Brownstone - Sixpoint Brewery

BrownstoneBrownstone

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

Our bedrock Brown Ale, and one of the first beers ever brewed by Sixpoint. A smooth, malty trip down a hop-lined Brooklyn street.

(Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-15-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brownstone Alström Bros

4.85/5  rDev +24.7%

I am NOT a fan of brown ales, as I find most of them warrant a fork & knife to be ingested. That being said, this beer blew my mind. Appearance is standard for a brown ale; deep mahogany, with a thin tan head, and fair lacing. The smell yielded notes of roasted malt, coffee, cocoa powder, toffee, and piney hops. The flavor was amazing; first the malty/sweetness hits you, then the hop essence blends in, and then it finishes with a roasted nut flavor that is not overpowering. I even detected the piney hops in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel, in my mind, was the best part...this was a medium-bodied brown ale, that felt adequately carbonated, easy on the palate, and VERY drinkable. The only sessionable brown ale that I've ever come across. I've butted heads with some friends over some of Sixpoint's offerings, but this, the Bengali IPA, and the Apollo Wheat really won me over. I'll try any new beer these guys concoct.

4.85/5  rDev +24.7%

A- poured from the growler into a pint glass deep clear brown color
S- sweet from the malts
T- complex maltiness and hops creates a great taste
M- a full taste of the beer throughout
O- overall this beer just gets better and better i would recommend drinking it at about 50 degrees

4.83/5  rDev +24.2%

Now, I might be a little biased about this beer, since I lugged a full keg from NYC to upstate NY in a rental car for my wedding, just so the guests could get a taste of Brooklyn.
But there's a reason the beer gal and I decided to serve this at our wedding: it's utterly delicious.
We were fortunate to serve beer that had been kegged just three days prior, and I can say from experience that this is a beer best drunk extremely fresh. I have had it when it's been lingering a bit, and it loses it fast. But oh, a fresh pint of this stuff ...
First off, this is the most beautiful chestnut brown color, which looked amazing in the glassware in many of our guests' hands in our candid wedding photos. It retains a perfect fluffy eggshell-colored head that does eventually recede, but leaves behind some nice sticky lacing. Brownstone smells like singed brown sugar, as in freshly baked cookies. What a nutty, molasses-tinged rush of flavor in that first sip, all at once creamy and rich and caramel-y, with a firm mouthfeel, just enough of a twangy hop kiss to remind you that this is Sixpoint, and a lingering roasty bitterness that urges you to have another sip.
Some of my new in-laws live in Michigan and are serious beer afficionados, lovers of Kalamazoo and Kuehnenn's, and proclaimed that I am their new favorite in law because of my taste in beer; meanwhile, several guests made a point to find us during the night and thank us for sharing this beer because they loved it so much, despite not being really "big beer drinkers." Yeah, it's that good. The best brown ale I've ever had.

4.83/5  rDev +24.2%

On cask at Bulls Head Public House in Lititz, PA

Light head with moderate lacing.
Smells of malts, brown sugar, and toffee
Taste follows suit, with enough hop to balance out the sweet malty backbone, bit doesn't overpower or dominate.
Medium mouthfeel, leaves the palette a bit dry.
Excellent brown ale, especially on cask!

4.7/5  rDev +20.8%

Appearance: 16oz can poured into a standard pint. Colour is a rich tree-bark-brown. Head is nearly two fingers in height, is bubbly and fluffy - fades leaving a nice lacing.

Smell: Powerful malts from the moment I popped the can. Bitter hops balance things out nicely.

Taste: Roasted malts offer a strong nuttiness that makes way for a bitter and hoppy aftertaste. Very balanced and delicious in the Sixpoint fashion.

Mouthfeel: Medium body has a nice, soft and velvety texture. Moderate levels of carbonation make for a touch of bite. Finishes with a hint of stickiness.

Overall: Perfectly balanced, tastes wonderful, and is incredibly satisfying. This is one of the best brown ales I've ever had.

4.68/5  rDev +20.3%

On-tap at Sixpoint/Jimmy's No. 43 vegetarian beer dinner

A: Pours a dark amber with a one-finger head that fades to nice lace.

S: Roast malt with strong American hop scent.

T: Although a brown ale, this tastes remarkably much like a stout (which is one of my favorite styles). It's of course less creamy, but the roast profile reminds me of Guiness or Beamish.

M: I felt this was a tad too carbonated. I'd love to be able to try this as a cask ale.

D: Very drinkable. In fact, I ordered another pint of it.

4.55/5  rDev +17%

Draught into mug.

Pours dark brown with a small, light tan head.

Aroma is bread crust and a hint of cocoa, roasty.

Taste follows suit - light nutty bread crust, roasty, hint of cocoa, smooth and round with a dry, roasty finish. Really top notch brown ale, could have drank this one all night long.

Moderate carbonation with a light to medium body.

4.53/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Pony, NYC:

A: Beautiful, dark, hazy brown body with full, thick mocha head with great retention and lacing. Exciting.

S/T: Great nutty coffee with good woody smoked malts, caramel, toffee, and some great toasted bread notes. Hop presence is decent, but not the focus.
M: Full, thick, slightly chewy with a good, extended finish.

D: I've had this a couple of times now, and it never fails to blow my mind. It's full, it's rich, it's complex, it's got everything, and it nonetheless does not overwhelm. Everything is right about this beer.

Brownstone from Sixpoint Brewery