Bengali Tiger - Sixpoint Brewery

Bengali TigerBengali Tiger

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 04-22-2005

The original Sixpoint homebrewed IPA formulation, first brewed in 1999 and released commercially in 2005.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bengali Tiger Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 583 | Hads: 2,254
1.36/5  rDev -65.3%

Chilled can into a glass, courtesy of alfrantzell and ShogoKawada. Thanks, guys.

A: Pours a slightly hazy reddish-amber body.

S: Bready, crackery malt and... nothing else. I couldn't detect any hops. Perhaps this Bengali Tiger needs to find his courage.

T: A transcription of my notes: "Best by date is weeks away but still not hoppy. WTF? Joke by Shogo? Ask on Facebook. Drainpour."

O: Arne shared another can out of the same 4-pack at a tasting, and it met the same reception as mine. Perhaps the cans don't travel well. Either way, this was an odd experience. I had a different IPA after throwing this one out, and found that to be much better, so it wasn't my palate that day. (688 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -54.6%

16oz can, best by 11/19/12.

Gently rocking the can reveals that there is some head space, and when I open it, my worst fears are confirmed: gentlemen, we have a short-fill.

Attractive copper hue with some haze. Three-finger, foamy head dissipates to a thin layer. Good lacing.

Very oxidized and not pleasant. Little to no hop aroma, like a stale Birtish pale ale. Ugh...

Flavor is bitter and clean, but the oxidation is apparent. Some notes of resiny, earthy and garlic-like hops in the background. Malt character is medium-light for an IPA, not too heavy. A bit bready and toasty. I appreciate the dryness.

Perhaps bad storage (or the fact that it's a short-fill) ruined this beer, but I have a hard time stomaching this considering it's still five months before the best by date and I payed good money for this can. God only knows how this will be drinking by November-- oxidized, perhaps? Bleh. (903 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -51.8%

Was really looking forward to this. This was my first Sixpoint Beer. Cracked it open and had it in a 16oz snifter. First beer of the night so no influence on my palate.

Appearance: Very nice straw/orange color. Noticed a lot of floating sediements, a little more then I am use to but in line with most non filtered ipa's.

Smell: First thing I smelled was the hops then the citrus. Not quite a grapefruit smell but along those lines.Then the pine needles exploded

Taste: This is where things went bad. I am not sure if it was a bad can (date was fine) but it tasted like a belgian ipa that finished with a weird sour hop note. For it being 62ibu i was thinking it would have a hoppier taste. The malt was a touch over powering. Not a very balanced ipa.

Mouthfeel: Malty but seemed under carbinated.

Overall: I hate dumping beer but i drank about 4 ounces and just couldn't drink anymore.
It just wasn't my thing where i love ipa's. Next im going to try Resin and hope thay is better then this. (999 characters)

Update:What happened. A month ago I am in love with this after buying a .16 and having some friends over to enjoy. The other night I am in W-Burg @ Mugs and I have a pint followed by an Ithaca Flower Power.
The Tiger changed color from an awesome orange to a pretty standard IPA copper gold. What was worse was the things that got me excited about this beer were gone (pine citrus) in balance unlike Flower Power which you know is gonna have heavy focus on those flavors.
So I am guessing my .16 came from Brooklyn and the tap at Mugs came from their outsourcing brewer in PA.
What a shame.
Next week I go to Minn and fill my luggage with cans of Surly.

5 Gal Log. Amazing color and balance. Love the pine and citrus peal, great head.
I am happy to say I have found a beer that stands up to Two Hearted Ale, Masala Mama, Captain Lawrence DIPA, Surly Furious and Pliny The Elder(almost).
Most important to me is it is brewed in my area. (941 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -46.9%

16oz can, best before 17 Feb 2013.

A: Somewhat cloudy golden hued with an ample, frothy white head. Turns chunky after a while.

S: A faint smell of grapefruit rind upon a deep inhale. Not much more.

T: Tastes off, bitter with no sweetness on the tongue and no semblance of balance on the palate. Neither an IPA on the malty side like Celebration, balanced like Blind Pig or a hop assault like Racer 5. Hard to call it too hoppy, too bitter or anything...simply off.

