2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brownstone - Sixpoint Brewery

BrownstoneBrownstone

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-15-2005)
View: Beers (95) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brownstone Alström Bros
Ratings: 411 | Reviews: 174 | Show All Ratings:
Act25

4.11/5  rDev +5.4%

16oz can, freshness date on the bottom.

LOOK: cloudy mahogany, sticky two fingers of tan head, lots of lacing and retention. Great. True to its name.

SMELL: Ample, up front hop resin, followed by milder bread, and spicy, caramel, faint orange peel, herbs, hay, and salty boardwalk.

TASTE: Very hoppy in a dry, resinous way, more than any brown ale, I've yet had, then it's smooth, toasted, chocolate, with wet hop bitter finish... also notes of pepper, orange rind, nuts, alcohol, with a dry, excellent finish.

FEEL: Perfect, dry, appetizing. Try at cellar temp for a real treat!

Feels and tastes like new york waterfront of 1900s. First rate, maybe top US Brown ale!

10-03-2013 01:00:55 | More by Act25
DrinkingDrake

3.78/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured a dark brown with a thin off-white head. I could still see through the glass. The nose was roasted malt with some light chocolate notes. Tastes is toasted and faint chocolate. A malty sweet body but with a good hop kick. There was a lot of zesty hops over the malt that left a dryness which complimented the toasted/roasted malts.

05-15-2011 22:02:36 | More by DrinkingDrake
taigor

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

On-tap poured into pint glass.

A - Poured dark brown with big head which dissipated very quickly.

S - Malts with bready yeast aromas and hints of caramel and nuts.

T - Sweet malts, some spices and nittiness, hints of chocolate and caramel.

M - Medium bodied with high carbonation.

D - Good and because of low abv can be consumed more often.

11-30-2009 17:23:50 | More by taigor
Jacobob10

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

On-tap @ Barcade in Brooklyn, NY.

Deep, ruby brown color with a one-finger white head. Fair amount of lacing on the glass. Caramel sweetness in the aroma with noticable floral hop bitterness. Flavor consisted of a roasted malt backbone and doughy yeast. Medium bodied with a clean finish.

01-08-2013 19:23:44 | More by Jacobob10
Teleweizen2

3.43/5  rDev -12.1%

A - a heavy handed pour yields a ruddy brown liquid with a billowing tower of off-white foam. Decent retention and leaves tons of lacing on the glass.

S - nose is a simple yet pleasant balance between malts and hops. Doughy dark bread and hints of milk chocolate collide with spicy and slightly citric American hops.

T - flavors are very similar to the nose. Lots of bready flavors. Mostly dough and multigrain bread. Citrus hop character presents a smooth bitterness and almost caraway like spice quality which lingers quite some time past the finish.

M - medium bodied with a slightly creamy texture. High carbonation almost fizzy.

O - not my favorite Sixpoint offering but still an enjoyable ale. Went quite nicely with cheeseburgers.

01-09-2013 16:59:46 | More by Teleweizen2
m1ked

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Growler from the Bowery WF...as usual

A- As it pours out of the growler, it looks like root beer. Once in my Pizza Port pint glass it is opaque at the center with mahogany/garnet edges. Had a healthy mocha colored foamy head that seemed to grow down, as opposed to overflowing- it fades with minimal lacing.

S- A nice balance of dark (brown) sugar and breadiness. Nothing too strong here, but nice. A touch of woodiness, and nut.

T- Like the nose, a good balance of the brown sugar/molasses & breadiness- there is some sweetness there, but not too sweet. The nutty flavor is more noticeable, and there is a a hit of bitter burnt nutty flavor at the end. A aftertaste of campfire smoke.

M- Light-med bodied, some lingering carbonation on the tongue. No residue noted.

D- I think that 6 point quietly puts out some solid beers....I have not had their whole lineup, but I have yet to have a bummer beer from them. The brownstone is a good example- a real good brown ale. Easy to drink and tasty.

10-02-2009 23:51:50 | More by m1ked
wcintula

3.83/5  rDev -1.8%

Had on tap at Korzo, Brooklyn.

Poured into a a liter mug, I'm in for a good time with this baby. A nice stiff finger-depth head on top of a dark chocolate filtered body. Smells wonderfully malty with layers of chocolate, coffee, and other roasted malts in this malt lovers ticket to paradise. The taste matches with a light-moderate body with some carbonation. I did not get bored drinking a liter of this.

09-09-2010 18:41:59 | More by wcintula
Brianmerrilyn

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

Enjoyed this at Great Jones Cafe for a Six Points tasting. This was my second choice and the first non Scottish(Newcastle)/English(Samuel Smith) brown I've had in many a moon.

