Bengali Tiger - Sixpoint Brewery

Bengali TigerBengali Tiger

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 04-22-2005

The original Sixpoint homebrewed IPA formulation, first brewed in 1999 and released commercially in 2005.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,207 | Reviews: 586
4.06/5  rDev +3%

Drank from a 16 oz./473 ml/1 pint can
Served in a pint glass
Thanks to Montrose79 for including this as an extra in our trade.

The beer poured a near crystal clear, medium amber color and was topped by a one-plus finger tall crop of beige foam. Within a few minutes, the head completely dissipated, leaving the beer looking flaccid. I found it quite ironic that the label on the can states, "Note the lacing of stripes around your glass - it is the mark of the Tiger." Unfortunately, the Tiger must not be feeling well today.

An wide variety of fragrant hop notes came through strong in the nose. Lots of tangerine and candied orange peel. Some tropical fruits (mango and pineapple) were also noticeable. Slightly spicy. Rich caramel malts appeared as well. Overall, nicely balanced and quite interesting.

The flavor profile was similar to the aroma, except perhaps a bit drier and more simplistic. Hoppy and crisp. Orange peel was most apparent. Some grapefruit was also noticeable. The hops were well matched by a stiff yet unobtrusive caramel malt backbone. The finish was moderately bitter. Dry and pithy with lingering notes of pine sap and grapefruit rind. At 6.4% ABV, this beer was remarkably quaffable.

Although the large bubbled, prickly effervescence (along with the lack of haze in the appearance) would lead me to believe that this beer is force carbonated, the liquid still managed to maintain a slick creaminess once it settled on my palate. Medium bodied for the style.

Bengali Tiger is an interesting, well crafted and drinkable American IPA. I would encourage anyone looking to satisfy their summer hop fix to pick up a four pack of these tall boys.

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%

I cracked this can open and i could see into the open mouth-- a full inch and a half of headspace before the liquid... This 16 oz can falls 3 fingers short of filling my pint glass--- and that includes the 1.5 fingers of head!

Anyway... Perhaps a rough start? We'll see how things go...

Orangey apricot color with head of shimmering micro-bubbles... This looks fantastic. Awesome retention and lacing.

The smell is a little bland... Like, where's the nose?

The flavor is huuuuge bitter abrasive grapefruit notes. This is literally like a carbonated ruby red grapefruit juice. Wow. It is intense, and not in the best way. It is waaaay to bitter-- nearing Ruination levels, and not nearly flavorful or complex enough.

The body feels overcarbonated, a bit like seltzer water. There is also a very odd pulpy feel going on.

Overall- I'm not sure what's going on with this beer. I'm not loving it, but I'm not sure I'm ready to write it off. I do have another can, so I'll update my review when I crack that open.

EDIT-- and I have thus cracked open said can. Served in my nonic pint and sipped whilst relaxing after work.
My original review had the following ratings:
A-5
S-3
T-2.5
M-1
O-3

This time around I feel I have a better representation of the beer... But I'm still not crazy for it.

The color is dark orange, and any glowing sunset action seems clouded over by a high level of haziness-- this must be how people in LA feel when the watch a sunset.
The aroma remains pretty mild-- some dry bready malt with citrus and pine hops... But not explosive or intense. Just... well, mild.
The flavor improves slightly for me, but not all that much... It follows the nose but again strikes me as a bit underwhelming. Any abrasive bitterness is turned into a pretty pleasant smooth bitter bite that almost pulls off a complimentary role to the rest if the profile. It falls just short however because it dowdy feel assimilated properly, it stands out a bit too much.
The body has tremendously improved. It is medium bodied (for an IPA), but holds plenty of bubbles to scrub my palate with each sip. I think I would love to see a little prickly feel from some assertive dry-hopping, but this is more than adequate.

Overall-- it loses a bit in appearance, but pretty much gains in all other aspects. Not too bad. Not my favorite IPA, but certainly drinkable.

