Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.

awful

awful

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2002)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. Alström Bros
Lang44

05-07-2014 22:43:36 | More by Durandal_777
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.05/5  rDev -53.3%

40oz. Nasty yellow no head, lacing, even the clarity sucks in this beer.

Aroma and taste are just fusel and rubbing alcohol (not that I can tell a difference).

Mouthfeel is a little thicker consistency than water, and once you annhilate your taste buds to the alcohol, you 'could' get some marginal enjoyment out of the corn syrup sweetness feel to it. Other than that, this stuff fulfills its destiny, as an awful beer.

04-26-2011 21:38:36 | More by Beerandraiderfan
Jason

1.13/5  rDev -49.8%

This is a horrific beer; from the smell of rubbing alcohol to the metallic graininess I could only put down a few swallows. Painful to drink … the alcohol stings every time you take a sip and it covers up any beer flavour that may be there. This beer gives 40s a bad name.

11-02-2003 18:55:30 | More by Jason
Beernoisseur

1.15/5  rDev -48.9%

There are a couple beers that I've found in my fridge and I, honest to God, cannot recall how they ended up there. Schlitz Bull Ice has a reputation of being a notoriously bad malt liquor. I am kind of morbidly curious about these infamous offerings. I am admittedly biased, but I'll try to put it aside for now. So here goes...

The pour is not absolutely awful. The head recedes rapidly, and there's no lacing at all. The color is of concentrated pee. The smell is where things really start to go downhill. There's a lot of alcohol. That's pretty much it. Maybe a few echoes of malt in the background. The taste is what takes you to rock bottom. It's just simply terrible. I feel like the ghosts of dead fruit will be haunting my palate forever. It reminds me of the smell under a mango tree I found in Hawaii where all the fruit had fallen off and rotted. It's just a monkey of chaos, throwing feces all over the cage of my mouth.

Mouthfeel is who cares. Drinkability is no.

03-22-2009 03:09:24 | More by Beernoisseur
berserker256

1.18/5  rDev -47.6%

$1.99 for a 40 OZ. bottle of 8.2% alcohol beer. What the hell? I brought it home and filled my 1 liter Spaten Oktoberfest mug with it. It's a medium gold color with a huge bubble bath-like head. It smells pretty bad. Wet corn and malted hay and dirt. Some kind of awful chemical stink... it stinks like formaldehyde from disecting earthworms in middle school. Tastes like chewy sour bitter old sun-dried grass clippings. It's pretty terrible. Getting drunk cheaply is this beer's sole purpose. And that purpose it serves well, if that's your goal.

01-11-2008 18:30:00 | More by berserker256
Bitterbill

Wyoming

1.23/5  rDev -45.3%

Ok, I saw this at a local liquor store and thought I'd try it. I'm not expecting much...

Woah. It turns out to be worse than I thought it could be. It doesn't look half bad in the glass but whilst hoisting said glass to my nose and mouth, I got a whiff of an atrocious smell of what? Stale corn? Chemically stale corn? Whatever it is, it put me off right from the get go.

Taste? I sure didn't have any when I decided to pick this up. Nasty semi sweet flavour of rotting grain? I kid you not, this absolutely sucks and is most assuredly a drain pour, I really can't imagine a market for it. "nuff said.

05-03-2008 20:03:47 | More by Bitterbill
Getinthevan

1.3/5  rDev -42.2%

I had this on Christmas Day as I had to stay in town for work, and when you're on a tight budget, anything goes.

Appearance was pretty basic: very yellow/dark yellow/pale in color and nothing to behold, but for $1.49 a 32oz, that doesn't matter.

Smell was really old and sour. This is probably the foulest smelling beer I've ever had, but as mentioned before that $1.49 on the bottle doesn't matter.

Taste - wow...this was bitter and carried a strong bite, but in the worst way possible. The only thing this stuff succeeds in is getting drunk at an incredibly rapid rate. In order to do that unfortunately, flavor must be sacrificed. Ugh!

Mouthfeel is nonexistant. It goes down quick, with a heavily bad aftertaste, seriously.

Drinkability is for those who who want to get really messed up with not that much money. Don't even waste time on this stuff.

06-14-2008 00:32:21 | More by Getinthevan
KingSpank

1.33/5  rDev -40.9%

This is a rough malt liquor. Granted, it will get you good and drunk for little cash, but I'll take St. Ides High Gravity over this any day. Beside the ill-hidden alcohol, the ice brewing leaves its signature disgusting taste. I don't expect much from malt liquors, but this still doesn't live up to those low expectations.

04-14-2003 21:43:25 | More by KingSpank
ypsifly

1.33/5  rDev -40.9%

Yeah its bad, but it could be a lot worse.

Looks like one would expect: burnt urine with a white "head" that disappears quickly.

Smell: Whoa! Hello corn and his good buddy alcohol.

Tastes like...well strong, cheap malt liquor. If adjuncts and alcohol are what you like to taste in your beer and nothing else, then this one's for you. The abundance of carbonation dulls your pain in the end.

Not drinkable at all.

I used to swill this junk in college. Decided to try a "blast from the past" tonight and all I can say is thank God I have a good job and can afford to drink craft beers. Job security and benefits are nice, but its even nicer that I don't have to drink this crap anymore.

02-11-2005 05:14:34 | More by ypsifly
GratefulBeerGuy

New Hampshire

1.35/5  rDev -40%

40 oz. Bottle

AP: Pale gold, urine comes to mind. Seems active, decent 2" all white head is wavey and frothy.

