Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Pauly2X on 08-13-2008

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

"Classic 1960's Formula" Schlitz Gusto reintroduced in 2008. 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft.

Original Schlitz in 12 oz. cans and draft:
3.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I had to call in a favor to get the old time formula - sold in bottles, not cans - in time for the fourth. I was actually shocked by the quality of this beer - not that it was that high quality - just much higher than I expected. I reviewed this side by side with my favorite picnic beer - Pabst in tall boys.

Appearance - fairly deep gold a tad hazy. Head was impressive as left lace through the drinking. Carbonation noticably rising from the bottom.

Aroma - deep grains, some hops, a tad nut

Taste - Flavor actually exists malts near front of mouth - nice bit of bitter hop action at back of the throat - kind of tastes like the first beer I had as a kid.

Mouthfeel - deep and substantial for a macro lager nicely carbed

Drinkability - for all its pluses I can't see drinking all that many of these - maybe its all the old timers telling me schlitz old formula gave a lot of people head aches - but its one of those beers that I don't react well with. (960 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +9%

A - A clear crystal clear yellow color with a large creamy white head

S - It smells like it's old advertisement "Just a kiss of hops.".

T - This one is the best of the domestic brews (Miller, Bud, Coors etc.). I'm so glad that they brought this one back as it brings back old memories. They definitely nailed the original flavor and this is truly a session beer in that your can have more than one of while sitting in your lawn chair after cutting the grass on a hot summer day.

M - Clean and crisp. Not overpowering and is one of the best in it's category (a fizzy yellow domestic beer).

D- A very drinkable session (domestic) beer. Please don't let this one go into hibernation again. (690 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a brilliantly clear pale straw color. A soapy white head quickly dissipates.

S: A nice malt aroma; sweet and bready without any hint of DMS or adjuncts; also none of that astringent, cat-piss-like aroma you get from a lot of macro lagers.

T: A little herbal, slightly hay-like hop flavor up front that quickly gives way to malt sweetness. Very clean and smooth in the middle; a nice malt flavor, not heavy but without any hint of rice or corn. Sweetness gives way to just enough hop bitterness to keep this from being cloying. Finish is medium dry with a slight astringency, but leaving you ready for more.

M: Thin and fizzy; on par for a macro lager.

D: More flavorful than your Bud/Miller/Coors, but not heavy by any means. Definitely quaffable.

Overall: It's really hard to find any faults with this beer. While it's thinner and lighter than, say, a true Munich Helles, it shares many of the same qualities--just scaled down. Overall, however, I'd have to say this is exceptional for its style. Whereas I generally consider the best macro lagers to simply be the least offensive, this is affirmatively good. I would take this hands down over the typical macro swill available at your corner tavern. I really, REALLY hope they start carrying this at my local bowling alley. (1,289 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this in a Schitz glass at Mike's Highway Pub on tap.

A--Golden and transparent...slightly darker than pale yellow. Substantial carbonation, nice off-white head with some lace. Not a great look but not bad.

S--Yeah! - takes me back many years to my high school time. Grainy, mild malt with a sweetness, some adjunct noted. A slight nose of hops, not much.

T--There is a smooth richness and maltiness, mildly bitter and metallic at the end. It has about 1/3 of the ingredients that say Sam Adams Lager has, but in the right balance. Adjunct sweetness balances.

M--Light bodied, soft and slick on the tongue, satisfying and much better than most Macro's I can think of.

D--Very nice with food, one to savor of this style. I wouldn't go out of the way for it but I wouldn't kick it out of "bed". (800 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce twist-off brown bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Snow-white head. Fairly good head retention. Clear golden body that shows off some decent carbonation.

Smell: Aroma of malts and adjunct. I can't tell if the adjuncts are of the corn or rice variety. It might be both.

