Bengali Tiger - Sixpoint Brewery

Bengali TigerBengali Tiger

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

The original Sixpoint homebrewed IPA formulation, first brewed in 1999 and released commercially in 2005. 64IBU

(Beer added by: Sixpoint on 04-22-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bengali Tiger Alström Bros
3.3/5  rDev -16%

On-Tap

Bengali tiger sports colors that show deep orange with some copper/gold in between things. The liquid looks clean with a 90% cap on the surface that fades to a ring around the glass Not much in terms of stickage. Smell is of some bitter and somewhat piney hops, but there is also a smell of rotted vegtables. The taste is very grassy with a nice small grapefruit bite from the hops, finishing with a yeasty bread flavor that is a bit much. Not enjoying the finish on this one. The feel is about medium with carbonation where it's supposed to be, the bitterness could be boosted up a notch to even out the rank aftertaste. Pretty much on par for a East Coast IPA but I won't be going back for it. Pretty drinkable but not that enjoyable.

BARFLYB, Jan 14, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -5.1%

Sixpoint Bengali Tiger...

Appearance-gold/brown color with a medium sized head heavy lacing appears as well.

Smell-hoppy with lots of pine and grapefruit, little bit of spice also

Taste/Mouthfeel-ok balance, flowery notes ok smoothness, flavorful with heavy hints of pine and even some honey.

Drinkability-well balanced, drinkable, not rash

Overall-well made well balanced IPA

TheDeuce, Jan 13, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

On-tap at the Blind Tiger in NYC.

Pours a clear copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a patchy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of light caramel malts with loads of citrus and pine hops. As the beer warms the hop profile skews more toward citrus aromas.

Tastes very similar to the way it smells. Light caramel malt flavors up front are quickly joined by pine and citrus hop flavors. A mild bitterness enters into things midway through the sip and intensifies through the end.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. I finished my glass quickly and could have a few more of these.

Overall a very nice version of an IPA that has enough hops to be confused with a West coast IPA but is balanced enough to let you know it's actually from the East. Worth a shot.

glid02, Jan 11, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -2%

Cloudy orange-light amber color. Good head that needs some settling before a second pour is made. Light lace.

Like many bar pours, this has a mild aroma with good balance (more to the hoppy side, naturally). I question the cleanliness of the glasses because there are some off smells I associate with poor washing techniques.

The taste starts off with a light toasted, biscuity flavored malt. The hop bitterness overwhelms this flavor quickly. Nice flowery elements. The body is as expected.

smcolw, Nov 21, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Clover honey color, hazy. Pored with little head
leaving a clean glass behind.
S: Very fresh and clean hops! Sort of fresh
cleaned laundry.
T: A good example of a sensible American IPA,
not over the top hop but enough residual acidity to
give an fizz on the side of the tongue. Finish
an easy bitter hoppy pucker.
MF: Neutral body.
D: not sure if I could session with this or not
but I'd like to try. I am afraid that the bitterish finish
might kill the deal.

beer4colin, Oct 21, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured a nice hazy amber/orange color, with a thin white head, that did lace fairly well. The aroma was a veritable bouquet of pink grapefruit, apricot, floral hops, breadiness, and maltiness. Needless to say, I was excited to take a sip. The taste validated the aroma...a near-perfect blend of citrus and floral hops that dissolved to a biscuity/slightly yeasty finish. Medium-bodied, lightly carbonated, and very sessionable. I think I downed three pints in an hour. Very well done.

donniecuffs, Oct 06, 2009
4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

A-Slightly hazy light orange/copper with a thin white head that hangs around nicely and leaves decent lace.

S-Wet hay dankness and sweet caramel initially with a nice blast of citrus and pine hop aromas as it warms.

T-Pine and citrus hops pop nicely with a nice underlying sweet caramel malt balance. A well balanced and well flavoured brew.

M-Medium bodied, fairly chewy, with good lingering bitterness.

D-A nice body of work that is tasty and easy to drink. A well balanced and flavourful sessionable American IPA. I could see making this a go to beer.

Deuane, Aug 30, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

6.7% abv

Pours a golden amber. The head dissipates quickly to lace. Lots of citrus on the nose. I thought it would be less balanced. On the palate there was enough citrus tang and it finished with lightly toasted malts on the backend. The beer had a nice spicy note to it as well.

DawnL, Jul 25, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

Got a growler from the Bowery Whole Foods.

A- Pours with an amazing big white fluffy head, like 2 inches. Eventually recedes to a thin cover, with a bunch of sticky lace on the sides. The body is a hazy dark apricot color.

S- Slight biscuit, with a twang og rubbing alcohol. Is it me, or are the hops hard to find here? Being from San Diego, maybe I am too accustomed to a hop-punch-in-the-nose.

T- This starts of with some almost creamy malt flavor, not too sweet though. This flavor holds throughout until a slight hops bitterness at the very end. Once again, not a whole lotta hops for me. Nonetheless, I still think it tastes good.

M- Holds up good throughout the swallow. Mild carbonation works well.

