Hi-Res - Sixpoint Brewery

Hi-ResHi-Res

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: BeerVikingSailor on 01-20-2014)

1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

1.5/5  rDev -63.9%

2.06/5  rDev -50.4%

Tried this side by side with Resin. Both are equally deserving of poop. This one is more fruity, less piney, but still way out whack. I combined half Resin and half Hi-Res in a glass and that balanced out the pine/fruit somewhat, but still has this greasy alcoholic weirdness to it. No thank you, SIxpoint. I'll stick with Bengali Tiger and Sweet Action.

2.94/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A- Deep copper with a slight haze. 1 finger white head. Decent lacing for the size of this one.

S- Fresh cut grass, spice, florals, biscuits.

T&M- Makes an effort to be as balanced as possible at 11%, but it fails. An overly charred malt base, oddly timed hop spices and resins, and the booze level of a hot mess. It is sticky and full body, but confused throughout.

O- Disappointing. I expected big things but doesn't seem work.

2.94/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Cutely slender 12 fl oz gold aluminum can acquired as part of a boxed 4-pack at a local bottle shop earlier today and served into a Pinthouse Pizza conical pint glass in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current 93 rating as well as the many recent threads about it in the forums. 11.1% ABV confirmed. 111 IBU. 11 SRM. Dry hopped. Reviewed as an imperial IPA; no style is indicated on the label (in annoyingly classic Sixpoint fashion).

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Okay thickness and creaminess. Complexion is nothing to write home about. The consistency isn't all that even. Even tilting the glass, I can't get any lacing to cling to the sides of the glass. Head retention is above average considering the 11.1% ABV - about 3-4 minutes.

Body colour is a predictable clear translucent copper of average vibrance. It's a clean appearance; no sediment or yeast particles are visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Overall, it's standard fare for an imperial IPA. Certainly not unique or special. There are no egregious flaws here, but the appearance isn't getting me all that excited to try it.

Sm: Seems heavy on the pale malts for an imperial IPA. There's some sweet caramalt in there too. The malty sweetness overrides any hop bitterness, but I have to wonder at what cost; this almost seems cloying. I detect some warm boozy tropical fruit character - tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple (ugh), and passionfruit. I have a personal distaste for pineapple in an (imperial) IPA, so I'm a bit turned off. Hopwise, there's also some floral and resinous character. I'm not thrilled by the choices of ingredients here; the hop profile isn't really that attractive to me personally and the apparent sweetness suggests an overabundance of malts. It's loaded with sticky residual sugars and candied character. I'm anticipating a sticky syrupy boozy mess.

No yeast character is detectable. The aroma is strong overall.

T: Sticky, syrupy, boozy mess? Not quite. But damn close. It's not quite as cloying as anticipated, but boy are there a crapload of pale malts and caramalts dumped in there needlessly. The hop profile is dominated by stickly warm boozy tropical fruit notes, the strongest of which is tangerine. I also get a bit of grapefruit, orange, pineapple (ugh), and a more vague fruit - maybe mango or passionfruit. Resinous. I taste honey in there somewhere. Feels candied as hell. I will say it does a decent job at concealing its ABV; I'd guess it was about 10% if I drank this blind.

No yeast character comes through.

It's imbalanced as hell. Frankly it's something of a boozy mess. The build isn't gestalt, nor is it particularly cohesive. Average intensity and duration of flavour. Shallow depth of flavour. Lacks any subtlety, intricacy, or nuance whatsoever. I guess it has decent complexity, but it's far from carefully and intelligently brewed. I'm not a big fan.

Mf: Sticky and syrupy. Boozy. Medium-bodied. Filling. Pretty thick, but not too viscous I suppose. Overcarbonated. Lightly oily. It does have some subtle dryness which works really well. Wet. Unrefreshing. It's moderately weighty. Subpar presence on the palate. The texture only loosely supports the taste; it's far from custom-tailored specifically to the flavours here.

Not astringent, harsh, gushed, or rough.

Dr: I was all ready to love this, but was disappointed after trying it. This beer feels really thrown together. It also has some characteristics I just plain don't personally like in an (imperial) IPA, namely the pineapple notes, stickiness, booziness, and lack of balance. This is a messy brew that'll you get drunk, but beyond that I can't recommend it. I'm a bit taken aback by its current 93 rating, but I recognize most reviewers may not place as much importance on balance in imperial IPAs as I do. That said, it's surprisingly downable for its high ABV; I mean this is far from a sipper, and I could see myself easily downing an entire 4 pack inside an hour and half. That's saying something at 11.1%.

High C