Bengali Tiger - Sixpoint Brewery

Bengali TigerBengali Tiger

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 04-22-2005

The original Sixpoint homebrewed IPA formulation, first brewed in 1999 and released commercially in 2005.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bengali Tiger Alström Bros
Reviews: 584 | Hads: 2,267

On tap at Redbones.

Slightly hazy orange color with a fine, tight white head that leaves lots of lacing on the glass. Very pretty.

Pronounced aromatic hop aroma - herbal and piney. Hop-centric flavor too. The malt provides some body and a hint of sweetness but seems to be designed to support and not overshadow the hops. Big piney hop flavor with a bit of citrus on the edges.

Round, juicy with a mouthcoating hoppiness. Pleasant lingering bitterness with a dry finish.

Great with barbeque - the hops don't get lost in all the great sauces at Redbones and the beer seems to cleanse the pallet with each sip. A great drinking IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

A very unique dry hopped smell! I would love to know their technique to harnessing the aroma. Its awesome. Dank and citrus hops.

Slightly hazy appearance. Quickly dissipating head.

Taste - also very unique. Excellent citrus hop flavor...definite english influence overall...balanced by biscuity estery maltiness. Very old world tasting.

Mouthfeel is great...very smooth...nice carbing...small bubbles so as not to create that carbonation sting that interferes with flavor...close to cask like quality.

Overall - I can't put my finger on the aroma/flavor that they have created. I notice it in their other ales. Its like they somehow married english, belgian, and american yeast to create this very unique quality. I can't describe it but I love it.

Try any of Six Point's offerings and you won't be disappointed!

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

I am really happy that Sixpoint is now distributing into New Jersey. I was surprised by Sweet Action in a local restaurant. Now we have four of their beers in the store.

I picked up a four pack of Bengali at the local liquor store... and I was happy to finally taste this beer. Then I shared with my neighbor because my tree fell in his yard (thank you Irene).

I poured the can into a snifter to extend the life on the bouquet of this beer. It smells great. You get the grapefruit and pine smells; along with some floral.

Bengali has that perfect orange haze with a pretty good amount of head on the initial pour.

It tastes amazing. There is a ton of hops, but I didn't get much bitterness. There also wasn't any dry mouth accompanying the hops explosion. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, and I look forward to picking up another four pack (all for me).

4.51/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearence: light amber, thick sticky foam that lasts for as long as I've seen head stick around and eventually settles into nice lacing. Light carbonation. A little cloudy.

Smell; a little bread, pleasant fruit. A touch of not unpleasant sourness. Subtle but enticing.

Taste: wonderful fruit flavor of tangerine, pinneapple and grapefruit. The maltiness compliments the hoppy taste In a nearly perfect way. The bitterness is perfectly balanced with the fruit and malt and far from offensive.

Mouthfeel: suprprisingly light. Very smooth. A touch of dryness but not a dry overall experience. Carbonation is light, as it appears to be.

Overall. Refreshing but just filling enough, , drinkable all year. Really impressive and probably caters to a wide range of beer drinkers. Great to introduce novice drinkers to the vast world of craft ales.Would buy again.

4.53/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

ANOTHER fabulous canned beer. I had this and Oskar Blues G'Knight yesterday evening during a BBQ I held at my place (along with so many other beers). This one REALLY stood out. It's hard to believe how under the radar this brew is. A very smooth drinkable IPA with a fabulous hop profile. It's not an egregious amount of hops either. It's just right. I'll be drinking plenty of this going forward.

4.54/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I'm not an over the top hops lover. This IPA was great for me. Great look to it with a decent sized head. You get a great aroma of the hops when your nose hits the glass. Crisp flavor with no lingering bitters on the aftertaste. Great beer. Will have many more of these.

4.54/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fantastic. The beer pours a nice orange/yellow with a nice head that trails the glass. The smell had a lot of great hop notes to it while also getting a little bit of sweetness from the malt. The taste was similar with pine and floral notes from the hops and then a mellow crisp finish. A very well balanced beer that made for a delicious experience. Would definitely recommend.

16 oz. can poured into a half pint tasting glass

Appearance : a slightly orange haze color . Not much of a head ont his one even with an aggressive pour it disappeared quickly.

Smell : this beer smells wonderful. Very pungent hop forward aromas. Lots of pine resin and grapefruit citrus aromas. I am very impressed with the smell of this one.

Taste : lots of maltiness and very well balanced with terrific hoppy goodness. The hoppy bitterness really lingers on my palette for a long time.

Mouthfeel : medium body with light carbonation

Overall : this is a beer I would like to have again and again. This is why I drink craft beer so I can experience great beer like this one. This beer is very well done the only thing it lacks is some lacing and head retention . But that is easy to get over because this beer has great aroma and taste.

