1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.

awful

awful

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2002)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 62 | Reviews: 48 | Show All Ratings:
SometimesIfart

2.1/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Drank straight from the can so I have no clue.

S - Aluminum, Stale malt, grains, alcohol.

T - Aluminum, malt, grains, alcohol on the finish. Surprisingly not bad for a malt liquor of this strength .

M - Medium carbonation with a medium body.

O - Overall, It's a cheap malt liquor that doesn't taste like absolute garbage. After finishing the 240z can I had a happy buzz so in my book that's a plus since that's really the only purpose to malt liquor. I'll give it a 2.5 for that in this category. And remember some wise words, SCHLITZ GIVES YOU THE SHITS.

11-27-2012 20:40:27 | More by SometimesIfart
ZenAgnostic

3.3/5  rDev +45.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

APR3012 stamped on bottom of 24oz / 710mL can poured into a mug.

Appearance - Clear bronze body with a loose white head with low retention and tons of stick.

Smell - Musky corn. Horseblanket. Slightly solvent.

Taste - A bit bitter with some sweet corn up front, musky in the middle, with a relatively clean finish.

Mouthfeel - Light and with a bit of stickiness but mostly clean.

Overall Drinkability - Pretty decent for its style. Mostly clean all around, so that's a major plus for a style where you really don't want to taste or feel the harsh brewing byproduct.

12-13-2011 07:39:00 | More by ZenAgnostic
drabmuh

Maryland

2.2/5  rDev -3.1%

Bad beer Thursday continues with Schlitz Bull Ice (IML). Beer served in a Schlafly stange. Beer is dark yellow and moderately carbonated iwth a big white head of small bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Nice.

Beer's aroma is mildly sweet. A little of that "soapy" aroma I get in some of these beers.

Beer is pretty bland with only a mild sweet aftertaste. Not a very good one I fear. Oh well. I've had a lot of these Schlitz beers and the best one I've had so far is the VSL, it is actually a decent beers, the rest of these are just awful. It's thin and watery with very ltitle flavor and a harsh blunt finish.

01-14-2011 02:12:14 | More by drabmuh
7beerphil

Maryland

2.88/5  rDev +26.9%

Pours a deep straw/golden color for the 24oz can. Not much of a head, what was there faded quickly.

Smells of alcohol and corn, not much else.

Tastes strongly of alcohol, with a cereal bite. Sweet, not much of a hoppy feel. This is expected of a higher gravity malt.

Goes down easily, with little aftertaste. For drinkability purposes, I'd much rather drink the blue bull or red bull, rather than the silver. However, I still need to try the VSL (gold bull) to complete the Schiltz Bull tastings.

I would drink this again, especially if I could find it in a 40oz.

12-14-2010 02:30:02 | More by 7beerphil
sjverla

1.43/5  rDev -37%

Nose: Hardly there. Sweetness and alcohol. It smells tangy, but not hoppy.

Appearance: Crystal clear pale gold. Big white head forms quickly and dissipates just as fast.

Taste: Unpleasant and grainy. Corn and alcohol. Thin but sticky on the palate--like drinking dirty water.

Overall: The clarity (not natural) and the price point ($4.99 for 6 tall boys) are the only things that make this even the least bit acceptable.

10-02-2010 02:44:04 | More by sjverla
biggred1

Indiana

3.13/5  rDev +37.9%

Clear, light copper with big bubbles racing to the surface of a respectable rocky white foam head that melts into soft peaks and leaves blotchy lace behind. Sweet malt and grain alcohol make up the nose. This beer tastes like a malt liquor should, if you like the style..and I do, grits and sweet maltiness with just enough generic hop bitterness to balance perfectly. Alcohol warms the belly with each sip. Medium bodied with mild carbonation. Decent brew, if you like malt liquor.

05-31-2009 02:52:20 | More by biggred1
Spikester

Oregon

3.33/5  rDev +46.7%

From a 24 ounce aluminum can. Poured a nice copper color with little head. From Stroh Brewery Milwaukie, WI. (Owned by SAB Miller) Aroma is winey, sweet, malty.
Flavor on first sip vaguely reminds me of hard apple cider. There is a syrupy quality to this stuff and very sweet overall. I could actually taste a bit of hops but they are overwhelmed by the malts. The alcohol is fairly well hidden for the style. Amazingly easy drinking for a 8.2abv.
One of the better tasting M.L.s. Drink at your own risk.

