Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Pauly2X on 08-13-2008

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

"Classic 1960's Formula" Schlitz Gusto reintroduced in 2008. 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft.

Original Schlitz in 12 oz. cans and draft:
to view more.
Ratings: 451 | Reviews: 251
Reviews by Fatehunter:
2.1/5  rDev -40.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Very light straw color with a short white head that quickly gave way.

Smells lightly of honey and malt. Very faint smell though.

Slight malt, a bit of bitterness. There is an unpleasant flavor in there too but I cannot place it.

Lots of bubbles, kind of annoying. Light body.

I initially bought it for the novelty and to see what the 1960s tasted like. They can keep it. While it does not taste bad, it just does not taste like anything, plus the high carbonation makes it difficult to be a session beer.

3.69/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

My favorite AAL, it beats Bud/Miller/Coors hands down. Light but tasty malt flavor, and unlike its competitors it has a noticeable hop presence. It makes you wonder why they ever changed he recipe in the first place. At a current local price of around 9 bucks/12 pack, it's the best option for someone on a budget. (Note: $9 is probably more than people pay for Schlitz in other areas. Hi-Life and PBR cost the same. For some reason, cheap beer is more expensive in New Orleans while craft beer is priced pretty reasonably.)

Best american domestic I have ever had. Good price. A great choice when you want a regular beer. This is not my favorite style, but this I think is a best in class. Had it in bottles, looking for cans by the case.

4.55/5  rDev +28.2%

You couldn't ask much more out of a beer in this style, and that is why I rated it so highly. I believe it is the best in class. I drink a lot of craft beer, but sometimes I just want a classic lager. Something that my grandfather would have drank. This reminds me of the first sip of beer I ever had. It is head and shoulders above Bud, Miller, and the rest of the competition. This and Yeungling are right at the top for the style.

4.56/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Look: like any other beer of its type except initially it actually has a nice big head but dissipates extremely fast

Smell: at first much better than expected can actually smell some hops

Taste: holy shit it tastes like a beer! Especially the first sips with the head. Hop presence is perceptible! First taste was almost like a pale ale

Feel: like water, you could drink this shit all day

overall: I gave this such a high rating based on a comparison of other beers of its type. At $7 and change for a 12 pack I was expecting this to be a garbage beer. I was shocked at the first taste of this beer. Best adjunct lager I've ever tasted.

4.79/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Quite Simply THE Single Best American Mass Produced Macro Lager There Is...Bar None~smooth,zesty hop spice,easy drinking,wonderful Brew,Full Flavored...Amazing Beer!
I am not going to go on and on about it's merits...however if you can find this awesome Nectar of the Gods...TRY IT! WOW! What a GR8 Brew~best of the American Macro Brews hands down,cheers ;)

3.1/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured a clear, light yellow with no head. Probably not even meant to be drank from a glass... Aroma of pilsner malts, light hops and a champagne note. Light bodied mouthfeel that is sweet with crisp carbonation and subtle hop aftertaste. Just the kiss of the hops as the commercials used to say. Very good drinkability with not much flavor. I wouldn't stock my fridge at home with this, but wouldn't turn it down if offered to me from someone else's.

3.73/5  rDev +5.1%

A - a little darker than most mass produced lagers

S - Pick up a little floral and citrus

T - Smoother, deeper and more complex than you would expect. The hops add a nice unexpected flavor. A nice touch of sweetness at the end.

M - light to medium body

O - It's not a half bad beer! A lot more taste than most of its big competitors (and cheaper).

This beer works on any hot day inwhich you want a cheap decent beer. At $5.99/six pack it's pretty solid.

3.55/5  rDev 0%

My father rarely drank beer, but when he did it was good ole Schlitz, in the era before poptab cans. And, he poured salt in it. No salt goes in with my pour but Schlitz has a clear yellow body with a small white head. Retention is poor and lacing consists of only a few speckles. Aroma is unremarkable, somewhat of an attribute for the style. Toasted grain and a hint of herbal/spicy hops. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp, light bodied and well carbonated. Taste is clean and even. Toasted grain with a mild sweetness that is nicely balanced by a subtle herbal hop bitterness. Some barley and a hint of corn underneath. No offnotes. Simple but well done, this one leaves the other macro lagers in the dust. Very clean and sessionable.

