Bengali Tiger - Sixpoint Brewery

Bengali TigerBengali Tiger

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 04-22-2005

The original Sixpoint homebrewed IPA formulation, first brewed in 1999 and released commercially in 2005.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bengali Tiger Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,250 | Reviews: 590
4.45/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Serving type can poured into a pint glass.

Not sure I can sumerize the color etc. as eloquently as others, but I've had about 40 different new to me IPAs this year, and when I think of this beer, I think it defines the style. Lovely aroma, great mouthfeel and an IPA will keep stocked in my fridge for a long time. Love the 16oz cans, finally a craft beer tall boy!

4.41/5  rDev +11.9%

Impressed with this IPA.

Appearance: Golden orange

Smell: Malt sweetness accompanied with piney hops

Taste: Notable balance from malt and hops. No heat at 6.4% abv

Mouthfeel: Creamy and smooth

Overall: Nice work Sixpoint. Really dig this IPA Bold hops balanced by nice sweet malt.

4.14/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

The appearance is a dark orange and leaves a nice lacing on the glass. The nose is a yeasty malty hoppy with coriander aroma. The tongue is a hoppy yet malty and somewhat bitter taste. However I like this offering. The mouthfeel is moderate. It has a creamy Overall this is good and will have again.

4.33/5  rDev +9.9%

A – Oh yes, the moment I popped the can open I knew that this was going to be a rock n’ roll IPA. The appearance confirms what I had suspected. A sunset, orange, amber body with just a big lumpy, tightly knit, sticky off-white head that clings lovingly to the glass leaving streaks of lacing. The head just indicates it’s going to be a real good IPA, hoppy and sticky and wonderful.

S – The smell is a combination of fruit and hops with grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, and a slight pine as well. There is a muted malt going on in this nose as well. It smells wonderful, and I cannot wait to taste.

T – Wow, just a level of hoppiness going on in here that the head did not betray at all. I’m just getting my tastebuds danced all over. And yet this is not a really intense IPA, but it is intensely good and well crafted. As far as flavor goes, there is a very big juicy, citric fruit element going on in here with grapefruit, tangerine and apricot, especially at the beginning, with very noticeable peach going on here too. Then towards the end the more piney and resinous flavors come into play towards the end. This is delightful, I would legitimately drink this for juice. It is so fresh and crisp and fruity and wonderful. Great IPA.

M – The mouthfeel is actually a little bit off in my opinion for an IPA, it is medium with good carbonation but I would have preferred if it was a little bit more sticky/robust. It’s still good though.

O – Great IPA. Not a hop bomb, but so fruity and clean and crisp and it really just tastes outstanding. I am definitely going to be getting this again. May even put it into the more outer reaches of my regular rotation.

4.16/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Sixpoint's Bengali Tiger has seriously impressed me. After trying Sehr Crisp (The Crisp) a few days ago and being slightly underwhelmed, after having the first sip of Bengali Tiger I can firmly say that I have faith in Sixpoint. As a sidenote, I can't wait to try their Diesel Stout.

Appearance: 4.5
Has a rich, dark amber color. Slightly cloudy with bubbles steadily moving towards the top. Developed a lovely white two-finger head after pouring from the can into an Imperial Pint glass. The head probably stayed for a good three minutes before dissolving. This is a beautiful beer.

Smell: 3.5
There's a strong floral scent, as well as a whiff of lemon or citrus. Overall it's not incredibly strong, but at the same time it's pleasing and gives you a bit of what to expect.

Taste: 4.5
This is an excellent American IPA. The flavor is hard to pinpoint at first. It hits the tongue with a tangy and slightly sweet flavor, which then dissolves into a flowery/hoppy taste with a hint of pine and citrus again. The aftertaste is almost refreshing, tasting a bit like tree sap (don't let this put you off though, it's only tastes faintly of it and it's done really, REALLY well). Honestly, I have a hard time putting this beer down after I sip it, it really tastes that good.

Mouthfeel: 4.5
Hits the tongue with a burst of flavor and carbonation, yet it manages to maintain this feeling the entire time you're tasting it. It doesn't feel like water or molasses when it's on your tongue; instead it feels like what a beer should feel like. Few beers I have had manage this good of a mouthfeel.