M: Nothing redeeming about the flavors that coat the taste buds or the aftertaste.

O: This version of Bengali Tiger, the only one I've had, is a distinctly below average beer, ale and IPA. I was in Brooklyn in July of this year and enjoyed some Sweet Action, both canned and on draft. A recent move from California to Texas has its ups and downs beer wise, but I was psyched to see Sixpoint arrive around the same time. Sweet Action tasted fine and Resin was even better, but this? A near drain-pour for this last of the cans in the four-pack. (1,014 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -42.9%

16oz pour at Sunset Grill...drinking them out of house and home since yesterday! served in a glass...of some sort, dont remember. but this review is from notes!

A - served with half an inch of fuzzy eggshell colored foam, leaves behind a thick wall of sticky lace most of the way down the glass. the beer is hazy, light amber in color.

S - very earthy, piney from hops...some light spicy notes. bready malts, some honey drizzled biscuits for sweetness.

T - this grew on me. assertive bitter earthy and citrus (detecting Cascade?) hops, wet piney finish. a formidable hop bomb. subtle caramel malt for balance, hints of apricots near the end.

M - medium body, very chewy...strongly carbonated. finishes dry yet prickly.

D - solid solid solid. usually not a huge fan of IPA's with this hop profile but this was very yummy, went down easy. great balance but quenches that mid-day hop craving. well done.

scores adjusted for recent canning (942 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -40.8%

Thanks to Kegatron for this pint sized can. Best before Nov 17, 2011 stamped on the bottom. Poured into a pint glass, this brew appears a lightly hazed copper color with 2 fingers of yellowish stained head. The cap retains fairly decent with large bubbles of carbonation and a creamy top. As the cap fades to a thin lace across the top, it paints the glass with patches and spots of lace. A light swirl revives the cap back to nearly a finger's strength.

The smell is bright with fruity hops, citrus and some floral character. That enjoyable hop aroma quickly dissolves into something a bit unpleasant and reminiscent of plastic. Under the hop scent is some cheese quality that is quite stinky and almost funky. It has a scent of sulfur mixed with farts. It starts off fairly bright and hoppy in a good way and takes a turn for the worse fairly quickly. It almost displays a smoked or burnt aspect across the back.

The taste includes bitter fruits and rindy quality. A touch of floral aspect before the onset of toasted malt that is a bit burnt and like plastic. There is a fairly solid bitterness about this brew that has an herbal aspect mixed with grass. The alcohol is fairly evident with a solvent kick and warmth down the back of the throat that brings out a mineral quality to the finish. It has a lasting flavor of burnt plastic that lingers inside the mouth. At times, some sips seem a bit tropical with the fruity hop bitterness. However, there just seems like something is going wrong with this can.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. At times, it shows potential but there is a lot going on here that just wasn't enjoyable. There is no place for burnt plastic in any style of beer, it is very distracting. The hop character I did pick up on was pleasant, I just wish it was more prevalent than the mysterious plastic quality and mineral/stinky funk aspects. I appreciate the opportunity to try this one Heath but I seriously couldn't finish it. I wouldn't mind trying this again just to see if I happen to get an off or bad can. (2,073 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -38.8%

Picked up a can from Wegman's. I had good hopes for this as after trying other Six Point brews were decent brews but this one let me down. I taste nothing but bittering hops from this. Smell is nothing to write home about. Mouthfeel is just bitter to the tongue with dry aftertaste. Sorry, I'll pass on another, maybe on tap will take another chance at it. (356 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -34.4%

Dude, this stuff is weird.

Starts off with a nice deep amber/ orange color.

Has some herbal/ citrus aromas, but there is some funk and cheese and rubber too. Huh? Yuck.

Has an earthy/ citrus hop flavor, but that cheese and rubber combine for a smoky meaty flavor that is screaming "roadkill cooked at hobo camp."

There is layers of complexity I guess you could say, but all of questionable things.