3.76/5  rDev +5.9%

Keep in mind I rate this as a macro. Bell's beer it is not but considering what it is I must say I like it.

Pleasant head thicker than most macros and some lacing. Deeper than normal yellow color.

Nothing stands out in the way of smell but certainly not offensive. Slight malt.

Malt is present in the taste as well as the hops. The hops flavor presents the slightest floral notes. Perhaps a faint bread flavor in there as well.

I don't find this beer to be thin at all. Good carbonation. Not overly dry. Pleasing mouthfeel.

In my opinion the best lawn mower beer I've found to date. No everyday lager from BMC this well made. However at $6.50 a six pack I will probably fall back to PBR. It's not as good but it's good enough and priced right.

3.8/5  rDev +7%

Picked up a six of this because I was very curious about the "1960's" formula. Split the pack with a friend.

Appearance- Pretty standard for an adjunct lager. Usual straw golden like many others that I've encountered with a two finger quick dying white head. Pretty average but nothing really to knock it about.

Smell- Surprised. A touch of hay and mown grass show through. Not a lot of the usual sharp metal and adjunct that I usually encounter in these adjunct lagers. Nothing to write home about, but against its competition, not bad at all.

Taste- Hay, grass, and sweet corn dominate the flavor profile. Not an incredibly huge flavor by any means, but a touch of all three. Most importantly for me, the flavor was NOT dominated by metal, rice, and other adjunct flavors. Surprisingly okay.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Carbonation was a touch aggressive, but not overly out of line for the style. Drinkability was also pretty good for the style given the mild taste and lack of off flavors.

Overall, well worth a shot for an adjunct lager. Very reasonably priced and not overly offensive. Good for BMC drinkers looking for something with a touch of flavor.

2.82/5  rDev -20.6%

Pretty standard fare, straw yellow, but nice clarity. Don't even ask about lace or retention.
Smell, watery corn and alcohol, factory smell, not like a new car either.

Standard american adjunct fare, without the big advertising campaign, so its relatively cheap. Hint of hops. Hint of barley, but mostly corn or rice or something else super light that doesn't impart much flavor. Always highly carbonated. A good palate cleanser.

3.63/5  rDev +2.3%

Bought at a roadside dive bar last night in Noblestown, PA...damn this beer was drinking smooth for a beer that just drinks like a classic. This is the beer that made Milwaukee famous. Pours a sparkling pale light golden color with a bright white head forming thick, actually holds onto the head quite a bit. Fine speckled lacing layers arounds the sides of my glass. Aroma has abright cereal grain sweetness, seems a bit mineral in the middle but overall a nice sweetness meant to be drank by the masses especially during the industrial revolution. This neck label states that this is the classic 1960s formula. Drinks so nicely semie sweet cereal notes goes down smooth it's actually chuggable and likeable and sessionable. Amazing that an old retro beer can come back and actually be drinkable for someone like me who has tried almost 2500 different beers. Happy to see this brew in a dive bar, I actually took a six pack home and cleared them out of their Schlitz supply.

3.2/5  rDev -9.9%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear body with a hue of golden yellow. Large bubbles glide to the surface supporting a soapy white head that has a fizz sound as it dissipates to a thin ring of white.

S- The smell is very clean even as the beer warms with notes of raw grain and dryness coming though. There is no real sharp sulfur note and the sulfur that does come through is very soft and in balance with the raw grain.

T- The flavor of dry club soda with a faint bitter hint is followed by a raw grain watery note and a slight sweetness at the finish. There is a soft field corn note with the exhale after each sip. The flavor is still very soft but smooth.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a dry carbonic bite that cleans up the finish.

D- This beer is very soft and mellow with very little flavor, however there are no off flavors that stand out so it is very easy to drink. I will have to try this one again as a thirst quencher when it gets to 110 degrees next summer.

2.8/5  rDev -21.1%

A - Pale straw color. Good amount of head but it was gone pretty quickly.

