Bengali Tiger - Sixpoint Brewery

Bengali TigerBengali Tiger

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: Sixpoint on 04-22-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bengali Tiger Alström Bros
JGLittle

wstitzel

10-24-2013 00:48:32 | More by wstitzel
WheelsPSU

4.24/5  rDev +7.9%

On tap at Zito's in Park Slope.

It poured a hazy gold/orange with a light tan head. The smell was piney, resin, citrus, and bread. The taste was a malty, hop forward east coast IPA. Citrus hits right in the middle. It's smooth on the finish with medium carbonation.

One of Sixpoint's best.

09-12-2013 15:27:51 | More by WheelsPSU
wingman14

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a hazy dark orange with a creamy off white head that fades slowly and leaves gobs of lacing. The smell is very inviting, huge hops, pine and citrus are the dominating aromas, with a hint of sweet. The taste is huge, the pine comes through first in a big way followed with grapefruit like citrus, not as bitter as I expected from the smell, but some bitter comes through and extends through the aftertaste. A nice balance for such a huge flavor, the beer is medium, but a good consistency. A great IPA, well done with big flavor that doesn't get annoying.

07-10-2012 00:27:45 | More by wingman14
Brent

Kentucky

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%

A solid AIPA, in a tall boy can, no less. Pour was a deep amber with an agressive, tight head. More malt presence than average for the style, but no so much as to detract from the hops-centric nature of the beer. Hops were resinous with some bite up front, herbal and sharp. Malt almost stepped in too much in the middle, but reigned back and the hops carried through. Some sweetness rises toward the end with the malt.

10-22-2012 21:00:40 | More by Brent
martyl1000

4.23/5  rDev +7.6%

Awesome. So lucky to find thus on tap at Jacs (Madison). High ibu's made possible by the strong malt backbone. I've had this in the tall-boy can, and can tell you it's totally more of an achievement on tap. I'm a malt guy, and yet I would take this bitter-sweetness any day of the week.

---
Revised 9/15/13
I don't know how I reviewed this so highly last year (4.83): I'm totally underwhelmed. No, scratch that. It's quite good. Although the sweet backbone isn't what I thought it was, It is surprising to read the IBU to be 82 (it tastes more like 40). So there must be some serious malt action balancing it all out.

It's definitely quite good. But this is the second time from a can I've been disappointed by it. Maybe it's just way better on tap or fresher?

06-17-2012 03:07:32 | More by martyl1000
BuffaloTapHugger

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

16 oz can poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Amber in color, great half inch white head showing up and stellar lacing throughout.

S: Citrus notes of grapefruit and tangerine, some lemon to in the back.

T: I like this aspect the most about this beer. Good splash of hops with the present of the above notions. Great flavor, as a spice to it, a real one hitter.

M: Clean, good carb action, abv detected without worry.

O: Feel in love with this beer a few years back having in on tap when it showed up every now and then. Stoked about the fact that this beer comes in can form. One of my all time favorite IPA's, it was a treat when it came around when it did, kind of scared now that its at my disposal...

Recommended.

08-27-2011 04:43:34 | More by BuffaloTapHugger
OutFox

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Ive had this a million times before considering I live in Brooklyn (on draft as many as in a can), just never took the time to write a formal review

A - Poured from a 16oz can into a normal pint glass. Its a cloudy sort of copper orange. Very good head of around 2 fingers, almost pure white. Good retention and leaves a good amount of lacing.

S - Piney citrus hops. Very pleasing. Sort of the normal single IPA smell. Its got a nose but the taste is what makes the IPA a truly great beer.

T - Full of citrus and pine sort of hops. I mean full of them. Overtones of grapefruit and orange predominately. Good bitter backbone. Taste very very fresh. Considering it probably only traveled 5 miles to the store I bought it at.

M - Its sort of sticky for lack of a better word. Sticky with being somewhat dry if thats possible.

O - Solid IPA. Well done Sixpoint thats why all us Brooklyn and NYC people love you. Keep it up. The fact these come in cans is just a testament to the fact you cant judge a beer by its container.

09-15-2011 19:03:48 | More by OutFox
ngeunit1

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

A - Pours a bright slightly hazy copper-orange color with a big finger of frothy white head. The head fades down slowly to a thin layer leaving behind some lacing.

S - Aroma is full of floral and citrus hops with some nice grapefruit notes. Also some bready and caramel malts and some biscuit mixed in.

T - Starts off with some sweet caramel malt flavor and a hit of citrus hop flavor with a good amount of bitterness. Through the middle some floral hop flavor and bready flavor comes through. The finish is a mix of some bitterness and grassy hops with a bit of sweet malt that lingers nicely.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels really smooth and crisp and a bit dry. The bitterness in the creates a really nice dry kick at the finish.

D - Very drinkable. Everything is nicely balanced and the hop profile is really nice. The bitterness really kicks in nicely at the finish.

05-15-2011 22:23:46 | More by ngeunit1
JerzDevl2000

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

So glad to finally see this available in my home state. As odd as it was to find this in 16 oz. cans, it was much better to finally have a chance to have this at here at the house and finally review it. While this isn't as hoppy as its West Coast counterparts, this is a solid beer that can still stack up to them, no pun intended!

