Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

"Classic 1960's Formula" Schlitz Gusto reintroduced in 2008. 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft.

Original Schlitz in 12 oz. cans and draft:

(Beer added by: Pauly2X on 08-13-2008)
View: Beers (6) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
robbyc1

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this in a Schitz glass at Mike's Highway Pub on tap.

A--Golden and transparent...slightly darker than pale yellow. Substantial carbonation, nice off-white head with some lace. Not a great look but not bad.

S--Yeah! - takes me back many years to my high school time. Grainy, mild malt with a sweetness, some adjunct noted. A slight nose of hops, not much.

T--There is a smooth richness and maltiness, mildly bitter and metallic at the end. It has about 1/3 of the ingredients that say Sam Adams Lager has, but in the right balance. Adjunct sweetness balances.

M--Light bodied, soft and slick on the tongue, satisfying and much better than most Macro's I can think of.

D--Very nice with food, one to savor of this style. I wouldn't go out of the way for it but I wouldn't kick it out of "bed".

02-23-2009 15:48:59 | More by robbyc1
BierFan

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce twist-off brown bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Snow-white head. Fairly good head retention. Clear golden body that shows off some decent carbonation.

Smell: Aroma of malts and adjunct. I can't tell if the adjuncts are of the corn or rice variety. It might be both.

Taste: Petty flavorful and drinkable for an adjunct lager. It seems more substantial than many others of the same style. I'd probably give it a 4 out of 5 on the taste if it had a bigger bitter finish.

02-20-2009 23:42:36 | More by BierFan
SiphonKing

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

I'm a craft beer and beer snob first and foremost. So understanding that I like a Hopdevil or a good Rodenbach is key to the fact that any good beer can be balanced with the quintessential lawnmower/party beer. As for this beer I give it high marks because it takes a lot to make a beer that will show imperfections as much as a pimple will always rear it's ugly head on prom night. This beer pours clean and clear with a fine head in the right pilsner glass (I happen to own a Schlitz glass). Taste of malt and corn with a light-bodied finish. Not for the hopheads, the Belgian freaks, or the barrel-aged fanatic. This is 1960 in a bottle ready for summer and a stroll through suburbia. So sit back and have a brewski with the bud's and enjoy...

02-14-2009 04:32:01 | More by SiphonKing
larsee01

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

12 oz bottle poured into tall pilsner glass

A--Golden and transparent...slightly darker than straw. Substantial carbonation. Big-bubbled head calming down after 1 min

S--Mild w/sweet adjunct. No big surprise. Grainy and a tad of detectable alcohol. No distinguishable hoppiness. Maybe a bit of iron scent w/ ghosts of malt.

T--Ooh...not bad! There is a smooth richness and malty robustness to this. Mildly bitter and metallic, but essentially neutral. Adjunct sweetness balances. Rich, malty/grainy in finish.

M--Light-to-medium bodied, in the idea that I expected this to be much lighter bodied. Thicker viscosity. Rich and not wimpy. Satisfying.

D--Yes, but not necessarily a slammer. Stop to enjoy it. I get what they're doing here. Obvious parallels in taste, quality, image to High Life...and that is totally fine by me!

01-18-2009 22:11:16 | More by larsee01
cadizkyguy

Kentucky

4.2/5  rDev +18%

What can u say about Schlitz Gusto (the 60s formula in a bottle)? Well, if it was good enough for my late father and grandfather to drink, then I must say it's good enough for me. I was excited when i found out Schlitz was going to bottle its old formula and the beer lives up to the hype, at least for me. I gave a couple of warm bottles of this stuff to my neighbor to put in his fridge, but he couldn't wait and drank 'em warm and he loved them. I prefer to drink my beer cold, and it's pleasure in every sip. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic but I do like this beer enough to give it high marks across the board. It's definitely not the beer Schlitz brews in a can. I picked up a 12-pack at Delock's Liquors in Munster, Indiana over the Christmas holidays and I plan on getting more on my next trip north.

12-31-2008 09:42:08 | More by cadizkyguy
Mistofminn

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

I may have reviewed the normal Schlitz with the 60's formula. Nevertheless here I go.

If this was the same beer, then this must have been a different batch. I liked this much better than the previous bottle I had.

