Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

"Classic 1960's Formula" Schlitz Gusto reintroduced in 2008. 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft.

Original Schlitz in 12 oz. cans and draft:

(Beer added by: Pauly2X on 08-13-2008)
bbluemzbeer

King of BEER take WAY FROM bUD call it SHLITZ . iT TASTE LIKE A germany beer. I bought a six pack of tall ball for little over six pack. Best american lager out there!

Appearance- Nice,carbonation on this beer.

Smell- iT IS THE MOST refreshing beer out there.

Taste- A corn, very light hop, bread, spice, and honey. It is very well balance which makes it a great beer. The finish is ver clean and full. Can drank it all day long!

Mouthfeel-It is very clean. The mouthful is best!

Overall-This is is 5. I have drank the standard american lagers Bud , (High Life, PBR, Red Stripe) and this is the best of t hem all . I will take this over any craft beers s any day.This will s a true staple beer. .

05-24-2013 05:19:47 | More by bbluemzbeer
workingclassbrew

08-10-2013 07:18:08 | More by workingclassbrew
browndog1

Drank gallons of this before the great Frank Sellinger "Improvement" of the late 1970's which rightfully put the company out of business. The new reformulated brew tastes just like the Schlitz of old. Was the best mass produced beer then and still is with this formula. Just make sure you get the new reformulated stuff and not the bargain basement stuff usually found in the 12 oz cans at the Quickie Marts. Better than Bud, better than Coors and better than Miller. Cannot top the microbrews but it never was intended to compete with this market. Hope they keep producing this.

03-03-2013 20:56:40 | More by browndog1

Nevada

05-31-2013 01:40:49 | More by schlitzman2110
schlitzophrenia

South Carolina

Been waiting to try this for 3 years in South Carolina and it finally arrived today at the local Piggly Wiggly. The store carried canned Schlitz for years and today started carrying the "Classic 60's Formula" in 12 pack can version. Here goes the review:

Appearance-dark golden with a head that disappeared quickly. Nice, bubbly carbonation throughout the beer.

Smell-One of the freshest beers I have ever smelled-clean malt, honey, and bread

Taste-This is VERY similar to Schlitz in a can, but there is a difference. Gone are the sour,metallic, vegetable-like flavors that would form the aftertaste of the beer. In its place are corn, very light hop, bread, spice, and honey. The finish is clean and full.

Mouthfeel-Soda-like and VERY clean. In fact, this is the cleanest AAL on the market.

Overall-I am going to give it a 5. For years I have drank the standard AAL's (High Life, PBR, etc) and this is the best one so far. I will take this over craft beers and IPA's any day. Hopefully this will be a permanent staple in grocery stores and convenience stores from here on because this is real beer.

04-01-2011 17:16:24 | More by schlitzophrenia
Beerwolf666

Maryland

4.79/5  rDev +34.9%

Quite Simply THE Single Best American Mass Produced Macro Lager There Is...Bar None~smooth,zesty hop spice,easy drinking,wonderful Brew,Full Flavored...Amazing Beer!
I am not going to go on and on about it's merits...however if you can find this awesome Nectar of the Gods...TRY IT! WOW! What a GR8 Brew~best of the American Macro Brews hands down,cheers ;)

06-13-2014 23:38:29 | More by Beerwolf666
ordybill

Georgia

07-27-2014 22:16:38 | More by ordybill
Hellas4400

Maryland

4.75/5  rDev +33.8%

Had this beer for the first time the other day and was extremely pleased with the taste & drinkabilty. I had heard that the old formula was being used. I highly recommend this beer for it's value, taste & nostalgic appeal. Those that have their doubts must try this beer. It's nothing like the old Schlitz. Cheers

06-26-2010 19:22:12 | More by Hellas4400
Mister_Falcon

04-30-2013 01:47:09 | More by Mister_Falcon
adjunctjonez

Maine

4.69/5  rDev +32.1%

Schlitz 60s recipe is hands down the best AAL available. I buy it often as it is one of my favorite all time beers. The appearance is rich golden hue and the head actually laces/clumps. The smell is grainy, yeasty and hoppy. The taste is malt forward with the adjunct adding prickly crispness while the noticeable hops finishes very cleanly. Mouthfeel is very smooth and the beer is highly drinkable @ 4.7abv. I believe this to be one of the best beers available anywhere esp relative to pricing.

