Schlitz Red Bull X. L. Xtra Long Malt Liquor - JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)

Schlitz Red Bull X. L. Xtra Long Malt LiquorSchlitz Red Bull X. L. Xtra Long Malt Liquor

poor

JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst) visit their website
Illinois, United States

American Malt Liquor |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-22-2002)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
MayonakaStout

08-12-2014 02:14:58 | More by MayonakaStout
vwbus7

06-26-2014 01:59:16 | More by vwbus7
302BeerGuy

Delaware

3.08/5  rDev +21.3%

Picked up a 22oz at Angotti's (?) in Batavia, NY. Best beer selection I have ever seen. This is the only time I have ever encountered the "Red Bull". Malt Liquors are definitely not my scene, but this one isn't too bad. I really can't understand why this is classified as a malt liquor when it tasted like a typical American adjunct lager with a higher alcohol content. This probably isn't the worst malt liquor on the market, but it's not great by any means. Would I have it again? Probably not. But if I do see it again, I may get one for grins and giggles.

06-21-2014 00:39:04 | More by 302BeerGuy

2.25/5  rDev -11.4%

02-26-2014 11:25:19 | More by barryjg
thehyperduck

2.13/5  rDev -16.1%

710 mL can picked up at The Beer Store; listed as "Red Bull Strong Beer" at 7.1% and served ice cold. I am pretty sure Sleeman does the Canadian contract brewing for these guys, although this can is labelled as being produced by the 'Red Bull Beer Company' in America. Whatever; I'm not creating a new database entry for this garbage.

Pours your standard clear golden-yellow lager colour, generating one finger of soapy, foamy head that wilts quickly over the next minute or so. Weak, corny aroma typical of ice beers/malt liquors - tons of corn sugar adjunct, with cardboard and boiled vegetables as well in case you get bored of the corn. At least it doesn't smell like alcohol. Alright, let's get this over with.

The first thing that struck me about this beer was the sweetness - a trait that I have found in every malt liquor I've ever tried, and the main reason I avoid this style as a general rule. Corn sugar/syrup is the dominant flavour, with notes of bubble gum, ethanol and silage. Blech. It finishes on a nauseatingly sweet note, with some slight booziness to distract my offended palate. Light-bodied, with moderate carbonation that weakens quickly - be sure to drink this stuff quickly, because you do not want to be stuck drinking a flat, warm can of this.

Final Grade: 2.13, a D-. 710 mL might have been a little ambitious. Red Bull Strong is drinkable... sort of, in the same sense that a charred, well-done steak is edible. Burnt steak has some nutritional value, and this beer will slide down your gullet and accomplish its purpose if you're determined enough. But why punish yourself? I realize I'm not the target demographic for beers like this, but it's possible to make a high-gravity lager that doesn't taste like total shit. Those Molson/Budweiser shots would be greatly preferable.

02-09-2014 23:09:12 | More by thehyperduck

MikeyJ777

06-01-2013 01:58:54 | More by MikeyJ777
Craigthulhu

2.1/5  rDev -17.3%

After a hard day of work sometimes all you want to do is come home and ride the bull.

I stopped at my local convenience store after work, which I frequent due to their large selection of cheap beers and cold Wild Irish Rose bottles, in search of a 40oz tonic to soothe my sore bones. Perusing their 40oz selection I happened upon a name synonymous with great beer: Schlitz. Needless to say I was intrigued, "Schlitz makes 40s....?", I grabbed the bottle and quickly realized this was no ordinary Schlitz, instead this was their 5.9% ABV malt liquor, 'Red Bull'. The label made claims of it being 'Xtra Long', and featured a herculean rust colored bull which would soon be reconstructed into my golden calf. I paid at the counter where the cashier wrapped the beast in a brown paper lunch bag; I wanted to rip it off and throw it back at him, let the world see, I could strut out the doors now kin to the bull stamping the label, the epitome of masculinity.

I didn't bother to pour it to a glass, a beer like this is meant to be consumed directly from the bottle. Cracking the top produced a small amount of soapy head which quickly dissipated.

