Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

"Classic 1960's Formula" Schlitz Gusto reintroduced in 2008. 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft.

Original Schlitz in 12 oz. cans and draft:

(Beer added by: Pauly2X on 08-13-2008)
SamN

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

Gettin' old school here. Let's see how the 60's have held up.

Poured into a dimpled stein. Pours like an adjunct; pretty light yellow color, fizzy head, though this lasts noticeably longer. Smell is, whew, powerfully grassy and and also tinny. Rather flat aroma. Taste is a bit better than I expected, a bit fuller malt flavor, some nice toasty notes in there. Biscuitsy, or crackers. Not super deep, but certainly more than I expected from a Schlitz. A touch of sweetness rounds out the beer quite nicely. Feel is also nicely fuller than expected, with active carbonation keeping it lively and moving.

Damn it all, this is a pretty tasty beer. Underdog beer style aside, this is quite a tasty brew. This just may replace my current macro standby, PBR. Drinkability is excellent, I'm so happy with the taste I can't put this beer down!

05-10-2011 02:04:23 | More by SamN
Vdubb86

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

Served in a pint glass

Thanks to TMoney2591 for this beer

It pours a pale fizzy yellow like you would assume a beer of it's style would. The smell is actually rather nice and mild. There's no off flavors in the scent. I can't believe that I really don't mind the taste of this beer. I was so scared and nervous because I had consumed the non-Gusto varietal of this beer and it was god-awful. The only thing wrong with this was that there was an almost iron like taste that stayed on the tongue. For the style this is good. When we go fishing and drink the cheap stuff, this will be my beer of choice. I'm pretty happy about that now.

04-29-2011 20:55:43 | More by Vdubb86
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.22/5  rDev +18.5%

Schlitz Classic 1960's Formula beer has a thick off-white head, and a very clear, golden color; carbonation is high. Barley is prominent in the aroma, with a dash of spiciness. The taste is very good, with barley and a higher-than-average (for ASL beer) hop bitterness. Mouth-feel is medium. Schlitz 1960's Formula finishes crisp and refreshing, with a satisfying bite. I really like this beer. Try it!

RTJ

04-27-2011 13:56:11 | More by RonaldTheriot
TMoney2591

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Served in a Founders shaker pint glass.

I just had to try this. It pours a clear straw topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises wheat, corn, flowers, and light grass. A vague sort of pleasant sweetness hangs over everything here. The taste brings in more of the same, though that sweetness has deserted me, and a light brush of metallic ore comes in at some point (thankfully not for very long and not very strongly). This taste is pretty bland, but in a positive way, if that makes any sense. The body is light, with a moderate carbonation and a crisp-ish finish. Overall, probably the best AAL I have ever had. I wouldn't necessarily pick this out to drink as a regular thing, but if I ever am looking for a cheap pack of beer for an outing or something, this will be opted-for over the likes of BMC, PBR, and Old Style. I do so like pleasant surprises...

04-24-2011 23:34:23 | More by TMoney2591
ElCommodoro

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

Smells like banana, cereal grains, and a bit metallic. The first thing I notice in the taste is a bitter bite. Other than that, it's exceptionally smooth. I can taste some of that cereal malt, but it's very subdued. It's not sweet, certainly refreshing. More so, it's refreshingly different from other adjunct lagers out there today. It's much more bitter and noticeably lacking in sweetness. However, it's lacking in just about any other flavour too. As an escape from other budget beers, it's good, but overall, it's too watery.

04-24-2011 07:58:55 | More by ElCommodoro
Fatehunter

Oregon

2.08/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured into a pint glass. Very light straw color with a short white head that quickly gave way.

Smells lightly of honey and malt. Very faint smell though.

Slight malt, a bit of bitterness. There is an unpleasant flavor in there too but I cannot place it.

Lots of bubbles, kind of annoying. Light body.

I initially bought it for the novelty and to see what the 1960s tasted like. They can keep it. While it does not taste bad, it just does not taste like anything, plus the high carbonation makes it difficult to be a session beer.

04-23-2011 21:18:20 | More by Fatehunter
woodychandler

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Finally made it to PA and there it was in the singles section at my local! Will Cynthia Myers and the El Camino be visiting soon , also?

I had about a finger of bone-white head, but it fell like Wile E. Coyote off of a cliff. Color was a pretty golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. It wasn't fizzy enough for me to make a Greg Koch comment. Nose had a light grassy-hop scent. If this was an adjunct beer, it certainly had me fooled! Maybe extended with rice, but corn was not an additive here. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium with a lightly grassy hop bitterness on the tongue. This is undoubtedly what they meant by "Just a kiss of the hops". I prefer a French kiss, lingeringly so, but so be it in this case. Finish was pleasant, unobtrusive and definitely nostalgic. Man, I remember these in the heavy returnable bottles in my buddy's dad's reefer. We were big on helping ourselves. This may not be around forever, so grab some and take a trip in the WABAC machine!