The pour to this was a bright hazelnut brown with a head that filled up my pint glass well before I poured everything out of the can. The lacing was not quite as good but present after I finished each sip. As for the taste, it was similar to Green Flash in that there was lots of pine, resin, and "skunk"; and by that, I mean 420 and not the sense that this beer was on the shelf for too long! Lots of bubbles throughout the session too - both in taste and in appearance. A slightly caramel backbone and aftertaste balanced out the hops quite nicely and took the edge off of this, as well.

Sure enough, this is stronger in the alcohol department than the 6.40% would lead one to believe. While it doesn't overpower, this had a slightly boozy character to it and detracted from everything just a notch. That being said, this is just as good as any other IPA that's out there and I will admit, I couldn't taste any of the "can" in the beer itself. Fans of hoppy beers that prefer them on the mellower side owe it to themselves to give this a shot.

08-23-2011 21:53:36 | More by JerzDevl2000
PopeJonPaul

Oregon

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Brilliant cloudy, fuzzy, bubbly orange appearance with a perfect 1/4 inch puffy head and a pleasant hoppy aroma. Powerfully hopped with a definite tart, piney nectarine-citrus flavor. Quite sour but the tongue-puckering is offset with a creamy mouthfeel that helps it go down easier than you'd expect. The sourness makes you thirsty for another one but too many would be overpowering. Reminds me of some of the West-Coast IPAs (which I enjoy, being a West-Coast transplant and all.) Will look forward to more of these this summer.

04-21-2006 21:54:52 | More by PopeJonPaul
BeerLover99

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

A: deep cloudy orange/rust, creamy finger head,
spectacular lacing encases inside of pint glass

S: big pine, grapefruit, orange peel, lemon zest,

T: lemon grass, zest, big clean pine, low smooth bitter finish

M: med body, creamy flowing/smooth, hint of slick/oily

O: WOW! My 1st Sixpoint experience and I'm
rather impressed. This is DARE I say is a
mind-blowing session American IPA! Love
the creamy smooth/oily balance. Just like the
pine vs. citrus flavor.

OUTSTANDING, MUST TRY!

10-04-2011 15:57:48 | More by BeerLover99
EarlNobdy

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

This beer is the soundtrack of our lives. Mine and Marilyn's together with Rocco and Gia in tow. It's the miles of endless parking in our neighborhood, circling the blocks for that single sequestered spot. A bootleg rendition of Springsteen's glory days back in the late 70s before he got too big for the backstreets and let go of the hand of the average man. It's the bank telling us we are Clear to Close and thereby capable of shouldering our quantity of debt. It's a snuck cigarette on the fire escape and feeling my age. Quietly clenched fists of rage and a mouth to voice this subtle, insidious desperation. Rocco is having emotional problems; he is held hostage by his anxiety. It breaks my heart to see my boy in this his fifth year of pain. And not to have any answers for him, since when does it get any better? As men we are only anchored down by more of the same. Marilyn has turned to prescription pills if only to take off the edge. A mild dose of powders that puts her to sleep by 8:30 in the evening. That's one way I suppose, to let your life pass you by. But used to be the day wasn't merely something you fought to get through.

Because somewhere there is a picture of us, from back in the early days when it was just us two. Though there must have been at least one other there who had the camera. It's a shot of me and Marilyn before she became my wife. When we walked out on a piece of property my father bought at the edge of the National Park, and the road then was only a dirt trail up through the pines. It's late November in the picture, and we are in jackets and hats. At some point Marilyn has turned back and pressed herself into my chest. I am looking down saying something to her, and she is almost smiling into the lens. My girl always knows where the camera is. And that's when the photo was taken. The evergreens all around us and a low cloud cover that later in the day would turn to snow. A cold smell of the end of Fall, clean and gray. Calm. And that's how I best prefer to remember us. It's my favorite picture of us I hold in my head, and I'm not even sure where the actual physical, document has gotten to. Maybe we'll find it in the move.

I raise this glass to the past six years of our marriage. In a matter of days we will embark on the next phase of our lives, as we evolve from a thus far as renters and become first time homeowners. Here's to the people we are soon to be and the ups and downs of a long life lived together. Friends may come and go and the kids grow old and find roads of their own. But, me and my baby stand steadfast--forever frozen in that moment of flash.

06-20-2009 11:46:32 | More by EarlNobdy
CHADMC3

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a hazy orange with bronze hues and a foamy off white head that gives way to a thin lacing that hangs around for the duration.

The aroma consists of grass or pine and citrus hops with a bit of sweet malt to back it.

Delicious flavor of citrus and floral hops, a touch of sweet citrus zest, hints of honey, more pine, and a satisfying balance of sweet malt.

Medium in body and carbonation, this brew features a drying finish and a mild hop bite.

This is a great beer, very nice balance with great flavor to entertain the palate. This is a winner.

09-07-2010 00:24:17 | More by CHADMC3