Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula)

good

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

Brewed under contract for Pabst by Miller Brewing Co.

"Classic 1960's Formula" Schlitz Gusto reintroduced in 2008. 12 oz. bottles, 16 oz. "tallboy" cans, and draft.

Original Schlitz in 12 oz. cans and draft:

(Beer added by: Pauly2X on 08-13-2008)
biggred1

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev +11.8%

Clear, pale golden with a fizzy white head that quickly settles into a thin collar. Smells of untoasted grain and grits with a lemon citrus hop note. Tastes like a better version of every macro lager I've ever had, crisp and refreshing with soft lemon and hay flavors balanced nicely with mild hop bitterness. Medium bodied and well carbonated, finishes squeaky clean. Top of the heap in this category.

05-01-2009 22:15:49 | More by biggred1
jokelahoma

Missouri

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured at Old Chicago in Olathe, KS.

Pours a beautiful gold, clear as a bell. Decent head that laces far better than one would expect.

Aroma is clean as can be. American malt and nothing else. no hop aroma, nor should there be.

Taste is nice. All barley, no corn or rice, and it shows. You listening InBev AB? Of course not. The beer is definitely sweet. Enough I put a shake ot two of salt in mine. But it's definitely all malt, and so much better for it. Clean, crisp, sweet. no hops at all, as per the American lager style. This is nice, in a twisted, no-big-flavor American lager kind of way.

Mouthfeel? Seriously? In an American lager? (yes, I rate to style. So should you!) It's non-existent. This is thin, and should be. Well done for what it is.

This is not the greatest beer EVAR!!!!111eleventy! But it is good for what it is, which is an all malt American lager. Rock your world? Hardly. But it may rock your summer cookout, if you're gutsy enough to let it. Not world class, but perhaps top of its class.

04-29-2009 05:11:44 | More by jokelahoma
DukeofAle

Iowa

3.2/5  rDev -10.1%

I'm old enough to remember when Schlitz was one of, if not the, best selling beers in the USA. "Go for all the gusto you can grab" was the slogan, I believe, ad their adds featured sailors in exotic ports. Anyway, more to the point; Schlitz pours a nice straw-golden color typical of American Lagers. There is little head and what there is rapidly thins to a trace. The taste is mild and not objectionable. The body is thin. There is little in the way of hop flavour or odor - but that is typical of the style. I would say it is a little better than average for this category. I keep some around to have when I'm in the mood for an AAL and for cooking ham.

04-25-2009 23:55:06 | More by DukeofAle
KI9A

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Bottle into pils glass, clear, piss yellow, little head, disappears real fast. zero lace.

S: Slight malt, some citrus, bready.

T: Getting better. First sip reminded me of any American adjuct lager I have ever had. Plain, uninspiring. Then after the second quaff, I realized it actually had a slight hop bite, and some bready/biscuit thing going on.

M: Super clean, crisp. No aftertaste.

D: Very clean, and decent. Easy to nail a bunch of these guys. i normally can't stand to drink a beer from the bottle, but, would have no trouble with this. Will buy again, once it gets hot in here in St. Louis...sometimes, a guy just needs an easy drinking, lower ABV, plain old American macro style lager. This, and PBR do it for me.

04-07-2009 00:09:47 | More by KI9A
bort11

Missouri

3.98/5  rDev +11.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsener glass. Thin white head, quickly recedes. Thin cap sits on the surface. Clear dull straw yellow color.

Smell is a dry biscuit with hint of lemon. Taste is more lemony. Very crisp, finishes dry.

I had a few of these the night before, straight from the bottle. I think beers like these are better straight from the container. There was more of a bready malt character. This is a good yard beer. Not as good as my favorite, Hamm's. but good.

Blipped "Mucho Gusto" by the Aquabats

04-06-2009 01:42:40 | More by bort11
MikeInIowa

Iowa

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

I tried Schlitz. I had seen it on the shelves all my life, but I and so many of the cohorts of my generation were warned that Schlitz was a skunk of beer, and it was not to be imbibed unless one was dehydrated and in danger of metabolic acidosis.

Schlitz used to have a really bad rap -- like Blue Ribbon, Old Style and Old Milwaukee and other beers that are generally not regarded among the high-end labels.

If you think you know Schlitz, you don't. The 1960's formula is well-worth the purchase of a sixer, and I feel that you will be pleasantly surprised. I surely was. And the message here is that we should not be beer snobs about anything out there. Give something a try and if you hate, you hate, but don't let my or someone else's opinion influence your sampling. Give them all a whirl and make your own judgements accordingly.

With Respect for Beer,
MikeInIowa

04-01-2009 20:40:36 | More by MikeInIowa
middlecreekguy

Kentucky

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

The new Schlitz is everything I had hoped it would be and MORE! Like one reviewer said earlier, it tastes like the first beer I remember drinking as a teen. A grainy malt flavor in the back of the palate with a stronger than usual fresh hop bite up front.