S - Smelled like grain. Not a bad smell.

T - Malty, bitter finish.

M - OK except for the aftertaste.

D - Not terrible but I'm just not a big fan of this beer. For the rating it gets, I thought it would be better.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Straw colored beer that is super clear. There is a plain light head that fades to a haze of foam over the surface of the beer and it stays for the duration.

The smell is of cereal malts with a lemony crispness. There is a hint of hops but for the most part it's just a decent beer smell.

Taste is slightly above average. It's clean, it's crisp, it's an American lager. It has the same mediocre flavors as all the others except this one seems to be slightly fresher. There is a malty goodness surrounded by a lemony twang. I imagine all macros taste like this right after they've been brewed but the bottling process and storage/shipping ends up f-ing it all up.

Damn decent beer even if it isn't flashy or big in body or flavors. I like the freshness, it makes me feel like I got my dollars worth and I forget that I am drinking cheap beer. I also love the marketing, with the old school label and the 60's looking posters I really feel like I am drinking a brew that my grandfather might have swigged on. Well done Schlitz, I am a new fan.

3.65/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours fizzy yellow with about an inch of head that settles quickly. Very, very clear, I can pretty much watch tv through the glass. The aroma is much sweeter than some other macro-lagers. Noticably maltier in taste than the lagers I'm used to tasting. Not much hop presence, the taste is overall a little more grainy sweetness than any type of bitterness. A very easy drinker, like any adjunct lager should be. A noticable step up from a lot of cheap lagers, but not really heads and tails better than a yeungling. Worth buying a six pack to watch a football game with.

4.12/5  rDev +16.1%

Wow! A true blast from the past...

Why don't all Macros taste like this...quite sure America would get tons more respect and the dollar would be worth more...

Alas..creamy swilling goodness has been dumbed down...

Thank Goodness for this beer.

I will drink this until they stop making it...I'm sure it costs too much...but wait I paid more gladly! Even if I drink it less..what a concept...

This beer is a lesson to American big brewers! Put away the new el cheapo swill recipes brew us a beer!

Congrats Schlitz! Quality vs Quantity FTW

4.63/5  rDev +30.4%

Pours to a clear golden color with thin white head that will stay as a pool on the top to the brew. Good Carbonation is present.

Smells ike a clean light hops and light malts blend.

You get a solid malts blended with a good hops taste. Very good!

Has a very clean easy drinking finish. Light bodied.

Asfar as American Macro Lagers go this is the best I have had. Very good and delisish. Could drink this all day long.

3.45/5  rDev -2.8%

12 oz can with June 13, 2011 stamped on the bottom. Picked up a 12 pack of these on a lark, because why not? Made the mistake of pulling up their website in an effort to find out more. Loads of ads from the 60's with their catchy jingle still ringing in my ears. I've had plenty of PBR, even liked Schaefer for a while when it was still available here in Atlanta. Nice to see one of the major brewers trying to recapture something they had such a large hand in destroying. So let's see if the hoopla is more than that.

Pale yellow with loads of bubbles. Decent amount of head that evaporated pretty quickly.

Hints of grass and *gasp* some hops on the nose.

Taste was much better than I was expecting. Of course, adjunct flavoring, grass, and malty too. Refreshing for sure.

Finish didn't linger too long, but some afterbite. Not overly unpleasant and not enough to keep me from drinking this in the future.

After doing some yardwork or hosting a party where your beer buddies aren't as cultured, this is a winner. Nice job, Pabst-Miller-whoever is brewing this.

2.94/5  rDev -17.2%

A - Poured out a clear yellow with a rich but fleeting head that retreated to a thin lace.

S - Grains with a slight hint of hops.

T - Cereal grains with some bitterness.

M - Thin body with decent carbonation and a neutral finish.

O - I was looking forward to this and frankly was disappointed. A typical AAL that is priced way too high for what you get. Since I wasn't quite of beer drinking age in the 60s (other than the occasional sip) I have to take their word this was the 60s formula. If so, I have to wonder how Schlitz ever challenged for number one (other than the fact their competition was another non-descript AAL).