04-09-2009 05:57:43 | More by Spikester
Beernoisseur

Utah

1.15/5  rDev -49.3%

There are a couple beers that I've found in my fridge and I, honest to God, cannot recall how they ended up there. Schlitz Bull Ice has a reputation of being a notoriously bad malt liquor. I am kind of morbidly curious about these infamous offerings. I am admittedly biased, but I'll try to put it aside for now. So here goes...

The pour is not absolutely awful. The head recedes rapidly, and there's no lacing at all. The color is of concentrated pee. The smell is where things really start to go downhill. There's a lot of alcohol. That's pretty much it. Maybe a few echoes of malt in the background. The taste is what takes you to rock bottom. It's just simply terrible. I feel like the ghosts of dead fruit will be haunting my palate forever. It reminds me of the smell under a mango tree I found in Hawaii where all the fruit had fallen off and rotted. It's just a monkey of chaos, throwing feces all over the cage of my mouth.

Mouthfeel is who cares. Drinkability is no.

03-22-2009 03:09:24 | More by Beernoisseur
PatrickJR

3.55/5  rDev +56.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 24 oz can into pint glass.

A - Pale, perfectly clear, yellowish gold. With a hard pour I get a full 2 fingers of head. Retention is short but not the worst I've seen on malt liquors. There is actually some slight lacing on the glass.

S - A blast of sweetness, with DMS, cereal grain, and a metallic, boozy aroma in the background.

T - Light notes of corn and sour apple early on. Sweetness kicks in but it's backed perfectly by an almost pleasant graininess. Grassy flavor kicks in late palate before leading into a moderate but not overbearing punch from the alcohol. Aftertaste is rough, with a bitter herb flavor and slight astringency, bringing the score down half a point.

M - Whoa! Great malt liquor mouthfeel on this one. Light to medium bodied with medium to high carbonation. Deceptively smooth while maintaining and appropriate crispness.

D - One of the better malt liquors I've run across, this might just give Steel Reserve a run for it's money. Though a bit of a "rarity" around here, Schlitz IML is a worthy competitor.

12-31-2008 09:17:20 | More by PatrickJR
Bitterbill

Wyoming

1.23/5  rDev -45.8%

Ok, I saw this at a local liquor store and thought I'd try it. I'm not expecting much...

Woah. It turns out to be worse than I thought it could be. It doesn't look half bad in the glass but whilst hoisting said glass to my nose and mouth, I got a whiff of an atrocious smell of what? Stale corn? Chemically stale corn? Whatever it is, it put me off right from the get go.

Taste? I sure didn't have any when I decided to pick this up. Nasty semi sweet flavour of rotting grain? I kid you not, this absolutely sucks and is most assuredly a drain pour, I really can't imagine a market for it. "nuff said.

05-03-2008 20:03:47 | More by Bitterbill
Overlord

These were some of the greatest cans ever! Too bad the beer was horrible.

Pours the flat, urine-y looking color of most malt liquors. The smell and taste were perhaps less putrid than most, though still nothing to write home about. Mostly a rotten corn flavor/aroma permeated.

Avoid.

05-03-2008 08:43:54 | More by Overlord
WVbeergeek

1.73/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appears a yellow golden hue with a large white head which quickly dwindles revealing rather even lacing kinda weird to see that pour from this 24oz can of Schlitz Bull Ice. Aroma has a very sweet tone wtih corn and rice noticeable as the sugar sources along with evident almost grain alcohol notes doesn't hide the fact that it's 8.2% abv at all. Flavor comes off grainy with strong alcohol and corn and rice and a hint of fruitiness that is a bearable other than that I was bludgeoned with notes that I care not redescribe especially if you've tasted a high gravity malt liquor. Not palatable to me let's move on to the mouthfeel...light to medium bodied kinda coats the palate in the worst way artificial carbonation stays with me way too long. Drinkability... god knows especially not on anyone's deathbed please god not mine.

06-19-2006 22:28:47 | More by WVbeergeek
rodrot

1.85/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3

I tried this beer last night just for the hell of it. The grocery store in the town I was in didn't have much of a selection, so I decided to go for the cheap buzz. This beer poured a darkish, yellow color with no head at all. Not a good sign for what was to come. The smell was of corn and ethanol. Taste was barely tolerable. I tasted mainly adjuncts and alcohol, with some fruity ale-like notes. As the beer warmed up, the corn and rice flavors became more pronounced along with the boozy taste. I finished the 24oz can and went to bed. Maybe I should have picked up that lone 6-pack of Killians instead.

