblanket. Slightly solvent.

Taste - A bit bitter with some sweet corn up front, musky in the middle, with a relatively clean finish.

Mouthfeel - Light and with a bit of stickiness but mostly clean.

Overall Drinkability - Pretty decent for its style. Mostly clean all around, so that's a major plus for a style where you really don't want to taste or feel the harsh brewing byproduct.

ZenAgnostic, Dec 13, 2011
1.13/5  rDev -49.3%

This is a horrific beer; from the smell of rubbing alcohol to the metallic graininess I could only put down a few swallows. Painful to drink … the alcohol stings every time you take a sip and it covers up any beer flavour that may be there. This beer gives 40s a bad name.

Jason, Nov 02, 2003
1.05/5  rDev -52.9%

40oz. Nasty yellow no head, lacing, even the clarity sucks in this beer.

Aroma and taste are just fusel and rubbing alcohol (not that I can tell a difference).

Mouthfeel is a little thicker consistency than water, and once you annhilate your taste buds to the alcohol, you 'could' get some marginal enjoyment out of the corn syrup sweetness feel to it. Other than that, this stuff fulfills its destiny, as an awful beer.

Beerandraiderfan, Apr 26, 2011
1.73/5  rDev -22.4%

Appears a yellow golden hue with a large white head which quickly dwindles revealing rather even lacing kinda weird to see that pour from this 24oz can of Schlitz Bull Ice. Aroma has a very sweet tone wtih corn and rice noticeable as the sugar sources along with evident almost grain alcohol notes doesn't hide the fact that it's 8.2% abv at all. Flavor comes off grainy with strong alcohol and corn and rice and a hint of fruitiness that is a bearable other than that I was bludgeoned with notes that I care not redescribe especially if you've tasted a high gravity malt liquor. Not palatable to me let's move on to the mouthfeel...light to medium bodied kinda coats the palate in the worst way artificial carbonation stays with me way too long. Drinkability... god knows especially not on anyone's deathbed please god not mine.

WVbeergeek, Jun 19, 2006
1.35/5  rDev -39.5%

40 oz. Bottle

AP: Pale gold, urine comes to mind. Seems active, decent 2" all white head is wavey and frothy.

Nose: Only mildly aromatic, mild malt, kinda wheaty, slight leafy hop.

Taste: This is where things go really bad... It starts off with a bitter (like chewing on tylenol bitter) malt thing happening, gets a slight wheat-like flavor then a chemical-like bitterness happens again. Ends with the classic sickly sweet "malt liqour" rancidness.

MF: It looks active but when it hits the palate it just sits there and dies...feels flat and thin.

DA: Be good to yourself my fellow BA's....save your tastebuds the grief...I wish I had.

GratefulBeerGuy, Oct 24, 2006
2.78/5  rDev +24.7%

Picked up a 40 oz of this Ghetto looking stuff at a gas station...thankfully that gas station isn't all that close to my house. I was actually sort of embarrassed to buy this since I just came from the gym and look pretty haggard in my sweat pants anyway. Oh well. Here goes nothing...

A - Deep gold with a two finger head that settles at a nice half-inch cap, and leaves a lot of foamy lace on the glass. This looks good enough to put lagers that cost three times as much to shame.

S - Thick corn flake and booze notes that remind me that yes, this is indeed mawt likkah. This is however, pretty much inoffensive and basic. No real off notes or anything....and that's about all you can ask for in a bum-bottle 4-0.

T - This has a lot of character. The flavor sort of reminds me of the water that you pour out of a can of corn, and there is a hint of dish soap, bit it honestly ain't half bad.

M - Big, bad, dirty, and boozy. This is a BIG beer. I can feel the alcohol in my gut and in my head, and I've only imbibed a 12 oz glass from the giant 40oz bottle. Good think I have the day off...this is a heavy hitter. If you want to enjoy beer, then this is not the thing for you, but if you want to catch a buzz for a buck and a half then this is your vehicle to paradise. 40 ounces to freedom!

D - This is head an shoulders above some other malt liquors, and I would take this over

pmcadamis, Nov 13, 2008
2.65/5  rDev +18.8%

A clear yellow-gold body is capped by a good-sized head of creamy white foam that holds exceptionally well and initially leaves some very nice rings of lace about the glass (not that too many fans of this beer are drinking it from glasses). It delivers some mildly sweet malt in the nose (which is nice), a clear note of alcohol, and some low-key fruitiness. At times it can smell like a cheap white wine. And there's also a low background vegetal note. It's not offensive, however, and may actually lend some additional character to the aroma! In the mouth it's full and creamy with a gentle caress on the tongue before sliding away as smooth as velvet. It's so full in fact, that it sticks about the mouth (and I had to rinse my mouth out with water throughout the tasting to try to look for any nuances that might be there). In the flavor, the lightly sweet malt (which is obviously adjunct-laden as there's little graininess to it) combines with the alcohol to balance it out (rather than bitterness). The subtle fruitiness that's there tries to compete with the alcohol but never really comes through as more than a background note. In fact, the alcohol is surprisingly strong desipte the fact that it's only 8.2% by volume (the initial fermentation must be quite warm for a lager yeast strain). It finishes with an initial note of sweet malt that slowly erodes amongst increasing, drying alcohol. It's certainly not the best malt liquor, but it's not the worst I've tasted. I certainly prefer this more malty "Ice" version to the Red Bull!

