2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

"Classic 1960's Formula" Schlitz Gusto reintroduced in 2008. 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft.

Original Schlitz in 12 oz. cans and draft:

(Beer added by: Pauly2X on 08-13-2008)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 379 | Reviews: 235 | Show All Ratings:
schlitzophrenia

South Carolina

Been waiting to try this for 3 years in South Carolina and it finally arrived today at the local Piggly Wiggly. The store carried canned Schlitz for years and today started carrying the "Classic 60's Formula" in 12 pack can version. Here goes the review:

Appearance-dark golden with a head that disappeared quickly. Nice, bubbly carbonation throughout the beer.

Smell-One of the freshest beers I have ever smelled-clean malt, honey, and bread

Taste-This is VERY similar to Schlitz in a can, but there is a difference. Gone are the sour,metallic, vegetable-like flavors that would form the aftertaste of the beer. In its place are corn, very light hop, bread, spice, and honey. The finish is clean and full.

Mouthfeel-Soda-like and VERY clean. In fact, this is the cleanest AAL on the market.

Overall-I am going to give it a 5. For years I have drank the standard AAL's (High Life, PBR, etc) and this is the best one so far. I will take this over craft beers and IPA's any day. Hopefully this will be a permanent staple in grocery stores and convenience stores from here on because this is real beer.

04-01-2011 17:16:24 | More by schlitzophrenia
browndog1

Drank gallons of this before the great Frank Sellinger "Improvement" of the late 1970's which rightfully put the company out of business. The new reformulated brew tastes just like the Schlitz of old. Was the best mass produced beer then and still is with this formula. Just make sure you get the new reformulated stuff and not the bargain basement stuff usually found in the 12 oz cans at the Quickie Marts. Better than Bud, better than Coors and better than Miller. Cannot top the microbrews but it never was intended to compete with this market. Hope they keep producing this.

03-03-2013 20:56:40 | More by browndog1
bbluemzbeer

King of BEER take WAY FROM bUD call it SHLITZ . iT TASTE LIKE A germany beer. I bought a six pack of tall ball for little over six pack. Best american lager out there!

Appearance- Nice,carbonation on this beer.

Smell- iT IS THE MOST refreshing beer out there.

Taste- A corn, very light hop, bread, spice, and honey. It is very well balance which makes it a great beer. The finish is ver clean and full. Can drank it all day long!

Mouthfeel-It is very clean. The mouthful is best!

Overall-This is is 5. I have drank the standard american lagers Bud , (High Life, PBR, Red Stripe) and this is the best of t hem all . I will take this over any craft beers s any day.This will s a true staple beer. .

05-24-2013 05:19:47 | More by bbluemzbeer
Hellas4400

Maryland

4.75/5  rDev +32.7%

Had this beer for the first time the other day and was extremely pleased with the taste & drinkabilty. I had heard that the old formula was being used. I highly recommend this beer for it's value, taste & nostalgic appeal. Those that have their doubts must try this beer. It's nothing like the old Schlitz. Cheers

06-26-2010 19:22:12 | More by Hellas4400
adjunctjonez

Maine

4.69/5  rDev +31%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Schlitz 60s recipe is hands down the best AAL available. I buy it often as it is one of my favorite all time beers. The appearance is rich golden hue and the head actually laces/clumps. The smell is grainy, yeasty and hoppy. The taste is malt forward with the adjunct adding prickly crispness while the noticeable hops finishes very cleanly. Mouthfeel is very smooth and the beer is highly drinkable @ 4.7abv. I believe this to be one of the best beers available anywhere esp relative to pricing.

04-02-2012 14:53:27 | More by adjunctjonez
LordofTime25

Iowa

4.68/5  rDev +30.7%

Pours to a clear golden color with thin white head that will stay as a pool on the top to the brew. Good Carbonation is present.

Smells ike a clean light hops and light malts blend.

You get a solid malts blended with a good hops taste. Very good!

Has a very clean easy drinking finish. Light bodied.

Asfar as American Macro Lagers go this is the best I have had. Very good and delisish. Could drink this all day long.

11-18-2008 17:56:47 | More by LordofTime25
mynie

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +29.9%

Original formula is stormin' the Cedar Valley, for some reason. They got huge POP in all the bars, even the nice ones. Big display at the Hy-Vee Wine and Spirits, and since I was in the mood for something light so I figured whatever.

Pours High-Life decent. Pale straw color, but the head is really nice and white and surprisingly retentive.

