Hi-Res - Sixpoint Brewery

New York, United States

Beer added by: BeerVikingSailor on 01-20-2014

Ratings: 2,002 | Reviews: 355
1.47/5  rDev -64.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.25

yikes. The new batch is more sweet and malty

2.24/5  rDev -46.2%

Tried this side by side with Resin. Both are equally deserving of poop. This one is more fruity, less piney, but still way out whack. I combined half Resin and half Hi-Res in a glass and that balanced out the pine/fruit somewhat, but still has this greasy alcoholic weirdness to it. No thank you, SIxpoint. I'll stick with Bengali Tiger and Sweet Action.

2.35/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

To much power for me

2.45/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

12oz can with a best-by date of 7.12.15

Hi-Res is an overly sweet and boozy mess of an imperial/triple IPA.

Not much interesting (or terrible) going on with the nose: vague tropical fruit notes and resin. But the beer just tastes awful. There's tons of sugar, ultra-saturated pine resin, straight alcohol, and cotton candy. Where are the hops? The mouthfeel is syrupy in a bad way: thick and non-refreshing, and it underscores how sugary and disgustingly boozy the beer is.

It's as bad as Hopslam is good.

2.73/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Look is pure gold, love it. However for my taste it was entirely too sweet with not enough hop profile for my personal taste buds.

2.88/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Decent but a bit more bitter than I would expect.

2.94/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Cutely slender 12 fl oz gold aluminum can acquired as part of a boxed 4-pack at a local bottle shop earlier today and served into a Pinthouse Pizza conical pint glass in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current 93 rating as well as the many recent threads about it in the forums. 11.1% ABV confirmed. 111 IBU. 11 SRM. Dry hopped. Reviewed as an imperial IPA; no style is indicated on the label (in annoyingly classic Sixpoint fashion).

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Okay thickness and creaminess. Complexion is nothing to write home about. The consistency isn't all that even. Even tilting the glass, I can't get any lacing to cling to the sides of the glass. Head retention is above average considering the 11.1% ABV - about 3-4 minutes.

Body colour is a predictable clear translucent copper of average vibrance. It's a clean appearance; no sediment or yeast particles are visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Overall, it's standard fare for an imperial IPA. Certainly not unique or special. There are no egregious flaws here, but the appearance isn't getting me all that excited to try it.

Sm: Seems heavy on the pale malts for an imperial IPA. There's some sweet caramalt in there too. The malty sweetness overrides any hop bitterness, but I have to wonder at what cost; this almost seems cloying. I detect some warm boozy tropical fruit character - tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple (ugh), and passionfruit. I have a personal distaste for pineapple in an (imperial) IPA, so I'm a bit turned off. Hopwise, there's also some floral and resinous character. I'm not thrilled by the choices of ingredients here; the hop profile isn't really that attractive to me personally and the apparent sweetness suggests an overabundance of malts. It's loaded with sticky residual sugars and candied character. I'm anticipating a sticky syrupy boozy mess.

No yeast character is detectable. The aroma is strong overall.

T: Sticky, syrupy, boozy mess? Not quite. But damn close. It's not quite as cloying as anticipated, but boy are there a crapload of pale malts and caramalts dumped in there needlessly. The hop profile is dominated by stickly warm boozy tropical fruit notes, the strongest of which is tangerine. I also get a bit of grapefruit, orange, pineapple (ugh), and a more vague fruit - maybe mango or passionfruit. Resinous. I taste honey in there somewhere. Feels candied as hell. I will say it does a decent job at concealing its ABV; I'd guess it was about 10% if I drank this blind.

No yeast character comes through.

It's imbalanced as hell. Frankly it's something of a boozy mess. The build isn't gestalt, nor is it particularly cohesive. Average intensity and duration of flavour. Shallow depth of flavour. Lacks any subtlety, intricacy, or nuance whatsoever. I guess it has decent complexity, but it's far from carefully and intelligently brewed. I'm not a big fan.

