Bengali Tiger - Sixpoint Brewery

Bengali TigerBengali Tiger

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 04-22-2005

The original Sixpoint homebrewed IPA formulation, first brewed in 1999 and released commercially in 2005.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bengali Tiger Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,250 | Reviews: 590
4.37/5  rDev +10.9%

I tried this one on cask at dba in NYC on a weekend afternon. This is just a really nice IPA. Super drinkable and great taste. The hops are strong but well-balanced in the overall flavor. I would prefer it to be lower ABV to make it more of a session beer. It has a substantial body, but is still refreshing. IMHO, I definitely prefer this fine ale over some of the IPA's out there that taste like they were made as part of a contest to see who can add the most hops to a micro-brew.

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

16oz can into a shaker pint glass.

Pours a nice golden color with an off white head. Smells of resinous piney and citrus hops. Taste is of citrus with a nice background of caramel malts. Nice lingering bitterness. Medium body with a nice level of carbonation that makes the hops really pop. Overall a nice IPA that I would buy again.

4.45/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is dark but hazy orange leaning a bit towards amber. Two fingers of off-white head after an aggressive pour from the tallboy can into a 20 oz.goblet.not much lace on the glass, with a medium amount of carbonation visible

S: Holy hops! as soon as the can was cracked you get hit with the smell of hops! Also some slight citrus and piney resin come through once it's poured.

T: Smells like it tastes...hops, pine resin and citrus, all well balanced with a bit of malt.

M: It has a medium mouthfeel.The carbonation is at the high end of medium. Somwhat of a dry finnish.

O: tasty and easyto drink...gonna head to the 'fridge for another! Cheers!!!!

4.69/5  rDev +19%

On tap at Sunset.

Wow! This beer is fantastic. An instant favorite, especially among American single IPAs. This is a category that's glutted with mediocre beers, and along with the Deschutes Inversion, this is one of the more interesting, complicated IPAs on offer.

A fantastic, hazy, orangey-brown color -- slightly opaque, which seems to be a Sixpoint trademark. A delicious nose: all kinds of herbs and summer fruit balanced by a strong but not overly-assertive bitterness. Well-rounded hoppiness in the taste -- East Coast breweries! steering clear of the Pine-Sol flavor that seems to be all the rage on the West Coast. A surprising depth of flavor that stays constant long into the aftertaste without an overly-malty bitterness on the finish.

All in all, a fantastic brew from one of the best breweries in the U.S. I would buy this beer in six packs if Sixpoint bottled their beers. I would buy them by the case.

easy drinking ipa.

4.44/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a mason jar. Why? Because it was clean.

A- gorgeous. When poured it leaves an off-white head upon a perfect orange body. As you drink the lace sticks to the glass like a sheet of ice and refuses to withdrawl.

S- different. The piney/citrus notes are there like any other ipa, but with a twist of caramel, bread & butter. It simply drops the "drink me" bomb. Obviously, I submit.

T- once again, bread and citrus; with a heavy touch of pine. The caramel cuts nicely against the hops, but doesn't hinder the resins from asserting their roles.

M- full and refined. Silky yet sparkling.

O- much better than I expected. I was assuming it to be just another ipa, but was pleasantly surprised.

4.37/5  rDev +10.9%

16oz tall boy from Beckley's Motel and Liquor. Poured into a Tommy's Pizza pint glass.

As seems to be the Sixpoint trend, no head to speak of. I am perfectly fine with this with an IPA due to any "absorption" the head has on the hops, so fine with me. Otherwise, good but standard IPA fare. Solid orange-yellow appearance, cloudy, very much welcome.

Smell was great. No particular hops are listed, but I feel like I'm smelling simcoe or cascade. Not at all abrasive or "wet," just a solid IPA smell.

Taste is where the damn thing grows to love. Very solid, almost thin, but goes down easy and simple. Solid hop burn, low alcohol interference, and beautiful. Again, feeling of simcoe and cascade hops primarily.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Thin enough to drink, thick enough to keep on drinking. Slight resin on the mouth, but I'm a fan of that. Every sip tastes new.