3.79/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours to a notably non-fizzy straw-golden with a fluffy white head that shows both retention and lacework. This is what macros look like in commercials and rarely do in real life.
The nose fails to disclose much of anything. Faint cereal grains, corn being one. Dry lemonpepper hops are secondary.
Again with the lightly sweet cereal notes in the mouth. Corn is here, with a suggestion of powdered sugar. Frosted Flakes, maybe? It's not that sweet, though. Some soup crackery pils malt notes shine through. Hops add a dry, unforceful, peppery, grassy bitterness.
Light bodied, but not over-gaseous. Carbonation is steady, but tame and well-mannered.
The hype and hoopla surrounding the '60 formula isn't all smoke and mirrors.
I'd take this over any of its macro peers in a heartbeat. It makes me want to stay up all night, play poker and smoke cheap cigars, and I think that's exactly the point.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

a: pours a clear bright golden color.. head perfectly reached the rim of my ABA pint glass.. fizzles down to a thin film.. pretty much what your standard lager should look like..

s: slightly sweet.. cereal grain, corn.. maybe a slight earthiness to it.. nothing off putting.

t: upfront its slightly sweet.. graininess with some mild corn flavors.. finish actually has a small hoppiness to it.. nothing too big, just a mild earthy, almost leafy hop flavor..also maybe a mild toasty malt flavor.. clean finish that begs for another sip..

mf: light, crisp, clean, & refreshing..

o: first time having this one.. its actually quite nice.. far better than any AAL i've had.. having this while i bbq outside & it pairs perfect! this will make more appearances in my fridge.

3.13/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can, date of 6/13/11 on the bottom of the can, nonic.

Light, shining golden yellow with perfect clarity. The head is a glossy white foamy affair with decent retention for the style, meaning from inches and inches there is now half an inch. It does look like it will hold on about there and possibly leave some dollops on the glass. Never mind, no lacing.

Grassy, almost skunked hops, corn and light malt sweetness, and grain husk typify the style, and I don't find if far off of PBR at all.

Happily the corniness disappears for the most part, but is replaced by a more rice-like sweetness. There is still a grassy and slightly herbal hop presence and a bit of grain. A little more bitterness would make it more crisp.

It seems a little less carbonated than it's peers and I am unsure whether this is good or bad. It slightly detracts from the crisp, refreshing quotient while making it less stomach bursting if you have more than one and allowing the flavors to land more heavily. That last one may be where I'm not sure that less carb is better.

I'm not crazy about the beer. While a more flavorful (mostly in a good way) AAL than most, it is not much of an improvement. It costs more than PBR and I'll stick with that for situations conducive to this kind of beer.

3.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Since my friends and I are already obsessed with Schlitz, because all of the greatest actors seem to drink it in movies, when I heard that it would be brewed with the original recipe I was automatically excited for the classic Schlitz.

Schlitz Gusto, the TRUE beer that made Milwaukee famous, pours a clear yellow-golden and forms a foamy-bubbly white head. Not much to look at but when it's a 100 degree Texas summer she sure looks tasty.

It smells a bit grainy, with some corn in there as well. Slightly sweet but mostly grainy. There's a sort of...in the words of Andrew Zimmern, "tinny," smell in there too. Not that that's bizarre (if you don't get that reference then watch his show, damnit!).

Unlike most adjunct lagers, the classic Schlitz actually has some decent flavor and doesn't taste like malty/grainy water. It has a sort of cracker-like or biscuity flavor and some sweetness, probably from the corn. Hops don't really stand out here but they are there and add a tad of bitterness. The malt flavors are stronger in the finish.

Mouthfeel is very light. Gusto is very drinkable and not watery at all. Carbonation is just right, adding some bite.

Of all the adjunct lagers out there, this is the one of the best you'll find. It's not complex and doesn't have too much flavor but it's a cheap(er) lager that you won't regret trying. And for the beer god's sake it's the original freaking Schlitz! So, pay the extra couple or few dollars for that 12 pack and get a lager that you actually won't regret drinking.

WE BUILT SCHLITZ CITY!!!

to view more.
Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)