Mf: Sticky and syrupy. Boozy. Medium-bodied. Filling. Pretty thick, but not too viscous I suppose. Overcarbonated. Lightly oily. It does have some subtle dryness which works really well. Wet. Unrefreshing. It's moderately weighty. Subpar presence on the palate. The texture only loosely supports the taste; it's far from custom-tailored specifically to the flavours here.

Not astringent, harsh, gushed, or rough.

Dr: I was all ready to love this, but was disappointed after trying it. This beer feels really thrown together. It also has some characteristics I just plain don't personally like in an (imperial) IPA, namely the pineapple notes, stickiness, booziness, and lack of balance. This is a messy brew that'll you get drunk, but beyond that I can't recommend it. I'm a bit taken aback by its current 93 rating, but I recognize most reviewers may not place as much importance on balance in imperial IPAs as I do. That said, it's surprisingly downable for its high ABV; I mean this is far from a sipper, and I could see myself easily downing an entire 4 pack inside an hour and half. That's saying something at 11.1%.

High C

2.95/5  rDev -29.1%

If you like bitter, you'll like this IPA!!

2.97/5  rDev -28.6%

I get why people like double IPAs. I just can't get behind them.

2.98/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A- Deep copper with a slight haze. 1 finger white head. Decent lacing for the size of this one.

S- Fresh cut grass, spice, florals, biscuits.

T&M- Makes an effort to be as balanced as possible at 11%, but it fails. An overly charred malt base, oddly timed hop spices and resins, and the booze level of a hot mess. It is sticky and full body, but confused throughout.

O- Disappointing. I expected big things but doesn't seem work.

a a aaaaaaaaaa a a

Didn't like this beer at all. Don't understand the hype here. Very medicinal and teasly couldn't pick up the hops.

3.04/5  rDev -26.9%

I don't typically mind boozy beers but this one took it to an unpleasant level in my opinion. Too sweet, too much alcohol...tough to drink the whole can.

3.05/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

After reading great reviews of this beer and at the advice of a local beer shop employee I decided to try this beer.
The look was great and the smell was good.
What gets me about this beer is the way it feels going down. The taste in mouth is not bad. But when you swallow it you can tell it has a very high abv by the way it kind of has a burn going down.
For me that makes a beer that could be great just average.

3.05/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours a dark golden orange with an off white head. Aroma is juicy and fruity with some toasted grains, honey and a touch of booze mixed in. Flavor follows suit, though the malt comes off a touch more syrupy than toasty. A fuller mouthfeel with some activity. Overall, a touch too strong for me in the alcohol component. Hops and booze is just not a combo I care for in my beer. The booze isn't offensive here by any means, but enough to hold me back from being a fan. IIPA's in the double digits in abv strength just don't work for me, I was hoping this could be the exception. It isn't. I'll happily stick with Resin for my imperial IPA fix from Sixpoint.

My rating: 3.00

3.07/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Biggest disappointment at Extreme Beer Fest.

3.07/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours a very hazy, dark golden orange color with tangerine edges and a one finger, frothy white head that slowly settles into a thick, lasting ring. Decent retention with streaks of spotty lacing left behind.

Dank floral hop aroma with a strong earthy, resinous quality countered by subtle fruit sweetness and a subtle pale malt backbone. Sticky hop oils with some soil, grass, pine needle and spruce tip followed by faint grapefruit, citrus and stone fruit. Cracker-y malt backbone with some bread and biscuit. Sweeter malt notes come forward as it warms, giving off some caramel and toffee. Decent enough aroma but could use more tropical/citrus fruit sweetness to counter all of the grassy, earthier characteristics.

