Bengali Tiger - Sixpoint Brewery

Bengali TigerBengali Tiger

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

The original Sixpoint homebrewed IPA formulation, first brewed in 1999 and released commercially in 2005. 64IBU

(Beer added by: Sixpoint on 04-22-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bengali Tiger Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Thanks Tanger.
Poured the 16oz can into my IPA glass, comes out a copper orange with a 2 finger off whit head that reduces to residing ring that leaves some sticky lacing on the glass. The aroma on this beer is big and I love it, a lemon citrus, tangarine, grapefruit, grass and nuts. The taste is full of citrus zest, grapefruit bite with a nutty background and a noticable alcohol. The mouthfeel is a medium body with decent carbonation. A very good IPA, I could get used to this can thing.

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

A dear friend of mine said she was going to bring me some Sixpoint back from Brooklyn, where she moved permanently. I expected 4 different cans, but got 3 different 4 packs!

Best by 01 Dec 2011, so I'd wager its mighty fresh.

Appearance
Poured into a Perfect Pint, this 16oz can makes me want the 22oz Perfect Pint. The beer has a nice head with very good sticky lacing. The beer has a haze to its burning orange color.

Aroma
This is my favorite part of this beer, and almost any IPA in general. The aroma is packed with citrus but stays pretty aggressive. Lime zest is a unique smell that this beer has. Some dank herbal stuff is matched by lovely floral appointments. Some pine and orange round it out.

Taste
This beer is made up of equal parts citrus juiciness and fresh, green bitterness. The pine here is very fresh and tastes sweeter and sappier than the pine in most other IPAs. There are suggestions of orange creme and lemon-lime zest.

Mouthfeel
Very sticky, oily and dry, dry, dry. On second thought, this is my favorite part of this beer.

Overall
A damn solid IPA. I'm glad I was given 4 of these bad boys.

3.98/5  rDev +1%

Thanks Seth for bringing this over for our small tasting.

Poured from can into snifter - Best bu 12/1/11

A: Poured a cloudy orange with two finger head that held retention for awhile then desending into a thin frothy lacing, decent carbonation.

S: Tropical fruit, mango, citrus ,lemon zest, hops.

T: Lot's of citrus, slight pine notes , deep malt backing, bitter hop bite.

Oveall a decent Ipa with lots of flavor , I will be on the lookout for more.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

Presentation: Pint can poured into a Boston Beer pint glass. Chilled nicely.

Appearance: Light brown to dark, deep orange in color. Pours a nice, creamy, beige head of about two fingers.

Aroma: Grapefruit, lemograss and some nice, bready cereal grain notes. Hops are nice, bright and citrusy. Very nicely balanced.

Taste: Lemon, citrus and pineapple notes from the hops upfront. Pine notes and bitter hops hit right after and carry over to a bitter finish. Cereal malt notes interweave throughout as well.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, yet bright, but bordering on too heavy though.

Overall, a nice, easy to drink IPA. Really bright and balanced. Good in most aspects but not great.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Nose: Piney and caramelly at first. Complex blend of sweet and lemon and a hint of dankness.

Appearance: Hazy orange-copper. Creamy head rose and left quickly with just a thin skim remaining.

Taste: Very complex. Fruity sweetness. Grassy bitterness. A little bit bready. Citrus--like sugared grapefruit. Woody, but a little tart. The feel is light but satisfying.

Overall: An outstanding IPA. Great complexity. Fantastic balance. And a lot of flavors.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a hazy orange with a medium sized off-white head. Aroma of citrus peel, pine and earthy notes, mostly Belgian spice with a bit of pepper. Interesting. Flavor follows. Initial quick blast of sweet grapefruit, citrus rind and a touch of sour apple. Turns bitter with drying pine and earthy characteristics. Followed by more dry spice. I got Belgian notes on the finish along with hints of rye and white pepper. Unique flavor and a lot going on, but it works. Very, very dry mouthfeel.