Smells a good sight better than the Schlitz I remember from my youth. I grew up in the 90s, mind. Light straw, hints of grain and hay, and believe it or not there's actually a little kiss o' hop in there. (There, I said it.) Granted, it's faint. Every thing's faint. But nothing is offputting, no adjunct metal or skunkiness or nothing.

Tastes grainy and mealy, like cereal. Decent dose of hops in there, too. Light malt sweetness dominates, bitter hops finish that's actually present, you don't have to squint to see it, it might not be as strong as a straight-up pils but it's still there. It finishes with a grain and yeast aftertaste that's similar to Bud Heavy but without the unpleasant bittersweetness. It--it's pretty amazing, absolutely perfect for what it is but also absolutely perfect by any other standard. The flavor is so astounding, so busy yet balanced, full yet crisp, that I can understand how this style became the norm.

Surprisingly good, easily the best macro-style lager I've ever had. I'd take this over BMC any day, and it even eclipses High Life and Grain Belt.

11-12-2008 02:25:26 | More by mynie
alabencki

4.65/5  rDev +29.9%

This beer really surprised me. I was not expecting such a great taste and drinkability from an American Adjunct Lager. For what it is, being an adjunct lager, it is incredibly good. It has a smooth taste, a slight crispness from the carbonation, but not a lot. It doesn't have that "watered down" "weak taste" that so many American Adjunct Lagers have. All in all, it's worth the money. It is a very good beer in my opinion.

04-19-2010 06:20:41 | More by alabencki
TIP

Wisconsin

4.6/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

My son just bought me a 12 pack of the old 60's formula Schlitz. I drank Schlitz back then as a kid and in the army and its every bit as good now as then. At one time Schlitz was the best selling brand in the U.S. next to Bud. Great taste for a non dark beer.

11-09-2008 04:24:42 | More by TIP
pb9613

4.6/5  rDev +28.5%

Appearance - It was a pleasant gold color with a decent white head that lingered longer than most mass market American beers

Smell - A clean pleasant smell with a "Kiss of the Hops"

Taste - This is the taste I remember when I stole a sip from my dad's beer bottle as a youngster. This is what started me on the road to be a beer lover.

Mouthfeel - There is just enough carbonation to let the malt flavors and hops hit all the right taste buds.

Drinkability - This is not your standard mass market American beer that can be sloshed down like a student at MTU.

This beer is all about nostalgia. It is the taste I remember as a kid and love it today.

09-20-2009 00:47:28 | More by pb9613
cs1992

4.59/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer: Schlitz (Gusto)
Purchased: Farmers Foods in Richmond VA

I have great memories of my grandfather drinking this beer (among other greats from the 60s like Schaefer, PBR & Piels) and after tasting it, I understand why it was once so popular. I have drunk my fair share of macros and this is honestly my favorite. Whoever formulated this beer deserves a medal. In fact, I find it so tasteful that I am not even going to break it down by category such as appearance, aroma, etc. If you ever taste this beer, its genuine goodness speaks for itself.

What I will comment on is the complete disrespect that so many macro makers in the industry must have for this class of beers. If Joseph Schlitz could figure out how to produce a tasty, high quality beer, then BMC have no excuse for some of the lower quality products they offer. Coors Banquet, an exception IMHO, is good, but Schlitz (Gusto) is great.

The owners of Pabst have no idea what a gem they have on their hands with this beer.

01-04-2014 21:56:18 | More by cs1992
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

4.55/5  rDev +27.1%

GLASS: Pilsener Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees, then freezer cooled for about 15 minutes
BEST BY DATE: JUL2610
Thanks to ElJoebo, who brought me this one.

Pours up a pale yellow color, like straw or hay. It forms a two-finger plus head of loose, frothy, white foam. The retention is pretty good, leaving a solid surface covering layer of foam that's about 1/16th of an inch thick.Lacing is in spots and thin strands and is mildly sticky.

This smells like dry cornmeal, soda water and hops. There is also a mild corn sweetness here. Mild hints of grains. More than mild floral presence.
Smells better than the bulk of it's contemporaries.

This has a very mild malt presence. Not roasted or anything, just malty. A good level of graininess. Nice grassy notes. A nice balance between corn sweetness and hop spiciness. Despite the malt and sweetness presence, this one is more to the dry side of things, overall.
It's actually fairly well balanced and I don't really mind the taste of this one so much.