Blech. (409 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Review adapted from notes taken 6/9/11 and 7/7/11

Note: I've had two cans of this (above dates) and on-tap, but I still think I drank something different than most of the reviews here on BA

Appearance: A dark golden orange, a very small white head, decent lacing

Smell: Kind of weak, but not terrible- some citrus, some pine, slightly floral, slightly herbal - extraordinarily average, not remarkable in any way

Taste: It's a full pint of blah - some orange and grapefruit rind, but these flavors are very weak - some herbal and grassy flavors, but again, very weak - mostly, this just tastes like bitter water with some off-flavors - it's almost as if this beer has a unique combination of malts and hops that confuses my taste buds, and all I taste is a bland... blandness

Mouthfeel: Medium, on the sticky/oily side, needs more carbonation

Overall: I will probably remember this beer as one of the greatest mysteries of 2011

For a while I thought about not reviewing this beer. After all, the consensus seems to be that this beer is exploding with citrus; it's is a hoppy kick to the face. After three pints of this, all I tasted was something akin to a bad homebrew, complete with off-flavors and strange carbonation. My second can was almost a drain pour. (1,266 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -28.3%

I like the tall boy can. The beer was served in a Imperial Pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is a slightly hazy orange coloration. The head of the beer is thick about 2.5 fingers high with a biege coloration. Nice head retention noted. Thin rings of lacing mark this beers departure.

S- The aroma of the beer is subdued pine notes rolling into mild grapefruit caramel sweetened breadyness.

T- The flavor of the beer leads with sweet caramel maltyness. Pine and a brief citrus twang suck the maltyness into a bitter finish.

M- The body of the beer is creamy with moderate carbonation. Nice long lasting bitter notes in the flavor.

O- Not a bad beer drinking experience but this is not a beer I will seek again. (718 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -28.3%

Best by: 29SEP11

A: Toasted apricot ale with a single finger of light maple foam which falls slowly to a sheet of the same. Rings of lace above this ale of limited clarity.

S: Lots of soily, oily hops, not particularly intriguing. Some hints of grapefruit. The hop profile seems pretty similar to Righteous Ale (their Rye).

T: Grassy and grainy. The malts are more prominent than I would prefer in a good IPA. This is improperly balanced for an American IPA, reminds me more of an English IPA.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carb. Nice dry finish.

O: Nothing special here. (579 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Can from the Village Pump, $2.49. Best by 01 August 2012.

A hazy amber with a dense, choppy, off-white head that leaves rather spectacular lacing as it falls off slowly. The nose is surprisingly muted. Grassy, mildly pine-like and rather vegetal (broccoli, cauliflower) in hop character, this isn't wholly appealing. a mild toasted malt sweetness is also noticeable. Spicy, mildly medicinal too.

The palate opens with a lot of vegetal and rotting citrus hop character, bringing to mind a grassy, vegetable oil. For the second night in a row, the word "vomit" comes to mind, but thankfully, there's no bile here. However, this does have a bit of a cooked vegetable character, mildly rancid in nature. Hop bitterness is mild, hop flavor is rather muted, and there isn't much malt flavor either. Yes, there's some citrus, but there's also a tartness that seems just... bizarre. Medium light in body with moderate carbonation and a finish that's not particularly flavorful, this is a rather mediocre beer IMO. I'm willing to concede that the off-notes are possibly batch-to-batch variation, but the lack of flavor is not particularly an enjoyable aspect. (1,153 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

Bought this in a can and poured it into a Pint glass to try.
Upon opening a nice sish was given from the can and the distinct and described pine and citrus, grapefruit like, aroma becomes very prominent.
Pouring its leave a nice simple head and the colour is a deep golden orange, looks appetising. Once in the glass the smell becomes potent and everyone around me could smell it 3 seats away.
The taste is refreshing and crisp with a fruity after taste, however the 'after-after' taste was and awful dry chemical feeling, not enjoyable at all. Had to leave it after 3 sips. such a shame, wish i could have enjoyed it more, I did have Lager to drink before this, so maybe thats what influenced my opinion. (705 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -27.3%

I seem to be in the minority in finding that this beer is too overwhelmingly hoppy for my taste. I will try to be objective nonetheless.

Pours a very hazy orange-copper color. Half inch head dissapates quickly and has virtually no lacing.

Scent is slightly on the hoppy side but provides no warning of what the taste holds in store.