I had a few of these back in my college days and I thought it was awful. And it was. But this new brew is on par with Coors, Bud or Miller...if that's saying anything.

Perfect beer to ice down and throw back a 6pk or two during those hot muggy summers in the south. If you like hops like I do, then this is the new lawn mower beer for you.

03-31-2009 15:11:43 | More by middlecreekguy
tjkurz

Wisconsin

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%

I had to call in a favor to get the old time formula - sold in bottles, not cans - in time for the fourth. I was actually shocked by the quality of this beer - not that it was that high quality - just much higher than I expected. I reviewed this side by side with my favorite picnic beer - Pabst in tall boys.

Appearance - fairly deep gold a tad hazy. Head was impressive as left lace through the drinking. Carbonation noticably rising from the bottom.

Aroma - deep grains, some hops, a tad nut

Taste - Flavor actually exists malts near front of mouth - nice bit of bitter hop action at back of the throat - kind of tastes like the first beer I had as a kid.

Mouthfeel - deep and substantial for a macro lager nicely carbed

Drinkability - for all its pluses I can't see drinking all that many of these - maybe its all the old timers telling me schlitz old formula gave a lot of people head aches - but its one of those beers that I don't react well with.

03-28-2009 12:26:46 | More by tjkurz
hoppyhobby

A - A clear crystal clear yellow color with a large creamy white head

S - It smells like it's old advertisement "Just a kiss of hops.".

T - This one is the best of the domestic brews (Miller, Bud, Coors etc.). I'm so glad that they brought this one back as it brings back old memories. They definitely nailed the original flavor and this is truly a session beer in that your can have more than one of while sitting in your lawn chair after cutting the grass on a hot summer day.

M - Clean and crisp. Not overpowering and is one of the best in it's category (a fizzy yellow domestic beer).

D- A very drinkable session (domestic) beer. Please don't let this one go into hibernation again.

03-19-2009 00:57:42 | More by hoppyhobby
Windigstadt

4.38/5  rDev +23%

A: Pours a brilliantly clear pale straw color. A soapy white head quickly dissipates.

S: A nice malt aroma; sweet and bready without any hint of DMS or adjuncts; also none of that astringent, cat-piss-like aroma you get from a lot of macro lagers.

T: A little herbal, slightly hay-like hop flavor up front that quickly gives way to malt sweetness. Very clean and smooth in the middle; a nice malt flavor, not heavy but without any hint of rice or corn. Sweetness gives way to just enough hop bitterness to keep this from being cloying. Finish is medium dry with a slight astringency, but leaving you ready for more.

M: Thin and fizzy; on par for a macro lager.

D: More flavorful than your Bud/Miller/Coors, but not heavy by any means. Definitely quaffable.

Overall: It's really hard to find any faults with this beer. While it's thinner and lighter than, say, a true Munich Helles, it shares many of the same qualities--just scaled down. Overall, however, I'd have to say this is exceptional for its style. Whereas I generally consider the best macro lagers to simply be the least offensive, this is affirmatively good. I would take this hands down over the typical macro swill available at your corner tavern. I really, REALLY hope they start carrying this at my local bowling alley.

02-24-2009 02:32:32 | More by Windigstadt
robbyc1

3.35/5  rDev -5.9%

Had this in a Schitz glass at Mike's Highway Pub on tap.

A--Golden and transparent...slightly darker than pale yellow. Substantial carbonation, nice off-white head with some lace. Not a great look but not bad.

S--Yeah! - takes me back many years to my high school time. Grainy, mild malt with a sweetness, some adjunct noted. A slight nose of hops, not much.

T--There is a smooth richness and maltiness, mildly bitter and metallic at the end. It has about 1/3 of the ingredients that say Sam Adams Lager has, but in the right balance. Adjunct sweetness balances.

M--Light bodied, soft and slick on the tongue, satisfying and much better than most Macro's I can think of.

D--Very nice with food, one to savor of this style. I wouldn't go out of the way for it but I wouldn't kick it out of "bed".

02-23-2009 15:48:59 | More by robbyc1
BierFan

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce twist-off brown bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Snow-white head. Fairly good head retention. Clear golden body that shows off some decent carbonation.

Smell: Aroma of malts and adjunct. I can't tell if the adjuncts are of the corn or rice variety. It might be both.

Taste: Petty flavorful and drinkable for an adjunct lager. It seems more substantial than many others of the same style. I'd probably give it a 4 out of 5 on the taste if it had a bigger bitter finish.