NeroFiddled, Jun 20, 2003
1.5/5  rDev -32.7%

traumaqueen, Apr 03, 2012
2.28/5  rDev +2.2%

Picked this up to hold up with a Mickey's and compare the malt liquors out there. 40oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Pretty much the same look as all the other malts, though a little darker than Micker's but has the same nuclear orange as Magnum and Cobra.

S: Odors of super sweet corn and the tiniest hints of malts with absolutly no hops to speak of, at least Steel Resever tried to pass hops off...anyways the smell is pretty bad and smell of sweet candied corn and fruits.

T/MF: Blech, way way way too sweet for my tastes, even for a malt liquor, tastes of sweet boiled creamed corn and cream of wheat with a super slick mouth feel and very sticky aftertaste, corniest of the malt liquors out there I guess.

D: Super cheap and super high in booze content without the burn of Ojo Malo so it is not that bad, but I'd prefer a Mickey's or a FFF.

bluemoonswoon, Jun 26, 2007

Lang44, Jan 16, 2012
1.85/5  rDev -17%

Poured from the 40 ouncer marked SEP1409-CO5110116. Sampled on August 16, 2009 (Minor update 8/12/11).

A - Your basic pale yellow with a fizzy white head that slowly bubbles down to a very thin one leaving thin lacing on the glass and a slow upward carbonation. It looked about right for its style.

S - The aroma is of malts, corn, and alcohol.

T/M - The mouthfeel has a texture that is better than water but not what I would classify as medium. Somewhere in between. The taste is retched although with some hops in the background. It leaves a sour unappealing aftertaste.

puboflyons, Aug 16, 2009
2.5/5  rDev +12.1%

Screwtop 40, poured into a pint glass. Best by JUN042012.

Puffy white head of foam that lasts for a few minutes, it has a dimpled surface and leaves sudsy soapy lacing in the glass. Bright high clarity gold.

When the cap is cracked it had a pleasant smell of sweet apple, then later it's the usual wet grains husks and light minerality. Surprisingly clean with zero detectable alcohol in the aroma.

Taste is a little less refined, grainy and coarse, light apple sweetness. Alcohol is a bit more perceptible, but thankfully not too rough. There's some fruity esters, apple jacks, not much astringency, only slight. Fairly clean, which goes along way for malt liquor. Overall this is serviceable, not overly sweet, boozy, or full of off flavors. After a little while the alcohol is felt fairly quickly. For a malt liquor, this isn't too bad, though I wouldn't seek it out again. Edit: After the lingering next day hangover, definitely won't seek this out again.

emerge077, Jan 02, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +60.5%

Trade got me a 40 of Silver Bull. Demo pour comes out a highly carbonated tannish dark yellow, half inch of foamy white head collapses to surface cling. Smell is apple, pear, a bit of cornbread. Comes in with less dryness than usual for the lowly malt liquor as a style, follows the smells with sweet booze without being a huge smack of such, very balanced. Doesn't feel as fizzy as it looks, just enough.

I think I have a new heavyweight champion in this category. Sucks I can't get it local, it'd be a regular easily.

longbongsilver, Mar 12, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -21.5%

fivetime, Jan 22, 2013
3.33/5  rDev +49.3%

From a 24 ounce aluminum can. Poured a nice copper color with little head. From Stroh Brewery Milwaukie, WI. (Owned by SAB Miller) Aroma is winey, sweet, malty.
Flavor on first sip vaguely reminds me of hard apple cider. There is a syrupy quality to this stuff and very sweet overall. I could actually taste a bit of hops but they are overwhelmed by the malts. The alcohol is fairly well hidden for the style. Amazingly easy drinking for a 8.2abv.
One of the better tasting M.L.s. Drink at your own risk.

