Bengali Tiger - Sixpoint Brewery

Bengali TigerBengali Tiger

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 04-22-2005

The original Sixpoint homebrewed IPA formulation, first brewed in 1999 and released commercially in 2005.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bengali Tiger Alström Bros
Reviews: 584 | Hads: 2,267

I CAN only hang my head in shame - I have been bested at mine own game. First, I planned to allude to "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" by The Tokens until I realized that it was the wrong animal! Then, I fell back to Wm. Blake's "The Tiger" until I pulled up the text of the poem and remembered the lines which were semi-quoted on the CAN! Bugger all, m'lord! Thank goodness it did not take place on a Friday when my poetry association would be meeting. What's that, Jeeves? TODAY IS Friday !?! Oh, the shame, the horror of it all. Lord Steve Carr would be so disappointed in his charge ...

From the CAN: "What immortal hand or eye. Could frame thy fearful symmetry? [Wm. Blake] Strides forward with a malty cadence, then leaps with a wave of bitterness. Slashed with a giant paw of citrus, pine, and resin! Note the lacing of stripes around your glass it is the mark of the Tiger."

Oh ho, El Tigre is in the glass! He is a tawny beauty, following the Crack & Glug and he understands that while he is powerful, Woody is the Master of the CANQuest (TM) and he may not unleash the full fury of which he is capable without the possibility of a drainpour. The mere mention of which makes him pull the two tawny fingers of his tail back upon himself, leaving heavy tracks in its wake. His body is long and sleek, a deep orangish-amber with the slightest of haze, as though to add to the distraction. What distraction, you ask? His musk! He smells like a pine forest, where he likes to hide and roll around so that he takes on a resinous quality. "The better to fool you with," he snarls, baring his bitter teeth and their attendant breath. This tiger has no culture and it will be left to me to tame him. Aaaagggh! From the instant that he is in my mouth, he is clawing and thrashing around, his intense bitterness taking no prisoners, initially, until the natural malty pheromones and adrenalin kick in and Woody again has the upper hand. Finish is strangely soothing, tea like in its lack of intensity following the initial attack. Sadly, it is of no matter, as the two of us will be locked in immortal combat with no quarter asked and none given. We will be in this cage until the end of beer, each trying to best the other with no outcome in sight. Or maybe I'll opt for Door # 2, the one with the Lady, vice the Tiger ...

An American IPA with almost a little bit of a Belgian touch. A complex yeast, malt, hops and citrus scent and flavor permeate through the nose and mouth.

Appearance is a slightly murky, yet glowing amber. Not much of a head, but very smooth in appearance, almost milky.

Smell as mentioned is phenomenal. I spent 3 minutes sniffing the empty can I poured out of before tasting it.

Taste is slightly sweet and citrusy, a nice snappy and spicy hops kick, a robust amber malt body and some complexity coming off of a combination of all these elements. Interestingly with such a strong character of flavor, this doesn't linger bitterly on the pallette, but finishes off smooth and clean, somewhat dry.

Mouthfeel is fantastic. Very smooth and silky, but with nicely balanced carbonation.

An incredible beer, very flavorful, nice character and easily drinkable, though its sophistication asks of you to nurse it and savor it.

4.84/5  rDev +23.5%

This is the best beer I've had in a can. Screw Oscar Blues. We just got a new can king.

This beer is for: Anyone trying to keep it classy while tailgating, a river rafting group, trying to fit in with your uncle who you like despite his affinity for Natty Light.

4.83/5  rDev +23.2%

One of my favorite IPAs. It has a gorgeous orange color (perhaps where it got it's name?) and a wonderful aroma. The pint cans are a refreshing change from the norm, and it's nice to get a full pint per serving of a great beer like this. I have enjoyed every beer I've had from Sixpoint, and Bengali Tiger was no exception. The usual piney overtones of an IPA, but wonderfully balanced with a smooth finish. As soon as I finished this beer,l I wanted another one!

4.82/5  rDev +23%

Appearance: Golden cloudy copper color that has a nice froth and lace

Smell: Malt and HOPS, HOPS and more Hops. Very nice smell of hops with a slight fruity undertone.

