Brownstone - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-15-2005

Our bedrock Brown Ale, and one of the first beers ever brewed by Sixpoint. A smooth, malty trip down a hop-lined Brooklyn street.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brownstone Alström Bros
Ratings: 442 | Reviews: 177
4.82/5  rDev +23.9%

On cask at Bulls Head Public House in Lititz, PA

Light head with moderate lacing.
Smells of malts, brown sugar, and toffee
Taste follows suit, with enough hop to balance out the sweet malty backbone, bit doesn't overpower or dominate.
Medium mouthfeel, leaves the palette a bit dry.
Excellent brown ale, especially on cask!

3.8/5  rDev -2.3%

Had on tap at Korzo, Brooklyn.

Poured into a a liter mug, I'm in for a good time with this baby. A nice stiff finger-depth head on top of a dark chocolate filtered body. Smells wonderfully malty with layers of chocolate, coffee, and other roasted malts in this malt lovers ticket to paradise. The taste matches with a light-moderate body with some carbonation. I did not get bored drinking a liter of this.

3.73/5  rDev -4.1%

Enjoyed this at Great Jones Cafe for a Six Points tasting. This was my second choice and the first non Scottish(Newcastle)/English(Samuel Smith) brown I've had in many a moon.

A: Poured into pint glass to show off an ice team brown. The head was little less than a finger head, khaki in color. Retention was minor and almost no lacing. I would have expected a wee bit more but perhaps a 5.7%ABV is high for some folk.

S: The nose was difficult to determine at first and I had to bury my nose in the pint to get anything beyond some biscuits and malt.

T: First taste to my mouth was biscuits and grain. As you move through the pint, the malts become more noticeable. Not sure what type of candy created the sweetness but I reckon they are the dark chocolates and or caramel. The hops are mild and don't overpower the malts or biscuits but keep all in an even keel.

M: Quite light with a crisp finish due to the hops and retention. Of course smooth as is the case with this style. I agree with a previous poster about the oily nature but did not detract by any means.

D-Was a good session beer. I would like to try in a bottle after reading a few reviews and being better than on tap which is news to me. An easy brew to put down.

3.38/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Can into a standard pint glass. Best by 4/26/13

Appearance: Pours a lighter, well more of a deep amber when held into the light. Smallish one finger off white head. Okay retention but some nice sticky lacing

Aroma: Slight nutty, caramel, malty. Earthiness. Not much though. Aromas are rather weak.

Taste: Mild nutty and roasty flavor. some brown sugar molasses thing going on. Still laking on the malts. Interesting thing is the somewhat bitter finish on the backend. Citrus hops thing going on back there.

Mouthfeel: Actually goes down pretty easy. The hops bitterness is a little too forward than I've perhaps ever had for the style. It's medium bodied. with average carbonation. I think the lighter use of malts make it a bit

Decent, drinkable. Nothing remarkable though.

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%

On-tap at Floyd's in Brooklyn (the home of the indoor Bocce court!).

After a week of beer anemia in the Caribbean (Wadadli and Red Stripe, with my only relief being a single bottle of Guinness Foreign Extra), I was ready to hit up some quality brews as I passed through NYC on my way home. Sixpoint Brownstone not only fit the bill, it made my day.
This is a brown ale to inspire odes. Perfectly balanced, lovely to look at (in a dark or dim room, hold a candle behind the glass -- it shimmers a beautiful red-brown), and a joy to sip.
It flirts with being too sweet, but then a follow-through of hop bitterness saves the day.
It begins sharply on the tongue, but the lingering aftertaste is heavenly -- I believe I stated that I would be loathe to brush my teeth that night, for fear of losing the Brownstone finish in my mouth.
Worth a trip to Brooklyn!

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

Tried the Brownstone while at a very nice place in NYC called The Half Pint (76 West 3rd Street, near Bleecker). It pours a dark brown with a foamy tan head. Some lacing on the glass. Smell was strong in hops and just a *tad* amount of roasted chocolate. Chocolate did not come out in the taste so much, but it's roasty hoppiness was very nice. A robust brown ale.