01-08-2006 13:34:09 | More by rodrot
Reidrover

Oregon

1.53/5  rDev -32.6%

Ok my recent foray into the underworld of cheap ( and nasty) beers continues with this. Ugliest looking can I ever did see..ugly looking Ox with a prison wall as background..just who are they trying to impress? LOL
Appearance is dark yellow with a large white head that goes very fast leaving nowt!
Smell is somewhat floral..in an artificial room freshener way..weird
Taste is just some really cheap malt sweetness follwed by barely concealed alcohol..and not nice alcohol taste either.
Yucky and clingy on the tongue.
Not drinkable for me..Im happy I get paid on Wednesday..so I can buy some at least average beers to drink...I hate to think I would have to drink stuff like this all the time!

10-04-2003 04:56:26 | More by Reidrover
NeroFiddled

2.65/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A clear yellow-gold body is capped by a good-sized head of creamy white foam that holds exceptionally well and initially leaves some very nice rings of lace about the glass (not that too many fans of this beer are drinking it from glasses). It delivers some mildly sweet malt in the nose (which is nice), a clear note of alcohol, and some low-key fruitiness. At times it can smell like a cheap white wine. And there's also a low background vegetal note. It's not offensive, however, and may actually lend some additional character to the aroma! In the mouth it's full and creamy with a gentle caress on the tongue before sliding away as smooth as velvet. It's so full in fact, that it sticks about the mouth (and I had to rinse my mouth out with water throughout the tasting to try to look for any nuances that might be there). In the flavor, the lightly sweet malt (which is obviously adjunct-laden as there's little graininess to it) combines with the alcohol to balance it out (rather than bitterness). The subtle fruitiness that's there tries to compete with the alcohol but never really comes through as more than a background note. In fact, the alcohol is surprisingly strong desipte the fact that it's only 8.2% by volume (the initial fermentation must be quite warm for a lager yeast strain). It finishes with an initial note of sweet malt that slowly erodes amongst increasing, drying alcohol. It's certainly not the best malt liquor, but it's not the worst I've tasted. I certainly prefer this more malty "Ice" version to the Red Bull!

06-20-2003 14:48:14 | More by NeroFiddled
longbongsilver

Missouri

3.58/5  rDev +57.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Trade got me a 40 of Silver Bull. Demo pour comes out a highly carbonated tannish dark yellow, half inch of foamy white head collapses to surface cling. Smell is apple, pear, a bit of cornbread. Comes in with less dryness than usual for the lowly malt liquor as a style, follows the smells with sweet booze without being a huge smack of such, very balanced. Doesn't feel as fizzy as it looks, just enough.

I think I have a new heavyweight champion in this category. Sucks I can't get it local, it'd be a regular easily.

03-12-2014 05:12:26 | More by longbongsilver
LushessPuppy

Vermont

3.35/5  rDev +47.6%

This Ice Malt Liquor is definitely a sipper. It makes my lips tingle and is hard on the throat. After every few swigs from a frost glass I need a sip of water to continue. Sometimes it makes me gag and I spit up a little. I prefer Hefenreffer and O.E. but with the ass kicking 8.2% it does have it's place. To get wrecked! Though it's very soothing and calming in the end...

03-10-2014 19:14:08 | More by LushessPuppy
bmaninbama

I judge malt liquors on their taste and ability to get me a buzz in record time. Schlitz Bull Ice does it for me like no other. The taste is outstanding, and the buzz factor is off the scale. Steel Reserve and Olde English 800 are good when there is no Bull Ice available, but the Bull tramples all! I only wish I had access to Bull Ice 8% + here in Virginia like I had in Oklahoma.. No luck, though. Only 5.9%.

12-28-2013 05:23:26 | More by bmaninbama
michiganminer

1.71/5  rDev -24.7%

I'm a Malt Liquor fan and this stuff sucks. I wanted to find the O.M.L but this is all they sell here. I always keep a few steel reserves in the fridge when I want a quick buzz over my usual PBR so I do drink 8.0 Swill regularly. This stuff is nasty it has one hell of an aftertaste. Just gross. Pretty sure once I finish the 40 I'll have a buzz but damn I should have just got 2 SR's and been 8 oz. to the better.