3.43/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Looks like it should be sweeter. As head fades foam leaves lumps floating on top which leads me to believe there is some additive to improve head and lacing. Smells of cascade hops just like sierra nevada pale ale. Taste is simple citrus rind and bitter. The color is deceiving as the malt is low. The hop profile is not complex at all more like a pale ale or English ipa. A good beer if you want a little alcohol taste in your pale ale but not a great American ipa.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

Had this poured from a 16 oz can into a pint glass. The packaging was not dated, but each can was. What good is a best by date if it is on the inside and I can't see it before I buy it?? I don't understand this at all. Luckily this beer appears to have been canned on 6/28 with a best by of 10/28, so it is relatively fresh.

A -A very nice orange color with a really nice medium head.

S: A pretty good smell, but nothing compared to the West Coast IPAs I frequently drink.

T: This tastes good, nothing extraordinary though. Once again, compared to the top notch West Coast IPAs, this doesn't come close to their league. But it is enjoyable.

M: A small hint of alcohol, nowhere near as much as another offering from Sixpoint, Righteous Ale.

O:This is a good beer. Not one I would go out of my way to get, but definitely solid. Nothing extraordinary about this one.

3.43/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured 16oz can into 13oz tulip glass. Pours a hazy orange with a inch and a half white sticky head. Smell is grapefruit, orange, & pine needles. Taste is all that, maybe a little more balanced then smell. Nice carbonation & medium to full body. It is a solid beer for a reasonable price.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

I am really happy that Sixpoint is now distributing into New Jersey. I was surprised by Sweet Action in a local restaurant. Now we have four of their beers in the store.

I picked up a four pack of Bengali at the local liquor store... and I was happy to finally taste this beer. Then I shared with my neighbor because my tree fell in his yard (thank you Irene).

I poured the can into a snifter to extend the life on the bouquet of this beer. It smells great. You get the grapefruit and pine smells; along with some floral.

Bengali has that perfect orange haze with a pretty good amount of head on the initial pour.

It tastes amazing. There is a ton of hops, but I didn't get much bitterness. There also wasn't any dry mouth accompanying the hops explosion. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, and I look forward to picking up another four pack (all for me).

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

16oz. can served in a tumbler. Pours a burnt orange hue with a semi-hazy clarity. Head is a quarter inch, loose, off-white and embedded with pinpricks. Head eventually settles into a solid 1/8th inch skim with some delicate slashes and spots of lacing exposed during the tasting. Nose is somewhat subdued - a suggestion of citrus, tropical fruit and a spicy quality, all on a light malty backbone. Taste is consistent with nose; however, somewhat more watered down. There is also a light citrus rind bitterness dispersed from start to finish, but not really lingering. Mouthfeel is light-medium with a crisp and even carbonation. Overall, pretty darn drinkable; however, there are better IPAs out there. That said, this beer is a totally different animal on-draft. Flavors seem to pop a bit more and there is more of an herbal/hoppy presence than is expressed in the can. Nonetheless, a solid offering that goes down easy.

4.45/5  rDev +12.9%

Can to Stone IPA glass. Big thanks for afksports for this awesome extra.

Pours a beautiful deep orange that glows like nothing I've ever seen. It's very light around the edges and has a center that is verging on amber. This tan head that lasts about 5 minutes. It falls to a thick film, but leaves very impressive lacing throughout consumption.

Smell is very nice. It kind of reminds me of when I was in Yosemite in the winter time. Definite notes of cool icy pine just like after the 4 feet of snow that fell on us in Yosemite. It's back by the citrus and mango that we all know and love in IPAs.

Taste is very nice. I might be biased because I just got off work and this might be the most crisp and clean IPA I've ever had. Just pure citrus beauty and a cool, clean piney finish. Very dry on the end which I love.

Mouthfeel (IMO) is spot on. You can't do any better than what Sixpoint has done with this brew. Its so damn refreshing. Super light mouthfeel with absolutely perfect carbonation.

Overall I was incredible impressed by this beer. It is absolutely a summer's delight.

Brendan, you're the man.

