Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.20% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. Alström Bros
2.53/5  rDev +14%

Screwtop 40, poured into a pint glass. Best by JUN042012.

Puffy white head of foam that lasts for a few minutes, it has a dimpled surface and leaves sudsy soapy lacing in the glass. Bright high clarity gold.

When the cap is cracked it had a pleasant smell of sweet apple, then later it's the usual wet grains husks and light minerality. Surprisingly clean with zero detectable alcohol in the aroma.

Taste is a little less refined, grainy and coarse, light apple sweetness. Alcohol is a bit more perceptible, but thankfully not too rough. There's some fruity esters, apple jacks, not much astringency, only slight. Fairly clean, which goes along way for malt liquor. Overall this is serviceable, not overly sweet, boozy, or full of off flavors. After a little while the alcohol is felt fairly quickly. For a malt liquor, this isn't too bad, though I wouldn't seek it out again. Edit: After the lingering next day hangover, definitely won't seek this out again.

2.66/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A clear yellow-gold body is capped by a good-sized head of creamy white foam that holds exceptionally well and initially leaves some very nice rings of lace about the glass (not that too many fans of this beer are drinking it from glasses). It delivers some mildly sweet malt in the nose (which is nice), a clear note of alcohol, and some low-key fruitiness. At times it can smell like a cheap white wine. And there's also a low background vegetal note. It's not offensive, however, and may actually lend some additional character to the aroma! In the mouth it's full and creamy with a gentle caress on the tongue before sliding away as smooth as velvet. It's so full in fact, that it sticks about the mouth (and I had to rinse my mouth out with water throughout the tasting to try to look for any nuances that might be there). In the flavor, the lightly sweet malt (which is obviously adjunct-laden as there's little graininess to it) combines with the alcohol to balance it out (rather than bitterness). The subtle fruitiness that's there tries to compete with the alcohol but never really comes through as more than a background note. In fact, the alcohol is surprisingly strong desipte the fact that it's only 8.2% by volume (the initial fermentation must be quite warm for a lager yeast strain). It finishes with an initial note of sweet malt that slowly erodes amongst increasing, drying alcohol. It's certainly not the best malt liquor, but it's not the worst I've tasted. I certainly prefer this more malty "Ice" version to the Red Bull!

1.13/5  rDev -49.1%

This is a horrific beer; from the smell of rubbing alcohol to the metallic graininess I could only put down a few swallows. Painful to drink … the alcohol stings every time you take a sip and it covers up any beer flavour that may be there. This beer gives 40s a bad name.

1.7/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appears a yellow golden hue with a large white head which quickly dwindles revealing rather even lacing kinda weird to see that pour from this 24oz can of Schlitz Bull Ice. Aroma has a very sweet tone wtih corn and rice noticeable as the sugar sources along with evident almost grain alcohol notes doesn't hide the fact that it's 8.2% abv at all. Flavor comes off grainy with strong alcohol and corn and rice and a hint of fruitiness that is a bearable other than that I was bludgeoned with notes that I care not redescribe especially if you've tasted a high gravity malt liquor. Not palatable to me let's move on to the mouthfeel...light to medium bodied kinda coats the palate in the worst way artificial carbonation stays with me way too long. Drinkability... god knows especially not on anyone's deathbed please god not mine.

2.22/5  rDev 0%

Bad beer Thursday continues with Schlitz Bull Ice (IML). Beer served in a Schlafly stange. Beer is dark yellow and moderately carbonated iwth a big white head of small bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Nice.

Beer's aroma is mildly sweet. A little of that "soapy" aroma I get in some of these beers.

Beer is pretty bland with only a mild sweet aftertaste. Not a very good one I fear. Oh well. I've had a lot of these Schlitz beers and the best one I've had so far is the VSL, it is actually a decent beers, the rest of these are just awful. It's thin and watery with very ltitle flavor and a harsh blunt finish.

1.53/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a nice looking golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy white head, very little sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy, ricy, with some skunk notes. The taste is kinda sweet, lots of grains, rice. Light/Medium Body. What the hell is going on with these macro brews, they suck. A waste of water and money.

3.13/5  rDev +41%

Very surprised when I tried this, very good for a large brewery. Good carbonation and head, very smooth and with a 40oz bottle you should share or take your time - the 8.2% ABV has a kick and its only $1.49.

1.83/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from the 40 ouncer marked SEP1409-CO5110116. Sampled on August 16, 2009 (Minor update 8/12/11).

A - Your basic pale yellow with a fizzy white head that slowly bubbles down to a very thin one leaving thin lacing on the glass and a slow upward carbonation. It looked about right for its style.

S - The aroma is of malts, corn, and alcohol.

T/M - The mouthfeel has a texture that is better than water but not what I would classify as medium. Somewhere in between. The taste is retched although with some hops in the background. It leaves a sour unappealing aftertaste.

1.25/5  rDev -43.7%

Ok, I saw this at a local liquor store and thought I'd try it. I'm not expecting much...

Woah. It turns out to be worse than I thought it could be. It doesn't look half bad in the glass but whilst hoisting said glass to my nose and mouth, I got a whiff of an atrocious smell of what? Stale corn? Chemically stale corn? Whatever it is, it put me off right from the get go.

