Bengali Tiger - Sixpoint Brewery

Bengali TigerBengali Tiger

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

The original Sixpoint homebrewed IPA formulation, first brewed in 1999 and released commercially in 2005. 64IBU

(Beer added by: Sixpoint on 04-22-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bengali Tiger Alström Bros

White fluffy head that doesn't look like its going anywhere. Tiny minuscule bubbles towards the bottom pick up pace about halfway and shoot toward the top to keep the head from dissipating. Gold at the bottom turning into a light orange and yellowish color midway up.

Pine and citrus hops right away, that seems to be the main attraction here.

The aroma is about the same as the taste, pine and citrus; the only difference there is a bready malt to balance out the hops. I really enjoy the bitterness, it keeps things interesting in this brew. No complaints here for the taste at all.

Light to medium body. Feels nice with noticeable carbonation. Doesn't leave my mouth feeling too dry, even though it has a bitterness to it. Very easy going down, it was quite intriguing reviewing it because I looked down and the glass was almost empty.

I was thinking, well, I just spent $8.25 for a four pack (Not as bad as what I spent for a four pack of 12 ounce cans of GUBNA Imperial IPA by Oskar Blues) I opened up the box I was quite glad there are four pint size cans instead of four twelve ounce cans; that adds up to a whole 'nother pint! This beer is quite good, I was thinking I should get this again and I totally got over the price I paid for it. If this came in a six pack, this very well could be a every day beer; sadly it does not but it definitely is worth picking up at least once.

3.98/5  rDev +1%

16 oz can with best by date of september 29, 2011.

all 16 ounces does not quite fit into my Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" Glass. seems the glass isn't quite the perfect pint glass if it can't fit a pint into it, however, thats another discussion.

It pours a slightly amber copper with a large, big-bubbled almost white head that lasts and laces very well.

As soon as the seal on the can is broken I can smell the juicy hops mixed with bitter citrus and a touch of pine. some crackery malts come through after its poured into the glass, but still stay in the background.

a bit peppery, to my surprise, with the bitter yet juicy citrus leading the way and a considerable malt presence bring a bit of sweetness and graininess. not as hop-forward as the aroma, but still plenty of hop flavors.

a touch light-bodied with very little resin left on the palate. a clean dry finish with just a bit of an aftertaste thats a mix of fresh cracked pepper and whole grain crackers.

overall, its good, though it won't supplant my favorites of the style. I'd be happy to drink this anytime, but there are others I would choose first.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

This was just released in the area. excited to try it. best of Sept 29th on the bottom of can.

A:pours almost a redish brown. nice 2 finger head.
S:smells of citrus, herbal, slight malts in the background.
T:wow , there is a spice that hits right away, followed by a smooth malt thats blends and finishes with an orange citrus. bitterness cleanses the mouth. hops are id say moderate. spice/citrus shine here.
M: Beautiful mouthfeel on this as the malts (though hidden underneath) smooth and round out the more agressive spice and citrus.

Bottom line. I'm loving this. at 6.5 ABV its quite drinkable. i had no idea what to expect when getting this. liked the idea of a 16oz IPA in a can and can honestly say this may be one of my go tos. Im lucky to be in the distrubution area of the newly canned sixpoints. If you you can get Sixpoint, try it. its not Ruination, Pliny, Hopsickle or your your other big hopped west coasts. Im tempted to say its akin to Victorys hopdevil due to the herbal spices that lend to the hops but its on another level from Hopdevil.
Great stuff.

4.45/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is dark but hazy orange leaning a bit towards amber. Two fingers of off-white head after an aggressive pour from the tallboy can into a 20 oz.goblet.not much lace on the glass, with a medium amount of carbonation visible

S: Holy hops! as soon as the can was cracked you get hit with the smell of hops! Also some slight citrus and piney resin come through once it's poured.

T: Smells like it tastes...hops, pine resin and citrus, all well balanced with a bit of malt.

M: It has a medium mouthfeel.The carbonation is at the high end of medium. Somwhat of a dry finnish.