D- While not my favorite IPA, as I am more west coast leaning IPA lover, still a very enjoyable brew. I would drink again, like a session beer.

m1ked, Jun 26, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

This beer is the soundtrack of our lives. Mine and Marilyn's together with Rocco and Gia in tow. It's the miles of endless parking in our neighborhood, circling the blocks for that single sequestered spot. A bootleg rendition of Springsteen's glory days back in the late 70s before he got too big for the backstreets and let go of the hand of the average man. It's the bank telling us we are Clear to Close and thereby capable of shouldering our quantity of debt. It's a snuck cigarette on the fire escape and feeling my age. Quietly clenched fists of rage and a mouth to voice this subtle, insidious desperation. Rocco is having emotional problems; he is held hostage by his anxiety. It breaks my heart to see my boy in this his fifth year of pain. And not to have any answers for him, since when does it get any better? As men we are only anchored down by more of the same. Marilyn has turned to prescription pills if only to take off the edge. A mild dose of powders that puts her to sleep by 8:30 in the evening. That's one way I suppose, to let your life pass you by. But used to be the day wasn't merely something you fought to get through.

Because somewhere there is a picture of us, from back in the early days when it was just us two. Though there must have been at least one other there who had the camera. It's a shot of me and Marilyn before she became my wife. When we walked out on a piece of property my father bought at the edge of the National Park, and the road then was only a dirt trail up through the pines. It's late November in the picture, and we are in jackets and hats. At some point Marilyn has turned back and pressed herself into my chest. I am looking down saying something to her, and she is almost smiling into the lens. My girl always knows where the camera is. And that's when the photo was taken. The evergreens all around us and a low cloud cover that later in the day would turn to snow. A cold smell of the end of Fall, clean and gray. Calm. And that's how I best prefer to remember us. It's my favorite picture of us I hold in my head, and I'm not even sure where the actual physical, document has gotten to. Maybe we'll find it in the move.

I raise this glass to the past six years of our marriage. In a matter of days we will embark on the next phase of our lives, as we evolve from a thus far as renters and become first time homeowners. Here's to the people we are soon to be and the ups and downs of a long life lived together. Friends may come and go and the kids grow old and find roads of their own. But, me and my baby stand steadfast--forever frozen in that moment of flash.

EarlNobdy, Jun 20, 2009
4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

Drank a $6 pint on-cask at the East Village Tavern in NYC. Mmm, very nice beer. The hops come straight at you with juicy orange, tangerine and grapefruit. Biting pine and citrus rind kick in shortly after along with a little blend of dry biscuit and whole wheat bread. The aroma matches with a big (for cask ale) pineapple citrus aroma. Delicious.

tempest, Jun 01, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Goodnight Irenes.
Appears a hazy light orange with a creamy white head that sticks around. Perfect tubular lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of sweet caramel and nuts with a huge helping of hops containing resins of citrus and pine.
Flavors are fresh and juicy of hop resins flowing atop the sugary bounty of malts
Mouthfeel is med bodied, chewy, and too easy drinking.
Shane- you knocked it out of the park with this one! I could drink a sixtel myself.

weeare138, May 30, 2009
3.93/5  rDev 0%

Unlike the Dogfish Aprihop I had right before this, the Bengali is a well balanced fruity IPA.

I had at Mother's in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. It poured an orangeish , fairly opaque, with a solid foamy head. No real scent came through...somewhat strange for how flavorful it tasted.

Balanced IPA. Not too bitter. The fruityness really comes through in the aftertaste.

Amalak, May 22, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

What can I say? I love IPAs, and although this wasn't a top-top IPA for me, I would happily drink it any day of the week.

I had it on tap at the Royal Tavern in Philadelphia along with a delicious burger. It was served hazy amber, with a small head and minimal lacing, so not top marks on appearance, and the smell was also kind of disappointing--some citrus esters but very weak.

In my mouth, though, this was one heckuva drinkable beer. Starts with grapefruit hops, moves into bitter earthy hops, finishes with sweet caramel malt (lip-licking sweetness), prickly but creamy all the way through. Not a hop monster, but pretty well balanced, with a stronger malt backbone than many of the American IPAs I've had.

Would definitely seek out and drink again.

lstokes, May 22, 2009
4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

Found on tap at Teresa's Cafe in Princeton, NJ this beauty poured a hazy bright amber color with a medium fluffy off-white head and very full lacing. The aroma was bready malt and pleasant citrus hop, very grain heavy but nicely blended with the citrus. The taste comes out with plenty of orange citrus intrigue but again has a whole grain base that carries this in a very solid bodied brew. Smooth and slightly creamy, very evenly carbonated and quite drinkable. A very solid, well blended IPA which I would have to put among one of the better IPA surprises to come along of late! I need to check out more from Sixpoint.

Durge, Apr 21, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

I am so glad these guys have finally come to Philadelphia. They do consistently excellent work. This is not my favorite of their lineup, but excellent.

Pours dusky copper with slight head. Strong citrusy aroma, grapefruity and heavy. Thick malty and grapefuity flavor, with hints of pine. The mouthfeel is viscous, clingy. Excellent and fragrant but not subtle.

Seanibus, Apr 21, 2009

On tap at Capone's.