Taste? I sure didn't have any when I decided to pick this up. Nasty semi sweet flavour of rotting grain? I kid you not, this absolutely sucks and is most assuredly a drain pour, I really can't imagine a market for it. "nuff said.

1.05/5  rDev -52.7%

40oz. Nasty yellow no head, lacing, even the clarity sucks in this beer.

Aroma and taste are just fusel and rubbing alcohol (not that I can tell a difference).

Mouthfeel is a little thicker consistency than water, and once you annhilate your taste buds to the alcohol, you 'could' get some marginal enjoyment out of the corn syrup sweetness feel to it. Other than that, this stuff fulfills its destiny, as an awful beer.

2.79/5  rDev +25.7%

Pours a nice golden color with a two finger head into my glass.

Aroma is sweet and grainy with a good dose of alcohol in the nose.

Taste is grainy and sweet, nearly syrupy with a mild alcohol burn. Not as sweet as the V.S.L.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering sweetness from the adjuncts. However, its not as syrupy. Feels more normal in that area.

Not bad. More tolerable than the v.s.l. Not bad for the style. Not too impressive otherwise but you should try it anyway.

1.53/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Right up there w/ Schlitz's Blue Bull in terms of cheapness (I use that term in regards to taste and impact on wallet), but will get you drunk quicker. The smell had this acidic, alkaline battery smell. Almost like this took off some of the metal from the vat they make it in (or they used paint thinner to clean them (old urban legend)). This is very light and watery w/ nothing to hide the hops that make up the ABV. I would avoid having more than one 40 of this. Then again, I would avoid this in general. At least the label isn't completey generic like the Blue Bull label from the other Schlitz Malt Liquor (this one has a brick wall).

1.55/5  rDev -30.2%

Ok my recent foray into the underworld of cheap ( and nasty) beers continues with this. Ugliest looking can I ever did see..ugly looking Ox with a prison wall as background..just who are they trying to impress? LOL
Appearance is dark yellow with a large white head that goes very fast leaving nowt!
Smell is somewhat floral..in an artificial room freshener way..weird
Taste is just some really cheap malt sweetness follwed by barely concealed alcohol..and not nice alcohol taste either.
Yucky and clingy on the tongue.
Not drinkable for me..Im happy I get paid on Wednesday..so I can buy some at least average beers to drink...I hate to think I would have to drink stuff like this all the time!

3.63/5  rDev +63.5%

Schlitz IML has a thick, rather frothy white head and a clear, golden appearance. Lots of heavy lacing is left down the glass. The aroma is grainy (think corn), and the taste is bold, grainy, very sweet, and full. Some slight hop bitterness is also there (19.3 IBU). Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and the finish is chewy, dense, and harsh. Drinkability is not terribly high here; it’s a sipper. Overall, Schlitz Bull IML is a more complex beer than one would expect (it compares well to a helles dopple bock), and it’s bold character is compelling. I think you should try it.

These were some of the greatest cans ever! Too bad the beer was horrible.

Pours the flat, urine-y looking color of most malt liquors. The smell and taste were perhaps less putrid than most, though still nothing to write home about. Mostly a rotten corn flavor/aroma permeated.

3.07/5  rDev +38.3%

It was 40 night at my house again. Cause them bitches can screw themselves. And bitter beer goes well with a bitter mood. Out of the giant bottle this beer was a clear, dark gold color with a skim of white head. The retention was weak and the lacing was pretty good. The aroma was semi-sweet and mildly sour like fermented apple cider mixed with corn mash. The flavors were similar, starting on a more dull and muted note it then got sweet in a candy-like (dextrose) way that was clearly being used to cover up the alcohol. Still, for 8.2% it was rather easy to drink. The carbonation was light, the body medium, the mouthfeel slick.

1.46/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

Poured into a big 24 oz. mug in 2 waves of beer. Looked to be a dark yellow color, with a good sized fluffy white head. Smell was heavy on the skunked adjuncts, I would've guessed that this is a product of Iowa, based on all of the corn in it. Taste was absolutley foul. Cloyingly sweet, with skunk that made me shudder after every sip. Alcohol was also extremely present. This is not a good tasting substance, but after only one bottle i was feeling pretty warm on a cold Minnesota night.

Schlitz Bull Ice pours a light orange with a thick white head from a clear thirty two ounce bottle. Smells like corn, maybe a bit like corn husk. Tastes fairly bad even by malt liquor standards. I've had worse, but this isn't good by any stretch. Lots of alcohol noticeable in the taste. Metallic aftertaste. I'm sure the swill will be really bad. Spend your pocket change elsewhere.

2.74/5  rDev +23.4%

Picked up a 40 oz of this Ghetto looking stuff at a gas station...thankfully that gas station isn't all that close to my house. I was actually sort of embarrassed to buy this since I just came from the gym and look pretty haggard in my sweat pants anyway. Oh well. Here goes nothing...

A - Deep gold with a two finger head that settles at a nice half-inch cap, and leaves a lot of foamy lace on the glass. This looks good enough to put lagers that cost three times as much to shame.

