Bengali Tiger - Sixpoint Brewery

Bengali TigerBengali Tiger

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 04-22-2005

The original Sixpoint homebrewed IPA formulation, first brewed in 1999 and released commercially in 2005.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bengali Tiger Alström Bros
Reviews: 583 | Hads: 2,255
3.13/5  rDev -20.2%

Meh.

A: Cloudy orange bodied brew topped by a 2+ fingered soapy white head. The head displayed solid retention and lacing.

S: I could smell the hops spewing from this beer several feet away! The floral notes were accompanied with pine, bready notes, and citrus

T: I was really looking forward to this, but was met with disappointment. The front was good, but the flavors quickly dropped off and were met with medicated bitterness.

M: Well carbonated

O: Will not be seeking out again. (488 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -20.4%

Pours an amber color with a slight earthy hops aroma which is pleasing but not usually expected for the style (usually piny/fruitier hops). Taste is initially dominated by slick/sticky hops which linger on the tastebuds. Here's where it loses for me. Resiny hops taste lingers and lingers, which I cannot stand. Why make a beer if you really can't taste and enjoy another one after your first. Some English malty breadiness attempts to help balance out the brew but ultimately fails to the hop dominance. Beer crys for a larger malt bill but maybe that's just me. Maybe I am just burnt out on American IPAs... (609 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -20.7%

Bottom of can says best before Nov 17, 2011

A - Slightly hazy light brown/dark orange in color with a thick egg-shell white head, very foamy and lasts.

S - Faint muddied up hop aroma with hints of tree resin, lemon grass, orange zest. Slight malt sugar smell in there as well.

T - Sweet to start off with with a hop cloying in the middle. Flavors of pine, tree sap, hop resin, and light citrus. Finishes a little tangy, probably from the expiration date passing.

M - Medium body, slightly under carbonated IMO. Finishes clean, not very bittering and aftertaste fades quickly. Not a bad sipper but could run through a few of these in a sitting.

O - A little off the mark for me, didn't think drinking it 2 months past the expiration date would make that big of a difference but would like to try this one again fresh. (821 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -21.2%

How can this already taste faded with a best by date of Jan. 2013? :S

Bright saturated orange, tons of lacing all around the glass, pillowy head of offwhite foam. Bright clarity, saturated color, looks nice.

Smells floral with some caramel malt sweetness. Not a pungent or fresh impression, somewhat acrid with tangible rawness.

Taste is plenty bitter, but lacking much nuance or hop flavors. Some maltiness, aspirin bitterness, green grass, and a slight alcohol note. Dry bitter aspirin finish. Medium bodied with light carbonation. Overall seems pretty one-note and bitter without much to balance. Freshness/stability is in question though, it just arrived in the market weeks ago. (688 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -21.2%

16oz can poured into a snifter. Pours a beautiful hazy burnt orange, great fluffy white head that sticks around, lacing and retention looks wicked, really nice looking IPA. The aromas are subtle and candy-like.. they're nice aromas, but not really aggressive. Tastes underwhelming.. everything sort of falls flat. Tastes bitter with really no flavor. These flavors aren't flashy, just straight up bitter and becomes very one dimensional although there's a slight fruity lemon aftertaste. Malt is present. Mouthfeel is very nice, rich and creamy, right on. Finishes pretty clean and dry for the most part. And reguardless of how I'm not crazy about the hop profile, it's pretty easy to drink and goes down smooth.

I'm not crazy about this one, although there is alot I really like about it, unfortunately not really the way it tastes. Unique take on the style though. I can understand why people enjoy this one, I can dig it, but it's not what I look for in an IPA.

Righteous Ale is much more enjoyable, IMHO. (1,010 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

Review from notes.

A: Pours a hazy orange with 1.5 finger white head, very large and foamy. Great retention with sticky lacing.

S: Some grapefruit and citrus with a little bit of spice. There is a little bit of a bready malt aroma as well.

T: Very light citrus flavor with sort of a Belgian thing going on. Tastes like a Belgian IPA with some spice and yeasty flavors.

M: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

O: Not really sure what is going on. The aroma was fine, a little light, but fine, but the flavor profile was lacking in hop flavors and the Belgian influence is strange. Not sure I would have guessed it an IPA. Need to try it again to confirm though. (672 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

Seen these guys popping up in Chicago, so I thought I'd give it a try. Can: best by 11/19/2012.

Poured entire 16 oz can into a Duvel tulip. Medium amber colored, with an inch of off-white head. I won't waste a ton of time reviewing this: everything is pretty average. I can't detect anything in particular in the smell or taste. There is a bit of lingering bitterness on the back end. In a crowded market, it's hard to come back to this one, unless there was a sale/etc. I dig the cans.