3.9/5  rDev -1%

Big Thanks to Retail01 for this treat he included as an extra in his first trade.

Pours a cloudy dark amber, topped by two fingers of whipped cream, finally a skim surrounded by gargoyle arms of clingy lace.

Lemony sweet in front of the nose, candi and a bit of light grain and toffee, orange peel, and some spicy and tart yeast to round it off. Less complex than I recall from the tap versions I've enjoyed.

Some candi sweet tries to give it up to some crazy bittering hop at the front of the sip, citrus peel and even a bit of pine jump the play, and as it warms caramel joins the fun, though the candi is involved all the way through, and some nice spicy herbal bitter joins, tastefully. It lingers on the palate, but it isn't cloying, per se, though it develops a touch of cough drop to it.

Higher carb. than I remember, almost too high, quite viscous, decent finish.

Nice beer from a solid brewery. Its charm is it isn't an attempt to recreate something, it tries to be different, and partly succeeds.

3.82/5  rDev -3%

Thanks to ShogoKawada for the grip of cans! Poured from a 16oz tall-boy into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

The liquid is a cloudy dark orange to amber gradient topped by an active half-finger of delicate ivory suds. Average retention, sticky lacing.

Dank and lush hop oil aromatics are joined by a gentle caramel/candy-apple sweetness.

Moderately bitter throughout with hints of strawberry, pine, and star-fruit. A persistent maltiness seems a mixture of sweet and pale. Scallion and herbal (marijuana?) flavors come forward in the finish, though there is also a very faint metallic note (and no, I do not attribute this to the can) which I can readily ignore. Just a touch of smoke in the aftertaste especially as the beer warms...

Medium-light bodied, well carbonated, though somewhat thin.

Well balanced IPA, though not remarkable. Great camping beer if you have easy access to it.

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

got to sample this can from one of my all time favorite breweries sixpoint everything i had so far from them i have either liked or loved i have not had a bad experience yet

ok here she goes the appearance is awesome super nice big fat head on this one and the lacing is outstanding

aroma like a huge pine forest smell and there is some citrus fruits in there as well i also detect some biscuit and bready malt character

taste is real subtle on the back end i taste a lot of super fruit bitter hops upfront then on the back end less of the hops and more the nice subtle bread character

mouthfeel light in the carbonation but just enough to make the hops sing

overall this is one of the best ipas i had recently and one of my favorite beers from sixpoint so far

2.81/5  rDev -28.7%

Best by: 29SEP11

A: Toasted apricot ale with a single finger of light maple foam which falls slowly to a sheet of the same. Rings of lace above this ale of limited clarity.

S: Lots of soily, oily hops, not particularly intriguing. Some hints of grapefruit. The hop profile seems pretty similar to Righteous Ale (their Rye).

T: Grassy and grainy. The malts are more prominent than I would prefer in a good IPA. This is improperly balanced for an American IPA, reminds me more of an English IPA.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carb. Nice dry finish.

O: Nothing special here.

3.26/5  rDev -17.3%

Thanks to Trevor for this one.

A: The beer pours a cloudy light amber color with a huge white head that sticks to the glass.

S: This is an IPA? Very...bland aroma. Mostly bread and pale malts with just a hint of floral hops and maybe some tea. Just a little bit of citrus peel and that's about it.

T: The flavor is similarly unremarkable. There is a light bitterness and just a bit of grassy and floral hops. Mild citrus peel notes and a little bit of tea here, too.

M: Medium in body with the carbonation just on the low side of medium.

O: Amazingly bland for an IPA. I've had some pretty decent beers from Sixpoint, so this was a bit of a letdown for me.

3.44/5  rDev -12.7%

I picked this up as a 4 pack of 16oz pounders. I'm a sucker for any kind of canned craft beer.

A- Poured into a large beer mug, I got a short lasting, 2 finger, off-white head which topped a crystal clear orange amber body. Very little lacing to speak of.