Taste: The can description hits it right on the nose. Malt taste followed by a wave of bitter hops, pine and citrus. Incredible character of hops but very smooth at the same time. A bit of a bitter finish
One of the best IPAs you can buy. Highly recommend

4.81/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

16oz can poured into a pint glass. Pretty unique to see a 4 pack of 16oz cans. Labeling and design of the can are great, including the barcode that resembles the NYC skyline.

A: Hazy with accents of light golden and copper tones. Even with the cloudy nature of the beer, you can see a steady stream of carbonation. A nice 1.5 half finger head that is sticky with interesting stripping on the glass's side (lives up to it's name)!

S: A snap of citrus and piney hops as soon as the can is opened. Intense grapefruit, ester, bread notes with stinky, dank hop notes underneath.

T: A bit sweet at first, but intense hop bitterness follows immediately with an earthy, piney, and tobacco flavor. There's some nice tangerine and pineapple sweetness that temporarily mutes the bitterness. The malt imparts it's own gingerbread type sweetness, but the initial hop bitterness penetrates through the whole sip and lingers on the tongue.

M: Very similar to a grapefruit in that there is some sweet, watery moments but overall there is a bitter, drying effect as well. It all plays out nicely, at times it's a super bitter, full bodied ale that backs off just enough with splashes of lighter bodied freshness and relief.

O: A strong effort from a brewery that has never disappointed, in my opinion. Complex, highly drinkable while maintaining an intensity and full-bodied profile that is memorable. More and more we're finding extremely high quality and challenging beers in cans and this is no exception. Top to bottom, this is a visually pleasing, aromatic, excellent tasting beer.

4.79/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From a one pint can.

Aroma is citrus and new mown grass. Pours a deep orange amber with a full foamy beige head. Head lasts a goodly time and lovingly laces the glass. Taste is full on citrus hops , crisply satisfying! Very pleasant aftertastelingerson the palate.

4.77/5  rDev +21.7%

A - Bright, vibrant orange with a mammoth white head, couple fingers deep. Frothy, sticky head that laces really evenly and very well. Impressive.

S - Aroma is of a ton of hops and of orange and orange rind. Somewhat yeasty.

T - Follows the nose and so pleasantly. Plus major cardamom flavor. Hoppy as hell. Awesome. Tastes like a beer made in Brooklyn and I'm so glad for that.

M - Medium bodied, not very dry at all, but carbonated perfectly. The hops are blowing me away.

D - Will definitely get this again. I think this was only 8.99 a 6 and it could easily be 11.99 a 6. This is a solid, solid brew. A+ in my opinion, and my first encounter with Sixpoint.

4.77/5  rDev +21.7%

Quite an outstanding beer, having it on nitro-tap made it even better. The head was air-tight, rich and full of BIG hop aroma.

The taste was exceptional, full of floral and grassy notes, with citrus on the way out, simply outstanding. There was no cloying bitterness, however a welcoming blaket of hops as I finished each sip.

It was very light for such a big beer, even sessionable if I do say so myself.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

got to sample this can from one of my all time favorite breweries sixpoint everything i had so far from them i have either liked or loved i have not had a bad experience yet

ok here she goes the appearance is awesome super nice big fat head on this one and the lacing is outstanding

aroma like a huge pine forest smell and there is some citrus fruits in there as well i also detect some biscuit and bready malt character

taste is real subtle on the back end i taste a lot of super fruit bitter hops upfront then on the back end less of the hops and more the nice subtle bread character

mouthfeel light in the carbonation but just enough to make the hops sing

overall this is one of the best ipas i had recently and one of my favorite beers from sixpoint so far

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love Six Point Resin, so wanted to try this. This is pretty tasty. Nice and smooth hoppy taste complimented with an amber color. Would get again in a heartbeat.

4.73/5  rDev +20.7%

16 oz can poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint
6.4% ABV, 62 IBU, 13 SRM, Best before 12JAN2013 on bottom of can

A - Sexy from head to tail, the foam rises to the occasion, completely covering the pint with delicate but chunky lace as it slowly falls to a plateaued pile of suds. Below is well-carbonated and moderately hazed pint of shimmering golden orange beer that looks incredibly delicious.

