Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

"Classic 1960's Formula" Schlitz Gusto reintroduced in 2008. 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft.

Original Schlitz in 12 oz. cans and draft:

(Beer added by: Pauly2X on 08-13-2008)
3.8/5  rDev +7%

How do you know you've gone too far as a beer geek?

You are reviewing Shlitz at a bar during trivia on a Monday night.

This was in a can so I can't give it a proper appearance rating. I looked inside and I would say it's black.

Smelled like your normal pale American lager. Classic bread-like malt aroma.

Very light flavor of noble hops. Some sweet malt. Crisp lager finish. Refreshing, watery, spritzy, and tall. This is a go-to for trivia night. $3 a can. I prefer it a little more to High Life or something like that. There's a little more flavor. But I can still pound these all night and rock it out with the woo! dudes like a boss.

BearsOnAcid, Feb 05, 2012
3.65/5  rDev +2.8%

I remember swiping these brews out of my Dad's--Uncle's and Grandfather's refrigerators when I was a teenager. They were cold, wet, and they got yeah buzzed--and that's all that mattered. Now what matters is price, and with my favorite package store selling 12 packs at $4.99, what can I say?

Appearance: Typical straw colored body with a meager head that barely stays on.

Smell: Bready, yeasty, with just a hint of malt sweetness.

Taste: I get a little sweet malt notes, a bit of corn meal, and a surprising hop bite. Not bad at all.

Mouth-feel: Decent for the style. It might need a little more carbonation.

Overall: This is my "go to" adjunct brew. Not just a lawnmower beer, but a spacer--a beer to drink in between expensive beers. Just as good as Bud, Miller, PBR, and at the price I'm getting them for, I'd be crazy not to pick up a 12 or 2 on the weekend--every weekend.

godlessape, Feb 04, 2012

MaddDogg84, Feb 04, 2012

kew, Jan 28, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured a medium straw hue with a two finger frothy bone white head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell featured sweet adjunct malts and a light grassy hop.

The taste consisted of upfront sweet malts with a lingering drying grassy and herbal hop.

The mouthfeel was extremely smooth and didn't turn that harsh corner like most adjunct lagers do.

Overall a tasty macro.

plaid75, Jan 22, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -29.6%

zenwatts, Jan 17, 2012

mcphish22, Jan 14, 2012
2.98/5  rDev -16.1%

12oz bottle with the "Classic 1960s Formula" tagline on it's neck label.

A. Light straw yellow with fizzy soda head that dies back to nothing in 30 seconds flat, no lacing at all.

S. Once the initial bottle-opening rush of husky grains and cooked corn settles down, there is really not much to smell here beyond a faint sort of crystal malt.

T. Sweet crystal malt, very light herbal / earthen hopping. Surprisingly light on cooked corn flavor for an American Adjunct Lager.

M. Lighter side of medium flavor...yet strangely undercarbonated, it just lies limp on my tongue without any effervescence at all.

WastingFreetime, Jan 11, 2012

jkrgrs, Jan 05, 2012
1.78/5  rDev -49.9%

Was pleasantly surprised by the previous Schlitz formula -- and was so looking forward to trying the new recipe.

Complete disappointment.

The old stuff would go for around $4.99 a 12 box. The new stuff was priced at $9.99 a 12 box -- and I was dumb enough to pay for it because I had been waiting for it for years.

The appearance is your run of the mill cheap belly wash lager. Maybe tinted a shade darker.

Smelled like soap with grain undertones.

Taste was bitter. And not in a good way. The previous formula was crisp and clean with a bite from the hops -- this is just foul from the word go.

Just a terrible product. Pabst's new owners are doing a great job of ruining the company which began to catch as a fluke.

44ouncer, Jan 03, 2012

cdwil, Dec 30, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -12.7%

I had read about Schlitz bringing back their "'60s" formula and I saw a 12-pack in the grocery store available for $7.99 plus taxes. At that price, I was willing to take a chance on it.

The beer is a straw color and is completely clear. The head is decently foamy for the style. The aroma has a generic bready, grainy smell.

Hmm, I can't say I've ever had an adjunct lager that quite tastes like this. It tastes like white bread. I know white bread has negative connotations in food circles, but I use the term in a positive sense. I mean, I'd rather have a cheap lager taste like white bread than corn syrup and bitter water.

The real strength of its beer, comparing it to other beers in the style, is the mouthfeel. It's smooth and isn't too fizzy and doesn't leave me feeling bloated.

As someone who usually drinks ales, I'm having a hard time grading this beer. It's bland but great for the style. It might be comparable to white bread, but I'd rather drink something that tastes like white bread instead of Clydesdale urine.