Spikester, Apr 09, 2009

FreshmanPour77, Nov 23, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +65%

Schlitz IML has a thick, rather frothy white head and a clear, golden appearance. Lots of heavy lacing is left down the glass. The aroma is grainy (think corn), and the taste is bold, grainy, very sweet, and full. Some slight hop bitterness is also there (19.3 IBU). Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and the finish is chewy, dense, and harsh. Drinkability is not terribly high here; it’s a sipper. Overall, Schlitz Bull IML is a more complex beer than one would expect (it compares well to a helles dopple bock), and it’s bold character is compelling. I think you should try it.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Jun 28, 2011
1.71/5  rDev -23.3%

I'm a Malt Liquor fan and this stuff sucks. I wanted to find the O.M.L but this is all they sell here. I always keep a few steel reserves in the fridge when I want a quick buzz over my usual PBR so I do drink 8.0 Swill regularly. This stuff is nasty it has one hell of an aftertaste. Just gross. Pretty sure once I finish the 40 I'll have a buzz but damn I should have just got 2 SR's and been 8 oz. to the better.

michiganminer, Nov 28, 2013
3.13/5  rDev +40.4%

Clear, light copper with big bubbles racing to the surface of a respectable rocky white foam head that melts into soft peaks and leaves blotchy lace behind. Sweet malt and grain alcohol make up the nose. This beer tastes like a malt liquor should, if you like the style..and I do, grits and sweet maltiness with just enough generic hop bitterness to balance perfectly. Alcohol warms the belly with each sip. Medium bodied with mild carbonation. Decent brew, if you like malt liquor.

biggred1, May 31, 2009
1.58/5  rDev -29.1%

a: pale yellow, inch of frothy white head dissapears fast leaving no lace
s: very little malt or hop presence in the aroma deffinate alcohol presence in aroma
t: sweet start leads to high presence of alcohol in finish, very very dry feeling and a burning not pleasant
m: light bodied very carbonated

overall this is a really cheap beer, I think $1.95 for a 40oz, it also has a lot of alcohol in it. However out of the 40s ive had this isnt all that bad. Most of the time when buyig a 40, the intent is on getting drunk, this will atleast give you a good start. I dont recommend this unless that is your goal

happygnome, Mar 26, 2007
2.1/5  rDev -5.8%

A - Drank straight from the can so I have no clue.

S - Aluminum, Stale malt, grains, alcohol.

T - Aluminum, malt, grains, alcohol on the finish. Surprisingly not bad for a malt liquor of this strength .

M - Medium carbonation with a medium body.

O - Overall, It's a cheap malt liquor that doesn't taste like absolute garbage. After finishing the 240z can I had a happy buzz so in my book that's a plus since that's really the only purpose to malt liquor. I'll give it a 2.5 for that in this category. And remember some wise words, SCHLITZ GIVES YOU THE SHITS.

SometimesIfart, Nov 27, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +59.2%

Poured from a 24 oz can into pint glass.

A - Pale, perfectly clear, yellowish gold. With a hard pour I get a full 2 fingers of head. Retention is short but not the worst I've seen on malt liquors. There is actually some slight lacing on the glass.

S - A blast of sweetness, with DMS, cereal grain, and a metallic, boozy aroma in the background.

T - Light notes of corn and sour apple early on. Sweetness kicks in but it's backed perfectly by an almost pleasant graininess. Grassy flavor kicks in late palate before leading into a moderate but not overbearing punch from the alcohol. Aftertaste is rough, with a bitter herb flavor and slight astringency, bringing the score down half a point.

M - Whoa! Great malt liquor mouthfeel on this one. Light to medium bodied with medium to high carbonation. Deceptively smooth while maintaining and appropriate crispness.

D - One of the better malt liquors I've run across, this might just give Steel Reserve a run for it's money. Though a bit of a "rarity" around here, Schlitz IML is a worthy competitor.

PatrickJR, Dec 31, 2008
1.53/5  rDev -31.4%

Ok my recent foray into the underworld of cheap ( and nasty) beers continues with this. Ugliest looking can I ever did see..ugly looking Ox with a prison wall as background..just who are they trying to impress? LOL
Appearance is dark yellow with a large white head that goes very fast leaving nowt!
Smell is somewhat floral..in an artificial room freshener way..weird
Taste is just some really cheap malt sweetness follwed by barely concealed alcohol..and not nice alcohol taste either.
Yucky and clingy on the tongue.
Not drinkable for me..Im happy I get paid on Wednesday..so I can buy some at least average beers to drink...I hate to think I would have to drink stuff like this all the time!

Reidrover, Oct 04, 2003
1.45/5  rDev -35%

Poured into a big 24 oz. mug in 2 waves of beer. Looked to be a dark yellow color, with a good sized fluffy white head. Smell was heavy on the skunked adjuncts, I would've guessed that this is a product of Iowa, based on all of the corn in it. Taste was absolutley foul. Cloyingly sweet, with skunk that made me shudder after every sip. Alcohol was also extremely present. This is not a good tasting substance, but after only one bottle i was feeling pretty warm on a cold Minnesota night.

TastyTaste, Nov 12, 2004
3.13/5  rDev +40.4%

Very surprised when I tried this, very good for a large brewery. Good carbonation and head, very smooth and with a 40oz bottle you should share or take your time - the 8.2% ABV has a kick and its only $1.49.

jdhilt, Jul 27, 2002
Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)