The nose of the beer while still fresh and cold amazingly had the aroma of beer spilled on an sweltering bar room floor and left to soak into the floor boards. It smelled heavy of corn adjunct and slightly sulfur, like fresh broccoli boiled too long.

My first quaff of the brew produced a noticeable change in my facial expression. Much like the aroma, it tasted heavily of corn, like carbonating and bottling the water you heavily boiled corn in. It was reminiscent of a stuffy barn on a hot summer day, and I was drinking some sort of slop they produced for the animals from rotten vegetables no longer fit for human consumption.

It's carbonation expired quickly which produced a mouthfeel of a nutrient oil akin to some sort liquid bread they may have sent up with some of the first space animals and cosmonauts.

Overall if you are looking for a gritty beer that makes you feel like you live in the basement of Tom Wait's speakeasy, you can't go wrong with the Red Bull.

04-18-2012 19:16:25 | More by Craigthulhu
Hoagie1973

04-12-2012 20:04:09 | More by Hoagie1973
Stashmofo

01-20-2012 10:16:53 | More by Stashmofo
Stinkypuss

2.88/5  rDev +13.4%

Schlitz Red Bull Xtra Long : 40 oz

Poured into an oversized wine glass. Clear straw with a nice soapy foam and no lace. Aroma of corn, standard beer smell, some grains, little to no hops. In the taste, pretty nondescript. Corn, light malt, alittle sweet with almost no bitterness. Very little alcohol noticed either. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied, alittle flabby and watery. Overall, a decent malt liqour, not offensive, but not strong either. Malt Liquor light.

08-17-2011 20:49:44 | More by Stinkypuss
oldp0rt

Quebec (Canada)

This is the kind of beer you would buy for high school parties to get drunk off of because you didn't have much money.

That being said, the taste is not terrible, it goes down easy but there isn't anything special about it.

It's your average malt liquor that comes in a nice can and doesn't cost very much.

Go buy it, try it, add it to your list and then forget it.

04-26-2011 12:42:47 | More by oldp0rt
7beerphil

3.85/5  rDev +51.6%

24oz can into a 16 oz+ Budweiser glass. for what it is meant to be, this one hits the mark. malt liquors are meant to get you feeling good quickly and 2 of these would do just that. goes down easy and doesn't have the offending alcohol taste as other malt liquors tend to have.

11-27-2010 00:10:44 | More by 7beerphil
drabmuh

2.95/5  rDev +16.1%

What is the difference between the XL and the OML? Ah who cares? Apparently I'm getting drunk tonight on Schlitz.

Beer is yellow and clear wiht low carbonation, almost NO head and no lacing. Worse looking than the VSL.

Aroma is mild, corny, boiled vegetables. Not too pleasing.

Its nearly flavorless. Its odd. Slight aftertaste. Kind of grainy. Light in body. Not very interesting. Oh well, VSL is a good beer I swear.

09-03-2010 01:49:25 | More by drabmuh
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

2.63/5  rDev +3.5%

Well, I think Schlitz Original Malt Liquor is probably better than this particular variety, although both of them have a 5.9% alcohol level. This Red Bull Xtra Long Malt Liquor has a medium, white head and a clear, golden appearance. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is semi-sweet and grainy. The taste is strong and corny- no fruitiness here, like other malt liquors tend to have. Mouth-feel is sort of heavy and the beer finishes fairly crisp and somewhat refreshing. I'm not sure I really like this harsh beer, but I can respect its boldness. Sometimes I'd rather have something in the common beer realm with some fierceness to it. I'll say that this challenging product is worth a try.

RJT

06-14-2010 21:26:16 | More by RonaldTheriot
woodychandler

3.8/5  rDev +49.6%

Mmmm, another CAN of AmeriCAN Malt Liquor. I CAN hardly withhold my joy. Here goes.