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%

On-tap at Sixpoint/Jimmy's No. 43 vegetarian beer dinner

A: Pours a dark amber with a one-finger head that fades to nice lace.

S: Roast malt with strong American hop scent.

T: Although a brown ale, this tastes remarkably much like a stout (which is one of my favorite styles). It's of course less creamy, but the roast profile reminds me of Guiness or Beamish.

M: I felt this was a tad too carbonated. I'd love to be able to try this as a cask ale.

D: Very drinkable. In fact, I ordered another pint of it.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

On cask at the House of Brews on the West 46th. Served at correct temperature. Brownish red color and thin offwhite head. Sweet and raisn aromas. Flavors were hoppy and sweet malts. Smooth and silky. Ultra drinkable, the perfect session. One of the better Sixpoint ales.

4.53/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at The Pony, NYC:

A: Beautiful, dark, hazy brown body with full, thick mocha head with great retention and lacing. Exciting.

S/T: Great nutty coffee with good woody smoked malts, caramel, toffee, and some great toasted bread notes. Hop presence is decent, but not the focus.
M: Full, thick, slightly chewy with a good, extended finish.

D: I've had this a couple of times now, and it never fails to blow my mind. It's full, it's rich, it's complex, it's got everything, and it nonetheless does not overwhelm. Everything is right about this beer.

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%

My growler of Brownstone Ale was a perfect ice breaker at a pre-Christmas dinner last night as I poured all the adults from Nova Scotia, Vancouver and North Carolina a taste of one of Brooklyn's best. It's interesting malty aroma invited comments and first tasters remarked how smooth it went with the cheese platters we had out. A second round finished off the growler, but the unquestionable drinkability brought everyone to tell me what they wanted for Christmas in the form of growlers and half barrels.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

pours a good looking pint of beer - nice rich, clear ruby brown color - good head retention and lacing down a pint glass - faint aroma and pretty tasty - mildly bold without being brash -
goes nice with a good pub burger - i could drink a few of these on a lunch hour

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%

Now, I might be a little biased about this beer, since I lugged a full keg from NYC to upstate NY in a rental car for my wedding, just so the guests could get a taste of Brooklyn.
But there's a reason the beer gal and I decided to serve this at our wedding: it's utterly delicious.
We were fortunate to serve beer that had been kegged just three days prior, and I can say from experience that this is a beer best drunk extremely fresh. I have had it when it's been lingering a bit, and it loses it fast. But oh, a fresh pint of this stuff ...
First off, this is the most beautiful chestnut brown color, which looked amazing in the glassware in many of our guests' hands in our candid wedding photos. It retains a perfect fluffy eggshell-colored head that does eventually recede, but leaves behind some nice sticky lacing. Brownstone smells like singed brown sugar, as in freshly baked cookies. What a nutty, molasses-tinged rush of flavor in that first sip, all at once creamy and rich and caramel-y, with a firm mouthfeel, just enough of a twangy hop kiss to remind you that this is Sixpoint, and a lingering roasty bitterness that urges you to have another sip.
Some of my new in-laws live in Michigan and are serious beer afficionados, lovers of Kalamazoo and Kuehnenn's, and proclaimed that I am their new favorite in law because of my taste in beer; meanwhile, several guests made a point to find us during the night and thank us for sharing this beer because they loved it so much, despite not being really "big beer drinkers." Yeah, it's that good. The best brown ale I've ever had.

4.14/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a growler into an American pint glass.

A--Deep, rich almost black brown with hints of ruby and garnet toward the bottom. Unless you hold this up to bright light, where you can clearly tell its brown, it looks nearly black, like a porter. Head is a miniscule half-finger off-white that has decent retention but doesn't lace. Given the hop presence in this beer I'm kind of surprised at the head.

S--First-rate. There's a sweetish sourdough loaf thing going with some toffee notes on top of it and even some flowers on top of all of that. Toward the back of the nose you get a coffee bite. Really nice aroma, super inviting.