It's medium-bodied and has a medium-to-almost-high level of carbonation. This is pretty dead-on for the style. Very crisp, clean, and refreshing in it's feel. Not sharp, just crisp.

Drinkability is absolute. Will I search this out and consume mass quantities of it? No. Can I understand how someone else might? Yes. This is so smooth and easy-to-drink. There is nothing here to challenge your palate, but there is just enough to keep it entertained.
I can't imagine that any other American Adjunct Lager will ever score higher than this one for me, but there is a small amount of space for one to try.
I'm glad that I tried this.

05-13-2010 01:53:32 | More by coldmeat23
Terrapin777

4.55/5  rDev +27.1%

I really miss Schlitz. Not anymore!

I drank this beer back in the 60s & 70s (before they started putting that enzyme in it & ruined it). This was the best American adjunct lager made.

The first thing that I notice is the hops. Schlitz has more of a hops flavor than any other American lager that I've tried. The second is a clean taste with no after-taste.

Will I pass up a New Glarus, Tyrania or Two Brothers beer for Schlitz? Not unless I'm short on cash. But I think that Schlitz is the best American adjunct lager out there today. It even beats out Leinenkugel traditional by half a star.

08-13-2010 00:55:55 | More by Terrapin777
Strix

Wisconsin

4.53/5  rDev +26.5%

Clear straw color, head that eventually dissipates to nothing.

Grainy smell, notes of cheerios, corn, and a hint of hops.

Grain, water, ginger ale, and a subtle floral hop note. Not bad at all. In fact, if we're reviewing within style, it's stupendous. Palatable even when warm, imagine that.

Medium mouthfeel, not much carbonation.

Macros are always hard to review, compared to the more flavorful brews I generally drink. For the style, this is quite nice. It has just enough flavor to keep it interesting, and none of the off-flavors often found in the style. I probably won't sit and ponder the flavors of this again, but I'll be back to it when choices are limited.

05-25-2009 18:12:59 | More by Strix
Dodt

4.47/5  rDev +24.9%

on my last 6 pack run couldn't find the beer i wanted , this caught my eye decide to give it a whirl.
appearance golden color
smell grainy but enjoyable
taste bit of malty and i was surprised with the hop presents.
a quiet enjoyable beer it is a shame this isn't the top seller in the country.

06-22-2011 03:34:40 | More by Dodt
Brac13

Alabama

4.45/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz can into standard pint glass.

A: typical macro lager plus one shade darker. Fluffy white head clears quickly. Hefty chugs leave nice looking lacing.

S: there's not a lot going on here, but what is happening is pleasant. Floral-soapy hops are present. Almost reminds me of a Czech pils.

T: on par with smell. Floral hops and dry. Very refreshing, makes you want to take another sip soon after the last.

M: thin but crazy refreshing. Carbonation is just right for the style . This one could be drunk all day while watching football or whatever your sport of preference may be.

O: the best aal I've ever had. BMC should be keeping an eye on this one. I could see this coming back and staking a claim in the aal landscape. Blows the other aal's I've tried out of the water. No pun intended...

12-01-2011 08:41:42 | More by Brac13
jjanega08

4.43/5  rDev +23.7%

A= pours a fizzy yellow color which I totally expect from the style and a pretty nice two finger head on it that is a perfect white color holding pretty good retention and some pretty good lacing. Impressive.

S= It actually has a smell to it which is better than most adjunct lagers. It has distinct adjunct smell but it also has a little hops and a little poop to the smell. Pretty decent overall. The poop and the sweet corn malt fit well together.

T= You kidding me this is the best AAL in the world. Truely blows the competition out of the water. Living in MN I'm lucky enough have most of the top AAL in my home state including the wonderful Grain Belt. This beer however takes it up just a tiny notch. A little more hop flavor and a little more sweetness to it. Really a nice AAL taste to it.

M= Perfectly light and fizzy.

D= While most people hate this style I enjoy this beer. I've had it out of the bottle and now the can. Lovely beer for what it is. Worth trying at least once for every beer lover.

06-15-2010 02:01:19 | More by jjanega08
Clydesdale

District of Columbia

4.4/5  rDev +22.9%

A: Pours a bright, clear golden color with active, effervescent carbonation. The moderately tall white head is somewhat dense, with a foamy, lightly fluffy texture. Retention is sturdy but not outstanding, and a little lacing sticks to the glass.

S: Bright, grainy maltiness - some sweetness. Faintly lemony, and more noticeably herbal/floral hop aromas contribute to a clean, fresh overall nose. A faint corn note.