4.48/5  rDev +13.7%

This was just released in the area. excited to try it. best of Sept 29th on the bottom of can.

A:pours almost a redish brown. nice 2 finger head.
S:smells of citrus, herbal, slight malts in the background.
T:wow , there is a spice that hits right away, followed by a smooth malt thats blends and finishes with an orange citrus. bitterness cleanses the mouth. hops are id say moderate. spice/citrus shine here.
M: Beautiful mouthfeel on this as the malts (though hidden underneath) smooth and round out the more agressive spice and citrus.

Bottom line. I'm loving this. at 6.5 ABV its quite drinkable. i had no idea what to expect when getting this. liked the idea of a 16oz IPA in a can and can honestly say this may be one of my go tos. Im lucky to be in the distrubution area of the newly canned sixpoints. If you you can get Sixpoint, try it. its not Ruination, Pliny, Hopsickle or your your other big hopped west coasts. Im tempted to say its akin to Victorys hopdevil due to the herbal spices that lend to the hops but its on another level from Hopdevil.
Great stuff.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

A - Orange in appearance with a small head that dissipates quickly.

S - Citrusy, orange and grapefruit.

T - Malts balance out the citrus to produce a well rounded taste. Hops still provide most the flavor, but not overkill.

M - Medium body and carbonation, nice dry finish.

O - A decent IPA, but not good enough to be a top tier.

4 pk tall boy cans into a German pilsner mug, excellent head and lacing. The hops make themselves evident very quickly, floral to piney. Medium amber tone, with just enough malt to balance that dry-hop all out. Repeat buy for sure. It's about time Sixpoint started distributing. Sixers would've been nicer.

3.91/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 16oz can into a Super Bowl XLVI pint glass

Pours a dark amber color with a small off white head that lingers very nicely. Smells very nice, fruity and well balanced. At first taste this beer is excellent very fresh with a crisp finish of hops that flits off the tongue after a short stent. Has a nice peachy flavor that complements the lemony hops very nicely. Mouthfeel is about right for a pale ale, very delightful to drink. One of the better craft beers I have had out of a can. I notice that others are following the canning trend and I am a fan. Keep up the good work guys.

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

A very nice, drinkable IPA. Good body and mouthfeel from the malts balances a resiny, piney hop finish that adds the refreshing bitterness of a classic IPA. The rich copper color is fine, and the lacey headlines that are left on the pint glass do lend themselves to the tiger stripe appelation. Sixpoint should get points for their creative labeling, but you have to read between the lines to figure out the style. I would like a deeper aroma given how solid this beer is. This beer is unusual as it can stand alone, or one could have two or three and still appreciate it its depth. A rare, and appreciated, quality.

3.82/5  rDev -3%

Poured from a growler into a snifter.

Appearance: orange-amber color with a thin white head. Decent lacing throughout the glass.

Smell: strong floral hops scent. Very enjoyable.

Taste: a bit malty. Slightly hoppy. Relatively dull.

Mouthfeel: needs more carbonation. Could be the pour, but I don’t think it’s a problem with the growler, I just got it a few hours ago.

Overall: not a bad IPA. I am hoping the remainder of the growler isn’t so flat and I just messed up my pour somehow.

1.89/5  rDev -52%

Was really looking forward to this. This was my first Sixpoint Beer. Cracked it open and had it in a 16oz snifter. First beer of the night so no influence on my palate.

Appearance: Very nice straw/orange color. Noticed a lot of floating sediements, a little more then I am use to but in line with most non filtered ipa's.

Smell: First thing I smelled was the hops then the citrus. Not quite a grapefruit smell but along those lines.Then the pine needles exploded

Taste: This is where things went bad. I am not sure if it was a bad can (date was fine) but it tasted like a belgian ipa that finished with a weird sour hop note. For it being 62ibu i was thinking it would have a hoppier taste. The malt was a touch over powering. Not a very balanced ipa.

Mouthfeel: Malty but seemed under carbinated.