On the fuller end of medium body with a blast of dry, earthy bitterness that lingers over the sweet malt backbone into a hot, boozy finish. Sticky hop flavor dominates the palate with hints of dirt/soil and grassy pine needle. Very dry and overwhelmingly bitter. Desperately in need of some sweetness for balance. The subtle tropical/citrus fruit presence found in the nose is completely overpowered. The bitter hop profile is countered by a sweet malt backbone with hints of bread, biscuit, toffee, caramel and roasted nut. The malt backbone us stronger than I usually prefer but in thus beer it actually helps mute the unpleasantly aggressive hops. Strong fuesel alcohol flavor lingering in the finish becoming overwhelmingly hot and boozy. The high ABV isn't well masked at all with tons of ethanol flavor and warmth in the finish. Not one of Sixpoint's finer offerings, in my opinion.

3.16/5  rDev -24%

I purchased a four pack after returning from NYC. The hype about this beer was pretty big in NYC. I think the hype is overdone it is similar to a Dogfish 120.

A - The look of this beer was slightly too red but still very good.
S - Smell initial smell was good but after about 5 mins. (yes, it lasted more then 5 mins) the alcohol smell took over the hops smell.
T - The alcohol overpowered the hops taste similar to a dogfish 120.
M - The feel was good
O - Overall the beer is not one of my favorites but I would not pour it out. I will not buy another in a can. Maybe from a tap next time.

3.17/5  rDev -23.8%

poured into a pint glass out of a 12oz can. smelled like wet medium to large sized dog on a cloudy day. otherwise, not bad

3.23/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Hmm.
Disappointed by the lackluster nose. Or maybe I was just hoping for something disarming and exotic. It's a fine smell, I guess. The taste is pretty sharply boozy with some pleasant maltiness floating around, although the aftertaste is just kind of tongue-smackingly dry and vacant.

Perhaps it was the expectation that ruined this one for me. It's a perfectly acceptable beer and I will look forward to drinking the other members of its family that it left behind in the refrigerator. But when you throw down with 110 IBUs and 11% alcohol there ought to be something spectacular going on, something challenging.

This one is just too easy-going.

3.24/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a Sam Adams glass. Best by July 2015.

Pours golden and clean with decent head retention.

Whopper of an aroma right out of the can. Pine and peppery spice dominate, with a touch of melon.

Whopper of a flavor- matches the nose for the most part, and is hot. Borderline medicinal. It's just a bit harsh for the flavors. There's a bit of malty sweetness as well, and a sticky, cough-medicine finish.

A bit of a disappointment here. This is a big beer, to be sure, but it's just too boozy to really enjoy the depth. It's really only good for getting sloshed- two of these bad boys and I was goofy. Add in the price point ($14 for 4 12-ounce cans) and I'm passing on this one next time.

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Very Harsh IPA, difficult to enjoy.

3.26/5  rDev -21.6%

Too much heat for my liking

3.3/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

The Raul man is kind of tripping on this one. Did someone spike my lil soldiers OJ and did dada just take a drink? Nah, it ain't like that, but is it?

Hmm... Unlike a girl driving a Jetta, this one is unique. It's thick, and, well, nothing IPA like. Raul is sure that this is what the townspeople drank when they thought they world was flat.

As far as the 11.1% ABV goes, this sucker is actually devilishly smooth, so I'll give it that. Taste is ok, yet...

It's not off putting by any means, but it's just not for me.

3.32/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can left in the can. Best before 7/12/14 stamped on bottom of can.

A- from my vantage appears a hazy amber/ yellow. Minimal foam due to a lack of pour i suspect and many present carbonation bubbles.

S- rather aromatic with some pineapple citrus and pine notes; though smell slowly dissipates more than expected.

T- Etoh comes off hard from the beginning. Sweet citrus and some uncomplicated bitter hops shows near the end.

M- Medium bodied, heavily carbonated, bitter and sweet profile. While not thick or syrup-like the 11.1% ABV is barely hidden and overly present in my opinion.

O- a decent DIPS; though with the choices that VT and the world present, i will not be anxious for another. Closer to a tripel in taste and character.

Hi-Res from Sixpoint Brewery