I got two-plus fingers' worth of foamy, fizzing, popping bone white head that was going down like an express elevator to the basement right after the pour, leaving a lot of sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a pale golden-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was lager-sweet, not bad for the style. Mouthfeel was medium with a crispness that was unexpected on the tongue. It did not taste rushed or skimped on, but was actually kind of pleasant to drink. Finish was slightly dry and a little malty, but still not unpleasant. Given its relatively low ABV, I would put it in the second tier as far as cooler space is concerned. It does not rate moving something else aside, but I would drink it ahead of many of its brethren in the style. I might also feel kind of embarrassed about being seen with it, kind of like the old saw about scooters and fat chicks - they're both fun to ride until your buddies catch you doing it.

05-21-2010 21:28:35 | More by woodychandler
steeler

3.7/5  rDev +45.7%

Grabbed the menacing 710ml can, looks sweet. Just what a malt can should like, tall and with a menacing animal on it. Anyway, i poured this into a pint glass, nice ambery stock malt liquor color, very clear and had a nice white fluffy head. I like. Smells like every other malt, like rotten veggies. Its malt, thats what you get :D. This is an AMAZING malt liquor, booze is somewhat balanced, finishes sweet and not overly boozy, and extremely smoooth. Mouthfeel, thin and slick. Really good drinkability on this one, when its nice and cold. Top 5 malt liquors of all time. Nice and high ABV, great taste, what more do you need?

02-14-2009 19:09:42 | More by steeler
kbnooshay

2.3/5  rDev -9.4%

Everynow and then its nice to venture into a city market store and pick up an economical malt shit liquor. This 22 ouncer was labeled "Red Bull Xtra Long Malt Liquor". The abv printed on the bottle was 5.9%. The beer poured a pours light yellow color with strong carbonation. The white head didn't last long. The aroma is malty, corny and slightly skunked. Virtually no hop presence at all but at the same time there is nothing that unpleasant its just very corn based. Light and caronated feel. This is moderatly drinkable. Im not sure i would do a 40 without wanting to barf but that can be a challenge for another day.

07-25-2008 07:24:07 | More by kbnooshay
CAMRAhardliner

1.88/5  rDev -26%

Pours from the giant 710 ML can a deep gold color with a tiny wisp of a head. The aroma is sweetish with a little bit of malt and some tin and fusel alcohol. The taste is sweet and very boozey for the strength. Medicinal, hot fusel alcohol distracts from other flavors. Some pear like fruit lies in the back. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and cloying. The finish is very boozy.

Not a good beer. Its got way too much alcohol flavor to be enjoyable. If you want Malt Liquor, there are better brands to be had, like OE800.

03-24-2008 22:57:25 | More by CAMRAhardliner
letsgopens

1.35/5  rDev -46.9%

Yes I purchased a 40oz. of this stuff the other day. Mostly because I like to put it in my fridge, then when anyone I live with mentions they are tired I ask if they would like a 'Red Bull'. They usually accept and I hand them the 40oz. I laugh my ass off every time, but then again I'm an idiot. Anyway...

This AML pours completely clear, pale yellow with some sparse rising bubbles. The soapy white head holds okay I suppose and leaves some decent lace; of course I'm pouring from a 40oz. though so the process of decanting is a bit rougher than usual. This may have something to do with the respectable looking head.

The aroma is really, truly awful. I'm not out to tear this brew apart but it smells bad. Bitter, not in a good way, with all types of rusty mineral notes accompanying some mild pale malt. A very dry, off smelling beer to be sure. I'd say it's the beer equivalent of B.O. and garbage water. Very unpleasant once you get your nose in there.

Not quite as terrible as the nose would have you expect, and that's not saying much. Mild pale malt and stale grain. A slight metallic bitterness and tons more adjunct grain; probably rice I would say due to the dry, dirty, dish water flavor. I suppose I've had worse when it comes to malt liquors but this is up there with some of the worst. It's not as bad as Hurricane though.

Crisp but not clean on the palate with a bit of dryness and a lingering grainy texture. Starchy and weak at best. The remnants left on the tongue are unpleasant. I think I've had all I can take; the rest is going down the drain and that doesn't happen too often at my house. Use common sense and steer clear because I doubt anyone else thinks that joke is nearly as funny as I do.

01-30-2008 22:08:28 | More by letsgopens
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Schlitz Red Bull X. L. Xtra Long Malt Liquor from JOS. Schlitz Brewing Co. (Pabst)