Hi-Res - Sixpoint Brewery

Hi-ResHi-Res

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: BeerVikingSailor on 01-20-2014)
4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Best before 7.12.14, drank 8.23.14, poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass.

When I first saw that I had accidentally 'saved' my last Hi-res well past its best before date I was hesitant to perform a true review, but after examining the beer I found its appearance, smell, and taste to be relatively spot on to my previous notes. I wouldn't recommend waiting so long, but at the same time, this last can did not seem to be affected.

A: Hazy, honey infused copper with a pillowy white head. Big pitting of the head as it dissolves to a think cap leaving spotty, sticky lacing.

S: Extremely floral, dank pine, tangerine, peach, lemon. Not an extremely sweet or stinging aroma, but pleasant. My expectations were always higher, but the result is not in anyway disappointing.

T: This is what makes me disappointed. I keep hoping that the next batch of Hi-Res I procure will be the one that they finally 'get it right', but so far it just seems that the taste is a result of trying to be too extreme. Sure, I get some tasty piney hop, some chewy, juicy tangerine, but what hits home the most is the alcohol. From the very first time I tried this beer I have always felt that its potentially great taste is crushed by the weight of having to carry 11+% ABV. Its not a deal breaker, but most assuredly a major hindrance.

M: Medium body, has a great mouth weight to it. Sticky, Oily, Syrupy...if all of those are possible together. Light carbonation, just enough to tingle the tongue. The alcohol, provides a gentle warming, and unlike the Taste, I quite like its place here.

O: I will keep trying Hi-Res to see if adjustments are made, but going solely from what I have tasted so far, I can't recommend this beer. Too many other options exist that get everything right to be taking a chance that Sixpoint finally dials it in... or maybe dials it down to a 9.

For those who still go by the old system of tallying a true rating, here are my inputs. A: 4.25, S: 4.0, T: 3.25, M: 4.0, O: 3.75

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%