S- Sweet and fruity with big citric notes. Slight phenols poking through. Plenty of hops to come…

T- Pretty big taste which is clearly about the hops in this one. Slippery hop oils coat the mouth generously. I’m usually a big fan of any largely hopped IPA, but the flavor from these hops seems to be a pit peculiar. Maybe it’s the varietal; maybe it’s just me…

M- Fairly one sided, sharp hop bitterness which sticks around fairly long. In my humble opinion, the malts could stand to be a bit more pronounced in order to help even it out a bit.

Over all it's a good beer, but I’m not sure I’d actively seek it out for any other reason than craving a 16oz canned IPA.

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%

A - Pours a hazy medium orange color with a one fingered white, creamy looking head. Foam dies down fairly fast and leaves a creamy, thick, ring of white lacing. Carbonation is moderate, starting from the mid sides of my glass. Poured this one into a red wine glass (hey, traveling on business and it seemed more appropriate than a plain old pint glass.

S - Tropical fruit rinds that's pungent and spicy. Fruit mixed of grapefruit, mango, pineapple.

T - Wow!! The hops are shining big and bold with nice grapefruit bitterness bite along with juicy and spicy tropical fruit flavors. Slight malt sweetness up front at the tip of the tongue followed by tropical fruit juicy bitterness and ends with a lingering grapefruit bitterness. There's an ever so slight trace of wetblanket for a brief moment in the middle but it quickly goes away.

M - Medium to heavy medium body, finishes dry

O - Pretty impressive aroma and taste for a sub-7% IPA, it's something I would expect out of a bigger IPA. Definitely worth checking out.

3.72/5  rDev -5.6%

Served in a tulip glass

A: Pours a nice medium amber with a slight orange undertone, pours with a finger of frothy off white head that lingers nicely
S: Very nice grapefruit citrus scents, very slight piney undertones
T: hmmm, a bit odd, the taste is not nearly as strong as the scent would allude, slight citrus hop notes,
M: hits the mouth strong with a bit of carbonation but finishes with a slight dryness that does linger
O: i enjoyed this brew quite a bit, not terribly impressive but has a nice soundness, seems like a quality brew that might be sessionable

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%

16oz tall boy can. Pours a translucent dark amber color with a thin head. Some lacing. Aroma is citrus and piney hops. Resiny. Taste is more of the same. Piney, resinous flavor. Good amount of citrus and bitter. Very bitter and im loving it. Not a very balanced IPA, but it works damn well. I've heard this is a polarizing beer. I definitely like this one. Overall, a solid IPA that's worth having again.

4.58/5  rDev +16.2%

Alright more beer in a can and more Sixpoint! The first one I had from them was absolutely awesome. Hoping the Bengali does not disappoint me here.

Poured out of my can into my glass and wow! Huge nice perfect big white head. It stuck on the glass all the way down. Perfect nice hazy orange color. Big bold massive hop aroma there too. Wow, this is interesting and enticing.

Tasted awesome! Nice citrus and pine flavor and lots of bready malt. Almost like breakfast toast with preserves! :-)

Amazing mouthfeel. Creamy at the same time bright and refreshing.

Overall, this is one awesome refreshing brew. It absolutely hit the spot on a hot day.

3.76/5  rDev -4.6%

This beer is absolutely beautiful. It pours a medium golden orange color that leaves sheets of lacing. It has a half inch of white head which is white and tight and remains as a a bit more than a film on the surface. The aroma is nice, but nothing extraordinary. It is very citrus forward, grapefruit mostly. The beer does taste very good as well, with the same big grapefruit which is really nice, but for me it lacks a desired bitter bite. It comes off as a bit maltier as opposed to a big hop bomb because that bitterness isn't really there. The caramel maltiness is nice, but not really what I was looking for in this beer. Mouthfeel was a bit thick, and it was not quite as carbonated as I would have liked. Overall, this is a very nice and enjoyable beer.