4.55/5  rDev +16.1%

thanks to dmeadows for this one! 32 oz growler into pint glass. This beer has eluded me for the most part- I've had a sip or two but have never gotten a full glass.

A- Glowing amber, large bubbles, nice 1cm ivory head that settles. Lively carbonation.

S- Simcoe? Dank pine.

T- Sweet caramel malt and a bright, vibrant fruity hop bite. Immensely flavorful. Hops are also floral, a bit earthy/resiny, very bitter. The bitterness builds.. it's titanic for a 6.5% beer. Malt is very sweet but is cut by the bitterness. Almost a half-mast burton baton- malt is wonderful.

M- Nice malt flavors really compliment and build upon the hops- very well balanced. Oh so drinkable.

O- Very impressive. I'm surprised this one's rated @ ~4.0 . This is a very tasty IPA- can't wait for it to hit cans. A must-buy.

4.55/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thick murky apricot color with a small head that vanishes fast. There is some beautiful lace left on the sides of the glass.

Smell is clean maltiness with some citusy floral hoppiness.
This is an extremely well balanced and tasty APA. Excellent up front hops and malt with a slight chalky mouthfeel but nothing that would detract from the enjoyment of this fine ale.

Extremely smooth and drinkable for the style. One of my favorite American IPAs or APAs.

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from a 16oz can into a pint glass, the beer is a bright orange-copper coloring, hazy and opaque, with a two inch frothy, foamy, bright white head that sits lightly atop the brew. Holy crap does this smell good! Aromas of a sweet citrus blend, with discernable orange and grapefruit characteristics, as well as a heavy dose of green, leafy, resinous hops. Almost a hint of marijuana in there, too. Smells amazing! Flavors hit you with a more foresty/cedar hopping, with a sharp bitterness at the end, balanced (somewhat) with the citrus tartness and a caramel malt sweetness. The balance is more hopcentric, but that bodes well in my house. The finish is mostly hoppy, with slight hints of the citrus tart and sweet. The finish is a little clingy, with some citrus highlights and hops spicing. The finish is unique, because it is clingy, but also crisp. Very tasty beer!

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%

On cask at Sunset Grill/Tap in Allston.

Golden amber body with a lot of white head and lacing.

Floral hop aromas very noticeable.

Taste is rather mild, but in a good way. Some sweetness up front followed by some hop bite. Very nice.

Good mouthfeel, and great drinkability. Very smooth, very balanced and tasty. I could drink this all night.

My first sixpoint brew, and I'm very impressed.

4.57/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had it at Posto in Somerville Square. Had it on tap as it poured a golden copper color. Nice lacing. It had a smell, but for the life if me I don't know what it is. Had a great hoppy taste. Fantastic malty blend, but it is the crispness of the drink and hoppiness that hits home. Very refreshing beer that doesn't seem like a show stopper for the night sitting at only 6 percent. Good stuff

4.58/5  rDev +16.8%

Alright more beer in a can and more Sixpoint! The first one I had from them was absolutely awesome. Hoping the Bengali does not disappoint me here.

Poured out of my can into my glass and wow! Huge nice perfect big white head. It stuck on the glass all the way down. Perfect nice hazy orange color. Big bold massive hop aroma there too. Wow, this is interesting and enticing.

Tasted awesome! Nice citrus and pine flavor and lots of bready malt. Almost like breakfast toast with preserves! :-)

Amazing mouthfeel. Creamy at the same time bright and refreshing.

Overall, this is one awesome refreshing brew. It absolutely hit the spot on a hot day.

4.61/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

On a whim, I tried this at one of my favorite eateries in the city. A tall boy in a can with a name like "Bengali Tiger"? Something was up.
I could not have been more surprised, in a good way no less. Poured into a typical pint glass, this beer really opened up both in head and aroma. The head is thick and pillowy, leaving lots of lacing and striping (ergo the name). The aroma really punches you in the nose and encourages you to bring it in and experience more of it.
The taste can grab you. Lots of hops, but not too fruity. Lots of malt without being lost in the hops. Lots of bitterness but not so much that it can blind you, and the underlying sweetness adds balance.
I have since procured a half-barrel of this to have at home. On tap, we all agree that it is slightly more tame and, if possible, even more drinkable.