Taste: Petty flavorful and drinkable for an adjunct lager. It seems more substantial than many others of the same style. I'd probably give it a 4 out of 5 on the taste if it had a bigger bitter finish. (499 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -4.4%

I'm a craft beer and beer snob first and foremost. So understanding that I like a Hopdevil or a good Rodenbach is key to the fact that any good beer can be balanced with the quintessential lawnmower/party beer. As for this beer I give it high marks because it takes a lot to make a beer that will show imperfections as much as a pimple will always rear it's ugly head on prom night. This beer pours clean and clear with a fine head in the right pilsner glass (I happen to own a Schlitz glass). Taste of malt and corn with a light-bodied finish. Not for the hopheads, the Belgian freaks, or the barrel-aged fanatic. This is 1960 in a bottle ready for summer and a stroll through suburbia. So sit back and have a brewski with the bud's and enjoy... (746 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

12 oz bottle poured into tall pilsner glass

A--Golden and transparent...slightly darker than straw. Substantial carbonation. Big-bubbled head calming down after 1 min

S--Mild w/sweet adjunct. No big surprise. Grainy and a tad of detectable alcohol. No distinguishable hoppiness. Maybe a bit of iron scent w/ ghosts of malt.

T--Ooh...not bad! There is a smooth richness and malty robustness to this. Mildly bitter and metallic, but essentially neutral. Adjunct sweetness balances. Rich, malty/grainy in finish.

M--Light-to-medium bodied, in the idea that I expected this to be much lighter bodied. Thicker viscosity. Rich and not wimpy. Satisfying.

D--Yes, but not necessarily a slammer. Stop to enjoy it. I get what they're doing here. Obvious parallels in taste, quality, image to High Life...and that is totally fine by me! (830 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

What can u say about Schlitz Gusto (the 60s formula in a bottle)? Well, if it was good enough for my late father and grandfather to drink, then I must say it's good enough for me. I was excited when i found out Schlitz was going to bottle its old formula and the beer lives up to the hype, at least for me. I gave a couple of warm bottles of this stuff to my neighbor to put in his fridge, but he couldn't wait and drank 'em warm and he loved them. I prefer to drink my beer cold, and it's pleasure in every sip. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic but I do like this beer enough to give it high marks across the board. It's definitely not the beer Schlitz brews in a can. I picked up a 12-pack at Delock's Liquors in Munster, Indiana over the Christmas holidays and I plan on getting more on my next trip north. (807 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%

I may have reviewed the normal Schlitz with the 60's formula. Nevertheless here I go.

If this was the same beer, then this must have been a different batch. I liked this much better than the previous bottle I had.

It is a cheap macro that is widely available in the midwest. For being what it is and compared to the rest of the style, it is a step above the competition. There is a slightly bitter taste that I was not prepared for but welcomed. Great macro. May have to become my go to beer. (494 characters)

3.66/5  rDev +0.3%

12 ounce bottle, served in a Sam Adams BL glass. The beer pours a clear gold color with about an inch frothy white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent. The aroma is sweet malt and grain/adjuncts. Not an offensive aroma, but not exactly pleasing either. It tastes like grain/corn, sweet malt and a bit of lemon and hops. Mouthfeel is light, has a clean finish and isn't watery. Drinkability is pretty good, it wouldn't be hard to drink as a session beer at all. I wouldn't mind having this as a summer/lawnmower beer. For the style, it's pretty good. I think it's a good macro/adjunct lager, the next time I'm in the mood for this style of beer I'd definitely pick this up. It's better than I was expecting, and it's certainly a step up from most BMC beers of the same style. (786 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -3.6%

Appearance- Bright golden color with a bright white head to match. Crystal clear, and surprisingly a little bit of lacing.

Smell- Adjuncty grainy smell is dominant.

Taste- Hey, this is actually quite surprisingly hoppy. Not bad at all. A very good balance overall. Hints of corn in the finish, but that's not bad for the style.

Mouthfeel- This has a bit more body than your typical "macro" and I like that. Vigorous carbonation helps cleanse the palate very quickly.

Drinkability- Well, gotta admit that I could drink at least a couple of these, especially when hot weather hits. This really isn't too bad at all- definitely one of the better "macros" I've had. (665 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +3%

Keep in mind I rate this as a macro. Bell's beer it is not but considering what it is I must say I like it.

Pleasant head thicker than most macros and some lacing. Deeper than normal yellow color.

Nothing stands out in the way of smell but certainly not offensive. Slight malt.

Malt is present in the taste as well as the hops. The hops flavor presents the slightest floral notes. Perhaps a faint bread flavor in there as well.