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%

Orange amber cloudy pour from can with huge retention and alot of lacing.

Aroma full of pine mixed with sweetness. Very bready with limited citrus. Not as floral. Beer is well balanced between maltiness and hops.

Taste Is bitter, hop profile, grapefruit shines through but 1 dimensional and was expecting more based on the aroma.

Medium body finish. Effervescent. Bitterness linger on the tongue for a while.

It's a good example but expected more flavor based on my experience with the Resin. Alot of other examples of this beer style to choose from that are better. Probably not my style of American IPA.

4.48/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

16 oz can poured into a pint glass. A rich orange, the color of a Bengal tiger of course! Smells like an early morning hike through a Rocky Mountain pine forest - herbal piney resin and very fresh and crisp. This is a hoppy mother with white pepper spiciness yet balanced by just right maltiness. Resiny full mouth feel and a moderately dry finish. Excellent!

18oz can
Poured into a SanTan pint glass
Best before Aug 18

Appears hazy, bright orange with white head that dissipates quickly, no lacing. Smells like pine resin, dank and floral hops. Taste is just like the smell, but with a powerful bitterness and a touch of bready malt. Citrusy tropical fruit comes forward as it warms. Light bodied with medium carbonation, drinks smoothly and has a crisp finish with lingering bitterness. Great portrayal of an east coast IPA.

3.44/5  rDev -12.7%

I picked this up as a 4 pack of 16oz pounders. I'm a sucker for any kind of canned craft beer.

A- Poured into a large beer mug, I got a short lasting, 2 finger, off-white head which topped a crystal clear orange amber body. Very little lacing to speak of.

S- Sweet and fruity with big citric notes. Slight phenols poking through. Plenty of hops to come…

T- Pretty big taste which is clearly about the hops in this one. Slippery hop oils coat the mouth generously. I’m usually a big fan of any largely hopped IPA, but the flavor from these hops seems to be a pit peculiar. Maybe it’s the varietal; maybe it’s just me…

M- Fairly one sided, sharp hop bitterness which sticks around fairly long. In my humble opinion, the malts could stand to be a bit more pronounced in order to help even it out a bit.

Over all it's a good beer, but I’m not sure I’d actively seek it out for any other reason than craving a 16oz canned IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

Ive had this a million times before considering I live in Brooklyn (on draft as many as in a can), just never took the time to write a formal review

A - Poured from a 16oz can into a normal pint glass. Its a cloudy sort of copper orange. Very good head of around 2 fingers, almost pure white. Good retention and leaves a good amount of lacing.

S - Piney citrus hops. Very pleasing. Sort of the normal single IPA smell. Its got a nose but the taste is what makes the IPA a truly great beer.

T - Full of citrus and pine sort of hops. I mean full of them. Overtones of grapefruit and orange predominately. Good bitter backbone. Taste very very fresh. Considering it probably only traveled 5 miles to the store I bought it at.

M - Its sort of sticky for lack of a better word. Sticky with being somewhat dry if thats possible.

O - Solid IPA. Well done Sixpoint thats why all us Brooklyn and NYC people love you. Keep it up. The fact these come in cans is just a testament to the fact you cant judge a beer by its container.

3.65/5  rDev -7.4%

Dull, slightly-hazy dark copper. Excellent head that lasts, dropping dense lace. Aroma is bitter orange, floral grass/hay, a little pine sap, and clean malt.

Flavor is good, but a little thin. Citric C-hops, a little tropical tang, and faint grainy malt. Superbly-balanced, crisp, and refreshing. Just enough of a bitter kick on the end to let you know it's an IPA. Slight alcohol in back as well.

Moderate carbonation; body towards the lighter side. I like the lower, more balanced bitterness here, but I wish there was more fresh hop flavor. It drinks more like an English IPA -- hops are in front, but malt and alcohol are barely behind. The beer is ridiculously refreshing and I like it a lot. I could drink 3 or 4 pints of these like water. Unfortunately that's not a trait I look for in an IPA.

I had this out of can poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours a lightly hazed amber copper color with a 2 finger white frothy head. Some nice sticky lacing left around the glass, looks like Bengal stripes (no pun intended).