T--Different from the nose in that the roasty malts really come through with both biscuity, toasted grain flavors and dark chocolate and coffee notes. Hops don't dominate, but cleanse, as they round out the profile and clearly make themselves known at the end of a taste. The bitter coffee mixed with the fresh floral hops at the back when you're done sipping works wonderfully, I think. Super mellow brown with a kick of chocolate malt and hops.

M&D--Mouthfeel is a little too slick and watery for me, but the carbonation is lively, which is a must for me with brown ales because when they're flat they're just too cloying. Ton of flavor packed into this sucker for 5.7%--not every American brewer can do this.

Is it an action-packed porter, or a rich, chocolatey goodness brown? Sixpoint's brewed up another platypus, and while sometimes their style-slicing creativity can result in their creations blurring together (Otis tastes a lot like Diesel to me, and the Apollo Wheat isn't /that/ much different than Sweet Action), this time the ingenuity works.

2.82/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Perhaps these cans are a bit old, but there seems to be some oxidation in my cans, with a flat cardboard taste creeping up behind the hops, biscuit and chocolate flavors.

I don't particularly care for this beer, although it doesn't have anything particularly wrong from a style standpoint. It's a bit filling, the hops clash with the malts, and the smell is a bit papery.

I've had 3 out of the 4-pack now, and one thing I will say for it is that it went well with Sriracha on food.

3.41/5  rDev -12.3%

best before March 22, 2013 (I think--the date is pretty smudged; I remember the date being in March of 2013 when it was legible)

A: Clear reddish brown with a thick head and good lacing.

S: Resinous, piney hops.

T: Citric, resinous hops that come across as sour. Bready malt is faint in the background. Well hidden toastiness on the finish, if I really concentrate.

M: Soft, yet a bit prickly. Too thin.

O: A far cry from the draft version I remember from the Redhook brewery.

4.31/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

You know a beer is good when you go into the bar to order something else, but decide to have one of these first, and then end up drinking three of them. At 2 in the afternoon.

Creamy white head, dark brown with ruby red hues, doesn't smell like much but very malty, coffee, smooth taste and a bit of chocolatey caramel sweetness with just the right amount of hops on the top. The standout qualities of this beer are the taste and the mouthfeel. I would have to say this beer was perfectly carbonated. Very effervescent, but not "big bubbled" like soda, it's like a brown ale with the carbonation of an Aventinus and it really brings out the taste. Combine that with the lite hoppiness and the sweetness and you have a refreshing brown ale, even in the muggy hot summer. I normally don't touch anything but wheat beers or IPAs in the summer but this is way, way worth it.

4.65/5  rDev +19.5%

Appearance: 16oz can poured into a standard pint. Colour is a rich tree-bark-brown. Head is nearly two fingers in height, is bubbly and fluffy - fades leaving a nice lacing.

Smell: Powerful malts from the moment I popped the can. Bitter hops balance things out nicely.

Taste: Roasted malts offer a strong nuttiness that makes way for a bitter and hoppy aftertaste. Very balanced and delicious in the Sixpoint fashion.

Mouthfeel: Medium body has a nice, soft and velvety texture. Moderate levels of carbonation make for a touch of bite. Finishes with a hint of stickiness.

Overall: Perfectly balanced, tastes wonderful, and is incredibly satisfying. This is one of the best brown ales I've ever had.

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brownstone pours a dark burnt caramel color with a wealthy mocha tan head and generous carbonation.
On the nose; toffee, breaded malts, burnt sugar and lively yeast are on parade.
As for the taste, this brew in wonderfully bitter with just enough sweetness to balance things out. But I mean - this is one bitter brew with heavy handed hopping!
Well constructed like all six point products I've enjoyed, this one seems like a prototype and foundation for many other varieties they brew.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

Had this on tap at Fraunce's Tavern. It pours wonderfully with a gargantuan off-white head that quickly settled down to a nice thin lace. The smell was bready but I got a lot coffee and caramel notes in there too. One of my friends was nursing it but I found it highly drinkable and tasty. I had quite a few. This is another great brew from the guys at Sixpoint.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 16oz. can into a weinhenny glass... its the only thing I have that can hold this 16oz can of deliciousness....