Overall: I hate dumping beer but i drank about 4 ounces and just couldn't drink anymore.
It just wasn't my thing where i love ipa's. Next im going to try Resin and hope thay is better then this.

crisp and very refreshing beer

An American IPA with almost a little bit of a Belgian touch. A complex yeast, malt, hops and citrus scent and flavor permeate through the nose and mouth.

Appearance is a slightly murky, yet glowing amber. Not much of a head, but very smooth in appearance, almost milky.

Smell as mentioned is phenomenal. I spent 3 minutes sniffing the empty can I poured out of before tasting it.

Taste is slightly sweet and citrusy, a nice snappy and spicy hops kick, a robust amber malt body and some complexity coming off of a combination of all these elements. Interestingly with such a strong character of flavor, this doesn't linger bitterly on the pallette, but finishes off smooth and clean, somewhat dry.

Mouthfeel is fantastic. Very smooth and silky, but with nicely balanced carbonation.

An incredible beer, very flavorful, nice character and easily drinkable, though its sophistication asks of you to nurse it and savor it.

4.26/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours a faintly cloudy pale amber, creamy white head.

Aroma of clean citrusy, spicy, piney-resiny hops (Centennial?), against a hint of caramel. Hop character is very fresh and lively.

Opens with a resiny, herbal hop bitterness, grapefruit, spicy, resiny hops, against a background with hints of toasty, light caramel malt. Bitterness is prominent, but not overwhelming (reminds me of the balance in DFH 60 Minute IPA). Finishes dry, hoppy and spicy.

Medium bodied, mouthfeel is faintly slippery and creamy.

An excellent IPA, very hoppy, but balanced and drinkable.

4.4/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured from a growler from Montauk Beer and Soda (MTK, NY)

A. A nice slightly dark ipa, a little cloudy with a great orange/amber hue, usually has a nice head but growler was opened two days ago... so there's that

S. A sweet floral aroma not to pungent

T. Bittersweet, great floral citrus ipa notes with a smooth sweetness finishing it up really great

M- Soft and refreshing, can't comment much here on carbonation, but it has retained a good bit of bubbly over two days, and doesn't feel like flat soda.

Bengalli Tiger is a great unique IPA, after suggesting it to friend to order it who usually drinks lefe and similar styles, he proclaimed it as the best beer I have ever told him to order so it is rather approachable while remaining a great example of the style, go grab some cans of this you wont regret it

4.15/5  rDev +5.3%

16 oz. can poured into a Bell's pint glass.

Appearance: Clear amber. Thick off-white head with staying power.

Smell: fruity hops. Grapefruit. Orange.

Taste: Piney/Fruity hop character. Really nice. Balances well with bready malts. Finishes resin-y, which lingers on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Stickey resins. A smooth drinker for the amount of complexity.

Overall: I really enjoyed this beer. Nice balance.

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

This beer is the soundtrack of our lives. Mine and Marilyn's together with Rocco and Gia in tow. It's the miles of endless parking in our neighborhood, circling the blocks for that single sequestered spot. A bootleg rendition of Springsteen's glory days back in the late 70s before he got too big for the backstreets and let go of the hand of the average man. It's the bank telling us we are Clear to Close and thereby capable of shouldering our quantity of debt. It's a snuck cigarette on the fire escape and feeling my age. Quietly clenched fists of rage and a mouth to voice this subtle, insidious desperation. Rocco is having emotional problems; he is held hostage by his anxiety. It breaks my heart to see my boy in this his fifth year of pain. And not to have any answers for him, since when does it get any better? As men we are only anchored down by more of the same. Marilyn has turned to prescription pills if only to take off the edge. A mild dose of powders that puts her to sleep by 8:30 in the evening. That's one way I suppose, to let your life pass you by. But used to be the day wasn't merely something you fought to get through.