S - Hoppy, as expected with an IPA, citrus fruits with earthy undertones. Some sweet malty nose going on in there as well. Crisp smell, as if the scent of the beer carries a sharpness to it, I like it!

T - Hop flavor right off the bat. This has a wonderful citrus floral hop profile with a mild bitterness flavor at the end. Crisp clean taste that is subtle yet packed with the right amount of balance.

M - Rather on the light side with mild carbonation. Flavor stays with your toungue for a while - not a bad thing.

O - This is a nice beer for any weather and any event. I like this a lot and will definatly be picking more of it up.

4.05/5  rDev +2.8%

Growler from Elmwood Village Beer Merchant. Hazy dark gold with a long lasting head and good lacing. Aroma is a mix of things with nothing really standing out. Lemon, pine and pepper. This a very spicy IPA that is well balanced. I was afraid after reading about this beer that the malt would be too sweet but it wasn't. Nicely done!

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

Had the Bengali on tap at Sunset Grille in Boston this weekend. Nice coppery color with very good head and lacing that would not end. Taste is a nice mix of maltiness and hoppiness, I wouldn't call it over-hopped, but up there with say a DFH 90 min. Smells of citrus but doesn't knock you over. Very drinkable, could easily have 3 or 4 of these in a night.

3.73/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours a hazy orange marmalade color with some yeast sediment settling to the bottom of the glass. There is a solid two fingers of offwhite head that doesn't budge. I'm expecting fantastic lacing.

The head is so thick that I don't get much smell coming out of the beer! What I do pick up on is a pretty spicy, herbally hop nose and a caramel, bready backbone.

The taste follows the nose in many senses. The first thing I pick up on the is the citrusy characteristics of the hops. I get orange more than anything. As the hops fade out, I get a bit of an apricot or peach flavor as it heads into a bready finish.

A relatively medium bodied beer with quite a bit of carbonation. I could almost go for a little less C02.

Overall, a pretty decent IPA. My can wasn't the definition of fresh so I'd like to try it a bit fresher next time. The spicy, citrusy hops were nice and the malt backbone balanced it out well.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

A - dark, copper/caramel color. A small fluffy head. The beer hugs the glass for a bit when taking a swig.

S - Hops, and lots of 'em!

T/M/D - this beer is a pleasant surprise! It is thick and punchy, and very hoppy. It reminds me of DFH90 but with less of an apricot taste, and a slightly burnt character. Delicious!

My first foray into the world of Sixpoint. They might be new to Chicago, or I might just have trouble buying anything but 3 Floyd's. Life is tough in the Windy City. Let's get in there.

A - poured into my FFF pint glass because I STILL have yet to get proper glassware. FML. Pours a light bronze with decent clarity/slight haze. The head is a full 2 fingers and even. Settles down in about 5 minutes. The lacing is nice throughout - better be, for what the can claims.

S - this beer smelled great the moment I opened it. Really filled my little office up actually. Piney hops with a little resin. Citrus too. Something really floral and refreshing deep in there at the end of the sniff. Love it.

T - malty, bready sweetness at the beginning that transitions nicely to some citrus hop bitterness. The bitterness hangs on at the end. Not tasting much alcohol here at all. Quite good.

M - medium. I don't know why "syrupy" keeps popping into my head, because I don't think it's thick like that at all, but maybe my subconscious knows better. A little oily.

O - A great first beer for me from Sixpoint. Would gladly drink these all night. Don't think it's a 99 like the Bros do, but they also gave Two Hearted a 70 something, so wtf do they know?

4.37/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

If you're like me, you've probably been tired of the constant hop bombardment which seems to be the rage these days. You crazy kids with your hip hops! Anyway, I'm as big a fan of double IPAs as anyone, but the IPA style in general seems to have been overpowered by extremities of late. I feel like breweries are trying to outdo each other to make the "hoppiest" beer, with little regard for balance.

Bengali Tiger is an American IPA with its wits about it. In the nose, its floral hops that strike first, with a mild malty sweetness to back it up. Definitely reminiscent, at least, of Goldings. Rich amber in color with an unremarkable head. But you summon this one for its taste, assuredly. Rolling, earthy hops that sustain but never overpower, balanced with a subtle yet sturdy malt frame. This is the first SixPoint I had, and I'm impressed!