Summary: at the same price, at the same abv, NB Ranger beats this one. Not bad, but needs some work to compete in this class. Love the name, though. (637 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -21.9%

I've been interested in trying this for awhile and picked up a 4 pack ($8.99 Total Wine). This is my first beer from Sixpoint.

A - Nice looking medium brown color when poured into a tulip

S - There is element of hops in the smell but I'm also catching a fair amount of yeast which isn't what I want to smell in an IPA

T - Dry with some hops. Lots of malt and a heavy yeast flavor.

M - Carbonation feels about right. No complaints.

Having not had this beer before I'm wondering if I got a bad batch based on the other reviews. The DBD is still over 3 months out so it's not excessively old or anything. I caught way too much yeast in this beer for my liking. Hopefully I can try this on tap somewhere along the way to confirm the bad batch theory. If what I got was what Sixpoint is trying for then I'll save this one for other patrons. (841 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -23%

Poured from a 64oz. growler filled 6/27/11 into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: An extended pour yields a 1 finger creamy white head with moderate retention. Beer is a clear tangerine sunrise. Lacing is spotty and stringy with little stick. Lack of head retention and lace really hurts appearance in this style.

S: Nose is piney hop bitterness with citrus and papaya notes. Fresh, simple, crisp, and moderately aromatic. Some subtle cane sugar notes in the back too. Average.

T: Opens slightly metallic with some ceramic notes. Citrus hop bitterness mixed with pine and grassy notes in the middle. Cane sugar appears as this one warms along with more pine hop bite. Finishes hoppy with a sticky, resiny hop aftertaste. Pretty standard.

M: Light bodied and moderately carbonated. Watery and refreshing in the mouth and goes down slightly filmy and abrasive. Finish is astringent and aftertaste lingers. Nice and very refreshing.

O: I'd love to support my local brewery but this is a the definition of a middle-of-the-road ipa. Nicely bitter, crisp, and refreshing but nothing really stands out in the smell, taste, look, or feel. Worth keeping around on those hot summer days but not good for much else. (1,209 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -23%

From can, unknown canning date. Purchased from a store I trust in VT.

Appearance is really beautiful. Deep orange,copper color, insane lacing.
Aroma, I feel like something is wrong. Some fruit and hops in there, but kind of a wild yeasty undercurrent. Smells kind of like when a homebrew batch goes bad.
Taste, the weird yeasty thing carries through. Unfortunate. This can't be what it's supposed to taste like, can it? Fruity, a little bitter with a yeasty, burnt rubber aftertaste that sticks like ash.
MF, awesome feel to the beer. Carbonation is right on.

Overall, a real letdown. I'm actually confused as this has a good reputation. Something must be wrong with this batch. Hesitant to try again in case some of the off flavors really are part of the flavor profile. (773 characters)

16oz tall boy can poured into a Guinness pint glass. I've been told this was from a "bad" batch, I'm reviewing anyways but will update when I try another batch.

Pours a hazy amber orange color with a small off white head and some thin lacing. Nose is a bit muddled, pine and sweet malts dominate.

Taste is a bit off, it's grassy and vegetal with this odd chewy yeasty finish that is putting it off. There is a nice tangerine flavor that lingers for a while which is nice. The mouthfeel is full and creamy. Even for a "bad" batch this is decent, I'll look out for a new batch. (577 characters)

16oz can in wine glass (in hotel room in gettysburg)
best by: Aug 2012

note: I try to review according to style

A: Orange copper color, very hazy with almost no head, a more vigorous 2nd pour yields a 1/2 finger off-white head.
S: Hard to believe that this was dry-hopped, there is almost no hop aroma at all.
T: Sharp hoppy bitterness, some citrus notes. The grain bill is completely masked by the hops, somewhat surprising, I was expecting a lot of caramel based on the color. I wonder if the color is coming from some Munich malt vs. caramel malts, that would also help explain the dryness. As it warms, there is a little more "juiciness" but the hops are not opening up.
M: Astringent and very dry on the tongue. A medium amount of carbonation, I think a touch more would help balance the oiliness from the hops. Very tongue and mouth coating.
O: A nice IPA, but I am confused about where the high praise comes from. I expect a lot more hop flavor and aroma in an IPA and this is mostly hoppy bitterness. Not really impressed, definitely better IPAs out there. Would not seek out, would not buy again. (1,108 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -24%

Poured from a can, into a small little glass.