Upon tasting, the taste of hops is overpowering and overwhelming. I found it difficult to discern other flavors above this.

If you enjoy a hoppy beer, this is the one for you I guess. (520 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%

the beer has thick head and clear yellow body light carbonation.

smells like an imperial Pilsener rich sweet malty/hay like to me then it adds spicy pine kick that lingers faint on my nose.

Very drinkable light taste then nice long pine needle taste.

Note I forgot to mention this before there is a near my town that made a very pine spruce beer Ode To A Russian Shipwright which is strangely called an American Porter on Beer advocate not sure why since if anything it beer an English Porter at very least.

But I like this beer because it has nice lingering taste but is malty sweet than is not too sweet. I can't tell what hops are in this but I would say this oddly reminds me of another NYC beer Brooklyn IPA an English IPA. I strongly suspect English Yeast it has that english velvet feel going down.

Impression Good but I think NYer's who thought this was like Surly are wrong interesting but leaves me dry I need another beer :) Not this (949 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Appearance: Hazy gold/copper. Head is bright-white. Leaves a little lacing. Nothing too crazy going on. Moderate carbonation on the pour. Head drops pretty quickly, but leaves a small cap and collar.

Smell: Citrus, floral, and resin. Citrus hits oily and almost astringent. It’s like overactive citrus oil. Pine and floral mix well. Malts run a touch sweet with some earthy notes. Carries the same odd characteristic of all Sixpoint beer...must be the yeast.

Taste: Pretty mellow. Malts are a nice balance to the hops which come off a little dirty (as in very earthy). Citrus rind. Some grapefruit. Yeast is potent. Almost a peppery flavor under it all. Big ass yeast profile coupled with the citrus hops makes this unique. A bit bready with a slight toasted element.

Mouthfeel: Mediumish body with a moderate to light carbonation. Slightly dry finish. A bit oily and slick.

Overall: A striped housecat.

A bit of an overall letdown. Hop profile is decent, but that yeast damn near kills it. Weird off-spiciness that just doesn't really jive. Still drinkable overall. (1,073 characters)

9th review on BA
Can into New Belgium snifter.

A: Light caramel/copper with a minimal haze, but still see-thru. 1.5 finger nail head on brisk pour.

S: Something is off on this one. Smells like a candy, unripened fruit mess. I smelled it a couple dozen times, but can't pick up the exact smell.

T: Sweet malt to nothing - this beer just dies. It's definitely missing the hop characteristics I would expect out of such a beer.

M: Nothing. Just nothing pleasing to me at all. Quite bummed about this.

O: Not good. I had high hopes for this beer, but I'm thinking it is an old can or something. Unfortunate considering all the decent reviews this one has received. Much appreciated as an extra, but can't say that I'll see this out at any point in the future - unless it was a fresh can. (788 characters)

2.91/5  rDev -25.8%

16 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a clear copper, with several fingers of robust off-white head. This retains with a foamy ¼ finger that leaves back a rich cascade of sticky lacing which hang in thick swathes down the sides of the glass. The aroma is a combination of floral and herbal tones, with that deep herbal character REALLY picking up as this warms. Pine and some light peppery spice mingle in as well, as does an underlying zesty citric smelling bitterness. The malts add just a light sugary doughiness to the edges of nose, mainly staying in the background of this.

The taste is muted flavors of grapefruit and herbal notes, which at least segue into a dry feeling finish of pith and pine. The malt profile mostly has a grainy sweetness to it that offers up some balancing sugars but that seems to be the extent of it, as the focus here seems to mostly be on the hops (or what is left of them). The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a soft crispness that is undercut by a mellow and slick herbal feel. Alcohol is mostly well hid, with just some light warmth in the finish. This is solid.

This beer was about 2 months old in the can when I had it and the hops shouldn’t have faded this much in that length of time. It’s a shame to, because I’ve had this beer on draft, really liked it, and could feel the promise of a solid American IPA there on the edges of this. It just wasn’t to be. I understand that they are still getting their groove down on this canning line and hopefully things will improve. I’d be willing to check out a fresher example down the line. (1,588 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -25%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Overall not a huge fan. This beer was hyped up by my local liquor store. The beer has a heavy mouthfeel for a relatively low ABV (>7%). From the reviews I read on here, I was excited to get the huge hop taste that some have described, but I definitely am not feeling it.