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours an almost clear amber with just under two fingers of fluffy off white head. Decent retention and lacing.

Smell: Sweet malt with a citrus hop profile. Perhaps a little bit on the spicy side.

Taste: Mild citrus hops build in intensity throughout the sip. There is a somewhat sweet malty backbone with a mild spice to it, perhaps a little rye? The finish is bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth carbonation, the finish is mildly slick.

Overall: Not a bad IPA. Slightly underwhelming. My least favorite of the four Sixpoint beers I've tried, but still a good beer.

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

Received 3 of these in a recent trade.

A- DARK orange. I would call it murky. Pours with a big frothy head that is not wanting to abate. It filled up the snifter so I have no idea about lacing yet.

S- Wonderful, big hoppy citrus smell.

T- Really crisp and refreshing. There is a slight bit of odd aftertaste. This being the third can I have had and I have not noticed it in the other 2 cans that were consumed over the past month or so. I think just because it is a little bit older. It says' Best consumed by Sept 29 '11 and I figured with another month left it should be fine, but I taste some degradation in flavor. The other 2 were top notch and fantastic so I am not knocking it from 1 abnormality.

M- Very nice. Thick enough yet highly, and I mean highly drinkable.

O- A fantastic IPA. I'd gladly seek this one out again.

4.45/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured form a 16oz can into a 500ml stein. A frothy, 2-finger head with a hazy, beautiful body color reminiscent of cherry wood with a honey stain.

S: Smells like raw hops, with big citrus and fruit notes. Grapefruit, nectarine, pine needles, well-seasoned firewood. Very inviting, and airy smelling; not dense.

T: Even-keeled, with a fruity front and a bitter back. It transitions from tangerine/peach on the tongue beautifully into a pine/woodsy taste on the swallow, with those citrus notes throughout. A complex, well-balanced journey of flavor that doesn't vary wildly out of the expected flavor profiles. The blend and harmony of sweet peach flavors with the standard IPA resin/citrus/pine flavors makes this beer a standout.

M: Thick, without being dense, thin on the sides of the tongue, but gritty enough to hold your attention. A nice, dry, almost tanniny after-feel.

O: "A solitary plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat" (Exotic, yet in the wheelhouse of expected pleasure).

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured from a 16 oz can into a tulip

Deep orange pour with pillow thick white head. The body of the beer has a fiery glow. Lots of small carbonation bubbles shooting up the sides of the glass.

Faint citrusy hops followed by a bready malt character. Some spicy hops at the back end. Hints of lemon grass and honey. Has a very nice balance, but it lacks the aroma of a bold ipa.

Citrus and lemony flavors with a bready malt backbone placed in the middle. Finishes slightly bitter, but not as assertive as I thought it would be. Lemongrass, orange peel and a smattering of hops are at the forefront.

Medium bodied with a close to creamy mouthfeel. Has sharp, mouth tingling carbonation. Fantastic drinkability as this refreshes like a wheat beer.

A solid ipa that has tame citrus and spicy hops. I would have enjoyed a bit more boldness and bitterness; however, as it stands, it is flavorful and smooth drinking. With an increased hop profile and some added sweetness this would be a true standout.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another awesome hopped up ale from Sixpoint, at least I'm guessing it will be. Considering I'm in love with this brewery and it's early in our relationship so I have to be cautious about falling head over heels. This is their IPA so if this drinks as well as the other beers in their sampler than it could very well seal the deal. Aroma scares me not because this is a Bengali Tiger but because the hop nose isn't as expressive as I would hope for. Tame citrus spicy, even green onion garlic notes coming through but in a timid I work with Sigfreid and Roy type of way. As I dive in with my first big gulp, I will say this has hoppy flavors but a mild bitterness hard to estimate it at 62 IBUs. I like the vivid imagery of the label with watch out for the bands of lacing down the sides of the glass these our the stripes, the "mark of the Tiger". Where's the eye of the tiger? I'm not gonna make any brown eye references there, but listen I like my IPAs hoppy and this flavor doesn't pull it off. This is way to safe east coast style IPA still a nice version of a hoppy beer but not like some of the midwest/west coast IPAs that I've grown to love. Balanced IPA I can deal. Mouthfeel is medium bodied linger hop bitterness drys things out, but carbonation is a bit off here I'm not sure why it didn't seem to be an issue in any of their other beers. Overall, I need more hop bitterness to go with the big juicy balanced hop flavor of classic IPAs. I had a Sculpin yesterday, a Two hearted IPA, and a Crooked Tree IPA all with superior hop profiles to this canned offering. One is rarer than the other four compared but all the others were just better.