It is a cheap macro that is widely available in the midwest. For being what it is and compared to the rest of the style, it is a step above the competition. There is a slightly bitter taste that I was not prepared for but welcomed. Great macro. May have to become my go to beer.

12-22-2008 16:21:28 | More by Mistofminn
bluejacket74

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

12 ounce bottle, served in a Sam Adams BL glass. The beer pours a clear gold color with about an inch frothy white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent. The aroma is sweet malt and grain/adjuncts. Not an offensive aroma, but not exactly pleasing either. It tastes like grain/corn, sweet malt and a bit of lemon and hops. Mouthfeel is light, has a clean finish and isn't watery. Drinkability is pretty good, it wouldn't be hard to drink as a session beer at all. I wouldn't mind having this as a summer/lawnmower beer. For the style, it's pretty good. I think it's a good macro/adjunct lager, the next time I'm in the mood for this style of beer I'd definitely pick this up. It's better than I was expecting, and it's certainly a step up from most BMC beers of the same style.

12-20-2008 01:42:27 | More by bluejacket74
lpayette

Vermont

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance- Bright golden color with a bright white head to match. Crystal clear, and surprisingly a little bit of lacing.

Smell- Adjuncty grainy smell is dominant.

Taste- Hey, this is actually quite surprisingly hoppy. Not bad at all. A very good balance overall. Hints of corn in the finish, but that's not bad for the style.

Mouthfeel- This has a bit more body than your typical "macro" and I like that. Vigorous carbonation helps cleanse the palate very quickly.

Drinkability- Well, gotta admit that I could drink at least a couple of these, especially when hot weather hits. This really isn't too bad at all- definitely one of the better "macros" I've had.

12-18-2008 01:31:11 | More by lpayette
beerhog

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Keep in mind I rate this as a macro. Bell's beer it is not but considering what it is I must say I like it.

Pleasant head thicker than most macros and some lacing. Deeper than normal yellow color.

Nothing stands out in the way of smell but certainly not offensive. Slight malt.

Malt is present in the taste as well as the hops. The hops flavor presents the slightest floral notes. Perhaps a faint bread flavor in there as well.

I don't find this beer to be thin at all. Good carbonation. Not overly dry. Pleasing mouthfeel.

In my opinion the best lawn mower beer I've found to date. No everyday lager from BMC this well made. However at $6.50 a six pack I will probably fall back to PBR. It's not as good but it's good enough and priced right.

12-08-2008 04:13:46 | More by beerhog
JonB1958

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%

Bought a six pack of this for nostalgia purposes.

The first thing I noticed was the horrible smell; the only word I could use to describe is "sour." Smelled like the taverns my dad frequented back in the 60's. The taste didn't suggest that it was a bad bottle, though, so although I can't believe it's supposed to smell like that, maybe...

The color is a deep yellow, very nice and dark. Lots of carbonation and a healthy white, thick head that hung around a while. Good lacing for this style.

The carbonation adds some nice mouthfeel, and the taste is about what you'd expect for a good American macro. If this was the only thing around, I'd not object.

12-06-2008 23:01:59 | More by JonB1958
rhoadsrage

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear body with a hue of golden yellow. Large bubbles glide to the surface supporting a soapy white head that has a fizz sound as it dissipates to a thin ring of white.

S- The smell is very clean even as the beer warms with notes of raw grain and dryness coming though. There is no real sharp sulfur note and the sulfur that does come through is very soft and in balance with the raw grain.

T- The flavor of dry club soda with a faint bitter hint is followed by a raw grain watery note and a slight sweetness at the finish. There is a soft field corn note with the exhale after each sip. The flavor is still very soft but smooth.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a dry carbonic bite that cleans up the finish.

D- This beer is very soft and mellow with very little flavor, however there are no off flavors that stand out so it is very easy to drink. I will have to try this one again as a thirst quencher when it gets to 110 degrees next summer.

12-03-2008 02:31:30 | More by rhoadsrage
bluemoonswoon

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%

Have seen these bottles around Binny's lately and just couldn't keep myself away. Bought a sixer for Thanksgiving and am just getting around to it.