O: tasty and easyto drink...gonna head to the 'fridge for another! Cheers!!!!

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%

Firstly, It is surprising to see such a good beer come out of a can. I live in NYC and i concider myself into the local craft brewerys, but this is the first time ive tried sixpoint.

A: Hazy, short and stout creamy head.

S: Very floral and citrusy, with a smack of hops just as soon as you open the can.

T: Very complex. Hop flavor is upfront and bold, but subtle flavors of grapefruit and apricot hit all of a sudden, but then you get a mouthful of sweet mango... malt is playing second fiddle here, but is a balance.

M: Not for gulping, but for savoring.

O: Like. FACT

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

A - Poured into Sierra Nevada bulb glass. Nice dark orange color with nice lacing and head.

S - Smells soo citrusy. Smells hoppy. Smells like a good IPA to me.

T - Great malt backbone with just enough hops in the foreground. It's a hoppy IPA but not too bitter at all. Malt flavors are definitely more prominent than the hops. Very drinkable beer.

M - On the lower end of carbonation but it has a good mouth feel. Not a thin IPA by any means.

O - This a good IPA that drinks easily. It has great hop presence but it isn't too overly bitter. Good malty IPA. I would definitely drink more of Bengali Tiger.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

First had: on tap at Blind Tiger, NYC, NY

Poured a hazy golden orange with a small, dense, white head that laced well. Fragrant esters in the nose, citrus zest and mild piney hops. Orange and grapefruit in the taste, sweet malts, and white wine; a bit grassy. Crisp and pleasantly bitter finish. Medium mouthfeel, good and drinkable.

4.43/5  rDev +12.4%

A- Slightly hazy golden-amber body with a big frothy white head. The cap retains quite well and has a nice creamy looking texture. A few nice spots of lace.

S- A good blend of hops, nice tropical fruit citrus notes along with slight pine and floral, very nice. Some bread and caramel.

T- Good citrus fruit and zesty hops with good floral, earth, tropical fruit and pine notes. Good caramel malt and bread notes from the yeast.

MF- Creamy light-end body with moderate carbonation. Bitterness is big but still smooth.

Pretty awesome beer if I must say so myself. Not much to say about IPAs but this obviously brings a nice hop profile to the table.

I CAN only hang my head in shame - I have been bested at mine own game. First, I planned to allude to "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" by The Tokens until I realized that it was the wrong animal! Then, I fell back to Wm. Blake's "The Tiger" until I pulled up the text of the poem and remembered the lines which were semi-quoted on the CAN! Bugger all, m'lord! Thank goodness it did not take place on a Friday when my poetry association would be meeting. What's that, Jeeves? TODAY IS Friday !?! Oh, the shame, the horror of it all. Lord Steve Carr would be so disappointed in his charge ...

From the CAN: "What immortal hand or eye. Could frame thy fearful symmetry? [Wm. Blake] Strides forward with a malty cadence, then leaps with a wave of bitterness. Slashed with a giant paw of citrus, pine, and resin! Note the lacing of stripes around your glass it is the mark of the Tiger."

Oh ho, El Tigre is in the glass! He is a tawny beauty, following the Crack & Glug and he understands that while he is powerful, Woody is the Master of the CANQuest (TM) and he may not unleash the full fury of which he is capable without the possibility of a drainpour. The mere mention of which makes him pull the two tawny fingers of his tail back upon himself, leaving heavy tracks in its wake. His body is long and sleek, a deep orangish-amber with the slightest of haze, as though to add to the distraction. What distraction, you ask? His musk! He smells like a pine forest, where he likes to hide and roll around so that he takes on a resinous quality. "The better to fool you with," he snarls, baring his bitter teeth and their attendant breath. This tiger has no culture and it will be left to me to tame him. Aaaagggh! From the instant that he is in my mouth, he is clawing and thrashing around, his intense bitterness taking no prisoners, initially, until the natural malty pheromones and adrenalin kick in and Woody again has the upper hand. Finish is strangely soothing, tea like in its lack of intensity following the initial attack. Sadly, it is of no matter, as the two of us will be locked in immortal combat with no quarter asked and none given. We will be in this cage until the end of beer, each trying to best the other with no outcome in sight. Or maybe I'll opt for Door # 2, the one with the Lady, vice the Tiger ...

