Hi-Res - Sixpoint Brewery

Hi-ResHi-Res

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: BeerVikingSailor on 01-20-2014)

BGsWo22, Feb 08, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

cistercian12, Feb 08, 2014
4.15/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz can poured into a snifter. Best before 7/12/14 stamped on bottom of can.

A- Pours a slightly hazy amber/ orange with a half finger of white colored head. Some froth and lacing is noted along the sides of the glass.

S- I thought it was going to be aromatic given the initial profile. Some nice citrus aromas are noted, but not as pungent as I expected.

T- Starts off rather sweet before the hop explosion. Notes of piney resin and some citrus are noted in this one, though the pine seems to dominate.

M- Medium bodied, heavily carbonated, bitter with a very dry finish. The 11.1% ABV not really noted at all.

A very nice older brother version of Resin, and one I'm glad I found.

vic21234, Feb 07, 2014

mj81, Feb 07, 2014

Bwagner1122, Feb 07, 2014

Adkins721, Feb 07, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A - Poured from the sexy slim can into an Ale glass. Nice head on a beautifully colored beer.

S - Fantastic smell, lots of citrus

T - I love the taste of this beer a lot. But.... and it is only a relative but.... Having tasted Heady Topper just 2 days later.... you can definitely taste the ABV of 11% in Hi-Res. Grapefruit comes through but does not lead to bitterness at all.

M - I am still not sure how to judge this, give me time.

Overall. Simply an awesome beer and at 11% you don't need many to find that nice place.

donbet69, Feb 07, 2014
3.58/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The beer is golden with a frothy, off white head. The aroma brings spice, hops, alcohol, malt. Sweet and boozy. Hop resin and juice. Sticky on the palate. Medium bodied, coating the palate. This was just ok. More than a small pour is cloying. I'm glad I shared this a few ways.

Huhzubendah, Feb 07, 2014

FutureOBrew, Feb 07, 2014

GoGators, Feb 07, 2014

bootdown21, Feb 07, 2014
3.88/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can was poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: This beer poured a one finger head that reduced to a thin layer. It is a copper color with great clarity and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Spotty lacing on the glass as the beer was drank.

Smell: Fruity, caramel, herbal, toffee, citrus, grapefruit, orange, a little alcohol,

Taste: Herbal citrus hops, pale and caramel malts, alcohol is a little harsh, and typical Sixpoint hoppy bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, boozy, medium to full bodied, sipper, lingering bitterness, and low to medium carbonation.

Overall: This beer got better as it warmed, but the alcohol on the rear was a bit much and tasted ethanol like. A lot of potential up front, but finished sub consumer ratings. Lets hope the other 3 cans are better.

Flounder57, Feb 07, 2014

Ilovelampandbeer, Feb 07, 2014

BrandonSeal, Feb 07, 2014
2.94/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Cutely slender 12 fl oz gold aluminum can acquired as part of a boxed 4-pack at a local bottle shop earlier today and served into a Pinthouse Pizza conical pint glass in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given its current 93 rating as well as the many recent threads about it in the forums. 11.1% ABV confirmed. 111 IBU. 11 SRM. Dry hopped. Reviewed as an imperial IPA; no style is indicated on the label (in annoyingly classic Sixpoint fashion).

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Okay thickness and creaminess. Complexion is nothing to write home about. The consistency isn't all that even. Even tilting the glass, I can't get any lacing to cling to the sides of the glass. Head retention is above average considering the 11.1% ABV - about 3-4 minutes.

Body colour is a predictable clear translucent copper of average vibrance. It's a clean appearance; no sediment or yeast particles are visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Overall, it's standard fare for an imperial IPA. Certainly not unique or special. There are no egregious flaws here, but the appearance isn't getting me all that excited to try it.

Sm: Seems heavy on the pale malts for an imperial IPA. There's some sweet caramalt in there too. The malty sweetness overrides any hop bitterness, but I have to wonder at what cost; this almost seems cloying. I detect some warm boozy tropical fruit character - tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple (ugh), and passionfruit. I have a personal distaste for pineapple in an (imperial) IPA, so I'm a bit turned off. Hopwise, there's also some floral and resinous character. I'm not thrilled by the choices of ingredients here; the hop profile isn't really that attractive to me personally and the apparent sweetness suggests an overabundance of malts. It's loaded with sticky residual sugars and candied character. I'm anticipating a sticky syrupy boozy mess.

No yeast character is detectable. The aroma is strong overall.

T: Sticky, syrupy, boozy mess? Not quite. But damn close. It's not quite as cloying as anticipated, but boy are there a crapload of pale malts and caramalts dumped in there needlessly. The hop profile is dominated by stickly warm boozy tropical fruit notes, the strongest of which is tangerine. I also get a bit of grapefruit, orange, pineapple (ugh), and a more vague fruit - maybe mango or passionfruit. Resinous. I taste honey in there somewhere. Feels candied as hell. I will say it does a decent job at concealing its ABV; I'd guess it was about 10% if I drank this blind.

No yeast character comes through.

It's imbalanced as hell. Frankly it's something of a boozy mess. The build isn't gestalt, nor is it particularly cohesive. Average intensity and duration of flavour. Shallow depth of flavour. Lacks any subtlety, intricacy, or nuance whatsoever. I guess it has decent complexity, but it's far from carefully and intelligently brewed. I'm not a big fan.

Mf: Sticky and syrupy. Boozy. Medium-bodied. Filling. Pretty thick, but not too viscous I suppose. Overcarbonated. Lightly oily. It does have some subtle dryness which works really well. Wet. Unrefreshing. It's moderately weighty. Subpar presence on the palate. The texture only loosely supports the taste; it's far from custom-tailored specifically to the flavours here.

Not astringent, harsh, gushed, or rough.

Dr: I was all ready to love this, but was disappointed after trying it. This beer feels really thrown together. It also has some characteristics I just plain don't personally like in an (imperial) IPA, namely the pineapple notes, stickiness, booziness, and lack of balance. This is a messy brew that'll you get drunk, but beyond that I can't recommend it. I'm a bit taken aback by its current 93 rating, but I recognize most reviewers may not place as much importance on balance in imperial IPAs as I do. That said, it's surprisingly downable for its high ABV; I mean this is far from a sipper, and I could see myself easily downing an entire 4 pack inside an hour and half. That's saying something at 11.1%.

High C

kojevergas, Feb 07, 2014

RayOhioFelton, Feb 07, 2014

Cubatobaco, Feb 07, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

ChadJAMES, Feb 07, 2014
4.43/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - orange amber, nice lacing, one finger head of fine bubbles diminished to a persistent layer of fine bubbles on top.

S - resiny pine with sweetness...thickness in the nose but not heaviness. An inviting smell that taunts you that there's something going on here.

T - Balance. Alcohol undetectable. Hop presence very definitely heavy but not overwhelming. Citrus. Resiny pine. A hint of sweet on the backend. No bitter aftertaste. Not enough hops to burn me out...i can keep right on rolling this one around and it keeps giving, unusual for an IPA. I am very impressed and I am not easily impressed. Thank you BA.

M - rich. Carbonation matches the beer.

P.S. it's fifteen minutes after I started and I can detect the alcohol now...

stonewall2, Feb 07, 2014