4.53/5  rDev +15%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

ANOTHER fabulous canned beer. I had this and Oskar Blues G'Knight yesterday evening during a BBQ I held at my place (along with so many other beers). This one REALLY stood out. It's hard to believe how under the radar this brew is. A very smooth drinkable IPA with a fabulous hop profile. It's not an egregious amount of hops either. It's just right. I'll be drinking plenty of this going forward.

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

16oz can into a shaker pint glass.

Pours a nice golden color with an off white head. Smells of resinous piney and citrus hops. Taste is of citrus with a nice background of caramel malts. Nice lingering bitterness. Medium body with a nice level of carbonation that makes the hops really pop. Overall a nice IPA that I would buy again.

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Poured from the can into a Sierra Nevada Anniversary Ale pint glass. Body is bright amber-orange with a small whitish head.

S: Nice - big resiny pine with plenty of citrus (grapefruit, maybe some pineapple too).

T: Hops dominate - mouth-puckering citrus/grapefruit bitterness. Slight bready malt underneath. Lingering dry, lemony bitterness in the aftertaste.

M: Active, fine carbonation creates a fairly creamy feel. Medium in heft.

O: Solid - maybe a bit too one-dimensional in the hop department, but if you want a bitter, hoppy IPA, this one fits the bill.

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%

Sixpoint has been doing some great stuff and I hope more of it becomes available in NJ. This one is a great IPA with excellent citrus and pine characteristics in the nose and on the tongue. The hops are balanced out by the caramel malts that lend a nice, sweet counterpoint to the hops and accentuating the grapefruit flavor this beer delivers. The quality is evident form the first pour as the head billows to a massive three inches and stands above the rim of the glass. Lacing is clumpy and copious, but I felt inclined to knock the appearance down a half point for haziness that remained even after warming up a bit. The aftertaste is full of resin, not my favorite quality in an IPA, but on that many people live for. Be careful, these cans are 16 ounces and the 6.4% ABV can catch up to you quickly if you're in the 12 ounce mindset.

Believe it or not I drank this with a slice of chocolate chip banana bread and the two of them worked nicely together to bring out subtle, sweet nuances in the other.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Pours with 2 fingers of mild cream, slightly straw colored head. The color is medium amber, with orange highlights. A pretty beer, very typical for an IPA.

S - A bit of orange smell. That's the issue, though. It's just a bit of smell. Pretty muted.

T - The taste is too bitter and the better tastes (fruitiness or piney) are too muted to be a great beer, in my eyes. This beer is good, it's just not anything extraordinary.

M - The carbonation is pretty solid, but there's an unpleasant bitterness in the finish that turns me off.

Overall, this is a decent beer. For the price, I'm disappointed.

3.71/5  rDev -5.8%

A: A nice golden orange color with a fingers width white head that leaves ample lacing

S: Herbal/flowery hops and a tad malty sweetness.

T: An interesting balance of sweet malts and hoppy bitterness. There is some grapefruit and a little tart apple in there, Hops dominate with a lingering herbal taste.

M: Medium/Light body with good carbonation

D: This is a very good beer although I have had plenty better IPAS this has been the been the best beer I have had from Sixpoint even though it is the only one I have had from Sixpoint...

Prost!!!

Appearance: A nice golden color with good white head, leaving good lacing

Smell: Citrusy, piney, resinous hops backed up by some nice malts

Taste: A good but not overpowering level of orange, grapefruit, pine, and resin hops. There is a good caramel malt backbone to balance out some of the hops. A decent bitterness to it.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, good carbonation

Overall: Pretty good IPA, one I would definitely buy again.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

16oz Can

Appearance - Slightly hazy amber/copper colour with a large size frothy off-white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some really good lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops, oranges, grapefruit

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts,caramel and a decent amount of hops. There are some very light citrus flavours as well - oranges and grapefruits. Along with the citrus I could pick up on a bit of a yeasty spiciness.. I couldn't quite put my finger on what it was, but it's not something I'm used to with American IPA's. It finishes with a malty sweet aftertaste with a decent amount of hop bitterness.