A: Poured into pint glass to show off an ice team brown. The head was little less than a finger head, khaki in color. Retention was minor and almost no lacing. I would have expected a wee bit more but perhaps a 5.7%ABV is high for some folk.

S: The nose was difficult to determine at first and I had to bury my nose in the pint to get anything beyond some biscuits and malt.

T: First taste to my mouth was biscuits and grain. As you move through the pint, the malts become more noticeable. Not sure what type of candy created the sweetness but I reckon they are the dark chocolates and or caramel. The hops are mild and don't overpower the malts or biscuits but keep all in an even keel.

M: Quite light with a crisp finish due to the hops and retention. Of course smooth as is the case with this style. I agree with a previous poster about the oily nature but did not detract by any means.

D-Was a good session beer. I would like to try in a bottle after reading a few reviews and being better than on tap which is news to me. An easy brew to put down.

09-10-2008 15:13:30 | More by Brianmerrilyn
rdilauro

Connecticut

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

For starters, I am not a fan of Brown Ales. But I have loved each Sixpoint brew I have tasted.

The pour was solid brown with a very nice light cream colored head. There really wasn't much of an aroma that I could detect. I poured more into another glass to check for aromas, but again pretty neutral.

The taste was very full and soft. Softer then most brown ale's that I have tasted.

The finish was good and neutral.

So, my summary is that this one is pleasant. I have nothing negative to say about this ale, and on the other hand, I have nothing very positive to say, except that it is good tasting beer. I am glad I tasted it, but it wouldnt be something I would have again.

However, keep in mind, I really do not like Brown Ales to start with, but I always enjoy tasting different beers. Not only for my personal reviews, but it helps when it comes to describing various beers to our customers.

12-28-2012 13:05:30 | More by rdilauro
JWU

4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

On cask at Bulls Head Public House in Lititz, PA

Light head with moderate lacing.
Smells of malts, brown sugar, and toffee
Taste follows suit, with enough hop to balance out the sweet malty backbone, bit doesn't overpower or dominate.
Medium mouthfeel, leaves the palette a bit dry.
Excellent brown ale, especially on cask!

Serving type: cask

07-18-2010 23:26:03 | More by JWU
nimrod979

Maryland

3.4/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can into a standard pint glass. Best by 4/26/13

Appearance: Pours a lighter, well more of a deep amber when held into the light. Smallish one finger off white head. Okay retention but some nice sticky lacing

Aroma: Slight nutty, caramel, malty. Earthiness. Not much though. Aromas are rather weak.

Taste: Mild nutty and roasty flavor. some brown sugar molasses thing going on. Still laking on the malts. Interesting thing is the somewhat bitter finish on the backend. Citrus hops thing going on back there.

Mouthfeel: Actually goes down pretty easy. The hops bitterness is a little too forward than I've perhaps ever had for the style. It's medium bodied. with average carbonation. I think the lighter use of malts make it a bit

Decent, drinkable. Nothing remarkable though.

10-01-2012 23:56:56 | More by nimrod979
drperm

4.18/5  rDev +7.2%

On-tap at Floyd's in Brooklyn (the home of the indoor Bocce court!).

After a week of beer anemia in the Caribbean (Wadadli and Red Stripe, with my only relief being a single bottle of Guinness Foreign Extra), I was ready to hit up some quality brews as I passed through NYC on my way home. Sixpoint Brownstone not only fit the bill, it made my day.
This is a brown ale to inspire odes. Perfectly balanced, lovely to look at (in a dark or dim room, hold a candle behind the glass -- it shimmers a beautiful red-brown), and a joy to sip.
It flirts with being too sweet, but then a follow-through of hop bitterness saves the day.
It begins sharply on the tongue, but the lingering aftertaste is heavenly -- I believe I stated that I would be loathe to brush my teeth that night, for fear of losing the Brownstone finish in my mouth.
Worth a trip to Brooklyn!

06-24-2009 16:39:14 | More by drperm
speter

4.68/5  rDev +20%

On-tap at Sixpoint/Jimmy's No. 43 vegetarian beer dinner

A: Pours a dark amber with a one-finger head that fades to nice lace.

S: Roast malt with strong American hop scent.

T: Although a brown ale, this tastes remarkably much like a stout (which is one of my favorite styles). It's of course less creamy, but the roast profile reminds me of Guiness or Beamish.

M: I felt this was a tad too carbonated. I'd love to be able to try this as a cask ale.