04-16-2011 21:24:27 | More by woodychandler
emmasdad

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%

Finally made it to Colorado. Picked up a six pack of tall boys and had one last weekend. Poured a clear golden color with a small white head. Aromas of corn, straw and light citrus. Palate was light bodied and crisp. Flavors of straw, light corn and a hint of citrus with a crisp clean finish. An improvement over the other Schlitz.

04-13-2011 03:07:59 | More by emmasdad
JoeyBeerBelly

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

I got a six pack of "Tall Boy" cans in a trade with arvjunk. Thanks Ankur!
* 5/3/11 - got a 12 pack of 12oz cans

16oz can served in a pilsner glass.
*12oz can served in the same glassware (cleaned of course!).

L - clear yellow with a white head that thinned to a ring and left a few spots of lacing.
*No difference in the 12oz.

S - somewhat grainy and a little bitter.
*I got pretty much the same whiff the 12oz.

T - sweet taste with a hint of bitterness on the backend.
*It's all good.

F - lighter bodied with a crisp feel making it very easy to drink a lot of.
*It's pretty consistant.

D - this is a classic from my youth and I really like it.
*12oz cans are now available to me locally, cool!

04-09-2011 02:02:32 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
schlitzophrenia

South Carolina

Been waiting to try this for 3 years in South Carolina and it finally arrived today at the local Piggly Wiggly. The store carried canned Schlitz for years and today started carrying the "Classic 60's Formula" in 12 pack can version. Here goes the review:

Appearance-dark golden with a head that disappeared quickly. Nice, bubbly carbonation throughout the beer.

Smell-One of the freshest beers I have ever smelled-clean malt, honey, and bread

Taste-This is VERY similar to Schlitz in a can, but there is a difference. Gone are the sour,metallic, vegetable-like flavors that would form the aftertaste of the beer. In its place are corn, very light hop, bread, spice, and honey. The finish is clean and full.

Mouthfeel-Soda-like and VERY clean. In fact, this is the cleanest AAL on the market.

Overall-I am going to give it a 5. For years I have drank the standard AAL's (High Life, PBR, etc) and this is the best one so far. I will take this over craft beers and IPA's any day. Hopefully this will be a permanent staple in grocery stores and convenience stores from here on because this is real beer.

04-01-2011 17:16:24 | More by schlitzophrenia
steveclarkus

4.38/5  rDev +23%

I've waited three years to try this beer and it has finally come to my region. It was worth the wait. I was at a micro brew beer fest recently and found IPA's to the the current fad and it seemed they were all having a hops contest. After tasting many, I was getting bittered out and dying of thirst but the only thirst quenching beer there was Chechvar (as Budweis is marked in America). I was dying for a drinkable American beer. I was talking with a local distributor wearing a Schlitz t-shirt and found Schlitz had finally arrived.

I am reviewing this beer relative to its American peers.

The AAB I've been drinking lately is Yuengling, PBR was the beer of my youth but it seems to have changed for the worse.

I went out and bought a six pk of bottles and a twelve pk of Schlitz and I do believe I've found my "go to" American beer. My opinion is that it is not all the good characteristics of Schlitz but the absence of bad ones. I haven't noticed a difference between bottle and can.

This is a near perfect example of the traditional American beer at its best. It's not the Schmitz of Philadelphia of my youth but it is close enough.

03-29-2011 20:58:12 | More by steveclarkus
mattcomstock213

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

Pabst is growing into an interesting company. You can tell how they view each of the brands in their arsenal by how they market each of the beers.
Sure Schlitz was never very good, but they killed themselves in the 80's and Pabst did the smart thing by bringing back the old recipe.
That being said Schlitz Gusto pours fizzy, pale, and yellow. Its tastes fine, by which I mean its good enough. Schlitz gusto is a perfectly reasonable utility beer, one that I will not make fun of anyone for drinking.

03-28-2011 20:33:19 | More by mattcomstock213
Thads324

Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

Starting to review aal, then will perform a blind test to test a marketing theory.

A : pours a vibrant yellow with a huge billowing head of loose bubbles that dissipates quickly but leaves a solid ring at the top of the glass

S : sweet husks of corn and a musty and generic hop aroma

T : i was not expecting much from this beer, but it certainly is better than it smells. It starts a subtle sweetness with an almost floral hint. followed by a watery middle and finished with a czech style hop. there is a lack of bite often found in other lagers of a similar style.