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

16 oz can poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Amber in color, great half inch white head showing up and stellar lacing throughout.

S: Citrus notes of grapefruit and tangerine, some lemon to in the back.

T: I like this aspect the most about this beer. Good splash of hops with the present of the above notions. Great flavor, as a spice to it, a real one hitter.

M: Clean, good carb action, abv detected without worry.

O: Feel in love with this beer a few years back having in on tap when it showed up every now and then. Stoked about the fact that this beer comes in can form. One of my all time favorite IPA's, it was a treat when it came around when it did, kind of scared now that its at my disposal...

Recommended.

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%

A - a nice semi hazy amber in color with an inch and a half of creamy sticky white head.

S - Smells kind of yeasty similar to "sweet action" with a nice bit of pine and grapefruit hops and a bready cracker base.

T - Taste is fruity with the yeast and then dry with the hops but not overly so. Balanced then with a bit of cracker like malt and finishes hoppy that sticks to the tongue after sipping.

M - Light to medium a very balanced IPA.

Overall it is a solid IPA and I do believe it deserves the rating it gets. Well done Sixpoint! Finally in Pittsburgh!

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks to trxxpaxxs gifting some Sixpoint brews to me. Best before 10/12/11 poured into a NB globe.

A - Pours a hazy dirty orange colo with a 1/2-finger beige head with an orange tint. The head dissipates quickly and there is a little bit of lacing.

S - Smells of yeast, honeyed orange, and pineapples with a hint of malty sweetness and pine. The yeast in the aroma almost gives it the smell of overripe fruit.

T - Malt, yeast and fruit up front that builds in sweetness a little before a pine hop bitterness comes in in the finish with a grassy quality lingering.

M - It burst with the carbonation of really tight fine bubbles despite a relatively inactive appearance. It smooths out toward the end and finishes dry and slightly chalky. A bit of booze warmth is present.

O/D - A decent beer that drinks well. The aroma has kind of a spoiled fruit quality which I didn't care for. It makes up for it with the taste of pungent hops and nice malt up front.

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

So glad to finally see this available in my home state. As odd as it was to find this in 16 oz. cans, it was much better to finally have a chance to have this at here at the house and finally review it. While this isn't as hoppy as its West Coast counterparts, this is a solid beer that can still stack up to them, no pun intended!

The pour to this was a bright hazelnut brown with a head that filled up my pint glass well before I poured everything out of the can. The lacing was not quite as good but present after I finished each sip. As for the taste, it was similar to Green Flash in that there was lots of pine, resin, and "skunk"; and by that, I mean 420 and not the sense that this beer was on the shelf for too long! Lots of bubbles throughout the session too - both in taste and in appearance. A slightly caramel backbone and aftertaste balanced out the hops quite nicely and took the edge off of this, as well.

Sure enough, this is stronger in the alcohol department than the 6.40% would lead one to believe. While it doesn't overpower, this had a slightly boozy character to it and detracted from everything just a notch. That being said, this is just as good as any other IPA that's out there and I will admit, I couldn't taste any of the "can" in the beer itself. Fans of hoppy beers that prefer them on the mellower side owe it to themselves to give this a shot.

2.85/5  rDev -27.7%

9th review on BA
Can into New Belgium snifter.

A: Light caramel/copper with a minimal haze, but still see-thru. 1.5 finger nail head on brisk pour.

