Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L.

awful

awful

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.20% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev +12.1%

Screwtop 40, poured into a pint glass. Best by JUN042012.

Puffy white head of foam that lasts for a few minutes, it has a dimpled surface and leaves sudsy soapy lacing in the glass. Bright high clarity gold.

When the cap is cracked it had a pleasant smell of sweet apple, then later it's the usual wet grains husks and light minerality. Surprisingly clean with zero detectable alcohol in the aroma.

Taste is a little less refined, grainy and coarse, light apple sweetness. Alcohol is a bit more perceptible, but thankfully not too rough. There's some fruity esters, apple jacks, not much astringency, only slight. Fairly clean, which goes along way for malt liquor. Overall this is serviceable, not overly sweet, boozy, or full of off flavors. After a little while the alcohol is felt fairly quickly. For a malt liquor, this isn't too bad, though I wouldn't seek it out again. Edit: After the lingering next day hangover, definitely won't seek this out again.

emerge077, Jan 02, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -32.7%

buckyp, Dec 31, 2011
3.3/5  rDev +48%

APR3012 stamped on bottom of 24oz / 710mL can poured into a mug.

Appearance - Clear bronze body with a loose white head with low retention and tons of stick.

Smell - Musky corn. Horseblanket. Slightly solvent.

Taste - A bit bitter with some sweet corn up front, musky in the middle, with a relatively clean finish.

Mouthfeel - Light and with a bit of stickiness but mostly clean.

Overall Drinkability - Pretty decent for its style. Mostly clean all around, so that's a major plus for a style where you really don't want to taste or feel the harsh brewing byproduct.

ZenAgnostic, Dec 13, 2011

FreshmanPour77, Nov 23, 2011

ROGUE16, Nov 17, 2011
1.53/5  rDev -31.4%

Pours a nice looking golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy white head, very little sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy, ricy, with some skunk notes. The taste is kinda sweet, lots of grains, rice. Light/Medium Body. What the hell is going on with these macro brews, they suck. A waste of water and money.

Wasatch, Aug 14, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +65%

Schlitz IML has a thick, rather frothy white head and a clear, golden appearance. Lots of heavy lacing is left down the glass. The aroma is grainy (think corn), and the taste is bold, grainy, very sweet, and full. Some slight hop bitterness is also there (19.3 IBU). Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, and the finish is chewy, dense, and harsh. Drinkability is not terribly high here; it’s a sipper. Overall, Schlitz Bull IML is a more complex beer than one would expect (it compares well to a helles dopple bock), and it’s bold character is compelling. I think you should try it.

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Jun 28, 2011
1.05/5  rDev -52.9%

40oz. Nasty yellow no head, lacing, even the clarity sucks in this beer.

Aroma and taste are just fusel and rubbing alcohol (not that I can tell a difference).

Mouthfeel is a little thicker consistency than water, and once you annhilate your taste buds to the alcohol, you 'could' get some marginal enjoyment out of the corn syrup sweetness feel to it. Other than that, this stuff fulfills its destiny, as an awful beer.

Beerandraiderfan, Apr 26, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -1.3%

Bad beer Thursday continues with Schlitz Bull Ice (IML). Beer served in a Schlafly stange. Beer is dark yellow and moderately carbonated iwth a big white head of small bubbles that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass. Nice.

Beer's aroma is mildly sweet. A little of that "soapy" aroma I get in some of these beers.

Beer is pretty bland with only a mild sweet aftertaste. Not a very good one I fear. Oh well. I've had a lot of these Schlitz beers and the best one I've had so far is the VSL, it is actually a decent beers, the rest of these are just awful. It's thin and watery with very ltitle flavor and a harsh blunt finish.

drabmuh, Jan 14, 2011
2.88/5  rDev +29.1%

Pours a deep straw/golden color for the 24oz can. Not much of a head, what was there faded quickly.

Smells of alcohol and corn, not much else.

Tastes strongly of alcohol, with a cereal bite. Sweet, not much of a hoppy feel. This is expected of a higher gravity malt.

Goes down easily, with little aftertaste. For drinkability purposes, I'd much rather drink the blue bull or red bull, rather than the silver. However, I still need to try the VSL (gold bull) to complete the Schiltz Bull tastings.

I would drink this again, especially if I could find it in a 40oz.

7beerphil, Dec 14, 2010
1.43/5  rDev -35.9%

Nose: Hardly there. Sweetness and alcohol. It smells tangy, but not hoppy.

Appearance: Crystal clear pale gold. Big white head forms quickly and dissipates just as fast.

Taste: Unpleasant and grainy. Corn and alcohol. Thin but sticky on the palate--like drinking dirty water.

