Brownstone - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-15-2005

Our bedrock Brown Ale, and one of the first beers ever brewed by Sixpoint. A smooth, malty trip down a hop-lined Brooklyn street.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brownstone Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev 0%

Sixpoint Brownstone...

Appearance-Nice brown color, lacy head, and good retention.

Smell of toffee, caramel, alcohol, dried malt.

Taste-dark malty taste, residual sweetness, late alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel-Nice aftertaste, nutty with a final kick of alcohol, the smooth body helps as well.

Drinkability- Nice sessioner, a good brown ale to throw back.

Overall-Solid brown ale, well made and flavorful.

4.06/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 16 oz can into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a cloudy brown with slight red hints with an off white head. Smells of earthy hops, surprising for a brown ale. Tastes of dark malt and earthy hops, nice combination. Carbonation is right for its light body and goes down smooth. Overall a very good beer.

3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: With some amber hues and an off white head a good two figners thick is a solid brown colored beer.

Aroma: Citrus hops, roasted caramel malts, light toffee hints, and a little bit of dark bread.

Taste: Fairly sweet up front with a decent amount of citrus trailing. Light roasty notes and caramel malts. The mouthfeel is on the smooth side and finishes the same way.

Notes: A solid beer and nicely drinkable. Cheers.

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

(From notes)

A - Deep coppery brown; hints of orange around the edges. Thinnish off-white head. Great spiderweb lacing.

S - Sweetish maltiness, with light fresh yeasty bread/biscuity aromas.

T - Great maltiness for the style, with bittersweet chocolate and just a touch of hop bitterness in the finish

M - Thinner MF, but within what would be expected for the style. Not at all watery, and muted carbonation

D - Hugely drinkable, and has made a fine session brew for me on many occasions. Great flavors, but very well balanced really makes this a high score for me.

Overall, this is a fine take on what can be a blander style from other breweries. Maintained a great deal of complexity for the style, and that really makes it stand out. Recommended.

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

On-tap poured into pint glass.

A - Poured dark brown with big head which dissipated very quickly.

S - Malts with bready yeast aromas and hints of caramel and nuts.

T - Sweet malts, some spices and nittiness, hints of chocolate and caramel.

M - Medium bodied with high carbonation.

D - Good and because of low abv can be consumed more often.

3.67/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Deep brown color. A head of 3+ fingers of foam develops. Excellent head retention, chunky lacing. Looks like a Samuel Smith Nut Brown Ale. Slightly nutty aroma, specifically walnuts. Malts impart a chocolate/toffee aroma, while a vague floral hop aroma can be detected.

Well balanced between maltiness and hop bitterness. The bitterness picks up on the finish and lingers a bit, leaving no doubt that this is an American brown. Muddled notes of caramel and hazelnut that fail to stabilize before the hops drown them out. Roast and/or chocolate malt character is lacking, something I like to see in a brown ale. The texture is fairly impressive, though, with a medium body and a carbonation that borders on creamy.

While an impressive looking pint, Brownstone doesn't live up to the promise of its appearance. It's a good brown ale but doesn't really separate itself from the pack.

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Into a pint glass:

A: brown colored body that yields a great two finger white foamy head that lasts for a good two minutes. Nice spider-web foamy lacing appears and lasts pratically forever. No carbonation is seen rising.

S: hops in front of the malts. A slight nuttiness comes through as the beer warms.

T: pretty much the same smells in the tastes combining and eventually yielding a slight enjoyable sweetness that I really like.

M: light to medium with nothing harsh on the tongue, fairly sessionable.

O: I like this for the most part, yet for a brown the hops are a bit too much in front of the malts.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Had this beer on cask. It poured a medium, cloudy brown with a big tan head, with nice retention and lacing. The smell was reserved; There was a certain bread-like quality to it. But it wasn't overly pronounced.

This is a pretty solid brown ale. The taste is buscuity and caramel malts with bitterness coming through near the finish. Not as sweet as some other browns. Mouthfeel was full and chewy. It was a very filling beer for me, so I don't know that I would call it sessionable, but it's still quite drinkable. Overall a reccomended brown ale from Sixpoint.

3.11/5  rDev -20.3%

Had this at Il Casale in Belmont, MA, a noisy restaurant with good food and a decent beer list. Mahogany brown, the color of my piano, with some shininess around the edges. Was served with almost no head, so I can't comment on that part of the beer except to growl and say it should have been served with a head, and then go off on my standard tirade about how beer served in pubs and restaurants is usually served without a head and the glass is filled to the FREAKING brim... But I digress.

Very little aroma, but if I pulled hard I could detect a bit of caramel and some smoky beef. Rather thin body, rather thin taste: more caramel and some vanilla, maybe a few raisins. Had a reasonably wet finish, which I like in this style. Went well with a terrific seafood stew. An average brown ale, not great but not bad. You could do worse.