M : easy going and smooth. can't take anything away from it

D : All day if I have a will to pound light brews all day.

The second that grass starts to grow I know the wife will have me out mowing the lawn. We like to keep it green and neat. Usually I'll have a brown ale or a nice ipa while in the hot sun, but if i feel like having a few it could be these. nice

03-24-2011 20:14:40 | More by Thads324
bigrzman

3.1/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours out a darker straw color, zero head retention, and uneven carbonation (tiny bubbles little bubbles).

Smells metallic and corny. I guess they used a crap ton of corn back in the 1960's too.

Tastes pretty standard for this style. It tastes of corn, freshly mown grass from pale barley but has a little more hop assertiveness for a macro which is still pretty low on the IBU scale, kinda has a Heineken hop taste.

Mouthfeel is thin and fizzy and thirst quenching. Drinkability would be high because there is nothing hateful about it.

Basically, you people got fooled. Beer in the 1960's was probably just as bad as it was before the micro-brew revolution. It is your standard Joe Average lawn mower beer and nothing else but something that hearkens back the days of old and onion skin nostalgia.

03-23-2011 15:33:59 | More by bigrzman
brewerburgundy

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%

12oz can, date of 6/13/11 on the bottom of the can, nonic.

Light, shining golden yellow with perfect clarity. The head is a glossy white foamy affair with decent retention for the style, meaning from inches and inches there is now half an inch. It does look like it will hold on about there and possibly leave some dollops on the glass. Never mind, no lacing.

Grassy, almost skunked hops, corn and light malt sweetness, and grain husk typify the style, and I don't find if far off of PBR at all.

Happily the corniness disappears for the most part, but is replaced by a more rice-like sweetness. There is still a grassy and slightly herbal hop presence and a bit of grain. A little more bitterness would make it more crisp.

It seems a little less carbonated than it's peers and I am unsure whether this is good or bad. It slightly detracts from the crisp, refreshing quotient while making it less stomach bursting if you have more than one and allowing the flavors to land more heavily. That last one may be where I'm not sure that less carb is better.

I'm not crazy about the beer. While a more flavorful (mostly in a good way) AAL than most, it is not much of an improvement. It costs more than PBR and I'll stick with that for situations conducive to this kind of beer.

03-19-2011 20:41:06 | More by brewerburgundy
merlin48

Kentucky

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

My father rarely drank beer, but when he did it was good ole Schlitz, in the era before poptab cans. And, he poured salt in it. No salt goes in with my pour but Schlitz has a clear yellow body with a small white head. Retention is poor and lacing consists of only a few speckles. Aroma is unremarkable, somewhat of an attribute for the style. Toasted grain and a hint of herbal/spicy hops. Mouthfeel is clean and crisp, light bodied and well carbonated. Taste is clean and even. Toasted grain with a mild sweetness that is nicely balanced by a subtle herbal hop bitterness. Some barley and a hint of corn underneath. No offnotes. Simple but well done, this one leaves the other macro lagers in the dust. Very clean and sessionable.

03-18-2011 16:20:32 | More by merlin48
welldigger888

3.3/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured from bottle, bright golden hue with a snow white cap that lingered but laced poorly.
A mallty aroma is in the front (wow) followed by a distinct adjunct corny smell with a nice floral hop.
A disidedly more hop forward flavor than I am used to for the style and a nice noble hop floral spice, some adjunct comes through but not overwhelming.
Very smooth brew, better than expected. A little bit over the top carbonation but good none the less.
Given the price piont and availability this is good stuff.

03-17-2011 01:46:20 | More by welldigger888
saintwarrick

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Been wanting to try this, and it does not disappoint. Pours a nice gold color, slightly darker than most American lagers. Fizzy head dissipates quickly. Nose is some nice roasted malts and corn and honey glaze. Surprisingly good body in this brew, where its brethren are little more than glorified, over-carbonated water. This one is actually has some heft to it. Very smooth taste with just the right amount of carbonation. Taste is light and smooth, the perfect brew for cookouts and warm weather. Wish all American lagers tasted like this; definitely need more macros to got "retro".

03-16-2011 09:38:37 | More by saintwarrick
Groucho75

Georgia

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

12 oz can with June 13, 2011 stamped on the bottom. Picked up a 12 pack of these on a lark, because why not? Made the mistake of pulling up their website in an effort to find out more. Loads of ads from the 60's with their catchy jingle still ringing in my ears. I've had plenty of PBR, even liked Schaefer for a while when it was still available here in Atlanta. Nice to see one of the major brewers trying to recapture something they had such a large hand in destroying. So let's see if the hoopla is more than that.

Pale yellow with loads of bubbles. Decent amount of head that evaporated pretty quickly.