A - Nice orangey colour on this one, this a little less than a finger of white head

S - mostly pine but a little bit of sweetness

T - Very little on the hop side of things, much maltier than I expected

M - really light and easy drinking which made this slightly better

O - randomly stumbled into this at a restaurant in Toronto, not sure how they obtained it. Glad I tried it, but highly underwhelming, despite it's easy drinkability. (485 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Overall not a huge fan. This beer was hyped up by my local liquor store. The beer has a heavy mouthfeel for a relatively low ABV (>7%). From the reviews I read on here, I was excited to get the huge hop taste that some have described, but I definitely am not feeling it.

Would I buy this again? Probably not. $8.49 for this 4-pack of pints wasn't worth the hype. (366 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -25.8%

16 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a clear copper, with several fingers of robust off-white head. This retains with a foamy ¼ finger that leaves back a rich cascade of sticky lacing which hang in thick swathes down the sides of the glass. The aroma is a combination of floral and herbal tones, with that deep herbal character REALLY picking up as this warms. Pine and some light peppery spice mingle in as well, as does an underlying zesty citric smelling bitterness. The malts add just a light sugary doughiness to the edges of nose, mainly staying in the background of this.

The taste is muted flavors of grapefruit and herbal notes, which at least segue into a dry feeling finish of pith and pine. The malt profile mostly has a grainy sweetness to it that offers up some balancing sugars but that seems to be the extent of it, as the focus here seems to mostly be on the hops (or what is left of them). The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a soft crispness that is undercut by a mellow and slick herbal feel. Alcohol is mostly well hid, with just some light warmth in the finish. This is solid.

This beer was about 2 months old in the can when I had it and the hops shouldn’t have faded this much in that length of time. It’s a shame to, because I’ve had this beer on draft, really liked it, and could feel the promise of a solid American IPA there on the edges of this. It just wasn’t to be. I understand that they are still getting their groove down on this canning line and hopefully things will improve. I’d be willing to check out a fresher example down the line. (1,588 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%

the beer has thick head and clear yellow body light carbonation.

smells like an imperial Pilsener rich sweet malty/hay like to me then it adds spicy pine kick that lingers faint on my nose.

Very drinkable light taste then nice long pine needle taste.

Note I forgot to mention this before there is a near my town that made a very pine spruce beer Ode To A Russian Shipwright which is strangely called an American Porter on Beer advocate not sure why since if anything it beer an English Porter at very least.

But I like this beer because it has nice lingering taste but is malty sweet than is not too sweet. I can't tell what hops are in this but I would say this oddly reminds me of another NYC beer Brooklyn IPA an English IPA. I strongly suspect English Yeast it has that english velvet feel going down.

Impression Good but I think NYer's who thought this was like Surly are wrong interesting but leaves me dry I need another beer :) Not this (949 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Hazy gold/copper. Head is bright-white. Leaves a little lacing. Nothing too crazy going on. Moderate carbonation on the pour. Head drops pretty quickly, but leaves a small cap and collar.

Smell: Citrus, floral, and resin. Citrus hits oily and almost astringent. It’s like overactive citrus oil. Pine and floral mix well. Malts run a touch sweet with some earthy notes. Carries the same odd characteristic of all Sixpoint beer...must be the yeast.

Taste: Pretty mellow. Malts are a nice balance to the hops which come off a little dirty (as in very earthy). Citrus rind. Some grapefruit. Yeast is potent. Almost a peppery flavor under it all. Big ass yeast profile coupled with the citrus hops makes this unique. A bit bready with a slight toasted element.

Mouthfeel: Mediumish body with a moderate to light carbonation. Slightly dry finish. A bit oily and slick.

Overall: A striped housecat.

A bit of an overall letdown. Hop profile is decent, but that yeast damn near kills it. Weird off-spiciness that just doesn't really jive. Still drinkable overall. (1,073 characters)

9th review on BA
Can into New Belgium snifter.

A: Light caramel/copper with a minimal haze, but still see-thru. 1.5 finger nail head on brisk pour.

S: Something is off on this one. Smells like a candy, unripened fruit mess. I smelled it a couple dozen times, but can't pick up the exact smell.

T: Sweet malt to nothing - this beer just dies. It's definitely missing the hop characteristics I would expect out of such a beer.

M: Nothing. Just nothing pleasing to me at all. Quite bummed about this.

O: Not good. I had high hopes for this beer, but I'm thinking it is an old can or something. Unfortunate considering all the decent reviews this one has received. Much appreciated as an extra, but can't say that I'll see this out at any point in the future - unless it was a fresh can. (788 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

Bought this in a can and poured it into a Pint glass to try.
Upon opening a nice sish was given from the can and the distinct and described pine and citrus, grapefruit like, aroma becomes very prominent.
Pouring its leave a nice simple head and the colour is a deep golden orange, looks appetising. Once in the glass the smell becomes potent and everyone around me could smell it 3 seats away.
The taste is refreshing and crisp with a fruity after taste, however the 'after-after' taste was and awful dry chemical feeling, not enjoyable at all. Had to leave it after 3 sips. such a shame, wish i could have enjoyed it more, I did have Lager to drink before this, so maybe thats what influenced my opinion. (705 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

I seem to be in the minority in finding that this beer is too overwhelmingly hoppy for my taste. I will try to be objective nonetheless.

