Follow our progress ...

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by BeerVikingSailor on 01-20-2014

Reviews: 398 | Ratings: 2,375
4.68/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is apparently dry hopped with fresh hops, and it shows. Nice clean fresh taste to the hops; not overpowering, and not what I'd describe as "super hoppy," but the hops are displayed in a way that's really delicious.

The beer is smooth and a little sweet, and hides its alcohol well. Might be a little too sweet for some, but for hop lovers (and especially fans of Resin), this is highly recommended.

Very impressed!

4.61/5  rDev +11.9%

This is a phenominal beer.

A-beautiful clear golden color with a hint of orange
S-first crack of the can and the smell is glorious, nice and hoppy, citrus. I dead to pour it out and the majority of the aroma quickly left, leaving behind a sweet alcohol smell
T-the hops shave the alcohol really well making this dangerously drinkable. Sweet to start and rounds out with a satisfying bitterness that is smooth and mellow
M-carbonation is light and not overpowering, leaving room to appreciate the sweet hops
O-this is a great beer, I highly recommend. Be aware that the 10.5% creeps up on you. People have compared this to Heady Topper, while I can see some resemblance, this beer is great in its own right and deserves a try.

4.54/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

What an exceptional IIIPA. The drink-ability is phenomenal. High alcohol is masked well by the balance of hops, look is orangish and hazy. Overall just delicious, will buy again.

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Pours really clear with an orange/honey color with a medium creamy head. Has a citrus hop smell. Tastes of grapefruit and oranges with a sweet malt base. Has a nice clean citrus hop finish. Overall nice and crisp.

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance: pours an orange to amber hue. a big three finger or so white frothy head. moderate retention but huge foamy lacing all on the sides. strong clarity and brightness.

Smell: strong resin, pine and some citrus. malty to caramel sweetness.

Taste: opens with a syrupy, caramel sweetness. hop resin takes over. more bready to toasty malts play in, along with hops with notes of pine and some citrus. some honey-like sweetness.

Mouthfeel: syrupy, and resiny. sweet and with bitterness but not quite what you'd expect with 115 IBU. more sticky than lingering bitter.

Overall: certainly a bigger version of Resin, but I think Resin is the more ideal strength. the increased maltiness is almost too sweet, I like the syrupy feel but I think it needs a bit more hop bite and linger.

4.49/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

What a great IPA, first time having anything from six point. Local store had this in and had to get it. Such an amazing taste and smell, very sweet smelling. Strong taste but so good

4.34/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

So glad to have tried this one. It reminds me of a young Heavy D. Chunky but Funky. Good God, let that resin tickle the back of my throat and remind me why I love IPAs so much. Can I get a witness? Good, God! Oh, yeah, find this brilliance from SixPoint and ask yourself if IPAs are a hobby or an addiction. Citrus layers galore, and I subject you to implore. Mighty, mighty, mighty. A pleasure! SixPoint does it well.

4.97/5  rDev +20.6%

tried the 2015 batch on tap and loved it. Smells like a hurricane of citrusy greatness and the taste only expands on that. One of the best DIPAs I've ever had.

4.02/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is ostensibly a bigger version of Resin. It definitely goes beyond in terms of strength and flavor, but whereas Resin punches your olfactory in the junk with retarded quantities of aromatic compounds and bludgeons your palate with an irresponsible number of IBU's, this is very balanced and leans toward sweet in relation to other IPA. The double is evident in the body and mild booziness. Overall I really do like this beer, but felt as though it dropped the ball. Resin wrecks your palate. This just leaves a tiny bruise.

3.83/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: crystal clear; copper colored; 1 finger off white head that receded to a thin collar; sheets of lacing;

S: white grapefruit with a bit of pineapple;

T: nicely balanced up front; cat pee in the background from start to finish; a little tart and sweet form mid-palate to the end; moderate bitterness after the swallow;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: complex flavors; good, but not a favorite for me;

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Normally when ipas get this high gravity they become very sweet. This one still manages to keep hops as it's first note. The head is small, and the beer has a crisp thin mouth feel.

The only disappointing thing about this beer is the nose. It's got a slight smell that I can only say smells clean.