Nose: Only mildly aromatic, mild malt, kinda wheaty, slight leafy hop.

Taste: This is where things go really bad... It starts off with a bitter (like chewing on tylenol bitter) malt thing happening, gets a slight wheat-like flavor then a chemical-like bitterness happens again. Ends with the classic sickly sweet "malt liqour" rancidness.

MF: It looks active but when it hits the palate it just sits there and dies...feels flat and thin.

DA: Be good to yourself my fellow BA's....save your tastebuds the grief...I wish I had.

10-24-2006 20:58:32 | More by GratefulBeerGuy
sjverla

1.43/5  rDev -36.4%

Nose: Hardly there. Sweetness and alcohol. It smells tangy, but not hoppy.

Appearance: Crystal clear pale gold. Big white head forms quickly and dissipates just as fast.

Taste: Unpleasant and grainy. Corn and alcohol. Thin but sticky on the palate--like drinking dirty water.

Overall: The clarity (not natural) and the price point ($4.99 for 6 tall boys) are the only things that make this even the least bit acceptable.

10-02-2010 02:44:04 | More by sjverla
TastyTaste

1.45/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Poured into a big 24 oz. mug in 2 waves of beer. Looked to be a dark yellow color, with a good sized fluffy white head. Smell was heavy on the skunked adjuncts, I would've guessed that this is a product of Iowa, based on all of the corn in it. Taste was absolutley foul. Cloyingly sweet, with skunk that made me shudder after every sip. Alcohol was also extremely present. This is not a good tasting substance, but after only one bottle i was feeling pretty warm on a cold Minnesota night.

11-12-2004 14:02:55 | More by TastyTaste
ElCommodoro

1.45/5  rDev -35.6%

I love malt liquors and was therefore very excited to get a hold of this since they don't have it in Texas (at least not that I've seen). All I can say is what an enormous disappointment. The taste was so incredibly stale. It was awful. It sort of tasted like Steel Reserve Triple Export, but WAY less fresh. It had a nauseating mild yeasty character that just did not accompany stale malt at all. It was like trying to drink the liquid form of an old wheat roll that's been sitting around for a very long time and is hard as a rock, but also has a little bit of mold growing on it somehow. It was so bad. It turned my stomach so much that I had to pour a decent portion down the drain. The amount I managed to get down got me buzzed, but at what cost?

03-18-2013 18:07:43 | More by ElCommodoro

09-23-2012 21:19:42 | More by alva7172
Reidrover

Oregon

1.53/5  rDev -32%

Ok my recent foray into the underworld of cheap ( and nasty) beers continues with this. Ugliest looking can I ever did see..ugly looking Ox with a prison wall as background..just who are they trying to impress? LOL
Appearance is dark yellow with a large white head that goes very fast leaving nowt!
Smell is somewhat floral..in an artificial room freshener way..weird
Taste is just some really cheap malt sweetness follwed by barely concealed alcohol..and not nice alcohol taste either.
Yucky and clingy on the tongue.
Not drinkable for me..Im happy I get paid on Wednesday..so I can buy some at least average beers to drink...I hate to think I would have to drink stuff like this all the time!

10-04-2003 04:56:26 | More by Reidrover
Wasatch

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a nice looking golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy white head, very little sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy, ricy, with some skunk notes. The taste is kinda sweet, lots of grains, rice. Light/Medium Body. What the hell is going on with these macro brews, they suck. A waste of water and money.

08-14-2011 19:38:14 | More by Wasatch
clayrock81

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Right up there w/ Schlitz's Blue Bull in terms of cheapness (I use that term in regards to taste and impact on wallet), but will get you drunk quicker. The smell had this acidic, alkaline battery smell. Almost like this took off some of the metal from the vat they make it in (or they used paint thinner to clean them (old urban legend)). This is very light and watery w/ nothing to hide the hops that make up the ABV. I would avoid having more than one 40 of this. Then again, I would avoid this in general. At least the label isn't completey generic like the Blue Bull label from the other Schlitz Malt Liquor (this one has a brick wall).

01-15-2008 19:25:35 | More by clayrock81
orangemoustache

1.53/5  rDev -32%

A-clear gold straw color with thick foamy white head that retains well leaving behind lots of lacing to my suprise

S-like a funky hospital hallway(puke)masked by some nauseating aerosol floral air freshener

T-buttery popcorn,rotten creamed corn,skol vodka aftertaste(it's getting hard to stomache)

M-thin and bubbly way to much carbonation,but I think thats the last thing this beer needs to fix,it leaves a morning breath aftertaste(I'm brushing my teeth as soon as I am done,It's that bad!)

D-I enjoy some 40oz from time to time,but this could scare me from trying many more,I'll stick with OE 800 from now on!

03-28-2008 05:34:59 | More by orangemoustache
happygnome

1.58/5  rDev -29.8%

a: pale yellow, inch of frothy white head dissapears fast leaving no lace
s: very little malt or hop presence in the aroma deffinate alcohol presence in aroma
t: sweet start leads to high presence of alcohol in finish, very very dry feeling and a burning not pleasant
m: light bodied very carbonated

overall this is a really cheap beer, I think $1.95 for a 40oz, it also has a lot of alcohol in it. However out of the 40s ive had this isnt all that bad. Most of the time when buyig a 40, the intent is on getting drunk, this will atleast give you a good start. I dont recommend this unless that is your goal

03-26-2007 01:45:02 | More by happygnome
Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)