Hi-Res - Sixpoint Brewery

Hi-ResHi-Res

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: BeerVikingSailor on 01-20-2014

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,884 | Reviews: 330
4.19/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I picked up a couple of cans from Vintage Estate for $3.29 each. Was quite excited since I couldn't find this anywhere in Pittsburgh.

A - Quite a deep dark amber brown seems a bit hazy with such a bouquet of head that makes for the most impressive lacing I have ever seen in some time. The whole top of my glass is coated!
S - Well the alcohol smells pretty hidden but it also doesnt smell too bitter or hoppy more of a citrus and lemon hops stank. Smell is also balanced smelling with good malts.
T - Taste is pretty near as perfect as one would expect for a Triple IPA. Smooth bittering bite of pine needles and lemon rinds with no real taste of the 11% that is advertised.
M - Still quite a beast of a beer it drinks very medium to thick in body, very resinous (get it?) and syrup like.

Overall I love the taste to me its one of the best Triple IPA's I ever had and the lacing is something to marvel at as I type my glass is covered in a layer of sticky foam!

Worth picking up if you love bitter IPA's that pack a punch!

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

3.91/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

SixPoint Hi-Res

Poured from a 12 oz can into a CBS snifter. Served chilled.

A) Copper colored brew with a fluffy finger of caramel tinted head. This settled to a dusting with some spotty lacing.

S) Lots of ripe to over-ripe fruits, some booze, flower petal, and distant conifer forest.

T) Near the nose... Quite sweet... Tropical fruit and peaches. The resin is on the finish. Alcohol becomes more apparent with warmth.

M) Full bodied with lighter carbonation. Sappy and syrupy. This will coat your mouth. Decent aftertaste too.

O) Pretty good brew... I would tone down the booze. I preferred this a little colder. Someone told me that I would like this better than Permanent Funeral. Um... Negatory Ghost Rider!

3.85/5  rDev -7.5%

A: A nice golden hue with a slight haze to it, a pretty good off white head at the top that leaves a good amount of lacing around the glass as you drink this one.

S: Lots of fruit on the nose, peach, oranges, mango and pineapple, slight of alcohol on the tail end as well.

T: Almost exactly like the nose with hints of sugar, and perfect combination with the bitterness of the hops on this one.

M: Medium/heavy bodied, slight of carbonation, and stiky as well.

O:A good beer, definitely alot more booze than I was expecting but not bad at all, SixPoint is stepping up their game. Enjoyed this beer, refreshing and easy to find beer in New Jersey as well.

4.02/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - Very hazy, dark orange, small off white head after an aggressive pour. Nice lacing, thin film lingers on surface.

S - Tons of hops, piney resin sweetness, herbal and earthy. There might be some malt in there but I can't tell.

T - Well-balanced. Hops are showcased for sure, but the malt that was lacking in the nose certainly cuts the aggressiveness of the hops and allows a long bittering burn.

M - Thick body, medium carb. Coats the palate and lingers. Forces the sipping technique.

O - This is the smoothest triple IPA I've had. I don't make it a habit to go after beers over 10%, but this is a good one if you're in the mood.

4.67/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Oh, man! Talk about pineapple. The front of this flavor is incredibly tropical fruit.

Picked up four-pack from Cork & Bottle (Madison) since they were freshly out of Hopslam. They said they went through ten cases of Hopslam pretty fast, while Hi-Res pretty much sat inert in the next cooler over.

It's a good looking pour into a tulip glass. Unfortunately, my dinner fights with the first sips of this beer. Plus it's too cold, flattening much of the flavors. What is clear are the ripe fruits in these first sips: navel orange, ruby red grapefruit, and papaya (which, by the way, tastes like Juicy Fruit gum, to me). Over 110 IBU's of bitterness? Check.

As it warms, and as the red chile and pepper-sausage flavors calm down in my mouth, the Hi-Res really performs. It becomes what I like most in a double IPA, namely bitter and sweet to excess.

I'm gonna have to revisit this tomorrow. But I'm pretty sure this has cracked my all-time tops list of big, sweet beers.
---
Update: On tap

On tap at Mason Lounge (Madison). This is some serious pineapple. I'd keep my numeric score the same, I think.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Hi-Res from Sixpoint Brewery