Pours much like any BMC product with a bit more of a substantial head and a bit more lacing. Slightly corny, mild hop kiss, but otherwise listless and grainy, though admittedly a step up from the sickening sweetness of most macros. Less corn, more cereal graininess and just the slightest kiss of fruity hops. Light bodied and fizzy with a crisp, refreshingly dry finish. Not really sure what the BFD is about this beer. Probably a pretty decent option for a macro lager if Sam Adams or Yuengling is not available, but really just an average, though refreshing, macro lager.

12-02-2008 04:44:32 | More by bluemoonswoon
tempest

3.03/5  rDev -14.9%

Ordered a bottle at Palmer's Bar on Cedar Ave. Poured into a pint glass, it appears a clear straw gold. After reading about this beer, my expectations we a little high, but it's really just a better macro lager. The corn element is still present, though there is a quick hint of hops in the flavor and a mix of bready malts with the vegetable notes. Drinkable and certainly a decent macro, if you're into that sort of thing.

11-30-2008 22:31:53 | More by tempest
jbphoto88

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Straw colored beer that is super clear. There is a plain light head that fades to a haze of foam over the surface of the beer and it stays for the duration.

The smell is of cereal malts with a lemony crispness. There is a hint of hops but for the most part it's just a decent beer smell.

Taste is slightly above average. It's clean, it's crisp, it's an American lager. It has the same mediocre flavors as all the others except this one seems to be slightly fresher. There is a malty goodness surrounded by a lemony twang. I imagine all macros taste like this right after they've been brewed but the bottling process and storage/shipping ends up f-ing it all up.

Damn decent beer even if it isn't flashy or big in body or flavors. I like the freshness, it makes me feel like I got my dollars worth and I forget that I am drinking cheap beer. I also love the marketing, with the old school label and the 60's looking posters I really feel like I am drinking a brew that my grandfather might have swigged on. Well done Schlitz, I am a new fan.

11-27-2008 23:59:46 | More by jbphoto88
Greggy

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

A- Pours a clear yellow color with ample carbonation bubbles, a 1 finger white head, and no sediment. IN about a minutes time, the head recedes to a thin cap.

S- A definite grainy cereal note is present as well with notes of *gasp* hops. Nothing huge, but pleasant nonetheless. Sweet maltiness and hints of metallic hop oil are present.

T- Starts out with a pleasant maltiness with a medicinal note, backed by some nice earthy hopiness. The finish has much of the same medicinal malt notes, the earthy hops and almost a dark earthy fruit component.

M- Nice thick feel from start to to finish. The finish isn't overly clean and leaves some residual finish, although it is a bit odd.

D- Gusto? More than any other macro. This is a pretty damn fine drinkable macro. It ranks right up there with Grain Belt, in my opinion. Will drink again.

11-23-2008 04:21:28 | More by Greggy
daledeee

Iowa

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

I must confess. This is the first beer I ever drank albiet it was in cans. I saw a display and an announcement on the bottle "original formula". This was at my specialty beer store. One of the guys said it was not that bad.

Poured just like all macros. Some head and clear yellow. Lace is very weak after all. Nose is disappointing with barnyard and grain. Not appealing

Once I get past the smell the taste is sweet, some malt or grain and some hops. Not bad. Mouth feel is kind of dry on the finish and this beer is drinkable.

11-21-2008 01:47:38 | More by daledeee
LordofTime25

Iowa

4.68/5  rDev +31.5%

Pours to a clear golden color with thin white head that will stay as a pool on the top to the brew. Good Carbonation is present.

Smells ike a clean light hops and light malts blend.

You get a solid malts blended with a good hops taste. Very good!

Has a very clean easy drinking finish. Light bodied.

Asfar as American Macro Lagers go this is the best I have had. Very good and delisish. Could drink this all day long.

11-18-2008 17:56:47 | More by LordofTime25
objectivemonkey

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Into a pint glass, pours a nice light golden color with a nice half inch white head, some nice lacing too, off to a good start. The aroma is small, but can pick up traces of crackers, hops, a bit buttery, and clean. Nothing great, but doesn't detract. The taste is solid, crisp and clean. Pale malt, some crackers, and a nice amount of hops here make the taste above average for the style, with a solid body, light carbonation, and pretty smooth. In all, pretty darn good for a style I loath, wouldn't mind tipping back a few of these.