Because somewhere there is a picture of us, from back in the early days when it was just us two. Though there must have been at least one other there who had the camera. It's a shot of me and Marilyn before she became my wife. When we walked out on a piece of property my father bought at the edge of the National Park, and the road then was only a dirt trail up through the pines. It's late November in the picture, and we are in jackets and hats. At some point Marilyn has turned back and pressed herself into my chest. I am looking down saying something to her, and she is almost smiling into the lens. My girl always knows where the camera is. And that's when the photo was taken. The evergreens all around us and a low cloud cover that later in the day would turn to snow. A cold smell of the end of Fall, clean and gray. Calm. And that's how I best prefer to remember us. It's my favorite picture of us I hold in my head, and I'm not even sure where the actual physical, document has gotten to. Maybe we'll find it in the move.

I raise this glass to the past six years of our marriage. In a matter of days we will embark on the next phase of our lives, as we evolve from a thus far as renters and become first time homeowners. Here's to the people we are soon to be and the ups and downs of a long life lived together. Friends may come and go and the kids grow old and find roads of their own. But, me and my baby stand steadfast--forever frozen in that moment of flash.

Update:What happened. A month ago I am in love with this after buying a .16 and having some friends over to enjoy. The other night I am in W-Burg @ Mugs and I have a pint followed by an Ithaca Flower Power.
The Tiger changed color from an awesome orange to a pretty standard IPA copper gold. What was worse was the things that got me excited about this beer were gone (pine citrus) in balance unlike Flower Power which you know is gonna have heavy focus on those flavors.
So I am guessing my .16 came from Brooklyn and the tap at Mugs came from their outsourcing brewer in PA.
What a shame.
Next week I go to Minn and fill my luggage with cans of Surly.

5 Gal Log. Amazing color and balance. Love the pine and citrus peal, great head.
I am happy to say I have found a beer that stands up to Two Hearted Ale, Masala Mama, Captain Lawrence DIPA, Surly Furious and Pliny The Elder(almost).
Most important to me is it is brewed in my area.

I like this offering of an American IPA. When One thinks IPA you are prepared for a front load of hops and dry finish. American IPA's like to really get aggressive with the hops which is something I personally like.

This offering from Sixpoint switches that up on the drinker in a really positive way. The front end of this beer has a great, sweet malty smell in a well developed head. The mouth feel is excellent and the finish is what really makes this beer stand out-Sixpoint got this right. The finish brings you from the malty body to a great citrus hop finish, real clean and very tasty. This IPA is one that deserves to be consumed alone without any pairing assistance from food.

4.29/5  rDev +8.9%

Had this American IPA at Canal Street pub in Reading PA. Right next to Legacy Brewing. Poured a deep gold. not much head just some fine lacing.

Nice floral aroma mixed with citrus in the nose and the tongue. Grapefruit and bready, just a tinge of sweet. This tiger had a smooth mouthfeel, low carbonation. can u say hops? Bitter and balanced, no pucker. Very drinkable. U can definitely can have more than one. Danny Likie !!

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank from a Duvel Tulip, best before 20/05/2014.

A - Orange to amber colours, head is big, big bubbles that fall apart quickly.

S - Citrus, lime, resin, pine, classic American hop aromas.

T - Big hit of citrus and grapefruit flavours, malt flavours are difficult to detect, finishes with a strong bitter hit, pretty tasty.

M - Kind of a hard, mineral like mouth feel, carbonation seems a bit heavy, the bitterness is really coating my mouth.

O - A tasty beer, good hop aroma and flavours, with a nice clean fermentation character.

4.42/5  rDev +12.2%

A - Poured into Sierra Nevada bulb glass. Nice dark orange color with nice lacing and head.

S - Smells soo citrusy. Smells hoppy. Smells like a good IPA to me.

T - Great malt backbone with just enough hops in the foreground. It's a hoppy IPA but not too bitter at all. Malt flavors are definitely more prominent than the hops. Very drinkable beer.

M - On the lower end of carbonation but it has a good mouth feel. Not a thin IPA by any means.

O - This a good IPA that drinks easily. It has great hop presence but it isn't too overly bitter. Good malty IPA. I would definitely drink more of Bengali Tiger.

Bengali Tiger from Sixpoint Brewery