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can split and poured into my hop devil nonic pint.

Appearance: Beautiful golden transparent color with a nice creamy head.

Smell: Nice and citrusy but slightly metallic. Not the best smell for an IPA, not pungent enough.

Taste: Great! Nice and citrusy. This is a really delicious and well balanced beer! Not too bitter but nicely hopped. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: To style, nice and carbonated but not overly so. Medium mouthfeel.

Overall: A great IPA, met my expectations. It will be in my fridge more often. Highly recommended.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

I saw a 4 pack of the new Sixpoint tallboy cans in my local store and decided to pick up a package. 16 oz can poured into a nonic.

Look: hazy orange body with a thin, one finger head, and not really a whole lot in terms of lacing. Looks good.

Smell: grapefruit, flowery hops, and a bit of resin come out with a good deal of balancing caramel sweetness.

Taste: follows the nose with a lot of caramel and maltiness, balanced by a good deal of grassy, grapefruity, and slightly resinous hoppiness. The aftertaste leaves my mouth feeling hoppy.

Feel: medium towards full, a bit big in terms of body for an IPA, not detectable alcohol, tends towards sweet rather than bitter for an IPA, and easy drinking. Carbonation is a little lighter than I would like, but that's hardly the end of the world.

Overall: pretty good beer. Its not quite a West Coast hop bomb but its still quite delicious. Its a good IPA... not the best but one of the better local IPAs I've had. Cheers!

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a tallboy a beautiful lightly hazy golden ruby color with several fingers of puffy white head that descends very slowly leaving great lace.

The nose is plenty of pine and citrus.

This is delicious. Great balanced malt backbone, not too sweet caramel, not too grainy. Citric at first, then a great lightly lingering pine bitterness.

I had this a long while ago on draft and loved it - knowing it's available easily in a can is exciting. Great go-to IPA.

4.53/5  rDev +15%

16 oz. can poured into a half pint tasting glass

Appearance : a slightly orange haze color . Not much of a head ont his one even with an aggressive pour it disappeared quickly.

Smell : this beer smells wonderful. Very pungent hop forward aromas. Lots of pine resin and grapefruit citrus aromas. I am very impressed with the smell of this one.

Taste : lots of maltiness and very well balanced with terrific hoppy goodness. The hoppy bitterness really lingers on my palette for a long time.

Mouthfeel : medium body with light carbonation

Overall : this is a beer I would like to have again and again. This is why I drink craft beer so I can experience great beer like this one. This beer is very well done the only thing it lacks is some lacing and head retention . But that is easy to get over because this beer has great aroma and taste.

3.45/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16oz can into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep golden brown color with a thin off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick but spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains earthy hops, caramelized malts and some citrus.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of caramel and citrus that are quickly followed by a strong grassy hops bitterness. The malt character is hearty and brings a good balance. The after-taste is slightly bitter.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, it’s a solid beer but not one of the better IPA’s that I’ve had.

3.35/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

6/14/2011

Hello, Ma'am. I couldn't help but notice you admiring my pint sized can of Bengali Tiger from Sixpoint Brewery. You weren't, you say? Ah, well my mistake. You certainly wouldn't be the first person eyeing me with derision or restrained admiration. Craft beer is a complex and polarizing subject. Why am I drinking my beer in the park? It's a lovely day out, why shouldn't I be enjoying this can of craft beer on this park bench. Of course I have a job, what are you implying? No I'm not homeless. Have you heard of BeerAdvocate.com? Well, if you were familiar with the website you would know that I'm trying to advocate craft beer right now. I disavow the appellation! It's the people drinking that BMC macro swill that are alcoholics. I'm merely a connoisseur drinking a craft beverage on this park bench at 11 am on a Monday morning! No, it's not my first, but that means nothing. I enjoyed a bottle of Oatmeal Stout this morning, which is perfectly acceptable when you're a craft beer enthusiast. Anyway, I feel as though we're off to a bad start. Do you come here often?