02-20-2009 23:42:36 | More by BierFan
SiphonKing

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

I'm a craft beer and beer snob first and foremost. So understanding that I like a Hopdevil or a good Rodenbach is key to the fact that any good beer can be balanced with the quintessential lawnmower/party beer. As for this beer I give it high marks because it takes a lot to make a beer that will show imperfections as much as a pimple will always rear it's ugly head on prom night. This beer pours clean and clear with a fine head in the right pilsner glass (I happen to own a Schlitz glass). Taste of malt and corn with a light-bodied finish. Not for the hopheads, the Belgian freaks, or the barrel-aged fanatic. This is 1960 in a bottle ready for summer and a stroll through suburbia. So sit back and have a brewski with the bud's and enjoy...

02-14-2009 04:32:01 | More by SiphonKing
larsee01

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

12 oz bottle poured into tall pilsner glass

A--Golden and transparent...slightly darker than straw. Substantial carbonation. Big-bubbled head calming down after 1 min

S--Mild w/sweet adjunct. No big surprise. Grainy and a tad of detectable alcohol. No distinguishable hoppiness. Maybe a bit of iron scent w/ ghosts of malt.

T--Ooh...not bad! There is a smooth richness and malty robustness to this. Mildly bitter and metallic, but essentially neutral. Adjunct sweetness balances. Rich, malty/grainy in finish.

M--Light-to-medium bodied, in the idea that I expected this to be much lighter bodied. Thicker viscosity. Rich and not wimpy. Satisfying.

D--Yes, but not necessarily a slammer. Stop to enjoy it. I get what they're doing here. Obvious parallels in taste, quality, image to High Life...and that is totally fine by me!

01-18-2009 22:11:16 | More by larsee01
cadizkyguy

Kentucky

4.2/5  rDev +18%

What can u say about Schlitz Gusto (the 60s formula in a bottle)? Well, if it was good enough for my late father and grandfather to drink, then I must say it's good enough for me. I was excited when i found out Schlitz was going to bottle its old formula and the beer lives up to the hype, at least for me. I gave a couple of warm bottles of this stuff to my neighbor to put in his fridge, but he couldn't wait and drank 'em warm and he loved them. I prefer to drink my beer cold, and it's pleasure in every sip. Maybe I'm just being nostalgic but I do like this beer enough to give it high marks across the board. It's definitely not the beer Schlitz brews in a can. I picked up a 12-pack at Delock's Liquors in Munster, Indiana over the Christmas holidays and I plan on getting more on my next trip north.

12-31-2008 09:42:08 | More by cadizkyguy
Mistofminn

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

I may have reviewed the normal Schlitz with the 60's formula. Nevertheless here I go.

If this was the same beer, then this must have been a different batch. I liked this much better than the previous bottle I had.

It is a cheap macro that is widely available in the midwest. For being what it is and compared to the rest of the style, it is a step above the competition. There is a slightly bitter taste that I was not prepared for but welcomed. Great macro. May have to become my go to beer.

12-22-2008 16:21:28 | More by Mistofminn
bluejacket74

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

12 ounce bottle, served in a Sam Adams BL glass. The beer pours a clear gold color with about an inch frothy white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent. The aroma is sweet malt and grain/adjuncts. Not an offensive aroma, but not exactly pleasing either. It tastes like grain/corn, sweet malt and a bit of lemon and hops. Mouthfeel is light, has a clean finish and isn't watery. Drinkability is pretty good, it wouldn't be hard to drink as a session beer at all. I wouldn't mind having this as a summer/lawnmower beer. For the style, it's pretty good. I think it's a good macro/adjunct lager, the next time I'm in the mood for this style of beer I'd definitely pick this up. It's better than I was expecting, and it's certainly a step up from most BMC beers of the same style.

12-20-2008 01:42:27 | More by bluejacket74
lpayette

Vermont

3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance- Bright golden color with a bright white head to match. Crystal clear, and surprisingly a little bit of lacing.

Smell- Adjuncty grainy smell is dominant.

Taste- Hey, this is actually quite surprisingly hoppy. Not bad at all. A very good balance overall. Hints of corn in the finish, but that's not bad for the style.

Mouthfeel- This has a bit more body than your typical "macro" and I like that. Vigorous carbonation helps cleanse the palate very quickly.

Drinkability- Well, gotta admit that I could drink at least a couple of these, especially when hot weather hits. This really isn't too bad at all- definitely one of the better "macros" I've had.

12-18-2008 01:31:11 | More by lpayette
beerhog

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Keep in mind I rate this as a macro. Bell's beer it is not but considering what it is I must say I like it.

Pleasant head thicker than most macros and some lacing. Deeper than normal yellow color.

Nothing stands out in the way of smell but certainly not offensive. Slight malt.

Malt is present in the taste as well as the hops. The hops flavor presents the slightest floral notes. Perhaps a faint bread flavor in there as well.

I don't find this beer to be thin at all. Good carbonation. Not overly dry. Pleasing mouthfeel.