D: Very drinkable. In fact, I ordered another pint of it.

01-21-2010 23:49:01 | More by speter
AChamberlain

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

On cask at the House of Brews on the West 46th. Served at correct temperature. Brownish red color and thin offwhite head. Sweet and raisn aromas. Flavors were hoppy and sweet malts. Smooth and silky. Ultra drinkable, the perfect session. One of the better Sixpoint ales.

Serving type: cask

04-04-2008 02:42:57 | More by AChamberlain
gr0g

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Deep brown color. A head of 3+ fingers of foam develops. Excellent head retention, chunky lacing. Looks like a Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale. Slightly nutty aroma, specifically walnuts. Malts impart a chocolate/toffee aroma, while a vague floral hop aroma can be detected.

Well balanced between maltiness and hop bitterness. The bitterness picks up on the finish and lingers a bit, leaving no doubt that this is an American brown. Muddled notes of caramel and hazelnut that fail to stabilize before the hops drown them out. Roast and/or chocolate malt character is lacking, something I like to see in a brown ale. The texture is fairly impressive, though, with a medium body and a carbonation that borders on creamy.

While an impressive looking pint, Brownstone doesn't live up to the promise of its appearance. It's a good brown ale but doesn't really separate itself from the pack.

06-11-2013 03:09:13 | More by gr0g
Tschnab

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

A- Very murky brown, can't see through it at all due to the cloudiness. Khaki head a fingerhigh with moderate lace.

S- very light coffe and chocolate, but mostly the smell is of toasty grain, bread, malt, and fragrant citrusy hops. Actually the coffee comes through more as the beer warms. Smells delicious.

T- Very bready, very nutty, great balance between malt and hop. Bitter chocolate and coffee shine on the finish. This is a sipper due to its huge flavor, but it is quite tasty.

O- Awesome brown ale. I really like brown ales like this, the ones that have stout-like characteristics but also have a good hop presence and sweet nuttiness.

11-20-2011 17:29:00 | More by Tschnab
oldirtycaffrey

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Tried the Brownstone while at a very nice place in NYC called The Half Pint (76 West 3rd Street, near Bleecker). It pours a dark brown with a foamy tan head. Some lacing on the glass. Smell was strong in hops and just a *tad* amount of roasted chocolate. Chocolate did not come out in the taste so much, but it's roasty hoppiness was very nice. A robust brown ale.

11-04-2007 14:43:37 | More by oldirtycaffrey
bonbright7

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%

My growler of Brownstone Ale was a perfect ice breaker at a pre-Christmas dinner last night as I poured all the adults from Nova Scotia, Vancouver and North Carolina a taste of one of Brooklyn's best. It's interesting malty aroma invited comments and first tasters remarked how smooth it went with the cheese platters we had out. A second round finished off the growler, but the unquestionable drinkability brought everyone to tell me what they wanted for Christmas in the form of growlers and half barrels.

12-24-2007 16:20:59 | More by bonbright7
bultrey

4.83/5  rDev +23.8%

Now, I might be a little biased about this beer, since I lugged a full keg from NYC to upstate NY in a rental car for my wedding, just so the guests could get a taste of Brooklyn.
But there's a reason the beer gal and I decided to serve this at our wedding: it's utterly delicious.
We were fortunate to serve beer that had been kegged just three days prior, and I can say from experience that this is a beer best drunk extremely fresh. I have had it when it's been lingering a bit, and it loses it fast. But oh, a fresh pint of this stuff ...
First off, this is the most beautiful chestnut brown color, which looked amazing in the glassware in many of our guests' hands in our candid wedding photos. It retains a perfect fluffy eggshell-colored head that does eventually recede, but leaves behind some nice sticky lacing. Brownstone smells like singed brown sugar, as in freshly baked cookies. What a nutty, molasses-tinged rush of flavor in that first sip, all at once creamy and rich and caramel-y, with a firm mouthfeel, just enough of a twangy hop kiss to remind you that this is Sixpoint, and a lingering roasty bitterness that urges you to have another sip.
Some of my new in-laws live in Michigan and are serious beer afficionados, lovers of Kalamazoo and Kuehnenn's, and proclaimed that I am their new favorite in law because of my taste in beer; meanwhile, several guests made a point to find us during the night and thank us for sharing this beer because they loved it so much, despite not being really "big beer drinkers." Yeah, it's that good. The best brown ale I've ever had.

11-17-2006 05:18:57 | More by bultrey
TheycallmeTim

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into an American pint glass.