Pours a very hazy orange-copper color. Half inch head dissapates quickly and has virtually no lacing.

Scent is slightly on the hoppy side but provides no warning of what the taste holds in store.

Upon tasting, the taste of hops is overpowering and overwhelming. I found it difficult to discern other flavors above this.

If you enjoy a hoppy beer, this is the one for you I guess. (520 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Can from the Village Pump, $2.49. Best by 01 August 2012.

A hazy amber with a dense, choppy, off-white head that leaves rather spectacular lacing as it falls off slowly. The nose is surprisingly muted. Grassy, mildly pine-like and rather vegetal (broccoli, cauliflower) in hop character, this isn't wholly appealing. a mild toasted malt sweetness is also noticeable. Spicy, mildly medicinal too.

The palate opens with a lot of vegetal and rotting citrus hop character, bringing to mind a grassy, vegetable oil. For the second night in a row, the word "vomit" comes to mind, but thankfully, there's no bile here. However, this does have a bit of a cooked vegetable character, mildly rancid in nature. Hop bitterness is mild, hop flavor is rather muted, and there isn't much malt flavor either. Yes, there's some citrus, but there's also a tartness that seems just... bizarre. Medium light in body with moderate carbonation and a finish that's not particularly flavorful, this is a rather mediocre beer IMO. I'm willing to concede that the off-notes are possibly batch-to-batch variation, but the lack of flavor is not particularly an enjoyable aspect. (1,153 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -28.3%

I like the tall boy can. The beer was served in a Imperial Pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is a slightly hazy orange coloration. The head of the beer is thick about 2.5 fingers high with a biege coloration. Nice head retention noted. Thin rings of lacing mark this beers departure.

S- The aroma of the beer is subdued pine notes rolling into mild grapefruit caramel sweetened breadyness.

T- The flavor of the beer leads with sweet caramel maltyness. Pine and a brief citrus twang suck the maltyness into a bitter finish.

M- The body of the beer is creamy with moderate carbonation. Nice long lasting bitter notes in the flavor.

O- Not a bad beer drinking experience but this is not a beer I will seek again. (718 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -28.3%

Best by: 29SEP11

A: Toasted apricot ale with a single finger of light maple foam which falls slowly to a sheet of the same. Rings of lace above this ale of limited clarity.

S: Lots of soily, oily hops, not particularly intriguing. Some hints of grapefruit. The hop profile seems pretty similar to Righteous Ale (their Rye).

T: Grassy and grainy. The malts are more prominent than I would prefer in a good IPA. This is improperly balanced for an American IPA, reminds me more of an English IPA.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carb. Nice dry finish.

O: Nothing special here. (579 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Review adapted from notes taken 6/9/11 and 7/7/11

Note: I've had two cans of this (above dates) and on-tap, but I still think I drank something different than most of the reviews here on BA

Appearance: A dark golden orange, a very small white head, decent lacing

Smell: Kind of weak, but not terrible- some citrus, some pine, slightly floral, slightly herbal - extraordinarily average, not remarkable in any way

Taste: It's a full pint of blah - some orange and grapefruit rind, but these flavors are very weak - some herbal and grassy flavors, but again, very weak - mostly, this just tastes like bitter water with some off-flavors - it's almost as if this beer has a unique combination of malts and hops that confuses my taste buds, and all I taste is a bland... blandness

Mouthfeel: Medium, on the sticky/oily side, needs more carbonation

Overall: I will probably remember this beer as one of the greatest mysteries of 2011

For a while I thought about not reviewing this beer. After all, the consensus seems to be that this beer is exploding with citrus; it's is a hoppy kick to the face. After three pints of this, all I tasted was something akin to a bad homebrew, complete with off-flavors and strange carbonation. My second can was almost a drain pour. (1,266 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -34.4%

Dude, this stuff is weird.

Starts off with a nice deep amber/ orange color.

Has some herbal/ citrus aromas, but there is some funk and cheese and rubber too. Huh? Yuck.

Has an earthy/ citrus hop flavor, but that cheese and rubber combine for a smoky meaty flavor that is screaming "roadkill cooked at hobo camp."

There is layers of complexity I guess you could say, but all of questionable things.

Blech. (409 characters)