In my opinion the best lawn mower beer I've found to date. No everyday lager from BMC this well made. However at $6.50 a six pack I will probably fall back to PBR. It's not as good but it's good enough and priced right.

12-08-2008 04:13:46 | More by beerhog
JonB1958

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%

Bought a six pack of this for nostalgia purposes.

The first thing I noticed was the horrible smell; the only word I could use to describe is "sour." Smelled like the taverns my dad frequented back in the 60's. The taste didn't suggest that it was a bad bottle, though, so although I can't believe it's supposed to smell like that, maybe...

The color is a deep yellow, very nice and dark. Lots of carbonation and a healthy white, thick head that hung around a while. Good lacing for this style.

The carbonation adds some nice mouthfeel, and the taste is about what you'd expect for a good American macro. If this was the only thing around, I'd not object.

12-06-2008 23:01:59 | More by JonB1958
rhoadsrage

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a crystal clear body with a hue of golden yellow. Large bubbles glide to the surface supporting a soapy white head that has a fizz sound as it dissipates to a thin ring of white.

S- The smell is very clean even as the beer warms with notes of raw grain and dryness coming though. There is no real sharp sulfur note and the sulfur that does come through is very soft and in balance with the raw grain.

T- The flavor of dry club soda with a faint bitter hint is followed by a raw grain watery note and a slight sweetness at the finish. There is a soft field corn note with the exhale after each sip. The flavor is still very soft but smooth.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a dry carbonic bite that cleans up the finish.

D- This beer is very soft and mellow with very little flavor, however there are no off flavors that stand out so it is very easy to drink. I will have to try this one again as a thirst quencher when it gets to 110 degrees next summer.

12-03-2008 02:31:30 | More by rhoadsrage
bluemoonswoon

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%

Have seen these bottles around Binny's lately and just couldn't keep myself away. Bought a sixer for Thanksgiving and am just getting around to it.

Pours much like any BMC product with a bit more of a substantial head and a bit more lacing. Slightly corny, mild hop kiss, but otherwise listless and grainy, though admittedly a step up from the sickening sweetness of most macros. Less corn, more cereal graininess and just the slightest kiss of fruity hops. Light bodied and fizzy with a crisp, refreshingly dry finish. Not really sure what the BFD is about this beer. Probably a pretty decent option for a macro lager if Sam Adams or Yuengling is not available, but really just an average, though refreshing, macro lager.

12-02-2008 04:44:32 | More by bluemoonswoon
tempest

3.03/5  rDev -14.9%

Ordered a bottle at Palmer's Bar on Cedar Ave. Poured into a pint glass, it appears a clear straw gold. After reading about this beer, my expectations we a little high, but it's really just a better macro lager. The corn element is still present, though there is a quick hint of hops in the flavor and a mix of bready malts with the vegetable notes. Drinkable and certainly a decent macro, if you're into that sort of thing.

11-30-2008 22:31:53 | More by tempest
jbphoto88

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Straw colored beer that is super clear. There is a plain light head that fades to a haze of foam over the surface of the beer and it stays for the duration.

The smell is of cereal malts with a lemony crispness. There is a hint of hops but for the most part it's just a decent beer smell.

Taste is slightly above average. It's clean, it's crisp, it's an American lager. It has the same mediocre flavors as all the others except this one seems to be slightly fresher. There is a malty goodness surrounded by a lemony twang. I imagine all macros taste like this right after they've been brewed but the bottling process and storage/shipping ends up f-ing it all up.

Damn decent beer even if it isn't flashy or big in body or flavors. I like the freshness, it makes me feel like I got my dollars worth and I forget that I am drinking cheap beer. I also love the marketing, with the old school label and the 60's looking posters I really feel like I am drinking a brew that my grandfather might have swigged on. Well done Schlitz, I am a new fan.

11-27-2008 23:59:46 | More by jbphoto88
Greggy

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

A- Pours a clear yellow color with ample carbonation bubbles, a 1 finger white head, and no sediment. IN about a minutes time, the head recedes to a thin cap.

S- A definite grainy cereal note is present as well with notes of *gasp* hops. Nothing huge, but pleasant nonetheless. Sweet maltiness and hints of metallic hop oil are present.

T- Starts out with a pleasant maltiness with a medicinal note, backed by some nice earthy hopiness. The finish has much of the same medicinal malt notes, the earthy hops and almost a dark earthy fruit component.

M- Nice thick feel from start to to finish. The finish isn't overly clean and leaves some residual finish, although it is a bit odd.

D- Gusto? More than any other macro. This is a pretty damn fine drinkable macro. It ranks right up there with Grain Belt, in my opinion. Will drink again.

11-23-2008 04:21:28 | More by Greggy
Schlitz Gusto (Classic 1960's Formula) from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)