S - Bengali Tiger shows it's east-coast influence with moderate earthy notes from the hops rather than the explosive citrus from the west coast. Mild fruit attributes do emerge though, gently suggesting peach, grapefruit, and dried apricot. Like walking through a field of wheat, the nose has a farm-like refreshing characteristic of soft hay and pale male with a dribble of caramel finish for great balance.

T - Malt isn't an afterthought in this IPA; it's a brilliantly constructed base; a playground for hops. Toasted bread and biscuit notes are laced with honey and caramel but the real treat is the quick, feline-like attitude change to hops. Tree bark and pine resin earthiness overlap the undertones of fruit found in the nose.

M - Medium-full bodied, Bengali Tiger is a smooth-drinking IPA with moderate carbonation, a dry-hopped dry bite, and lingering bitterness, snapping out like a retractable claw, all coming together for a fantastic experience.

O - Sixpoint Bengali Tiger asserts it's bitterness and hop glory in a smooth, fluid fashion, balancing against the tasty malt backdrop. Quite flavorful and forward, this IPA remains drinkable while satisfying the hop-head in us all.

4.73/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

SixPoint - Bengali Tiger - 16fl oz

Look - Can means business. Pours a hazy darker amber and then settles. Full, frothy head. Negligible carbonation.

Smell - Hops over malt, some citrus pine. Scent is overall subtle.

Taste - Tart malty bite with hoppiness around the outside. Spice, citrus (pine), and resin abound.

Mouthfeel - Once the initial wave passes, hops rest on the sides. Citrus (pine) and resin rest in the back of your throat. Smooth but hearty.

Overall - Quite a unique and flavorful brew. One of SixPoint's finer brews.

4.7/5  rDev +19.9%

We pop the tab and pour a brew of dark tawny, and dirty orange. The color is not uniform, moving at points towards the lightest brown. It holds a one finger head the color of cream. This recedes at a medium pace into a soft and creamy film around the top and edges of the glass. Lacing is pretty and patterned, sitting thick. There is a thick haze, but no sediment is noted. Carbonation appears standard. The aroma explodes with an insane array of inviting and unique components. Off the top there is a leafy tobacco component, with fresh aloe leaf. The hops are equally as potent, with a dry, grassy, hay-like nose. The malts are clean and pale, with flecks from a more tart, more drying, rye. On the far back, and with warmth, comes cumin and a metallic softness from a vegetable cream soup. As we sip, the leafiness of the nose becomes immediately apparent. Malts are strong of barley and rye, while the hops speak of herbal twangs and tannins. The middle drives forward with an orange and peach sweetness, with bittering rind to cut and balance. The finish is of steely grain affording further bitterness, and a grassy barnyard hop. The aftertaste breaths of spices of far eastern cooking, graininess of dirty malts, minerals, and those leafy hops that were present throughout. The body is medium, with a pleasant thickness, with the carbonation reaching medium to high, but not going overboard. There is a beautiful slurp and creaminess to each sip, with a contrasting chewy and gritty feel. The mouth is coated and cooled, with a partial drying character to make for a very satisfied mouth. The abv is appropriate, and this beer has immense drinkability.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this beer was the inclusion of those weird spices, and the leafiness. This was available in both the nose and the taste, making for something wildly unique for any style of ale. The hops and malts were also both pleasing, striking a fine balance. On top of all of this, the feel was dynamic, with both soft and robust components, putting this beer over the top for us.

4.69/5  rDev +19.6%

On tap at Sunset.

Wow! This beer is fantastic. An instant favorite, especially among American single IPAs. This is a category that's glutted with mediocre beers, and along with the Deschutes Inversion, this is one of the more interesting, complicated IPAs on offer.

A fantastic, hazy, orangey-brown color -- slightly opaque, which seems to be a Sixpoint trademark. A delicious nose: all kinds of herbs and summer fruit balanced by a strong but not overly-assertive bitterness. Well-rounded hoppiness in the taste -- East Coast breweries! steering clear of the Pine-Sol flavor that seems to be all the rage on the West Coast. A surprising depth of flavor that stays constant long into the aftertaste without an overly-malty bitterness on the finish.