Can thanks to bring. My first beer from this brewery, and I'm told it's fresh. There's nothing finer than a fresh American India Pale Ale poured into a snifter.

A: Transparent gold with a creamy off white cap that fades quickly and doesn't leave any retention. Nice color.

S: Pine resin with aromatic orange pith notes and accompanying flesh. There's a little tangerine in there as well as grapefruit. This smells pretty nice. I'm not picking up much malt influence in the aroma, maybe a little caramel. I get a touch of tropical fruit, as well as grass and earth.

T: Moderately bitter with a little midpalate grainy sweetness. There's a lot of hop flavor, reminiscent of orange, tangerine, and mango, with light pine notes. The beer finishes dry with an increased level of bitterness and a trailing alcohol note.

M: Upper light to lower medium in body with upper low carbonation. This could definitely use more carbonation. The mouthfeel is dry and sticky, but it's a bit thin and somewhat watery. The second half of the pint seemed heavy and a bit onerous due to the low carbonation.

Overall: A pretty nice IPA. It really needs more carbonation, but it was still enjoyable. The first eight ounces were much better than the last eight ounces.

Golden amber in color, with a decent off-white head and good retention. Seems a little hazy though, and not in a good way, which surprised me a bit. Some lacing around the glass, but not very defined. The nose is pretty hop forward, with strong pine and lesser floral notes present. Some bready hints also manage to seem through. The beer itself has a good bitterness to it, but a solid malt backbone keeps it in check; though it still feels like the hops are more in control here. Crisp body and fine carbonation. Well-balanced.

I was certainly very happy with this IPA, but I don't know if I'll be rushing back to get it soon. It was nice not drinking a hop bomb for once (though I love those too), but I was hoping for something with a little more pop. Just because an IPA is balanced doesn't mean it has to be tame =) Still an overall good beer.

3.53/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to woodychandler for yet another canned beer for me to try. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a cloudy caramel color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of hops, some citrus. Taste is very hoppy, some citrus notes, a good bit of bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid offering.

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

Drank on 6/12/11..served at Fridge temp.

A- Solid orangey, rust look with a really great head retention and an awesome lacing on the glass.

S- Citrus, with some floral notes...tropical frutiness with strong pinapple and orange with maybe some mango in there. Theres also a sweet, sugaryness to it.

T- Upfront its got that grainy, blan pale malt feel to it and then its just pure hops. A really nice resiny hop proflie with a burst of orange, orange zest, grapfruit and a little bit of pine. Theres a bit of sweetness too.

M- Very smooth with a perfect carbonation. Its a really bitter beer thats a little dry but has a very clean finish.

O- For only 62 IBU's Bengali Tiger is a very bitter beer with a great hop malt balance. The biterness is awesome for an IPA, personally I think it stands up to some of the higher rated IPAs (in terms of bitterness) Definetely worth a try for anyone.

3.6/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a pretty decent IPA. The pour was golden in color with a pretty nice looking white head. The lacing wasn't too strong here. The smell of the beer has a citrusy hop aroma. The taste of the beer was a little on the light side. It's hoppy but a little on the faint side. The mouthfeel was almost medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Overall it's a not a bad IPA, worth trying if iterested.

3.85/5  rDev -2.3%

Served in a tall boy can.
A) Poured with a thin head. Quickly settles to nearly nothing. Thin semi sticky lacing on the drink down. Clear body bronze in color.
S) Citrus. Pine.
T) well balanced malt and hops. Pleasant citrus tones with mellow caramel malt sweetness. The hops ring through from the beginning. Piney. Grapefruit.
M) Medium body. Fizzy yet fairly smooth.
O) A well crafted brew. I'd definitely drink another.