Hints of grass and *gasp* some hops on the nose.

Taste was much better than I was expecting. Of course, adjunct flavoring, grass, and malty too. Refreshing for sure.

Finish didn't linger too long, but some afterbite. Not overly unpleasant and not enough to keep me from drinking this in the future.

After doing some yardwork or hosting a party where your beer buddies aren't as cultured, this is a winner. Nice job, Pabst-Miller-whoever is brewing this.

03-15-2011 23:37:14 | More by Groucho75
Buggies

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a nice clear straw yellow with a thin head. Not a lot going on aroma wise. Just a hint of caramel and citrus. A little corn there too. Tastes is light and clean. Pretty balance... slightly sweet or citrusy finish. Just an ever so slight bitterness too.

Overall, a nice clean refreshing beer for those days when you just want a dam beer.

03-14-2011 19:17:47 | More by Buggies
tito42

Missouri

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from 16 oz. "tall boy" can. March 21, 2011 stamped on bottom of can.

A: Golden and crystal clear with a foamy, slightly off-white head. Looks good at first, but has minimal to no lacing and poor head retention.

S: Faint grassy and sweet corn aromas typical of an AAL.

T: Slightly sweet with grainy, grassy notes in the middle and a bit of a green apple finish with lively carbonation and a touch of hops finish. Sweet, but not overly so.

M: Light but not completely watery. There is a bit of a malt backbone present. The carbonation leaves a nice tang on the palate complimented by the green apple.

D: A very drinkable AAL if you're in that kind of mood (I have been lately).

03-07-2011 04:34:20 | More by tito42
MirkoCroCough

Croatia (Hrvatska)

3.73/5  rDev +4.8%

12oz bottle into pint glass.

Nice golden color. A bit more dusk than regular Schlitz.

Clean, beery smell. Not as strong as regular version.

Good, but the kiss of the hops is toned down. Still not bad however.

Smooth and slick with nice carbonation and finish.

Very easy to drink. Somewhat cleaner, lighter and less syrupy than regular Schlitz. Looks like this version will be phasing out the canned "Kiss of the hops" Schlitz. Still a solid, no frills beer. Will drink again.

03-06-2011 06:09:11 | More by MirkoCroCough
meeekyh

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

12 oz into a pilsner glass.

Pale, clear, white-headed beer.

The nose hit me right out of the bottle. American Adjunct for sure. Very light and not as clean as I'd like. There is a faint grass smell there but not much else.

Taste is clean and just a bit sweet, but grainy-sweet not sugar-sweet. A light tang accompanies. It is refreshingly clean and free of aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is slightly fuller than what I usually experience in an AAL but not so much to be a medium-bodied beer. Carbonation is pretty standard and the finish is slightly dry.

Even as the beer warms slightly the aftertaste does not get out of hand and the overall light-grain, tangy-goodness remains. This is pitcher beer and I would love to try it on draught. Quite quaffable.

A very drinkable AAL. Slainte.

03-05-2011 03:08:37 | More by meeekyh
alleykatking

Indiana

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a deep golden straw color. One and a half finger white head shows medium retention. Nice streaking of lace on the sides of the glass. As far a adjunct lagers go this one looks a little better than most.

S- The aroma is muted which can be good for this style at times (you know what I'm talking about). There is a nice sweet grainy presence with hints of malt in the front of the nose. Backend you get a light hopping and surprisingly enough no metallic off tones. Once again even muted this is a little above most adjunct lagers.

T- Sweet light malt upfront with more of a grainy flavor toward the middle of the beer. Ending has a light green apple flavor which I don't know is an off flavor or not but actually balances out this beer a little. The ending has a light floral hop to it. The flavors while mostly highly muted still showed that adjuncts could be clean tasting.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Sweet malty grains are left on the palate. Same goes for the aftertaste with a clean alcohol flavor and a hint of floral hopping. Flavors while being muted were well balanced for the style. Off flavors were not present although the green apple in the ending may or may not have been intentional. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This beer goes down very easy. No off flavors which limit most adjunct lagers to me. Low BAV makes this the perfect lawnmower beer to me.

03-04-2011 17:36:58 | More by alleykatking
cyrock1

2.9/5  rDev -18.5%

Appearance: Pale Gold to straw color with a bright white /2 inch head that dwindles down to about a sliver over time.

Smell: Light grain on the nose with a hint of citrus/lemon.

Taste: Classic American Macro Lager taste, not thin or watery though.

Mouthfeel: Lively carbonation with mild bittering hops.

Drinkability: A true beer, unlike the other yellow fizzy things people call beer these days. I was pleasantly surprised.

03-04-2011 06:30:13 | More by cyrock1
Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)