04-02-2012 14:53:27 | More by adjunctjonez
LordofTime25

Iowa

4.68/5  rDev +31.8%

Pours to a clear golden color with thin white head that will stay as a pool on the top to the brew. Good Carbonation is present.

Smells ike a clean light hops and light malts blend.

You get a solid malts blended with a good hops taste. Very good!

Has a very clean easy drinking finish. Light bodied.

Asfar as American Macro Lagers go this is the best I have had. Very good and delisish. Could drink this all day long.

11-18-2008 17:56:47 | More by LordofTime25
alabencki

4.65/5  rDev +31%

This beer really surprised me. I was not expecting such a great taste and drinkability from an American Adjunct Lager. For what it is, being an adjunct lager, it is incredibly good. It has a smooth taste, a slight crispness from the carbonation, but not a lot. It doesn't have that "watered down" "weak taste" that so many American Adjunct Lagers have. All in all, it's worth the money. It is a very good beer in my opinion.

04-19-2010 06:20:41 | More by alabencki
mynie

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +31%

Original formula is stormin' the Cedar Valley, for some reason. They got huge POP in all the bars, even the nice ones. Big display at the Hy-Vee Wine and Spirits, and since I was in the mood for something light so I figured whatever.

Pours High-Life decent. Pale straw color, but the head is really nice and white and surprisingly retentive.

Smells a good sight better than the Schlitz I remember from my youth. I grew up in the 90s, mind. Light straw, hints of grain and hay, and believe it or not there's actually a little kiss o' hop in there. (There, I said it.) Granted, it's faint. Every thing's faint. But nothing is offputting, no adjunct metal or skunkiness or nothing.

Tastes grainy and mealy, like cereal. Decent dose of hops in there, too. Light malt sweetness dominates, bitter hops finish that's actually present, you don't have to squint to see it, it might not be as strong as a straight-up pils but it's still there. It finishes with a grain and yeast aftertaste that's similar to Bud Heavy but without the unpleasant bittersweetness. It--it's pretty amazing, absolutely perfect for what it is but also absolutely perfect by any other standard. The flavor is so astounding, so busy yet balanced, full yet crisp, that I can understand how this style became the norm.

Surprisingly good, easily the best macro-style lager I've ever had. I'd take this over BMC any day, and it even eclipses High Life and Grain Belt.

11-12-2008 02:25:26 | More by mynie
pb9613

4.6/5  rDev +29.6%

Appearance - It was a pleasant gold color with a decent white head that lingered longer than most mass market American beers

Smell - A clean pleasant smell with a "Kiss of the Hops"

Taste - This is the taste I remember when I stole a sip from my dad's beer bottle as a youngster. This is what started me on the road to be a beer lover.

Mouthfeel - There is just enough carbonation to let the malt flavors and hops hit all the right taste buds.

Drinkability - This is not your standard mass market American beer that can be sloshed down like a student at MTU.

This beer is all about nostalgia. It is the taste I remember as a kid and love it today.

09-20-2009 00:47:28 | More by pb9613
TIP

4.6/5  rDev +29.6%

My son just bought me a 12 pack of the old 60's formula Schlitz. I drank Schlitz back then as a kid and in the army and its every bit as good now as then. At one time Schlitz was the best selling brand in the U.S. next to Bud. Great taste for a non dark beer.