Would I buy this again? Probably not. $8.49 for this 4-pack of pints wasn't worth the hype. (366 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -24%

Poured from a can, into a small little glass.

A - Nice orangey colour on this one, this a little less than a finger of white head

S - mostly pine but a little bit of sweetness

T - Very little on the hop side of things, much maltier than I expected

M - really light and easy drinking which made this slightly better

O - randomly stumbled into this at a restaurant in Toronto, not sure how they obtained it. Glad I tried it, but highly underwhelming, despite it's easy drinkability. (485 characters)

16oz tall boy can poured into a Guinness pint glass. I've been told this was from a "bad" batch, I'm reviewing anyways but will update when I try another batch.

Pours a hazy amber orange color with a small off white head and some thin lacing. Nose is a bit muddled, pine and sweet malts dominate.

Taste is a bit off, it's grassy and vegetal with this odd chewy yeasty finish that is putting it off. There is a nice tangerine flavor that lingers for a while which is nice. The mouthfeel is full and creamy. Even for a "bad" batch this is decent, I'll look out for a new batch. (577 characters)

16oz can in wine glass (in hotel room in gettysburg)
best by: Aug 2012

note: I try to review according to style

A: Orange copper color, very hazy with almost no head, a more vigorous 2nd pour yields a 1/2 finger off-white head.
S: Hard to believe that this was dry-hopped, there is almost no hop aroma at all.
T: Sharp hoppy bitterness, some citrus notes. The grain bill is completely masked by the hops, somewhat surprising, I was expecting a lot of caramel based on the color. I wonder if the color is coming from some Munich malt vs. caramel malts, that would also help explain the dryness. As it warms, there is a little more "juiciness" but the hops are not opening up.
M: Astringent and very dry on the tongue. A medium amount of carbonation, I think a touch more would help balance the oiliness from the hops. Very tongue and mouth coating.
O: A nice IPA, but I am confused about where the high praise comes from. I expect a lot more hop flavor and aroma in an IPA and this is mostly hoppy bitterness. Not really impressed, definitely better IPAs out there. Would not seek out, would not buy again. (1,108 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -23%

Poured from a 64oz. growler filled 6/27/11 into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: An extended pour yields a 1 finger creamy white head with moderate retention. Beer is a clear tangerine sunrise. Lacing is spotty and stringy with little stick. Lack of head retention and lace really hurts appearance in this style.

S: Nose is piney hop bitterness with citrus and papaya notes. Fresh, simple, crisp, and moderately aromatic. Some subtle cane sugar notes in the back too. Average.

T: Opens slightly metallic with some ceramic notes. Citrus hop bitterness mixed with pine and grassy notes in the middle. Cane sugar appears as this one warms along with more pine hop bite. Finishes hoppy with a sticky, resiny hop aftertaste. Pretty standard.

M: Light bodied and moderately carbonated. Watery and refreshing in the mouth and goes down slightly filmy and abrasive. Finish is astringent and aftertaste lingers. Nice and very refreshing.

O: I'd love to support my local brewery but this is a the definition of a middle-of-the-road ipa. Nicely bitter, crisp, and refreshing but nothing really stands out in the smell, taste, look, or feel. Worth keeping around on those hot summer days but not good for much else. (1,209 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -23%

From can, unknown canning date. Purchased from a store I trust in VT.

Appearance is really beautiful. Deep orange,copper color, insane lacing.
Aroma, I feel like something is wrong. Some fruit and hops in there, but kind of a wild yeasty undercurrent. Smells kind of like when a homebrew batch goes bad.
Taste, the weird yeasty thing carries through. Unfortunate. This can't be what it's supposed to taste like, can it? Fruity, a little bitter with a yeasty, burnt rubber aftertaste that sticks like ash.
MF, awesome feel to the beer. Carbonation is right on.

Overall, a real letdown. I'm actually confused as this has a good reputation. Something must be wrong with this batch. Hesitant to try again in case some of the off flavors really are part of the flavor profile. (773 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last