All in all, a fantastic brew from one of the best breweries in the U.S. I would buy this beer in six packs if Sixpoint bottled their beers. I would buy them by the case.

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%

Mmmmm... Tried this first at my local's IPA tasting. It won in my opinion. Very nice ale with them citrusy, piney hops that I so adore.

16oz can (love that we're starting to see fine ales in cans, as I'm an outdoorsman) poured into a 20oz "Liberal Pint" glass. Cloudy, amber, unfiltered. A fine looking brew. My nose may be failing me, as the aroma of this dry-hopped ale failed to wow me.

The first sip did not fail. Nor did subsequent sloshes. Light lacing (sorta tiger stripes I spose) as the fine flavors seep to my soul.

Yep, there's a new brewery in town (Brooklyn!) and they're serious. New to me anyway as I'm in Boston, but several weeks back, on a visit to NYC, I tasted a gravity-poured Sixpoint Signal Rauchbier at the Blind Tiger. It was to die for.

Cost was $10/4 16oz cans. A little high but no regrets.

4.67/5  rDev +19.1%

Ok, so I had to discard my "buy in can, drink from can" rule for this one. Primarily because they even assume that you will use a glass in the description ("[...] the lacing of stripes around your glass [...]").

BUT, I must note, that I am reviewing this beer on the second round which I decided to drink straight out of the can - let me just say, the glass provided the appearance and smell from the head, but the can gives the rest!

A - I almost shed a tear. Bright cloudy orange color - just as it should be! The head was decent for an IPA, and receded fairly quickly as expected from an IPA. Although I have only one [very] minor problem...where's that lacing that they talked about?!

S - Then a did shed a tear! SO FRUITY and HOPPY! Just what I wanted to smell. Nothing off the wall or unexpected really, but what makes this beer's smell so amazing is that it is so powerful! It smells like I just cut open an orange right in front of me whilst brewing an earthy tea. which happen to be two of my favorite things. Seriously, this beer smells like its rocking! Maybe that's mostly because you don't expect that to come from a can!

T - Like orange rind, kumquats (no, that's not a joke. yes, that is a fruit.), grapefruit, covering bitters from the hops. and it is hoppy, just well complimented by the fruitiness. Kind of reminds me of Smuttynose's Finest Kind.

M - Creamy? That certainly is not expected, but it kind of is. Yet, it is also very smooth and drinkable; and unbelievably refreshing when chilled! When it warms up a little it's not as refreshing, but you seem to be able to pin-point the flavors and notes much easier.

O - Honestly, I have always had the ignorant opinion of not caring anything about Sixpoint and since Brooklyn Brewery had already won me over. BUT, this one makes me want to try more! Still, there's something about this beer in a can that makes it fantastic. It might become the new canned-beer-favorite for me. I could easily blow through a 4pack of these and I can't wait to have a few with my family over the summer. But I was planning on getting a case of Brooklyn Summer Ale? Pshhh!! This trumps that completely! I need to get my hands on a case of Bengali Tiger for my summer vacation.

4.64/5  rDev +18.4%

Wow! This is a fantastic, very drinkable IPA. I love this, and will make sure I always have some on hand.

Great grapefruit nose that I can smell from a foot away.

The taste matches the smell. Pretty citrusy hop forward with a pretty subtle malt backbone. Very little sweetness or taste of alcohol.

If you're a hophead interested in a session IPA, give it a try. Very impressive. I could drink this all night long.

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

The pour was just wonderful. Clear as day with a rich orange tinted amber color that held together very well. Nice two inches of head on top quicky settled down to a thin film which thoroughly coating the entire inside of the glass to the point nothing could be seen inside. The I lean in for a whiff. Holy citrus knockout. This thing is a cannon of hops. Rich orange and tangerine notes lined with loads of pineapple and grapefruit. This is just insanely fresh. Even warming does nothing to depart from the super fresh hops that are just owning my face right now. Intense is not even the right word for it. Crisp and clean taste offers more of the same, just intense and crisp, hop flavor all over the place. Pineapple and grapefruit dominate, clean dry finish with super sticky resin like flavors, not an ounce of balance here and none needed.

