Bengali Tiger - Sixpoint Brewery

Bengali TigerBengali Tiger

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 04-22-2005

The original Sixpoint homebrewed IPA formulation, first brewed in 1999 and released commercially in 2005.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bengali Tiger Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

4.08/5  rDev +3.6%

Split a pounder can with my brother. Poured at room temp into a snifter. The beer pours a cloudy orange hue with minimal but densely packed bleached white head. Aroma is citrusy grapefruit and some grass mixed with some general vegetable notes. Overall pretty good mix of hops and no booze or malt balance.
First sip reveals an average body with relatively smooth texture and mild carbonation. The beer is easy to drink on the physicality side of things.
Flavor has a bit of biscuity malt and mild toffee, but rolls to hops pretty quickly, with grapefruit and grass taking over. I dont find any booze on any sips.
This is a straightforward IPA without burning your palate on hop bite and still letting you know hops are the show.
Solid beer.

3.45/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured into a tulip glass from tall boy

Nice appearance with a hazy orange color and a thick off white head.

The smell is very good and balanced, it has a little bit of everything in it.

Taste started off fine with both the citrus and piney resin but that just turned in to an unpleasant bitterness that was hard to shake. I didn't hate it but it probably won't get a repeat purchase from me.

This is the 3rd Sixpoint beer I have tried after Sweet Action and Righteous Rye. I was mostly disappointed by this beer after really liking the previous two.

2.88/5  rDev -26.9%

the beer has thick head and clear yellow body light carbonation.

smells like an imperial Pilsener rich sweet malty/hay like to me then it adds spicy pine kick that lingers faint on my nose.

Very drinkable light taste then nice long pine needle taste.

Note I forgot to mention this before there is a near my town that made a very pine spruce beer Ode To A Russian Shipwright which is strangely called an American Porter on Beer advocate not sure why since if anything it beer an English Porter at very least.

But I like this beer because it has nice lingering taste but is malty sweet than is not too sweet. I can't tell what hops are in this but I would say this oddly reminds me of another NYC beer Brooklyn IPA an English IPA. I strongly suspect English Yeast it has that english velvet feel going down.

Impression Good but I think NYer's who thought this was like Surly are wrong interesting but leaves me dry I need another beer :) Not this

4.34/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I really love this beer. I was looking for something similar to the Furious IPA I brewed last summer and this was close. Dry-Hop is the way to go!

I will definitely buy this beer again. I'm gonna look for it in my stores for sure!

The cascade hops are on target. Clean taste. I think it's a great any-time beer but definitely something for summer since it comes in a can and is perfect for taking on the river!

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

3.2/5  rDev -18.8%

Thanks to AndrewNations for the slew of Sixpoint & if the second can is as good as Righteous, I'll be...ecstatic. And my first review after the fucked-up change to the grading. Fucking retarded. Why do we contribute to a site that doesn't respect us? Or beer? Wait, I'm a guy. Nevermind.

Big can poured into a big snifter that'll hold it's water well. Shows well-hazed orange. Smells like a gorgeous IPA with drippy pine, but an odd, almost smoky smell intrudes, too.

Bengali Tiger isn't your boring, Murder She Wrote IPA. Like the smell, almost flares with hoppy, syrupy hop pine resins. Strong flavor that reminds me of Salt of the Earth, there's definite saline component that's odd & distracting. Harsh bitterness with only fading pine mingles with the sea salt on the downslide. Sixteen ounces might almost be too much for this character.

This is a decent enough beer, but the saltiness is strange & out of place, & really limits the upside. C+ in the real world.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #54 (July 2011):

Poured from the can: near turbid, orange-amber color with a thick, super-creamy eggshell head. Nose is smacked into blissful submission by a heavy dose of fresh, resiny, piney, citric hops aromas. Very creamy and silky; surprisingly light. Big juicy notes of tangerines with a foundation that’s a bit malty and bready, and touched by caramel. Piney hops with a sticky resiny feel, a dash of pepper, and grapefruit, but like when you were a kid—halved, sectioned from the rind, with sugar sprinkled on top. Man, this is one big can of aggressive hop love! And with all that’s going on, it still finishes clean and dry. To hell with tiger blood! Winning is all about drinking (Bengali) tiger beer.

Bengali Tiger from Sixpoint Brewery