T: A solid, straightforward grainy maltiness. Lightly sweet and somewhat crackery. Some modest notes of sweet corn, but this is pretty light on adjunct flavor. A bit of actual herbal and floral hop flavor, contributing a solid, focused bitterness.

M: Medium body. Carbonation is well done - lively and tingly but not at all club soda-esque. Refreshing and crisp, with a pleasantly dry finish.

D: A winner from Schlitz - a highly drinkable, tasty American macro. It drinks like a more refined, more robust, and cleaner version of regular Schlitz (which isn't half bad itself). The mouthfeel in particular is excellent for the style, and this is surprisingly polished. Who knows if this is what it actually tasted like in the 60s - this is a very good American lager right now.

07-27-2010 01:23:28 | More by Clydesdale
Windigstadt

4.38/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a brilliantly clear pale straw color. A soapy white head quickly dissipates.

S: A nice malt aroma; sweet and bready without any hint of DMS or adjuncts; also none of that astringent, cat-piss-like aroma you get from a lot of macro lagers.

T: A little herbal, slightly hay-like hop flavor up front that quickly gives way to malt sweetness. Very clean and smooth in the middle; a nice malt flavor, not heavy but without any hint of rice or corn. Sweetness gives way to just enough hop bitterness to keep this from being cloying. Finish is medium dry with a slight astringency, but leaving you ready for more.

M: Thin and fizzy; on par for a macro lager.

D: More flavorful than your Bud/Miller/Coors, but not heavy by any means. Definitely quaffable.

Overall: It's really hard to find any faults with this beer. While it's thinner and lighter than, say, a true Munich Helles, it shares many of the same qualities--just scaled down. Overall, however, I'd have to say this is exceptional for its style. Whereas I generally consider the best macro lagers to simply be the least offensive, this is affirmatively good. I would take this hands down over the typical macro swill available at your corner tavern. I really, REALLY hope they start carrying this at my local bowling alley.

02-24-2009 02:32:32 | More by Windigstadt
steveclarkus

South Carolina

4.38/5  rDev +22.3%

I've waited three years to try this beer and it has finally come to my region. It was worth the wait. I was at a micro brew beer fest recently and found IPA's to the the current fad and it seemed they were all having a hops contest. After tasting many, I was getting bittered out and dying of thirst but the only thirst quenching beer there was Chechvar (as Budweis is marked in America). I was dying for a drinkable American beer. I was talking with a local distributor wearing a Schlitz t-shirt and found Schlitz had finally arrived.

I am reviewing this beer relative to its American peers.

The AAB I've been drinking lately is Yuengling, PBR was the beer of my youth but it seems to have changed for the worse.

I went out and bought a six pk of bottles and a twelve pk of Schlitz and I do believe I've found my "go to" American beer. My opinion is that it is not all the good characteristics of Schlitz but the absence of bad ones. I haven't noticed a difference between bottle and can.

This is a near perfect example of the traditional American beer at its best. It's not the Schmitz of Philadelphia of my youth but it is close enough.

03-29-2011 20:58:12 | More by steveclarkus
hncowden50

4.35/5  rDev +21.5%

Schlitz was the first beer I ever drank....a kid sneaking it out if Dad's cooler after he comes home from fishing in the early 70's. Also they used to Brew it close to home...Winston-Salem...I believe that's where they ruined the formula and made it cheaper...not long after that first beer of mine. Anyway, I would still buy it from time to time until it disappeared a few years back.

In the fall of 2010 I came across it in Memphis Tn, in cans. Immediately bought a 12 pack, trying to rekindle something from my teenage years. It worked. When we left Memphis, I took a couple of cases home. None of my friends were impressed. Schlitz was something their fathers/grandfathers drank, the butt of jokes.

Anyway, saw it in bottles here in NC just a few days back...heard it was coming. Immediately bought a case and iced it down in a cooler on the deck...went back to the summer of '75....

Honestly it is what it is...a good beer for drinking watching the ballgame or while grilling some burgers. Certainly a lot of more spectacular beers out there but I'm glad to see it back and I hope it stays!

I have a vintage Schlitz pilsner glass from the 50's a good friend and mentor gave me a few years back. I used that for my review.

Appearance...good golden color, poured with a nice head, lasted longer than I thought. Smell wad kind of bready...toast like ...better than store brand white bread ...more Roman Meal....taste was good...better than the average AAL for sure! Gives a little bite of carbonation...leaves a taste on the back of the tongue ...again takes me back to my youth. Mouthfeel, good and clean, drinks smooth. Like someone else described, without the bloat of the average AAL.