Poured a medium and cloudy orangish color with smaller sized off white head. Aromas of floral hops, earthiness, and some citrus. Tastes of pine, floral hops, and citrus. Citrus rinds. Medium bitter finish.

Notes from and tasted on: 4/9/09

hopdog, Apr 09, 2009

A: Hazy orange-amber bodt. Thick offwhite head. Nice Lacing.

S: Grapefruit and Floral hop character. Caramel malt comes through.

T: Hearty malt body is well accented by blasts of grapefruit and floral hop bitterness. Well balanced considering the clear grapefruit presence.

M: Smooth medium bodied brew. Thin at spots. But a nice crisp finish does not disappoint.

D: Not exactly my style of IPA (not hoppy enough for my tongue) but this is a solid brew.

callmemickey, Mar 31, 2009

Poured on tap at the Roadhouse in Brookline, MA. A nice, well-rounded IPA. Quite citrusy, but not overwhelming. Color is a light ambery orange with a smooth tannish head. The body was just right - not too heavy or syrupy. Bubbles were a little on the big side.

hsway, Mar 04, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

This beer was served a hazy, HAZY copper color, roughly one finger pillowy off white head. Relatively nice head retention with wispy lacing throughout the beer. Fruity nose, slight caramel, and of course hops. Taste was SOOO SOOO smooth! Sweet caramel, slight yeast, a little bready, bitter hints, but very smooth the whole way through. Mouthfeel was full and creamy but yet, not heavy. This completely hit the spot this evening - great beer!

Jayli, Feb 12, 2009
3.93/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Went for a hike today. Autumn day in the mountains. Looking out from a steep hill, I could see the different shades of amber in the trees, reminiscent of the lightly cloudy amber that is the tiger's hide of Sixpoint Bengal. A finger of head settles atop, and drops to a mild whirlwind atop the liquid.
Someone pushed me from behind, and I fell end over end down the hill. The branches of evergreens were breaking around me, and the sap aroma filled the air as much as my shirt. The grapefruit in my pocket turned to a pulp, and made it look as though I had pissed myself. That aroma mixed with the sap covering me, and I had to pick the earth and pine needles from my teeth.
The carbonation is medium, and the finish is bitter and lightly dry. It's filling but otherwise quite drinkable for 6/50. I'd have another, and considering that there are two of us on this growler, I think we just might.
I didn't break any bones, amazingly. Just a few cuts on my hands. It was a wild ride, and that aroma is stuck in my mind...

khiasmus, Feb 06, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

I've shied away from this beer in the past. "Just another ipa, every brewery has one", "there's 18 other taps in this joint I haven't tried", "the assistant brewer is like 15", etc. etc. :P

So... growler fill from Whole Foods. Poured into my Ommegang Anniversary glass since I don't have enough Sixpoint bumper stickers to make my own chalice.

Cloudy, muddled, orange/brown body. Big gurgle on the pour thanks to my unsteady hand; krausen-like head.

From the nose, I'm anticipating something juicy. Intense enough to be confused for a DIPA in most instances. Grapefruit juice, tangerines, the oils from the skins of both of those, along with a noticeable spiciness partially imparted by the yeast, but also by something floral that I can't really pinpoint. Dry malt in the background is a faint distraction.

More rindy then juicy like I anticipated. An absorbent bready beginning, white meat watermelon sweetness upfront, followed by an astringent, puckering bitterness, dusty wheat(is there wheat in here?), salt, & what seems like muted cayenne of all things.

Carbonation is mid range, but sizzles enough to cut the body some. Wheaty at times, & thicker then average.

Couldn't quite finish the growler in one shot. Still had a jug of rye to attack. Probably couldn't/wouldn't anyway.

PEBKAC, Feb 05, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -27.5%

I seem to be in the minority in finding that this beer is too overwhelmingly hoppy for my taste. I will try to be objective nonetheless.

Pours a very hazy orange-copper color. Half inch head dissapates quickly and has virtually no lacing.

Scent is slightly on the hoppy side but provides no warning of what the taste holds in store.

Upon tasting, the taste of hops is overpowering and overwhelming. I found it difficult to discern other flavors above this.

If you enjoy a hoppy beer, this is the one for you I guess.

Nascartailgatefa, Feb 04, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A wonderful beer. Served in a pint glass, it was a hazy darkish orange color with a thick white head and a lot of lacing. While there was a little bit of caramel malt in the aroma, there was more of a floral and citrus note. The malt came through more in the taste, and balanced the pine and grapefruit quite nicely. I could drink a lot of these.

lordofthewiens, Feb 01, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: slightly hazy orange color with a 2" head that lasts a while Nice lacing develops.

Smell: caramel sweetness, floral hops, and grapefruits are easily detectable.

Taste: follows the nose as the caramel and green grape sweetness is nicely balanced with some graperuit and a decent but not overpowering hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: crisp throughout. Medium bodied. Aftertaste is soft and lasts a bit.

Drinkability: superb flavored beer that goes down easy. If you are looking for an IPA that doesn't overload your tastebuds, this is the beer for you. Great session ale.

Gavage, Jan 23, 2009