Follow our progress ...

Style: American Barleywine

Added by BeerWorld on 03-07-2014

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 3
4.65/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks for my friends at Sixpoint for this one. Great work!

Appearance - The barleywine poured a black color with a very slight mocha colored head. Carbonation was minimal, with lacing on the sides of the glass after each sip.

Smell - Of course, the bourbon from Willett bourbon barrel aging comes through in the aroma, but I also detect notes of butterscotch sweetness. The aroma is more diverse than just bourbon.

Taste - On the initial taste, I detect caramel, toffee, whiskey, dark fruits, and nice sweet malts. The sweetness makes me think this angles more toward an English barleywine (which is my personal preference). The sweetness of the malts toward the end of the initial is what really hits this out of the park for me. In the aftertaste, the warming sensation is accompanied by burnt sugar.

Mouthfeel - The thickness of the barelywine is one of the highlights. Stout-like in density, the barleywine coasts the tongue allowing you to appreciate the diversity.

Overall - To my friends at Sixpoint, this is my new favorite beer from you guys.

Barrel Aged Old Redhooker from Sixpoint Brewery
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.