Overall - There is definitely something different about this beer that sets it apart from other IPA's. It seems to have a little bit of everything going on taste wise, which should make it appeal to many.

4.21/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. Normally I'd not review two serving types as similar as this can and the on tap serving I've already reviewed, but a few days ago there was a thread in which several folks claimed this was radically different than they had expected and I wanted to see for myself.

Appearance: As poured the beer has the lightly hazed orange tinged bronze color I remembered and expected. The 1/2" white head leaves leaving bits and circles of lacing sticking to the sides of the glass. The head persists reasonably well and sipping leaves some interesting patterns of lacing. Throughout the beer there is a thin layer of foam over the surface and sipping leaves speckles and a sheet of lacing on the side of the glass.

Smell: The aromas seem fainter than I remembered, but there is some faint grapefruit, pine, with the same earthy and floral hops that I remembered from the on tap serving. These are all blended in nicely with the touches of caramel from the hops.

Taste: Again, as predicted from the nose, the flavors are intitially grapefruit and pine blended in with caramel from the malt. What seemed to be earthy and floral notes in the nose seem to have taken on a definite citric character that is more like tangerine and orange mingled in with the other flavors. The role of the tangerine and orange does seem somewhat stronger than I remember from the on tap serving, but I don't see that as bad or a problem.

Mouthfeel: As with the on tap serving, the mouth feel from the can is medium bodied and has a nice crispness to it. The carbonation is again medium and persistent. The finish is all one could hope for in that it begins in the caramel sweetness which trails off fairly soon, leaving behind the dry crisp bitterness from the hops that invites one to take yet another sip. The tangerine and orange add a nice citric note to the finish.

Drinkability and Overall Impression: For me this beer scores high on drinkability, whether on tap or from the can. It is definitely on my list of beers to purchase periodically. My overall impression of this beer is that it is very fine example of an IPA, well made and quite enjoyable. Furthermore, despite what others may may have found, I've found the canned and on tap servings definitely enjoyable, and very much the same beer.

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange with two fingers of off-white head that recedes into a very thin ring with no lacing.

S: Some sweet bubblegum and candy sugar aromas at first. Lots of orange and pineapple aromas follow along with a touch of pine towards the end. Very nice and aromatic.

T: Slightly sweet at first with lots of orange and grapefruit flavors following. There is a dry, piny bitterness as well towards the finish. There's a slight musky/sweaty flavor on the aftertaste that's a bit detracting.

M: Medium-light body with mid-low carbonation, this beer is a bit low on the carbonation.

O: Overall, a good IPA with one of the best noses of any IPA I've had. The flavor doesn't quite live up to the aroma, but is overall one of the better IPAs out there.

3.9/5  rDev -1%

First of many reviews from a trade with jedwards, thanks man!

Pint can (awesomeness) to Samuel Smith oversized nonic.

A: Pours a hazy deep orange, good carbonation and a tight-bubbled off-white head.

S: Smell is floral hops, lemon, grassiness, and loads of pine. There is a nice delicate sweetness here as well.

T: Taste is still primarily pine but followed by grapefruit and some spices. Nice toasted malt character in this beer. Grassy notes, some citrus zest, and herbal characters round out the hop profile. Good bitterness.

MF: Mouthfeel is good, light to medium body with good carbonation and a nice dry finish.

O: A good IPA with more than just hints of West Coast attributes.

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

Drank this right out of the can around the fire pit last night, gave it a 'good' for appearance. I've had this a few times and have liked it more and more each time.
Smell is very piny and citrusy at the same time. There is also some kind of spice or something that they have in here, sdtrange but it works! Taste is more balaced than the smel suggested. Overall I like this brew. Sixpoint has given me a new IPA to chill and drink around the fire on a warm summer night. Thanks.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Bengali Tiger from Sixpoint Brewery