4.77/5  rDev +21.1%

Quite an outstanding beer, having it on nitro-tap made it even better. The head was air-tight, rich and full of BIG hop aroma.

The taste was exceptional, full of floral and grassy notes, with citrus on the way out, simply outstanding. There was no cloying bitterness, however a welcoming blaket of hops as I finished each sip.

It was very light for such a big beer, even sessionable if I do say so myself.

4.09/5  rDev +3.8%

Picked this up the other day. Pours a desirable caramel, a kind-of white head dissipates leaving a film which accumulates on the edges of the glass. Smell is great, rich citrusy hops, all hops, strong, earthy hops. Taste finds hops as well. Citrus hops, bitter, some earth, maybe some malt, some floral hops. Ends bitter and floral. As expected mouthfeel comes with mild carbonation, hop flavors feel great over beginning of tongue. Overall this is a solid IPA, one I will certainly buy again. The 16oz size is appealing. Rich in the nose and flavor. A solid IPA that I will return to.

4.68/5  rDev +18.8%

Mmmmm... Tried this first at my local's IPA tasting. It won in my opinion. Very nice ale with them citrusy, piney hops that I so adore.

16oz can (love that we're starting to see fine ales in cans, as I'm an outdoorsman) poured into a 20oz "Liberal Pint" glass. Cloudy, amber, unfiltered. A fine looking brew. My nose may be failing me, as the aroma of this dry-hopped ale failed to wow me.

The first sip did not fail. Nor did subsequent sloshes. Light lacing (sorta tiger stripes I spose) as the fine flavors seep to my soul.

Yep, there's a new brewery in town (Brooklyn!) and they're serious. New to me anyway as I'm in Boston, but several weeks back, on a visit to NYC, I tasted a gravity-poured Sixpoint Signal Rauchbier at the Blind Tiger. It was to die for.

Cost was $10/4 16oz cans. A little high but no regrets.

3.35/5  rDev -15%

Hand-drawn at the Lazy Boy Saloon, White Plains

Appearance: A cloudy, golden amber, with a beautiful, frothy head that stuck around halfway down the glass.

Smell: A nice, spicy, herbal aroma.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Whoa, talk about a hop bomb! The bitterness hits right away and doesn't let go. Like a real sour grapefruit. I detected a slight sweetness underneath, but it was overwhelmed by the hops. Mouthfeel was nice and smooth, but I was left with a metallic aftertaste. I know IPAs can be hop monsters, but this just seemed unbalanced to me - perhaps I got the bottom of the keg?

Drinkability: The 6.8 ABV is barely noticeable. But I needed a few sips of water afterward to relieve my numbed palate.

Notes: Hop-heads, this is an IPA for you. Me, I'm not so sure.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

All around good

3.92/5  rDev -0.5%

A: Poured a cloudy orange with short head that receded quickly into a thin lacing.

S: Citrus zest, lime, some pine and herbal tinge made me think of cilantro.

T: Bright Grapefruit, tangerine, lime and some pine upfront. A long, long dry bitter finish. Not much in the way of malt, a little grain snuck in as it warmed. Not really balanced enough for me.

M: Crisp and oily at the same time very drying, good carbonation but not dominating.

A good Ipa with lots of complex hop flavor, not balanced enough to be a regular for me, but enjoyable for an ocasional tip. With a little more malt balance this beer would be spectacular - but that is subjective, I do prefer more balanced IPA's. Still, I look forward to the other two cans in the fridge.

4.14/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed this on Cask.

Minimal head from the cask, and what was there disipated rather quickly to a flat appearance. The color was a light brownish orange, although I was in a poorly lit area to be certain.

For an IPA, I would have to say the aroma was extremely mild. There was a hop presence on the nose but I had to search it out with some agressive inahlations.

The hops came through in flavor more easily than in aroma. It was subtle yet clearly present with a surprising malt backbone that came out in the finish.

The feel was extremely smooth, most likely due to the cask-conditioning. Carbonation was very light.

I had three 20oz pints and could have had a fourth if it wasn't for that fact I had to drive and it was a work night. It was very drinkable and made for a great session beer.

If someone is new to IPAs, this would be a great add to an IPA Starter Kit -- if such a thing existed.

Bengali Tiger from Sixpoint Brewery