I don't find this beer to be thin at all. Good carbonation. Not overly dry. Pleasing mouthfeel.

In my opinion the best lawn mower beer I've found to date. No everyday lager from BMC this well made. However at $6.50 a six pack I will probably fall back to PBR. It's not as good but it's good enough and priced right. (748 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

Bought a six pack of this for nostalgia purposes.

The first thing I noticed was the horrible smell; the only word I could use to describe is "sour." Smelled like the taverns my dad frequented back in the 60's. The taste didn't suggest that it was a bad bottle, though, so although I can't believe it's supposed to smell like that, maybe...

The color is a deep yellow, very nice and dark. Lots of carbonation and a healthy white, thick head that hung around a while. Good lacing for this style.

The carbonation adds some nice mouthfeel, and the taste is about what you'd expect for a good American macro. If this was the only thing around, I'd not object. (657 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear body with a hue of golden yellow. Large bubbles glide to the surface supporting a soapy white head that has a fizz sound as it dissipates to a thin ring of white.

S- The smell is very clean even as the beer warms with notes of raw grain and dryness coming though. There is no real sharp sulfur note and the sulfur that does come through is very soft and in balance with the raw grain.

T- The flavor of dry club soda with a faint bitter hint is followed by a raw grain watery note and a slight sweetness at the finish. There is a soft field corn note with the exhale after each sip. The flavor is still very soft but smooth.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a dry carbonic bite that cleans up the finish.

D- This beer is very soft and mellow with very little flavor, however there are no off flavors that stand out so it is very easy to drink. I will have to try this one again as a thirst quencher when it gets to 110 degrees next summer. (1,023 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -7.7%

Have seen these bottles around Binny's lately and just couldn't keep myself away. Bought a sixer for Thanksgiving and am just getting around to it.

Pours much like any BMC product with a bit more of a substantial head and a bit more lacing. Slightly corny, mild hop kiss, but otherwise listless and grainy, though admittedly a step up from the sickening sweetness of most macros. Less corn, more cereal graininess and just the slightest kiss of fruity hops. Light bodied and fizzy with a crisp, refreshingly dry finish. Not really sure what the BFD is about this beer. Probably a pretty decent option for a macro lager if Sam Adams or Yuengling is not available, but really just an average, though refreshing, macro lager. (723 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -17%

Ordered a bottle at Palmer's Bar on Cedar Ave. Poured into a pint glass, it appears a clear straw gold. After reading about this beer, my expectations we a little high, but it's really just a better macro lager. The corn element is still present, though there is a quick hint of hops in the flavor and a mix of bready malts with the vegetable notes. Drinkable and certainly a decent macro, if you're into that sort of thing. (424 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Straw colored beer that is super clear. There is a plain light head that fades to a haze of foam over the surface of the beer and it stays for the duration.

The smell is of cereal malts with a lemony crispness. There is a hint of hops but for the most part it's just a decent beer smell.

Taste is slightly above average. It's clean, it's crisp, it's an American lager. It has the same mediocre flavors as all the others except this one seems to be slightly fresher. There is a malty goodness surrounded by a lemony twang. I imagine all macros taste like this right after they've been brewed but the bottling process and storage/shipping ends up f-ing it all up.

Damn decent beer even if it isn't flashy or big in body or flavors. I like the freshness, it makes me feel like I got my dollars worth and I forget that I am drinking cheap beer. I also love the marketing, with the old school label and the 60's looking posters I really feel like I am drinking a brew that my grandfather might have swigged on. Well done Schlitz, I am a new fan. (1,043 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +10.7%

A- Pours a clear yellow color with ample carbonation bubbles, a 1 finger white head, and no sediment. IN about a minutes time, the head recedes to a thin cap.

S- A definite grainy cereal note is present as well with notes of *gasp* hops. Nothing huge, but pleasant nonetheless. Sweet maltiness and hints of metallic hop oil are present.

T- Starts out with a pleasant maltiness with a medicinal note, backed by some nice earthy hopiness. The finish has much of the same medicinal malt notes, the earthy hops and almost a dark earthy fruit component.

M- Nice thick feel from start to to finish. The finish isn't overly clean and leaves some residual finish, although it is a bit odd.