Overall, pretty good...an old friend returns.

11-15-2011 03:51:46 | More by hncowden50
buh

4.35/5  rDev +21.5%

A- poured from can to pilsner glass - poured fast to produce a good 2" head. Bright golden color, lots of bubbles. Lots of lacing left behind as the beer warms in your glass.

S- Rich bread aroma and slightly sweet. Malt.

T- Slightly sweet - touch of malt. Not bitter.

M- soft and creamy, doesn't sting

O- $3.99 in NY - date on bottom of can was 3 months out (fresh)

Tip: pour fast, build up a good 2-3 inch head and let it settle an inch before enjoying. Vent some of the carbonation - that's how these were made to be enjoyed.

Better at 45F rather than right from a 37F fridge.

05-20-2012 23:47:03 | More by buh
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.28/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

"Go for the Gusto. Your Schlitz is back."

--Jos. Schlitz Brewing Company

Sun-splashed goldenrod with scads of sparkly carbonation leading up to an attractive cap of eggshell colored frothiness. I wonder if the head looks vastly superior to the heads on most American pale lagers because there are fewer (or no) adjuncts. A short sudsy collar of lace appears as the foam begins to recede.

The nose harbors no surprises, other than a lack of nastiness. The beer smells like cereal grains and musky hops, which is pretty much par for the style course. The brewery claims that this version has 'a more full-bodied taste' and 'more hop flavor'. Let's see if it actually does.

I'll be damned. Schlitz Gusto is the best beer of this style that I've ever had the pleasure to drink. And it isn't even close. Most of the present day recipes taste like diluted pond water compared to this stuff. It tastes and feels like there's at least 50% more barley in here. I'm sure the cost of ingredients is most of the reason why the brewery dumbed down Schlitz in the 1970s.

Gusto is both sweeter (maltier) and slightly more bitter (hoppier) than any pale lager you'd care to name. If it had been a part of a MacroSmackdown, it would have blown the doors off the competition after the first mouthful. Untoasted grain is perfectly complemented by musky, almost grassy, hops. Simple never tasted so good.

I once gave a craft beer to a friend who described the mouthfeel as 'way too thick'. She would have thought the same about this mouthfeel. As a member of the 'bigger is almost always better' school, I think it's tremendous. If fact, this might be the best mouthfeel on any sub-5.0% lager ever. No joke.

I have always wondered what the iconic American brands tasted and drank like back in the day. If Schlitz was as good then as Schlitz Gusto is now, then it's even more disappointing how far the asshats at A-B, Miller and Coors have taken us down the road of, not even mediocrity, but godforsaken swillery. *This* is what an American pale lager should taste like.

08-14-2009 12:15:21 | More by BuckeyeNation
GIVEMEBACKMYSON

Alaska

4.28/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured this one with a pale golden color. It tried for a head but it quickly gave way to a straight liquid top.
Aroma of tall grass up front, along with sweet corn husks and Cold Duck.
Taste shows the fruition of that grassiness in the aroma, and to a much lesser degree the corn. What really gets me is the hop bite of some good noble hops. It makes it just interesting enough while remaining in its purpose as a thirst quencher.
The carbonation is alive and well, almost jaggedly so. Ah but it makes this beer such a zinger refresher with all that CO2 that I wouldn't trade it. Slightly slippery even with the carbonation that was laying in the weeds.
I'm pretty impressed, I gotta admit. This Schlitz, it's mindlessly downable, but with character and pizazz. This to me is more of a pilsner than some beers that call themselves pilsner.

06-15-2010 23:19:35 | More by GIVEMEBACKMYSON
thegodfather2701

4.25/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Gold color, slightly darker than the typical straw color associated with the style. There is a two finger, thick, billowy, white head that dissipates somewhat quickly.

S-Faint nose and typical of the style. It consists of grains, mustiness, and sweet malts. However, it is not as musty as others of the style.

T-Crisp and clean. While the malts dominate there are some actual grassy hops present. Most hops I've noticed for the style and the best tasting of the style as well.

M-Thick for the style with not much carbonation, very nice.

D-I could drink this regularly. It is the best of the style I've encountered.

Overall, my go to American Adjunct Lager. I had been waiting for this to come to NC and it didn't disappoint.

07-04-2011 17:35:04 | More by thegodfather2701
Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)