4.61/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

On a whim, I tried this at one of my favorite eateries in the city. A tall boy in a can with a name like "Bengali Tiger"? Something was up.
I could not have been more surprised, in a good way no less. Poured into a typical pint glass, this beer really opened up both in head and aroma. The head is thick and pillowy, leaving lots of lacing and striping (ergo the name). The aroma really punches you in the nose and encourages you to bring it in and experience more of it.
The taste can grab you. Lots of hops, but not too fruity. Lots of malt without being lost in the hops. Lots of bitterness but not so much that it can blind you, and the underlying sweetness adds balance.
I have since procured a half-barrel of this to have at home. On tap, we all agree that it is slightly more tame and, if possible, even more drinkable.

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

Alright more beer in a can and more Sixpoint! The first one I had from them was absolutely awesome. Hoping the Bengali does not disappoint me here.

Poured out of my can into my glass and wow! Huge nice perfect big white head. It stuck on the glass all the way down. Perfect nice hazy orange color. Big bold massive hop aroma there too. Wow, this is interesting and enticing.

Tasted awesome! Nice citrus and pine flavor and lots of bready malt. Almost like breakfast toast with preserves! :-)

Amazing mouthfeel. Creamy at the same time bright and refreshing.

Overall, this is one awesome refreshing brew. It absolutely hit the spot on a hot day.

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from a 16oz can into a pint glass, the beer is a bright orange-copper coloring, hazy and opaque, with a two inch frothy, foamy, bright white head that sits lightly atop the brew. Holy crap does this smell good! Aromas of a sweet citrus blend, with discernable orange and grapefruit characteristics, as well as a heavy dose of green, leafy, resinous hops. Almost a hint of marijuana in there, too. Smells amazing! Flavors hit you with a more foresty/cedar hopping, with a sharp bitterness at the end, balanced (somewhat) with the citrus tartness and a caramel malt sweetness. The balance is more hopcentric, but that bodes well in my house. The finish is mostly hoppy, with slight hints of the citrus tart and sweet. The finish is a little clingy, with some citrus highlights and hops spicing. The finish is unique, because it is clingy, but also crisp. Very tasty beer!

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

On cask at Sunset Grill/Tap in Allston.

Golden amber body with a lot of white head and lacing.

Floral hop aromas very noticeable.

Taste is rather mild, but in a good way. Some sweetness up front followed by some hop bite. Very nice.

Good mouthfeel, and great drinkability. Very smooth, very balanced and tasty. I could drink this all night.

My first sixpoint brew, and I'm very impressed.

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had it at Posto in Somerville Square. Had it on tap as it poured a golden copper color. Nice lacing. It had a smell, but for the life if me I don't know what it is. Had a great hoppy taste. Fantastic malty blend, but it is the crispness of the drink and hoppiness that hits home. Very refreshing beer that doesn't seem like a show stopper for the night sitting at only 6 percent. Good stuff

4.55/5  rDev +16.1%

thanks to dmeadows for this one! 32 oz growler into pint glass. This beer has eluded me for the most part- I've had a sip or two but have never gotten a full glass.

A- Glowing amber, large bubbles, nice 1cm ivory head that settles. Lively carbonation.

S- Simcoe? Dank pine.

T- Sweet caramel malt and a bright, vibrant fruity hop bite. Immensely flavorful. Hops are also floral, a bit earthy/resiny, very bitter. The bitterness builds.. it's titanic for a 6.5% beer. Malt is very sweet but is cut by the bitterness. Almost a half-mast burton baton- malt is wonderful.

M- Nice malt flavors really compliment and build upon the hops- very well balanced. Oh so drinkable.

O- Very impressive. I'm surprised this one's rated @ ~4.0 . This is a very tasty IPA- can't wait for it to hit cans. A must-buy.

Bengali Tiger from Sixpoint Brewery