11-13-2008 03:05:15 | More by objectivemonkey
mynie

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +30.6%

Original formula is stormin' the Cedar Valley, for some reason. They got huge POP in all the bars, even the nice ones. Big display at the Hy-Vee Wine and Spirits, and since I was in the mood for something light so I figured whatever.

Pours High-Life decent. Pale straw color, but the head is really nice and white and surprisingly retentive.

Smells a good sight better than the Schlitz I remember from my youth. I grew up in the 90s, mind. Light straw, hints of grain and hay, and believe it or not there's actually a little kiss o' hop in there. (There, I said it.) Granted, it's faint. Every thing's faint. But nothing is offputting, no adjunct metal or skunkiness or nothing.

Tastes grainy and mealy, like cereal. Decent dose of hops in there, too. Light malt sweetness dominates, bitter hops finish that's actually present, you don't have to squint to see it, it might not be as strong as a straight-up pils but it's still there. It finishes with a grain and yeast aftertaste that's similar to Bud Heavy but without the unpleasant bittersweetness. It--it's pretty amazing, absolutely perfect for what it is but also absolutely perfect by any other standard. The flavor is so astounding, so busy yet balanced, full yet crisp, that I can understand how this style became the norm.

Surprisingly good, easily the best macro-style lager I've ever had. I'd take this over BMC any day, and it even eclipses High Life and Grain Belt.

11-12-2008 02:25:26 | More by mynie
TIP

4.6/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

My son just bought me a 12 pack of the old 60's formula Schlitz. I drank Schlitz back then as a kid and in the army and its every bit as good now as then. At one time Schlitz was the best selling brand in the U.S. next to Bud. Great taste for a non dark beer.

11-09-2008 04:24:42 | More by TIP
cokes

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours to a notably non-fizzy straw-golden with a fluffy white head that shows both retention and lacework. This is what macros look like in commercials and rarely do in real life.
The nose fails to disclose much of anything. Faint cereal grains, corn being one. Dry lemonpepper hops are secondary.
Again with the lightly sweet cereal notes in the mouth. Corn is here, with a suggestion of powdered sugar. Frosted Flakes, maybe? It's not that sweet, though. Some soup crackery pils malt notes shine through. Hops add a dry, unforceful, peppery, grassy bitterness.
Light bodied, but not over-gaseous. Carbonation is steady, but tame and well-mannered.
The hype and hoopla surrounding the '60 formula isn't all smoke and mirrors.
I'd take this over any of its macro peers in a heartbeat. It makes me want to stay up all night, play poker and smoke cheap cigars, and I think that's exactly the point.

11-04-2008 08:57:23 | More by cokes
shroompod

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours crystal clear golden. Small head sticks around for awhile.

Aroma of dive bar. Sweet grains and corn.

Taste is slightly sweet , with a good imagination hops are in their somewhere. A pretty decent taste.

Mouthfeel is light and thin, spot on for style.

Overall a very easy drinking beer.

11-04-2008 00:49:25 | More by shroompod
uwmgdman

3.95/5  rDev +11%

The 1960's formula pours a brilliantly clear straw color with a quickly diminishing white head. The aroma is medium-low graininess, a bit of corn and a hint of spicy hop. The flavor is moderately sweet, a little musty malt, a bit of corn and low hop bitterness. The carbonation is medium-high but beer is still rather smooth. The beer finishes clean with just a bit of lingering malty sweetness. Overall a well done example of the style. Easy drinking but with more flavor than most examples. At $4.99 a six pack, worth picking up, maybe even go for the 12 pack.

10-12-2008 03:12:22 | More by uwmgdman
SargeC

Japan

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: Gold colored brew with a light, white head. Highly carbonated.

Smell: Semi-clean. Light hop aroma with apparent malt.

Taste: Nice, solid malt presence with a mild kick of hops. Great example of a typical American brew. Very good flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body. Leaves a light coating as it is consumed.

Drinkablity: Nice quality, very drinkable and easygoing beer.

09-27-2008 07:59:13 | More by SargeC
kmeves

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a clear yellow with a small white head. Aroma of pale malt, floral hops and just a hint of yeast. Flavor is pilsner malt, light fruit and light hops. Light bodied, somewhat sticky texture. Long sweet finish. Really quite a few steps above any other mass produced pale lager available. This might become a staple in my fridge.

09-04-2008 17:45:56 | More by kmeves
Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)