11-09-2008 04:24:42 | More by TIP
cs1992

4.59/5  rDev +29.3%

Beer: Schlitz (Gusto)
Purchased: Farmers Foods in Richmond VA

I have great memories of my grandfather drinking this beer (among other greats from the 60s like Schaefer, PBR & Piels) and after tasting it, I understand why it was once so popular. I have drunk my fair share of macros and this is honestly my favorite. Whoever formulated this beer deserves a medal. In fact, I find it so tasteful that I am not even going to break it down by category such as appearance, aroma, etc. If you ever taste this beer, its genuine goodness speaks for itself.

What I will comment on is the complete disrespect that so many macro makers in the industry must have for this class of beers. If Joseph Schlitz could figure out how to produce a tasty, high quality beer, then BMC have no excuse for some of the lower quality products they offer. Coors Banquet, an exception IMHO, is good, but Schlitz (Gusto) is great.

The owners of Pabst have no idea what a gem they have on their hands with this beer.

01-04-2014 21:56:18 | More by cs1992
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

4.55/5  rDev +28.2%

GLASS: Pilsener Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees, then freezer cooled for about 15 minutes
BEST BY DATE: JUL2610
Thanks to ElJoebo, who brought me this one.

Pours up a pale yellow color, like straw or hay. It forms a two-finger plus head of loose, frothy, white foam. The retention is pretty good, leaving a solid surface covering layer of foam that's about 1/16th of an inch thick.Lacing is in spots and thin strands and is mildly sticky.

This smells like dry cornmeal, soda water and hops. There is also a mild corn sweetness here. Mild hints of grains. More than mild floral presence.
Smells better than the bulk of it's contemporaries.

This has a very mild malt presence. Not roasted or anything, just malty. A good level of graininess. Nice grassy notes. A nice balance between corn sweetness and hop spiciness. Despite the malt and sweetness presence, this one is more to the dry side of things, overall.
It's actually fairly well balanced and I don't really mind the taste of this one so much.

It's medium-bodied and has a medium-to-almost-high level of carbonation. This is pretty dead-on for the style. Very crisp, clean, and refreshing in it's feel. Not sharp, just crisp.

Drinkability is absolute. Will I search this out and consume mass quantities of it? No. Can I understand how someone else might? Yes. This is so smooth and easy-to-drink. There is nothing here to challenge your palate, but there is just enough to keep it entertained.
I can't imagine that any other American Adjunct Lager will ever score higher than this one for me, but there is a small amount of space for one to try.
I'm glad that I tried this.

05-13-2010 01:53:32 | More by coldmeat23
Terrapin777

4.55/5  rDev +28.2%

I really miss Schlitz. Not anymore!

I drank this beer back in the 60s & 70s (before they started putting that enzyme in it & ruined it). This was the best American adjunct lager made.

The first thing that I notice is the hops. Schlitz has more of a hops flavor than any other American lager that I've tried. The second is a clean taste with no after-taste.

Will I pass up a New Glarus, Tyrania or Two Brothers beer for Schlitz? Not unless I'm short on cash. But I think that Schlitz is the best American adjunct lager out there today. It even beats out Leinenkugel traditional by half a star.

08-13-2010 00:55:55 | More by Terrapin777
Strix

4.53/5  rDev +27.6%

Clear straw color, head that eventually dissipates to nothing.

Grainy smell, notes of cheerios, corn, and a hint of hops.

Grain, water, ginger ale, and a subtle floral hop note. Not bad at all. In fact, if we're reviewing within style, it's stupendous. Palatable even when warm, imagine that.

Medium mouthfeel, not much carbonation.

Macros are always hard to review, compared to the more flavorful brews I generally drink. For the style, this is quite nice. It has just enough flavor to keep it interesting, and none of the off-flavors often found in the style. I probably won't sit and ponder the flavors of this again, but I'll be back to it when choices are limited.

05-25-2009 18:12:59 | More by Strix

Tennessee

02-13-2013 17:50:19 | More by grahamboudreaux
Wally1912

11-19-2011 18:49:08 | More by Wally1912
Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)