A- pours a deep amber brown, big white froathy head... reached 4 fingers! Nice sticky lacing to the glass

S- sweet breed, caramel malt.... earthy over all

T- sweet bready malts, caramel laced...earthy hops... woody nutty undertones

M- malty, earthy with a crisp finsih line.... cleans up very well. Nicely done

O- nicely done brown ale... maybe one of the leading in the style... six point is never a let down.... and a huge value as far as great beer in cans...

4.3/5  rDev +10.5%

Had this on cask a while back at Bobbique and just discovered my notes on it.
Cloudy dark brown with large tan head. Retention and lacing were quite good.
The aroma is mostly biscuity with caramel and slight chocolate malts.
Taste is slightly sweet with tastes of caramel and bread with a bitter finish.
A quality brown ale that I was very happy to find a cask of at Bobbique. Very drinkable. I wouldn't want to limit myself to one beer while here, but I could easily do so with this beer. Looking forward to finding it on-tap elsewhere.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Enjoyed several taps while playing pool in the back of the Brooklyn Social Club. Poured a dark copper hued brwon with a finger of off-white head. Not too much retention, but keep lacing throughout.

Biscuit and malt aroma.

Though there is some good nutty/biscuit maltiness backbone, this one leads with a smack of hops on the front end. Like choco finish with a lingering hop crispness.

Light medium mouthfeel that leads to its drinkability going up. Had 4-5 easily.

Great example of what one would define as an "american brown," being complex enough to have a great mix of both. Would love to have this one available near me.

4.49/5  rDev +15.4%

16oz draft pour on 5/28/09, this sat and warmed for 15 min before taking notes.
Semi opaque, rich brown colored brew with ruby highlights, arrived with a 1/2 finger of dirty cream colored head.

The nose on this beer JUMPS at you and easily the best I've ever smelled for the style. Equal parts coffee and dark chocolate up front, backed by a bit of cool wet earth - maybe it's must - and warming allspice. Clean, confident, supreme.

The taste is almost as impressive - starts full and chewy with a dominance of slightly bitter coffee and sweet caramel malt, which are in the right proportions to make my little beer heart melt with affection. A slight hint of chocolate emerges from the caramel, it spreads, and is now a clay like taste, dry and pleasing. It evolves again, revealing itself in the earthen, hoppy finish. Aftertaste is slightly acerbic, woody even, and adds a nice memory of complexity to the beer.

The medium mouthfeel certainly compliments the beer, a good representation of the style, I find it round and soft with its carbonation, and slightly buttery in its finish. For all of that, this beer goes down with a relaxing ease.

3.86/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Poured on tap at a bar in Williamsburg, NY. Poured into a pint glass. Pours a mahogany brown with a think white head.

S- Not a strong nose but you get some malty sweet notes. I wouldn't expect an overpowering nose on a brown ale though.

T- Nice American brown ale. I keep tasting iced tea in the American brown ales I am drinking. This isn't as overpowering as others I have had though. It actually is a very refreshing beer.

M- Nice carbonation in this brew. This is a nice medium thickness beer.

D- Very refreshing brown ale. I could definitely drink a bunch of this. I am very impressed with the Sixpoint offerings I have had.

Served from a growler filled at Bierkraft here in Brooklyn into a US pint glass.

Pours a dark mahogany/reddish-brown with scant head. The smell is very bready and biscuity, with caramel and malt notes. The flavor is similar - slightly sweet with caramel flavor, with hints of fresh bread and a smooth bitter finish. The moouthfeel is fairly light, and drinkability is high.

This is an interesting brown ale, definitely something new, at least for me. The flavor is far less sweet than many brown ales (Dogfish Head or Avery), but also has a sort of bakery quality that I don't remember having before. It seemed a bit more "British" to me than most American Brown Ales. Good overall.

Brownstone from Sixpoint Brewery