D- Gusto? More than any other macro. This is a pretty damn fine drinkable macro. It ranks right up there with Grain Belt, in my opinion. Will drink again. (843 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -13.4%

I must confess. This is the first beer I ever drank albiet it was in cans. I saw a display and an announcement on the bottle "original formula". This was at my specialty beer store. One of the guys said it was not that bad.

Poured just like all macros. Some head and clear yellow. Lace is very weak after all. Nose is disappointing with barnyard and grain. Not appealing

Once I get past the smell the taste is sweet, some malt or grain and some hops. Not bad. Mouth feel is kind of dry on the finish and this beer is drinkable. (530 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +26.8%

Pours to a clear golden color with thin white head that will stay as a pool on the top to the brew. Good Carbonation is present.

Smells ike a clean light hops and light malts blend.

You get a solid malts blended with a good hops taste. Very good!

Has a very clean easy drinking finish. Light bodied.

Asfar as American Macro Lagers go this is the best I have had. Very good and delisish. Could drink this all day long. (421 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

Into a pint glass, pours a nice light golden color with a nice half inch white head, some nice lacing too, off to a good start. The aroma is small, but can pick up traces of crackers, hops, a bit buttery, and clean. Nothing great, but doesn't detract. The taste is solid, crisp and clean. Pale malt, some crackers, and a nice amount of hops here make the taste above average for the style, with a solid body, light carbonation, and pretty smooth. In all, pretty darn good for a style I loath, wouldn't mind tipping back a few of these. (535 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +26%

Original formula is stormin' the Cedar Valley, for some reason. They got huge POP in all the bars, even the nice ones. Big display at the Hy-Vee Wine and Spirits, and since I was in the mood for something light so I figured whatever.

Pours High-Life decent. Pale straw color, but the head is really nice and white and surprisingly retentive.

Smells a good sight better than the Schlitz I remember from my youth. I grew up in the 90s, mind. Light straw, hints of grain and hay, and believe it or not there's actually a little kiss o' hop in there. (There, I said it.) Granted, it's faint. Every thing's faint. But nothing is offputting, no adjunct metal or skunkiness or nothing.

Tastes grainy and mealy, like cereal. Decent dose of hops in there, too. Light malt sweetness dominates, bitter hops finish that's actually present, you don't have to squint to see it, it might not be as strong as a straight-up pils but it's still there. It finishes with a grain and yeast aftertaste that's similar to Bud Heavy but without the unpleasant bittersweetness. It--it's pretty amazing, absolutely perfect for what it is but also absolutely perfect by any other standard. The flavor is so astounding, so busy yet balanced, full yet crisp, that I can understand how this style became the norm.

Surprisingly good, easily the best macro-style lager I've ever had. I'd take this over BMC any day, and it even eclipses High Life and Grain Belt. (1,435 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

My son just bought me a 12 pack of the old 60's formula Schlitz. I drank Schlitz back then as a kid and in the army and its every bit as good now as then. At one time Schlitz was the best selling brand in the U.S. next to Bud. Great taste for a non dark beer. (259 characters)

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours to a notably non-fizzy straw-golden with a fluffy white head that shows both retention and lacework. This is what macros look like in commercials and rarely do in real life.
The nose fails to disclose much of anything. Faint cereal grains, corn being one. Dry lemonpepper hops are secondary.
Again with the lightly sweet cereal notes in the mouth. Corn is here, with a suggestion of powdered sugar. Frosted Flakes, maybe? It's not that sweet, though. Some soup crackery pils malt notes shine through. Hops add a dry, unforceful, peppery, grassy bitterness.
Light bodied, but not over-gaseous. Carbonation is steady, but tame and well-mannered.
The hype and hoopla surrounding the '60 formula isn't all smoke and mirrors.
I'd take this over any of its macro peers in a heartbeat. It makes me want to stay up all night, play poker and smoke cheap cigars, and I think that's exactly the point. (900 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours crystal clear golden. Small head sticks around for awhile.

Aroma of dive bar. Sweet grains and corn.

Taste is slightly sweet , with a good imagination hops are in their somewhere. A pretty decent taste.

Mouthfeel is light and thin, spot on for style.

Overall a very easy drinking beer. (295 characters)

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)