11-28-2013 05:09:21 | More by michiganminer
ElCommodoro

1.45/5  rDev -36.1%

I love malt liquors and was therefore very excited to get a hold of this since they don't have it in Texas (at least not that I've seen). All I can say is what an enormous disappointment. The taste was so incredibly stale. It was awful. It sort of tasted like Steel Reserve Triple Export, but WAY less fresh. It had a nauseating mild yeasty character that just did not accompany stale malt at all. It was like trying to drink the liquid form of an old wheat roll that's been sitting around for a very long time and is hard as a rock, but also has a little bit of mold growing on it somehow. It was so bad. It turned my stomach so much that I had to pour a decent portion down the drain. The amount I managed to get down got me buzzed, but at what cost?

03-18-2013 18:07:43 | More by ElCommodoro
johnZ

4.05/5  rDev +78.4%

I said to myself this is either rotgut or very good, not surprised to say its more good than bad. One huge point you beer snobs keep bringing up is: its not hoppy... Look up MALT LIQUOR it has NO HOPS. It is kind of a scotch ale type of taste and very good for what it is. if you`re waiting for the rosy hop buzz it will never come(I like it too-but this was a change) and a trip back to the early 70`s when I drank the bull. All in all a good malt. Would I drink it every day? not a chance, but for a change it was very good in a sammy glass. One more thing-I`m writing as I`m drinking it and I will finish the 40oz I bought and see about the hangover factor tomorrow. This is somewhere between champale and the old ballatine triple and is 8.2% so its like I already said about scotch ale style. at this point I would say winner winner chicken dinner-but I will wait for the hangover mentioned earlier

03-01-2012 23:52:58 | More by johnZ
emerge077

2.5/5  rDev +10.1%

Screwtop 40, poured into a pint glass. Best by JUN042012.

Puffy white head of foam that lasts for a few minutes, it has a dimpled surface and leaves sudsy soapy lacing in the glass. Bright high clarity gold.

When the cap is cracked it had a pleasant smell of sweet apple, then later it's the usual wet grains husks and light minerality. Surprisingly clean with zero detectable alcohol in the aroma.

Taste is a little less refined, grainy and coarse, light apple sweetness. Alcohol is a bit more perceptible, but thankfully not too rough. There's some fruity esters, apple jacks, not much astringency, only slight. Fairly clean, which goes along way for malt liquor. Overall this is serviceable, not overly sweet, boozy, or full of off flavors. After a little while the alcohol is felt fairly quickly. For a malt liquor, this isn't too bad, though I wouldn't seek it out again. Edit: After the lingering next day hangover, definitely won't seek this out again.

01-02-2012 02:46:20 | More by emerge077
Wasatch

Utah

1.53/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a nice looking golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy white head, very little sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy, ricy, with some skunk notes. The taste is kinda sweet, lots of grains, rice. Light/Medium Body. What the hell is going on with these macro brews, they suck. A waste of water and money.

08-14-2011 19:38:14 | More by Wasatch
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

3.68/5  rDev +62.1%

Schlitz IML has a thick, rather frothy white head and a clear, golden appearance. Lots of heavy lacing is left down the glass. The aroma is grainy (think corn), and the taste is bold, grainy, very sweet, and full. Some slight hop bitterness is also there (19.3 IBU). Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and the finish is chewy, dense, and harsh. Drinkability is not terribly high here; it’s a sipper. Overall, Schlitz Bull IML is a more complex beer than one would expect (it compares well to a helles dopple bock), and it’s bold character is compelling. I think you should try it.

RJT

06-28-2011 15:45:56 | More by RonaldTheriot
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

1.05/5  rDev -53.7%

40oz. Nasty yellow no head, lacing, even the clarity sucks in this beer.

Aroma and taste are just fusel and rubbing alcohol (not that I can tell a difference).

Mouthfeel is a little thicker consistency than water, and once you annhilate your taste buds to the alcohol, you 'could' get some marginal enjoyment out of the corn syrup sweetness feel to it. Other than that, this stuff fulfills its destiny, as an awful beer.

04-26-2011 21:38:36 | More by Beerandraiderfan
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)