Overall: The clarity (not natural) and the price point ($4.99 for 6 tall boys) are the only things that make this even the least bit acceptable.

sjverla, Oct 02, 2010
2.33/5  rDev +4.5%

a- typical yellow malt liquor look, maybe a little darker than im used to. nice head for malt liquor with good duration and fair lacing.
s- smells corny with a hint of alcohol as expected
t- corn syrup, malt and a hint of alcohol warmth
m- pretty decent mouthfeel for a malt liquor, actually slightly oily if im not hallucinating
d- as far as malt liquor goes, this is one of the better ones ive had but i think i actually prefer the lighter feeling and tasting ones like king cobra because the reason we drink these is to get drunk and cobra's just a little easier to chug

wallaceandvomit, Sep 28, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +43.5%

A= Fizzy and yellow just like a malt liquor should be. A thin white head rises up and falls fast to a thin ring around the glass.

S= Not nearly as much alcohol as I expected in the nose. Lots of corn in it and a slight sweetness.

T= Again not nearly as bad as I expected. There is a great corn sweetness to it and a little bit of alcohol.

M= Medium body to a little sticky.

D= Not as bad as I expected but still bad. I would drink it again if I wanted to get messed up.

jjanega08, Aug 23, 2010
1.85/5  rDev -17%

Poured from the 40 ouncer marked SEP1409-CO5110116. Sampled on August 16, 2009 (Minor update 8/12/11).

A - Your basic pale yellow with a fizzy white head that slowly bubbles down to a very thin one leaving thin lacing on the glass and a slow upward carbonation. It looked about right for its style.

S - The aroma is of malts, corn, and alcohol.

T/M - The mouthfeel has a texture that is better than water but not what I would classify as medium. Somewhere in between. The taste is retched although with some hops in the background. It leaves a sour unappealing aftertaste.

puboflyons, Aug 16, 2009
3.13/5  rDev +40.4%

Clear, light copper with big bubbles racing to the surface of a respectable rocky white foam head that melts into soft peaks and leaves blotchy lace behind. Sweet malt and grain alcohol make up the nose. This beer tastes like a malt liquor should, if you like the style..and I do, grits and sweet maltiness with just enough generic hop bitterness to balance perfectly. Alcohol warms the belly with each sip. Medium bodied with mild carbonation. Decent brew, if you like malt liquor.

biggred1, May 31, 2009
2.83/5  rDev +26.9%

Pours a nice golden color with a two finger head into my glass.

Aroma is sweet and grainy with a good dose of alcohol in the nose.

Taste is grainy and sweet, nearly syrupy with a mild alcohol burn. Not as sweet as the V.S.L.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering sweetness from the adjuncts. However, its not as syrupy. Feels more normal in that area.

Not bad. More tolerable than the v.s.l. Not bad for the style. Not too impressive otherwise but you should try it anyway.

Brad007, May 03, 2009
3.33/5  rDev +49.3%

From a 24 ounce aluminum can. Poured a nice copper color with little head. From Stroh Brewery Milwaukie, WI. (Owned by SAB Miller) Aroma is winey, sweet, malty.
Flavor on first sip vaguely reminds me of hard apple cider. There is a syrupy quality to this stuff and very sweet overall. I could actually taste a bit of hops but they are overwhelmed by the malts. The alcohol is fairly well hidden for the style. Amazingly easy drinking for a 8.2abv.
One of the better tasting M.L.s. Drink at your own risk.

Spikester, Apr 09, 2009
1.15/5  rDev -48.4%

There are a couple beers that I've found in my fridge and I, honest to God, cannot recall how they ended up there. Schlitz Bull Ice has a reputation of being a notoriously bad malt liquor. I am kind of morbidly curious about these infamous offerings. I am admittedly biased, but I'll try to put it aside for now. So here goes...

The pour is not absolutely awful. The head recedes rapidly, and there's no lacing at all. The color is of concentrated pee. The smell is where things really start to go downhill. There's a lot of alcohol. That's pretty much it. Maybe a few echoes of malt in the background. The taste is what takes you to rock bottom. It's just simply terrible. I feel like the ghosts of dead fruit will be haunting my palate forever. It reminds me of the smell under a mango tree I found in Hawaii where all the fruit had fallen off and rotted. It's just a monkey of chaos, throwing feces all over the cage of my mouth.

Mouthfeel is who cares. Drinkability is no.

Beernoisseur, Mar 22, 2009
3.05/5  rDev +36.8%

It was 40 night at my house again. Cause them bitches can screw themselves. And bitter beer goes well with a bitter mood. Out of the giant bottle this beer was a clear, dark gold color with a skim of white head. The retention was weak and the lacing was pretty good. The aroma was semi-sweet and mildly sour like fermented apple cider mixed with corn mash. The flavors were similar, starting on a more dull and muted note it then got sweet in a candy-like (dextrose) way that was clearly being used to cover up the alcohol. Still, for 8.2% it was rather easy to drink. The carbonation was light, the body medium, the mouthfeel slick.

thekevlarkid, Jan 31, 2009
3.55/5  rDev +59.2%

Poured from a 24 oz can into pint glass.