3.42/5  rDev -12.3%

A - a heavy handed pour yields a ruddy brown liquid with a billowing tower of off-white foam. Decent retention and leaves tons of lacing on the glass.

S - nose is a simple yet pleasant balance between malts and hops. Doughy dark bread and hints of milk chocolate collide with spicy and slightly citric American hops.

T - flavors are very similar to the nose. Lots of bready flavors. Mostly dough and multigrain bread. Citrus hop character presents a smooth bitterness and almost caraway like spice quality which lingers quite some time past the finish.

M - medium bodied with a slightly creamy texture. High carbonation almost fizzy.

O - not my favorite Sixpoint offering but still an enjoyable ale. Went quite nicely with cheeseburgers.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Slightly cloudy and dark brown in color with a small tan head. Decent head retention and sporadic lacing.

Fairly restrained aroma that is biscuity with caramel, nut, and light chocolate roast malt.

Nice malty flavor - slightly sweet with caramel, toasted bread, mild coffee, nuts, and a touch of chocolate nibs. Nuttiness gets more pronounced, which along with the roasted malts and mild hops does a great job of balancing the sweetness. Finishes a little bitter with a quickly fading aftertaste.

Medium bodied, smooth and a little chewy. Very satisfying and drinkable. Brown Ales are not my thing, but this was a very tasty and sessionable one.

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

Had on tap at TJ Finleys in Bay Shore, NY. Served in a pint glass.

Look: clear, reddish brown with two fingers of fluffy, egg shell white head. Great lacing is left behind.

Smell: the malt really stands out with caramel, hints of chocolate, and a bit of earthy hops.

Taste: follows the nose with a good amount of chocolate, some caramel, some brown sugar, and some roastiness without straying into the realm of porter. Balanced nicely with some earthy hops. Very solid brown ale flavor.

Feel: fairly light, crisply carbonated.

Drink: very easy drinking. One could session this if one wanted to.

Overall, this is a very solid brown and a great beer from Sixpoint. This is my first Sixpoint beer and its giving me something to look out for. I'll be trying any Sixpoints I see on tap from now on. Worth a try if browns are your thing. Cheers!

3.76/5  rDev -3.6%

For starters, I am not a fan of Brown Ales. But I have loved each Sixpoint brew I have tasted.

The pour was solid brown with a very nice light cream colored head. There really wasn't much of an aroma that I could detect. I poured more into another glass to check for aromas, but again pretty neutral.

The taste was very full and soft. Softer then most brown ale's that I have tasted.

The finish was good and neutral.

So, my summary is that this one is pleasant. I have nothing negative to say about this ale, and on the other hand, I have nothing very positive to say, except that it is good tasting beer. I am glad I tasted it, but it wouldnt be something I would have again.

However, keep in mind, I really do not like Brown Ales to start with, but I always enjoy tasting different beers. Not only for my personal reviews, but it helps when it comes to describing various beers to our customers.

3.42/5  rDev -12.3%

A: Very dark brown body. No lacing.

S: nutty, coffee, bread.

T: Very solid taste, with good coffee and chocolate undertones. Very little bitterness.

M: Not highly carbonated.

O: Very good brown ale, challenges the style, and Six Point continues to impress me.

4.82/5  rDev +23.6%

On cask at Bulls Head Public House in Lititz, PA

Light head with moderate lacing.
Smells of malts, brown sugar, and toffee
Taste follows suit, with enough hop to balance out the sweet malty backbone, bit doesn't overpower or dominate.
Medium mouthfeel, leaves the palette a bit dry.
Excellent brown ale, especially on cask!

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Growler from the Bowery WF...as usual

A- As it pours out of the growler, it looks like root beer. Once in my Pizza Port pint glass it is opaque at the center with mahogany/garnet edges. Had a healthy mocha colored foamy head that seemed to grow down, as opposed to overflowing- it fades with minimal lacing.

S- A nice balance of dark (brown) sugar and breadiness. Nothing too strong here, but nice. A touch of woodiness, and nut.

T- Like the nose, a good balance of the brown sugar/molasses & breadiness- there is some sweetness there, but not too sweet. The nutty flavor is more noticeable, and there is a a hit of bitter burnt nutty flavor at the end. A aftertaste of campfire smoke.

M- Light-med bodied, some lingering carbonation on the tongue. No residue noted.

D- I think that 6 point quietly puts out some solid beers....I have not had their whole lineup, but I have yet to have a bummer beer from them. The brownstone is a good example- a real good brown ale. Easy to drink and tasty.

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

Had on tap at Korzo, Brooklyn.

Poured into a a liter mug, I'm in for a good time with this baby. A nice stiff finger-depth head on top of a dark chocolate filtered body. Smells wonderfully malty with layers of chocolate, coffee, and other roasted malts in this malt lovers ticket to paradise. The taste matches with a light-moderate body with some carbonation. I did not get bored drinking a liter of this.