S - Thick corn flake and booze notes that remind me that yes, this is indeed mawt likkah. This is however, pretty much inoffensive and basic. No real off notes or anything....and that's about all you can ask for in a bum-bottle 4-0.

T - This has a lot of character. The flavor sort of reminds me of the water that you pour out of a can of corn, and there is a hint of dish soap, bit it honestly ain't half bad.

M - Big, bad, dirty, and boozy. This is a BIG beer. I can feel the alcohol in my gut and in my head, and I've only imbibed a 12 oz glass from the giant 40oz bottle. Good think I have the day off...this is a heavy hitter. If you want to enjoy beer, then this is not the thing for you, but if you want to catch a buzz for a buck and a half then this is your vehicle to paradise. 40 ounces to freedom!

D - This is head an shoulders above some other malt liquors, and I would take this over

2.98/5  rDev +34.2%

Wow, not bad. This is somewhat similar to Colt 45, but with a far higher alcohol content and a much more malty flavor. Another welcome suprise was the fact that for being 8.2% alcohol, it lacks that strong booze flavor. Strong overtones of corn and malt dominate this brew, with an almost creamy mouthfeel. I'm not a malt liquor fan by any means, but this stuff is really quite good. For those of you who favor lagers and ales, this may be up your alley. Worth a try.

1.38/5  rDev -37.8%

40 oz. Bottle

AP: Pale gold, urine comes to mind. Seems active, decent 2" all white head is wavey and frothy.

Nose: Only mildly aromatic, mild malt, kinda wheaty, slight leafy hop.

Taste: This is where things go really bad... It starts off with a bitter (like chewing on tylenol bitter) malt thing happening, gets a slight wheat-like flavor then a chemical-like bitterness happens again. Ends with the classic sickly sweet "malt liqour" rancidness.

MF: It looks active but when it hits the palate it just sits there and dies...feels flat and thin.

DA: Be good to yourself my fellow BA's....save your tastebuds the grief...I wish I had.

3.22/5  rDev +45%

A= Fizzy and yellow just like a malt liquor should be. A thin white head rises up and falls fast to a thin ring around the glass.

S= Not nearly as much alcohol as I expected in the nose. Lots of corn in it and a slight sweetness.

T= Again not nearly as bad as I expected. There is a great corn sweetness to it and a little bit of alcohol.

M= Medium body to a little sticky.

D= Not as bad as I expected but still bad. I would drink it again if I wanted to get messed up.

3.39/5  rDev +52.7%

From a 24 ounce aluminum can. Poured a nice copper color with little head. From Stroh Brewery Milwaukie, WI. (Owned by SAB Miller) Aroma is winey, sweet, malty.
Flavor on first sip vaguely reminds me of hard apple cider. There is a syrupy quality to this stuff and very sweet overall. I could actually taste a bit of hops but they are overwhelmed by the malts. The alcohol is fairly well hidden for the style. Amazingly easy drinking for a 8.2abv.
One of the better tasting M.L.s. Drink at your own risk.
11/4/2014. Had to update score for appearance. Huge dense white head. Lasts a good 10 minutes and leaves copious lacing.

3.08/5  rDev +38.7%

Clear, light copper with big bubbles racing to the surface of a respectable rocky white foam head that melts into soft peaks and leaves blotchy lace behind. Sweet malt and grain alcohol make up the nose. This beer tastes like a malt liquor should, if you like the style..and I do, grits and sweet maltiness with just enough generic hop bitterness to balance perfectly. Alcohol warms the belly with each sip. Medium bodied with mild carbonation. Decent brew, if you like malt liquor.

1.95/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

Back with some more Bottom Shelf Beer Review Week! For the beer #4 of BSBRW, I'm choosing Schlitz Bull Ice.

Appearance : Surprisingly aesthetic, with a very tall three finger head. The head takes its time receding, and leaves lace on the glass that rivals top shelf IPA's. This is certainly the best malt liquor pour I have ever laid eyes on. The body is pale straw and 90% transparent. Easily the best appearance out of any malt liquor ever.

Smell : Mostly corn and grain, slightly toasted, with a bit of hop leaf and chemical. It's not bad, I've smelled worse, and the chemical bill could certainly be higher. So far this is impressing me a little.

Taste : And here's where it falls apart. It tastes like a bowl of fruit loops doused in gasoline. The fruity esters just give this vomity estery character to what would normally be replaced by grain. It's HIGHLY chemical, in fact it tastes like poison. My natural senses are kicking in to say "don't drink this, it's poisonous". However I keep wanting to lick my lips as if there's sugar on them. Is this brewed with antifreeze?!!?

Feel : At this point I don't really care, but it's relatively creamy but mostly sticky, drinks like a syrup, with a burn from the alcohol.

Overall : Cheap junk like this gets you a different kind of drunk than what I'm used to from better quality craft beers. This kind of crap makes you dizzy right off the bat, messes with your coordination, and makes you slur like a redneck. Schlitz Bull Ice is one of the worst beers in existence. This is a beer I will never lay lips to again.

Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)