4.63/5  rDev +18.1%

The pour was just wonderful. Clear as day with a rich orange tinted amber color that held together very well. Nice two inches of head on top quicky settled down to a thin film which thoroughly coating the entire inside of the glass to the point nothing could be seen inside. The I lean in for a whiff. Holy citrus knockout. This thing is a cannon of hops. Rich orange and tangerine notes lined with loads of pineapple and grapefruit. This is just insanely fresh. Even warming does nothing to depart from the super fresh hops that are just owning my face right now. Intense is not even the right word for it. Crisp and clean taste offers more of the same, just intense and crisp, hop flavor all over the place. Pineapple and grapefruit dominate, clean dry finish with super sticky resin like flavors, not an ounce of balance here and none needed.

4.64/5  rDev +18.4%

Wow! This is a fantastic, very drinkable IPA. I love this, and will make sure I always have some on hand.

Great grapefruit nose that I can smell from a foot away.

The taste matches the smell. Pretty citrusy hop forward with a pretty subtle malt backbone. Very little sweetness or taste of alcohol.

If you're a hophead interested in a session IPA, give it a try. Very impressive. I could drink this all night long.

4.67/5  rDev +19.1%

Ok, so I had to discard my "buy in can, drink from can" rule for this one. Primarily because they even assume that you will use a glass in the description ("[...] the lacing of stripes around your glass [...]").

BUT, I must note, that I am reviewing this beer on the second round which I decided to drink straight out of the can - let me just say, the glass provided the appearance and smell from the head, but the can gives the rest!

A - I almost shed a tear. Bright cloudy orange color - just as it should be! The head was decent for an IPA, and receded fairly quickly as expected from an IPA. Although I have only one [very] minor problem...where's that lacing that they talked about?!

S - Then a did shed a tear! SO FRUITY and HOPPY! Just what I wanted to smell. Nothing off the wall or unexpected really, but what makes this beer's smell so amazing is that it is so powerful! It smells like I just cut open an orange right in front of me whilst brewing an earthy tea. which happen to be two of my favorite things. Seriously, this beer smells like its rocking! Maybe that's mostly because you don't expect that to come from a can!

T - Like orange rind, kumquats (no, that's not a joke. yes, that is a fruit.), grapefruit, covering bitters from the hops. and it is hoppy, just well complimented by the fruitiness. Kind of reminds me of Smuttynose's Finest Kind.

M - Creamy? That certainly is not expected, but it kind of is. Yet, it is also very smooth and drinkable; and unbelievably refreshing when chilled! When it warms up a little it's not as refreshing, but you seem to be able to pin-point the flavors and notes much easier.

O - Honestly, I have always had the ignorant opinion of not caring anything about Sixpoint and since Brooklyn Brewery had already won me over. BUT, this one makes me want to try more! Still, there's something about this beer in a can that makes it fantastic. It might become the new canned-beer-favorite for me. I could easily blow through a 4pack of these and I can't wait to have a few with my family over the summer. But I was planning on getting a case of Brooklyn Summer Ale? Pshhh!! This trumps that completely! I need to get my hands on a case of Bengali Tiger for my summer vacation.

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%

Mmmmm... Tried this first at my local's IPA tasting. It won in my opinion. Very nice ale with them citrusy, piney hops that I so adore.

16oz can (love that we're starting to see fine ales in cans, as I'm an outdoorsman) poured into a 20oz "Liberal Pint" glass. Cloudy, amber, unfiltered. A fine looking brew. My nose may be failing me, as the aroma of this dry-hopped ale failed to wow me.

The first sip did not fail. Nor did subsequent sloshes. Light lacing (sorta tiger stripes I spose) as the fine flavors seep to my soul.

Yep, there's a new brewery in town (Brooklyn!) and they're serious. New to me anyway as I'm in Boston, but several weeks back, on a visit to NYC, I tasted a gravity-poured Sixpoint Signal Rauchbier at the Blind Tiger. It was to die for.

Cost was $10/4 16oz cans. A little high but no regrets.

4.69/5  rDev +19.6%

On tap at Sunset.

Wow! This beer is fantastic. An instant favorite, especially among American single IPAs. This is a category that's glutted with mediocre beers, and along with the Deschutes Inversion, this is one of the more interesting, complicated IPAs on offer.

A fantastic, hazy, orangey-brown color -- slightly opaque, which seems to be a Sixpoint trademark. A delicious nose: all kinds of herbs and summer fruit balanced by a strong but not overly-assertive bitterness. Well-rounded hoppiness in the taste -- East Coast breweries! steering clear of the Pine-Sol flavor that seems to be all the rage on the West Coast. A surprising depth of flavor that stays constant long into the aftertaste without an overly-malty bitterness on the finish.

All in all, a fantastic brew from one of the best breweries in the U.S. I would buy this beer in six packs if Sixpoint bottled their beers. I would buy them by the case.