16oz can served in a standard pint glass.

pours a clear amber/copper shade while yielding a foamy 3/4" head. good retention and lacing, slowly fades into a lasting cap, collar around the glass. fine looking IPA, but then so are about 900 others.

mmm, nose is good. not overly aromatic but potent enough, offering notes of citrus (grapefruit, maybe some tangerine), pine, and a touch of malt.

flavor follows with more of the same though a bit more bitterness than i was expecting, which persists through the hoppy finish. tasty and refreshing.

on the lighter side of medium-bodied with average carbonation.

overall, a very good yet not truly great beer. a bit more bitter than i typically look for in my IPAs, but no question i will be buying bengali tiger again. feeling good about going 4's across the board on this one.

4.28/5  rDev +8.6%

In a CAN! Yes!

Sixpoint Bengali Tiger IPA is finally available in a form that I can put in my fridge without using a growler. And I can get it outside of tap lines, and I can.... send it to people who will enjoy it... and I can stare at the label artwork while I drink. And just in time for the summer. This is awesome.

As for the beer itself, it's orange copper color, pours sweetly into the glass, sits there bubbly and all sexy looking until you sip through its white fluffy finger length head. As it moves down, the lacing sustains around the glass - tiger slashes - and keeps you wanting more. At around 6% alcohol, this india pale ale is a drinkable beer that you can buy to enjoy in small or large doses.

The smell has a citrus hop character with grapefruit and orange peel, followed by caramel and bready malts that come through in the middle of the taste profile. The smell and taste are the same, and the build is pretty standard for an IPA all around. The best part is that there's no presence of the alcohol and the drink follows the nose with a super clean finish. Perhaps nothing exceptional about this brew except how it hits the spot in almost every situation. It's hyperlocal, available in cans, and made by genuinely good people. And it's 10 bucks for a 4 pack, so it's reasonably priced, too.

And that's enough for me. It's done. Sixpoint Bengali Tiger is an A-rated local IPA that will now be in my fridge year round.

3.8/5  rDev -3.6%

tall boy can poured into a pint glass.

A - a nice orange/red body that has some carbonation in there even though from a little distance it looks sort of flat. nice fluffy one finger white top recedes to a ring with minimum lacing.

S - apricot and grassy earthy notes in there as well.

T - creamy cracker malts hit up front. overpowered by a nice hop blast thats resiny (some apricot in there and maybe a hint of citrus). an excellent IPA.

M - less carbonation than i expected it almost feels flat in a way but maybe thats just to complement the creamed taste it has. starts a bit on the wet side and finishes extremely dry.

O - a well constructed IPA that lays down some solid foundations in many areas. they definitely are trying a new twist or two and i think it comes off pretty well all in all.

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Tap at Horseshoe Pub

Light creamy head fades slowly bit of lacing, over clear golden orange light reddish color.

Nose plenty of fresh hops, citrus, orange rind, light pine, little fresh resinous hop, light sweet malts under.

Taste is semi sweet, plenty of fresh hops, light pine, tons of citrus andv orange rind, light resins again, fairly bitter, light sweet malty backbone, finishes me bitter, little sticky, lingering hops citrus, little mint, chewy and fruity hops.

Mouth is med bodied, dec carb but slightly under carbonated (not a fault of the beer).

Overall good, nice hops, nice malt balance but leaves the hops to take the show, doesn't get overly bitter.

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a beautiful hazy orange with a really nice fluffy white head. This is a very pretty beer.

The smell is full of lush orange, grapefruit, and pine. This is a very aromatic beer.

The taste follows the nose exactly. Lush grapefruit and tangerine are followed by pine and a bit of grass. This is a vey tasty brew, too.

The feel is good, yet slightly light. This is the only place I could really knock this beer.

Overall, this is a very tasty brew that I would love to have again. Thanks to afksports for this as an extra!

Bengali Tiger from Sixpoint Brewery