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Well I certainly was feeling this beer. Whew. Nice clarity. Smooth pine flavor tones. Extremely smooth mix of character and a very easy drinking ale, especially for the high abv on this one.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: pours medium amber color with a 2 finger bright white head that settles to 1/8 inch. Some alcohol legs.
Smell: big pine with some grapefruit and lemon.
Taste: lots of pine and grapefruit but very dribkable. Little bit of alcohol taste for a 10.5 abv you don't really taste it at all. Nice resiny hop flavor with a slight Maltyness that isn't overwhelmed by the hoppiness.
Feel: bright crisp carbonation that lingers a little. Not too heavy very drinkable.
Overall: a really nice example of an imperial ipa. Big hop flavor easy drinkable. Nice job sixpoint on another great brew

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Can poured into Spiegelau IPA glass. Pours a dense golden orange color. Thick head that leaves a thin crown when it subsides. Moderate lacing. Hop scent is muted; the alcohol is present in the smell. Thick feel--the resinous element Sixpoint sought is evident. Given the triple digit IBU count, I expected something more bitter. But the hop bitterness is offset by a syrupy malt and some alcohol-infused sweetness. I like it a lot, but I give a slight nod to Resin over Hi-Res. (9.25)

3.05/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours a dark golden orange with an off white head. Aroma is juicy and fruity with some toasted grains, honey and a touch of booze mixed in. Flavor follows suit, though the malt comes off a touch more syrupy than toasty. A fuller mouthfeel with some activity. Overall, a touch too strong for me in the alcohol component. Hops and booze is just not a combo I care for in my beer. The booze isn't offensive here by any means, but enough to hold me back from being a fan. IIPA's in the double digits in abv strength just don't work for me, I was hoping this could be the exception. It isn't. I'll happily stick with Resin for my imperial IPA fix from Sixpoint.

My rating: 3.00

4.48/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A unique and delicious IIPA. Crazy changing citrus meshes perfectly with hoppy bitterness. Unlike any other double IPA I have tried. Sixpoint's best offering by far.

Edit: The above review was for the 2015 version. The 2016 version was a boozy mess; I remember hearing that Sixpoint tweaks their recipes from year to year. This was several steps in the wrong direction. Gets a 3.8 tops.

4.63/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2016: Much the same, but with some added juiciness and a touch more "dank"-ness, as they say. The changes knock it down a peg, but still one of my favorites!

2015: My only criticism is that it's TOO drinkable. Having my fill would put me on the floor.
Another plus to this brew is how it holds up. I had a number of them over the course of a months, and from first to last I didn't notice a bit of change.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

One of the prettiest beers I have had. A clear, glowing golden orange with a substantial soapy white head that leaves a little bit of lacing.

The aroma is slightly frightning. Alcohol is absolutely noticeable. There is also a nice honey like sweetness and some tropical fruit, with some pithy hops.

It still drinks a tad boozy at times, but not nearly as much as the nose would lead you to believe. There is an assertive bitterness. More so than Resin I feel. However, it is very nicely balanced out by the rock candy like sweetness, melon, grapefruit rind, orange, mango, and a touch of peach/apricot. The piney and spicey citrus hop bitterness is there the whole time, and builds in the lingering aftertaste. I did notice a slight metallic note in the aroma and taste, or I would score higher in both.

Body is oily slick and clean. Sixpoint beers are always so good in this area.

Overall it reminds me of an angry, yet balanced Hopslam. A dangerously drinkable high abv/high ibu beer.

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I live in Brooklyn and work on the same block as Sixpoint, and it baffles me that this was as difficult as it was to track down, but I am very glad to have it in my hand now.
A - Golden amber with good head retention, tall and thick, some nice lacing on the glass
S - malty on the nose, definitely hops coming through, but somewhat hidden by the caramel
T - Big, definitely a ton of hop character - nectarine, melon - but the sweetness comes in fast. Not dry, a bit boozy, but really strikes a nice balance and goes down easy for its 10.5%.
O - I would definitely drink this again. I've had a West Coast Double IPA, a Resin, a Brown Shugga Substitute, and a Sculpin this week and I'd have to take this one over the rest. It's well-balanced, not quite crushable, but close. A bit on the sweet side and not as tangy as some great IPA/DIPA's can be, but very drinkable, with tons of mellow, drupe fruit character, and pretty complex, with waves of bitterness passing as it goes down. glad to be drinking such a big. fine beer and only wish I had a ten fidy to go with it

Incredibly hoppy without the overpowering malt and alcohol flavors that most Double IPAs take on. This is most impressive considering this beer clocks in at 10.5% ABV.