4.7/5  rDev +19.9%

We pop the tab and pour a brew of dark tawny, and dirty orange. The color is not uniform, moving at points towards the lightest brown. It holds a one finger head the color of cream. This recedes at a medium pace into a soft and creamy film around the top and edges of the glass. Lacing is pretty and patterned, sitting thick. There is a thick haze, but no sediment is noted. Carbonation appears standard. The aroma explodes with an insane array of inviting and unique components. Off the top there is a leafy tobacco component, with fresh aloe leaf. The hops are equally as potent, with a dry, grassy, hay-like nose. The malts are clean and pale, with flecks from a more tart, more drying, rye. On the far back, and with warmth, comes cumin and a metallic softness from a vegetable cream soup. As we sip, the leafiness of the nose becomes immediately apparent. Malts are strong of barley and rye, while the hops speak of herbal twangs and tannins. The middle drives forward with an orange and peach sweetness, with bittering rind to cut and balance. The finish is of steely grain affording further bitterness, and a grassy barnyard hop. The aftertaste breaths of spices of far eastern cooking, graininess of dirty malts, minerals, and those leafy hops that were present throughout. The body is medium, with a pleasant thickness, with the carbonation reaching medium to high, but not going overboard. There is a beautiful slurp and creaminess to each sip, with a contrasting chewy and gritty feel. The mouth is coated and cooled, with a partial drying character to make for a very satisfied mouth. The abv is appropriate, and this beer has immense drinkability.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this beer was the inclusion of those weird spices, and the leafiness. This was available in both the nose and the taste, making for something wildly unique for any style of ale. The hops and malts were also both pleasing, striking a fine balance. On top of all of this, the feel was dynamic, with both soft and robust components, putting this beer over the top for us.

4.73/5  rDev +20.7%

16 oz can poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint
6.4% ABV, 62 IBU, 13 SRM, Best before 12JAN2013 on bottom of can

A - Sexy from head to tail, the foam rises to the occasion, completely covering the pint with delicate but chunky lace as it slowly falls to a plateaued pile of suds. Below is well-carbonated and moderately hazed pint of shimmering golden orange beer that looks incredibly delicious.

S - Bengali Tiger shows it's east-coast influence with moderate earthy notes from the hops rather than the explosive citrus from the west coast. Mild fruit attributes do emerge though, gently suggesting peach, grapefruit, and dried apricot. Like walking through a field of wheat, the nose has a farm-like refreshing characteristic of soft hay and pale male with a dribble of caramel finish for great balance.

T - Malt isn't an afterthought in this IPA; it's a brilliantly constructed base; a playground for hops. Toasted bread and biscuit notes are laced with honey and caramel but the real treat is the quick, feline-like attitude change to hops. Tree bark and pine resin earthiness overlap the undertones of fruit found in the nose.

M - Medium-full bodied, Bengali Tiger is a smooth-drinking IPA with moderate carbonation, a dry-hopped dry bite, and lingering bitterness, snapping out like a retractable claw, all coming together for a fantastic experience.

O - Sixpoint Bengali Tiger asserts it's bitterness and hop glory in a smooth, fluid fashion, balancing against the tasty malt backdrop. Quite flavorful and forward, this IPA remains drinkable while satisfying the hop-head in us all.

4.73/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

SixPoint - Bengali Tiger - 16fl oz

Look - Can means business. Pours a hazy darker amber and then settles. Full, frothy head. Negligible carbonation.

Smell - Hops over malt, some citrus pine. Scent is overall subtle.

Taste - Tart malty bite with hoppiness around the outside. Spice, citrus (pine), and resin abound.

Mouthfeel - Once the initial wave passes, hops rest on the sides. Citrus (pine) and resin rest in the back of your throat. Smooth but hearty.

Overall - Quite a unique and flavorful brew. One of SixPoint's finer brews.

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%

got to sample this can from one of my all time favorite breweries sixpoint everything i had so far from them i have either liked or loved i have not had a bad experience yet

ok here she goes the appearance is awesome super nice big fat head on this one and the lacing is outstanding

aroma like a huge pine forest smell and there is some citrus fruits in there as well i also detect some biscuit and bready malt character

taste is real subtle on the back end i taste a lot of super fruit bitter hops upfront then on the back end less of the hops and more the nice subtle bread character

mouthfeel light in the carbonation but just enough to make the hops sing

overall this is one of the best ipas i had recently and one of my favorite beers from sixpoint so far

4.75/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love Six Point Resin, so wanted to try this. This is pretty tasty. Nice and smooth hoppy taste complimented with an amber color. Would get again in a heartbeat.

Bengali Tiger from Sixpoint Brewery