A--Deep, rich almost black brown with hints of ruby and garnet toward the bottom. Unless you hold this up to bright light, where you can clearly tell its brown, it looks nearly black, like a porter. Head is a miniscule half-finger off-white that has decent retention but doesn't lace. Given the hop presence in this beer I'm kind of surprised at the head.

S--First-rate. There's a sweetish sourdough loaf thing going with some toffee notes on top of it and even some flowers on top of all of that. Toward the back of the nose you get a coffee bite. Really nice aroma, super inviting.

T--Different from the nose in that the roasty malts really come through with both biscuity, toasted grain flavors and dark chocolate and coffee notes. Hops don't dominate, but cleanse, as they round out the profile and clearly make themselves known at the end of a taste. The bitter coffee mixed with the fresh floral hops at the back when you're done sipping works wonderfully, I think. Super mellow brown with a kick of chocolate malt and hops.

M&D--Mouthfeel is a little too slick and watery for me, but the carbonation is lively, which is a must for me with brown ales because when they're flat they're just too cloying. Ton of flavor packed into this sucker for 5.7%--not every American brewer can do this.

Is it an action-packed porter, or a rich, chocolatey goodness brown? Sixpoint's brewed up another platypus, and while sometimes their style-slicing creativity can result in their creations blurring together (Otis tastes a lot like Diesel to me, and the Apollo Wheat isn't /that/ much different than Sweet Action), this time the ingenuity works.

12-15-2008 22:14:56 | More by TheycallmeTim
dudecandle

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Pony, NYC:

A: Beautiful, dark, hazy brown body with full, thick mocha head with great retention and lacing. Exciting.

S/T: Great nutty coffee with good woody smoked malts, caramel, toffee, and some great toasted bread notes. Hop presence is decent, but not the focus.
M: Full, thick, slightly chewy with a good, extended finish.

D: I've had this a couple of times now, and it never fails to blow my mind. It's full, it's rich, it's complex, it's got everything, and it nonetheless does not overwhelm. Everything is right about this beer.

08-07-2009 07:09:43 | More by dudecandle
greybeardloon

Rhode Island

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

best before March 22, 2013 (I think--the date is pretty smudged; I remember the date being in March of 2013 when it was legible)

A: Clear reddish brown with a thick head and good lacing.

S: Resinous, piney hops.

T: Citric, resinous hops that come across as sour. Bready malt is faint in the background. Well hidden toastiness on the finish, if I really concentrate.

M: Soft, yet a bit prickly. Too thin.

O: A far cry from the draft version I remember from the Redhook brewery.

10-30-2012 01:22:10 | More by greybeardloon
PopeJonPaul

Oregon

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

You know a beer is good when you go into the bar to order something else, but decide to have one of these first, and then end up drinking three of them. At 2 in the afternoon.

Creamy white head, dark brown with ruby red hues, doesn't smell like much but very malty, coffee, smooth taste and a bit of chocolatey caramel sweetness with just the right amount of hops on the top. The standout qualities of this beer are the taste and the mouthfeel. I would have to say this beer was perfectly carbonated. Very effervescent, but not "big bubbled" like soda, it's like a brown ale with the carbonation of an Aventinus and it really brings out the taste. Combine that with the lite hoppiness and the sweetness and you have a refreshing brown ale, even in the muggy hot summer. I normally don't touch anything but wheat beers or IPAs in the summer but this is way, way worth it.

09-20-2005 02:26:40 | More by PopeJonPaul
EkimGram

4.7/5  rDev +20.5%

Appearance: 16oz can poured into a standard pint. Colour is a rich tree-bark-brown. Head is nearly two fingers in height, is bubbly and fluffy - fades leaving a nice lacing.

Smell: Powerful malts from the moment I popped the can. Bitter hops balance things out nicely.

Taste: Roasted malts offer a strong nuttiness that makes way for a bitter and hoppy aftertaste. Very balanced and delicious in the Sixpoint fashion.

Mouthfeel: Medium body has a nice, soft and velvety texture. Moderate levels of carbonation make for a touch of bite. Finishes with a hint of stickiness.

Overall: Perfectly balanced, tastes wonderful, and is incredibly satisfying. This is one of the best brown ales I've ever had.

10-25-2012 03:27:11 | More by EkimGram
lehows

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

Had this on tap at Fraunce's Tavern. It pours wonderfully with a gargantuan off-white head that quickly settled down to a nice thin lace. The smell was bready but I got a lot coffee and caramel notes in there too. One of my friends was nursing it but I found it highly drinkable and tasty. I had quite a few. This is another great brew from the guys at Sixpoint.

11-29-2006 14:23:28 | More by lehows