3.05/5  rDev -26%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

After reading great reviews of this beer and at the advice of a local beer shop employee I decided to try this beer.
The look was great and the smell was good.
What gets me about this beer is the way it feels going down. The taste in mouth is not bad. But when you swallow it you can tell it has a very high abv by the way it kind of has a burn going down.
For me that makes a beer that could be great just average.

4.96/5  rDev +20.4%

APPEARANCE - 3-finger head that lasts. Lacing that sticks to the glass. Light, clear, foamy, amber-orange.

AROMA/SCENT - Hops, tropical fruit, citrus, pine.

TASTE - Hops, bitter, sweet, pine, citrus, fruit, apple.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Some carbonation. Smooth, creamy, dry, lingering, astringent, clean, light, crisp, refreshing. ABV near-invisible.

VALUE - 4-pack of 12-oz. cans for $12.99. An absolute steal.

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - Maybe the best beer I've ever had. Would love to suck down the whole 4-pack, though you'd need EMS standing by.

4.84/5  rDev +17.5%

Clean and crisp pour with a tight head that laces off to the collar revealing a bright deep golden hue with hints of Amber that is crystal clear and very appealing.

The nose is subdued and bears a hint of earthy Belgian characters that waft in and out of notice.

The full body of this brew rips across the palate with a sweet and complex but easy character of spice, citrus, pine, and must. Honey and caramel notes linger long on the finish as the core of citrusy pithiness holds strong to deliver a solid triple.

This is not syrupy but very warming. The beer is almost as easy drinking as any sessionable IPA around but the 10% eventually comes through to remind you that this is a serious beer with serious levels of goodness not to be taken lightly.

The difference in formulations from last year to today are quickly forgotten or at least forgiven.

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

Best before 7.12.14, drank 8.23.14, poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

When I first saw that I had accidentally 'saved' my last Hi-res well past its best before date I was hesitant to perform a true review, but after examining the beer I found its appearance, smell, and taste to be relatively spot on to my previous notes. I wouldn't recommend waiting so long, but at the same time, this last can did not seem to be affected.

A: Hazy, honey infused copper with a pillowy white head. Big pitting of the head as it dissolves to a think cap leaving spotty, sticky lacing.

S: Extremely floral, dank pine, tangerine, peach, lemon. Not an extremely sweet or stinging aroma, but pleasant. My expectations were always higher, but the result is not in anyway disappointing.

T: This is what makes me disappointed. I keep hoping that the next batch of Hi-Res I procure will be the one that they finally 'get it right', but so far it just seems that the taste is a result of trying to be too extreme. Sure, I get some tasty piney hop, some chewy, juicy tangerine, but what hits home the most is the alcohol. From the very first time I tried this beer I have always felt that its potentially great taste is crushed by the weight of having to carry 11+% ABV. Its not a deal breaker, but most assuredly a major hindrance.

M: Medium body, has a great mouth weight to it. Sticky, Oily, Syrupy...if all of those are possible together. Light carbonation, just enough to tingle the tongue. The alcohol, provides a gentle warming, and unlike the Taste, I quite like its place here.

O: I will keep trying Hi-Res to see if adjustments are made, but going solely from what I have tasted so far, I can't recommend this beer. Too many other options exist that get everything right to be taking a chance that Sixpoint finally dials it in... or maybe dials it down to a 9.

For those who still go by the old system of tallying a true rating, here are my inputs. A: 4.25, S: 4.0, T: 3.25, M: 4.0, O: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev -0.7%

No can date – drinking at expiration date of 7/12/14.

In the Nose- Good hop aroma with some malt in there – not that complex.
In the glass – Light tan small head somewhat cloudy – are those some yeast chunks I spy? Slightly dark and golden with a light orange hue.

Taste – Medium body- balance to the hop-side as an IPA should be – adequate maltiness with hint of grape (as opposed to wine/sherry etc) and an essence of grapefruit, probably the hops talking here. Leaves a hop aftertaste that’s a bit rough but not astringent so not too bad and maybe good if that’s what you’re after. IMTO (In my taste opinion) definitely an ‘A’ beer but an A-. What can make it better? I like the hop profile of Gandhi Bot, so that, and the alcohol level could be reduced (it shows just a bit) so I can drink more of it.

Parting thoughts – Although not astringent, this did hint at it so IMTO that could make a difference – more noticeable as the glass warms – shouldn’t a beer get better (unless you are after that)? Not bad for Brooklyn!

Hi-Res from Sixpoint Brewery