A - Pale, perfectly clear, yellowish gold. With a hard pour I get a full 2 fingers of head. Retention is short but not the worst I've seen on malt liquors. There is actually some slight lacing on the glass.

S - A blast of sweetness, with DMS, cereal grain, and a metallic, boozy aroma in the background.

T - Light notes of corn and sour apple early on. Sweetness kicks in but it's backed perfectly by an almost pleasant graininess. Grassy flavor kicks in late palate before leading into a moderate but not overbearing punch from the alcohol. Aftertaste is rough, with a bitter herb flavor and slight astringency, bringing the score down half a point.

M - Whoa! Great malt liquor mouthfeel on this one. Light to medium bodied with medium to high carbonation. Deceptively smooth while maintaining and appropriate crispness.

D - One of the better malt liquors I've run across, this might just give Steel Reserve a run for it's money. Though a bit of a "rarity" around here, Schlitz IML is a worthy competitor.

PatrickJR, Dec 31, 2008
2.78/5  rDev +24.7%

Picked up a 40 oz of this Ghetto looking stuff at a gas station...thankfully that gas station isn't all that close to my house. I was actually sort of embarrassed to buy this since I just came from the gym and look pretty haggard in my sweat pants anyway. Oh well. Here goes nothing...

A - Deep gold with a two finger head that settles at a nice half-inch cap, and leaves a lot of foamy lace on the glass. This looks good enough to put lagers that cost three times as much to shame.

S - Thick corn flake and booze notes that remind me that yes, this is indeed mawt likkah. This is however, pretty much inoffensive and basic. No real off notes or anything....and that's about all you can ask for in a bum-bottle 4-0.

T - This has a lot of character. The flavor sort of reminds me of the water that you pour out of a can of corn, and there is a hint of dish soap, bit it honestly ain't half bad.

M - Big, bad, dirty, and boozy. This is a BIG beer. I can feel the alcohol in my gut and in my head, and I've only imbibed a 12 oz glass from the giant 40oz bottle. Good think I have the day off...this is a heavy hitter. If you want to enjoy beer, then this is not the thing for you, but if you want to catch a buzz for a buck and a half then this is your vehicle to paradise. 40 ounces to freedom!

D - This is head an shoulders above some other malt liquors, and I would take this over

pmcadamis, Nov 13, 2008
2.83/5  rDev +26.9%

well, today i cashed in this months cans and bottles at the big liquor store on the other side of town. i wasnt sure i would get the $6.50 that i wanted so i could buy the local Growler i had my eye on, and i didnt. so i saw this 40 for 1.99 and decided to get it instead. i chose it not only for ecnomics, but because i had always heard that Schlitz was notoriously bad.

it sat in the fridge a few hours until now when i decided to pull it out. (thats what she said!)

The beer itself (seen easily through the clear glass 40 bottle,) seems darker than many other 40s like St ides and Steel reserve, which boast the same 8.2 ABV. the taste isn't as malty as those two either.

it smells pretty gross, though typical for this kind of beverage, i havnt even drank down to the top of the label and im already feeling woozy.

portajon, Sep 10, 2008
1.3/5  rDev -41.7%

I had this on Christmas Day as I had to stay in town for work, and when you're on a tight budget, anything goes.

Appearance was pretty basic: very yellow/dark yellow/pale in color and nothing to behold, but for $1.49 a 32oz, that doesn't matter.

Smell was really old and sour. This is probably the foulest smelling beer I've ever had, but as mentioned before that $1.49 on the bottle doesn't matter.

Taste - wow...this was bitter and carried a strong bite, but in the worst way possible. The only thing this stuff succeeds in is getting drunk at an incredibly rapid rate. In order to do that unfortunately, flavor must be sacrificed. Ugh!

Mouthfeel is nonexistant. It goes down quick, with a heavily bad aftertaste, seriously.

Drinkability is for those who who want to get really messed up with not that much money. Don't even waste time on this stuff.

Getinthevan, Jun 14, 2008
1.23/5  rDev -44.8%

Ok, I saw this at a local liquor store and thought I'd try it. I'm not expecting much...

Woah. It turns out to be worse than I thought it could be. It doesn't look half bad in the glass but whilst hoisting said glass to my nose and mouth, I got a whiff of an atrocious smell of what? Stale corn? Chemically stale corn? Whatever it is, it put me off right from the get go.

Taste? I sure didn't have any when I decided to pick this up. Nasty semi sweet flavour of rotting grain? I kid you not, this absolutely sucks and is most assuredly a drain pour, I really can't imagine a market for it. "nuff said.

Bitterbill, May 03, 2008

These were some of the greatest cans ever! Too bad the beer was horrible.

Pours the flat, urine-y looking color of most malt liquors. The smell and taste were perhaps less putrid than most, though still nothing to write home about. Mostly a rotten corn flavor/aroma permeated.

Avoid.

Overlord, May 03, 2008
Schlitz Bull Ice I.M.L. from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)