S: Something is off on this one. Smells like a candy, unripened fruit mess. I smelled it a couple dozen times, but can't pick up the exact smell.

T: Sweet malt to nothing - this beer just dies. It's definitely missing the hop characteristics I would expect out of such a beer.

M: Nothing. Just nothing pleasing to me at all. Quite bummed about this.

O: Not good. I had high hopes for this beer, but I'm thinking it is an old can or something. Unfortunate considering all the decent reviews this one has received. Much appreciated as an extra, but can't say that I'll see this out at any point in the future - unless it was a fresh can.

3.95/5  rDev +0.3%

My first Sixpoint ale. Pretty stoked to try it.

Pours a hazy orange-amber/copper color with about 2 fingers worth of eggshell white head that recedes quickly to a frothy layer. Leaves nice lacing.

Smell is sweet caramel malt and mostly floral, earthy hops. Some hints of mango and peach. The flavors are there, but they don't really pop too much on the nose.

Floral hops are the dominant note, with a nice caramel malt backbone. There's a little tropical fruit mid-palette, and finishes with some very subtle pine bitterness. Pretty tasty.

Mouthfeel is nice and creamy, medium bodied, good carbonation. Easy drinking.

The more I drank this beer, the more I liked it. It really seemed to open up with some nice citrus and tropical fruit flavor as I went along. And the creaminess of this beer is just spectacular. Just an amazing mouthfeel. I'll definitely pick this up again.

4.03/5  rDev +2.3%

Huge thanks to Palphen for this brew.

I haven't the patience right now for too long of a review, and I'm not sure there's anything too unusual about this beer to merit a longer review. Not very aromatic, a bit of dank, hemp, hops, coconut and pineapple in the nose. Taste is a dankish hop combined with very mild hemp, non-sweet coconut, and basic maltish flavor. I've been wanting to try this for a while and I'm glad I did. Not as good as I hoped and Palphen sent me much better things, but still a very enjoyable beer indeed.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

I have had this beer previous to this review, but I drank my 4-pack so fast I didn't have any left over to sit down and ponder in front of my key board... Now, after listening to Shane Welch talk to Google for an hour and a half I am ready to write a formal review!

Appearance:
Resonating copper body with a dull haze and fluffy pillow head that appears a yellowish white. The lacing left behind is thick and reminds me of a tree gauging birthdays as I take small sips. There are no seen particles floating within this beer.

This is also a great time to consider the packaging of this beer, which I adore. The four packs of pint cans are perfect and provide a generous amount of detail for such a simple design.

Smell:
Tremendous spice and bitterness. Aromas of grain ethanol (surprisingly strong), fresh cut apples (acetaldehyde-ish?), green bananas, and rock candy mixed together to form an intoxicating allure. This is a very fresh smelling beer; I wonder how a spiciness from infused chilies would have built onto this IPA's aroma profile.
I love aromatic hops, they make an IPA worth drinking.

Taste:
Very clean tasting IPA that is not overly bitter and does the beer's aromatics justice. Hoppy resins coat the back of my mouth and draw saliva from my acinar glands. Ample carbonation is required in a beer like this to cleanse and refresh (or else too much raw grapefruit rind sits on my palate).
The bengali tiger delivers a delicious IPA.
Damn good beer...

Mouthfeel:
This is a beer to behold. The mouthfeel is complex and refined. First sips may indicate a sweet beer, but generous carbonation and bittering alpha acids soon take over to provide balance. The beer's bite from its modest 6.4%abv adds great complement to things already in balance (not too boozy, but noticeable). The aftertaste is a lightly lingering bitterness that keeps you tasting the beer, but not resenting it.

Overall:
This four pack is generally priced between $8.59-9.99. When you look at the break down of fluid oz per dollar, you are paying approximately $9 for a growler's worth of beer. Taking into account the delicious flavor and freshness this beer offers, it's more than worth the price.
Bengali Tiger is definitely one of the best IPAs in NY, if not the east coast, and is worth trying. Hands down delicious.

Bengali Tiger from Sixpoint Brewery