I wish this beer would take off and take market share from BMC, but I fear BMC's grip on the minds of American consumers is too strong.

airforbes1, Dec 16, 2011

bacher468, Dec 08, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz can into standard pint glass.

A: typical macro lager plus one shade darker. Fluffy white head clears quickly. Hefty chugs leave nice looking lacing.

S: there's not a lot going on here, but what is happening is pleasant. Floral-soapy hops are present. Almost reminds me of a Czech pils.

T: on par with smell. Floral hops and dry. Very refreshing, makes you want to take another sip soon after the last.

M: thin but crazy refreshing. Carbonation is just right for the style . This one could be drunk all day while watching football or whatever your sport of preference may be.

O: the best aal I've ever had. BMC should be keeping an eye on this one. I could see this coming back and staking a claim in the aal landscape. Blows the other aal's I've tried out of the water. No pun intended...

Brac13, Dec 01, 2011

celticfutblclub, Nov 30, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -0.6%

pours out of the 12 oz. can a clear pale gold colour, almost straw like with a relatively enthusiastic snow white head that seems to want to stick around awhile. some clingy lace, too. impressive. grainy malt aroma...a bit of corny adjunct with a good dose of spicy and flowery hoppiness. the taste department follows suit...a bit meek and meager in the malt bill, thin and grittily adjunct ridden but just sweet enough to overide the slightly seltzer like feel. again, the amount of raw hoppiness in the backend really sets this apart from the usual fare of mass produced american lagers. a touch floral, some spice, with a definite bitterness that is appropriate. it does have a light body and a thinnish, prickly mouthfeel. drinkability is good, especially if you like a bit of raw character to your domestic lagers.

overall, this is a pretty tasty, thirst quenching lager with some gritty character. the overall flavour and character makes up for the too thin body and mouthfeel. i like it. and happy 10 year BA birthday to me! now...on to the good stuff!!

budgood1, Nov 30, 2011

KingBiscuit, Nov 29, 2011
3.6/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. can,

A: Pours a super clear yellow with a medium somewhat fizzy white head, great retention for the style, spotty lace.

S: Light bready malt, with a hint of grassiness/noble hopping.

T: A pretty hoppy adjunct lager especially on the finish. Nice floral Saaz like flavours give a nice back end flavour. Malt is relatively innocuous.

M: Light-bodied, has a typical macro carbonation, but is a bigger beer. Light hoppy aftertaste.

O: Certainly one of the better macro lagers I've had. The price is good, though Full Sail Session is better at the same price. Hell of a lot better than Budweiser.

Halcyondays, Nov 27, 2011

chapcat, Nov 25, 2011

deapokid, Nov 24, 2011

KC9LDB, Nov 21, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +26.8%

Wally1912, Nov 19, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -25.9%

Saw some hype about a return to to the classic formula. I was not impressed. Seems to be the same old macro lager taste that is acceptable when very cold, but nothing great. Good for a hot summer day.Acceptable as a spacer, but not much else. Very dissapointing.

tgbljb, Nov 15, 2011

ej285701, Nov 15, 2011
4.35/5  rDev +22.5%

Schlitz was the first beer I ever drank....a kid sneaking it out if Dad's cooler after he comes home from fishing in the early 70's. Also they used to Brew it close to home...Winston-Salem...I believe that's where they ruined the formula and made it cheaper...not long after that first beer of mine. Anyway, I would still buy it from time to time until it disappeared a few years back.

In the fall of 2010 I came across it in Memphis Tn, in cans. Immediately bought a 12 pack, trying to rekindle something from my teenage years. It worked. When we left Memphis, I took a couple of cases home. None of my friends were impressed. Schlitz was something their fathers/grandfathers drank, the butt of jokes.

Anyway, saw it in bottles here in NC just a few days back...heard it was coming. Immediately bought a case and iced it down in a cooler on the deck...went back to the summer of '75....

Honestly it is what it is...a good beer for drinking watching the ballgame or while grilling some burgers. Certainly a lot of more spectacular beers out there but I'm glad to see it back and I hope it stays!

I have a vintage Schlitz pilsner glass from the 50's a good friend and mentor gave me a few years back. I used that for my review.

Appearance...good golden color, poured with a nice head, lasted longer than I thought. Smell wad kind of bready...toast like ...better than store brand white bread ...more Roman Meal....taste was good...better than the average AAL for sure! Gives a little bite of carbonation...leaves a taste on the back of the tongue ...again takes me back to my youth. Mouthfeel, good and clean, drinks smooth. Like someone else described, without the bloat of the average AAL.

Overall, pretty good...an old friend returns.

hncowden50, Nov 15, 2011
Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)