3.73/5  rDev -4.4%

Enjoyed this at Great Jones Cafe for a Six Points tasting. This was my second choice and the first non Scottish(Newcastle)/English(Samuel Smith) brown I've had in many a moon.

A: Poured into pint glass to show off an ice team brown. The head was little less than a finger head, khaki in color. Retention was minor and almost no lacing. I would have expected a wee bit more but perhaps a 5.7%ABV is high for some folk.

S: The nose was difficult to determine at first and I had to bury my nose in the pint to get anything beyond some biscuits and malt.

T: First taste to my mouth was biscuits and grain. As you move through the pint, the malts become more noticeable. Not sure what type of candy created the sweetness but I reckon they are the dark chocolates and or caramel. The hops are mild and don't overpower the malts or biscuits but keep all in an even keel.

M: Quite light with a crisp finish due to the hops and retention. Of course smooth as is the case with this style. I agree with a previous poster about the oily nature but did not detract by any means.

D-Was a good session beer. I would like to try in a bottle after reading a few reviews and being better than on tap which is news to me. An easy brew to put down.

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can into a standard pint glass. Best by 4/26/13

Appearance: Pours a lighter, well more of a deep amber when held into the light. Smallish one finger off white head. Okay retention but some nice sticky lacing

Aroma: Slight nutty, caramel, malty. Earthiness. Not much though. Aromas are rather weak.

Taste: Mild nutty and roasty flavor. some brown sugar molasses thing going on. Still laking on the malts. Interesting thing is the somewhat bitter finish on the backend. Citrus hops thing going on back there.

Mouthfeel: Actually goes down pretty easy. The hops bitterness is a little too forward than I've perhaps ever had for the style. It's medium bodied. with average carbonation. I think the lighter use of malts make it a bit

Decent, drinkable. Nothing remarkable though.

4.18/5  rDev +7.2%

On-tap at Floyd's in Brooklyn (the home of the indoor Bocce court!).

After a week of beer anemia in the Caribbean (Wadadli and Red Stripe, with my only relief being a single bottle of Guinness Foreign Extra), I was ready to hit up some quality brews as I passed through NYC on my way home. Sixpoint Brownstone not only fit the bill, it made my day.
This is a brown ale to inspire odes. Perfectly balanced, lovely to look at (in a dark or dim room, hold a candle behind the glass -- it shimmers a beautiful red-brown), and a joy to sip.
It flirts with being too sweet, but then a follow-through of hop bitterness saves the day.
It begins sharply on the tongue, but the lingering aftertaste is heavenly -- I believe I stated that I would be loathe to brush my teeth that night, for fear of losing the Brownstone finish in my mouth.
Worth a trip to Brooklyn!

3.65/5  rDev -6.4%

Tried the Brownstone while at a very nice place in NYC called The Half Pint (76 West 3rd Street, near Bleecker). It pours a dark brown with a foamy tan head. Some lacing on the glass. Smell was strong in hops and just a *tad* amount of roasted chocolate. Chocolate did not come out in the taste so much, but it's roasty hoppiness was very nice. A robust brown ale.

4.65/5  rDev +19.2%

On-tap at Sixpoint/Jimmy's No. 43 vegetarian beer dinner

A: Pours a dark amber with a one-finger head that fades to nice lace.

S: Roast malt with strong American hop scent.

T: Although a brown ale, this tastes remarkably much like a stout (which is one of my favorite styles). It's of course less creamy, but the roast profile reminds me of Guiness or Beamish.

M: I felt this was a tad too carbonated. I'd love to be able to try this as a cask ale.

D: Very drinkable. In fact, I ordered another pint of it.

4.1/5  rDev +5.1%

On cask at the House of Brews on the West 46th. Served at correct temperature. Brownish red color and thin offwhite head. Sweet and raisn aromas. Flavors were hoppy and sweet malts. Smooth and silky. Ultra drinkable, the perfect session. One of the better Sixpoint ales.

4.53/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Pony, NYC:

A: Beautiful, dark, hazy brown body with full, thick mocha head with great retention and lacing. Exciting.

S/T: Great nutty coffee with good woody smoked malts, caramel, toffee, and some great toasted bread notes. Hop presence is decent, but not the focus.
M: Full, thick, slightly chewy with a good, extended finish.

D: I've had this a couple of times now, and it never fails to blow my mind. It's full, it's rich, it's complex, it's got everything, and it nonetheless does not overwhelm. Everything is right about this beer.

4.4/5  rDev +12.8%

My growler of Brownstone Ale was a perfect ice breaker at a pre-Christmas dinner last night as I poured all the adults from Nova Scotia, Vancouver and North Carolina a taste of one of Brooklyn's best. It's interesting malty aroma invited comments and first tasters remarked how smooth it went with the cheese platters we had out. A second round finished off the growler, but the unquestionable drinkability brought everyone to tell me what they wanted for Christmas in the form of growlers and half barrels.

Brownstone from Sixpoint Brewery