Sweet Action - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-04-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweet Action Alström Bros
Reviews: 509 | Hads: 1,930

Within a bawhair of the best beer I have ever had, no question!!! From a 330ml can this is other-worldly....the draft version must be intergalactic!!! Planetery!!! (163 characters)

Generally a very interesting beer that defies being categorized. Sweet flavor with a vey mild hop taste. As compared to to other offerings by Six Point, this rates right up there with there best. An overall excellent pilsner. (226 characters)

pulled this out of my fridge. Rough day in embalming, needed something that can be colder than a month old corpse.

Once again drank from the can itself.

It smelled hoppy, and maybe a touch of grass. But the smell wasn't too strong. This can be due to me drinking from the can.
Taste: all the pleasant taste from hops without bitterness. It starts off as sweet and creamy texture then it finish with a bold taste of piney, grassy hops.

This is a winner. I love this and its nice to have a cream ale that is not genny. (522 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

New 16oz sixpoint can poured into my sixpoint pint glass (I'm a geek like that)

Pours a light red with a thick stiff white head that doesn't stick around long

Smells strongly of hops with some tropical fruit smells peeking through

Tastes amazing, nice hop character upfront but nothing overwhelming, some slight peach and mango flavors come through with a bit of malt.

Mouthfeel is great light on the carbonation and not all that thick.

Overall great session beer one of my favorite summer beers. (501 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +24.2%

This is an exceptional and extremely session-able beer.
The beer is a dark amber color and pours a foamy two finger head. Like the name assumes this beer is slightly citrusy and sweet but has a decent thickness to the malt. There is a distinct hop profile that I can't put my finger on, it is very nicely blended and highlighted by the malt and other flavors of the beer. The mouth feel is really remarkable, it's much lighter than you would assume. I could have several of these beers in a sitting and not get bored of them. (525 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: Orange with slight red. 2 finger creamy head. lacing falls apart though and sinks back down into beer.

S: Orange, grapefruit, tangerine, sweet grass. Reminds me of prickly pear cactus for some reason. The citrus hops fade nice into a subtly sweet malty, light and slick-smelling base.

M: Smooth, velvety, creamy, medium body. Medium carbonation level and slightly dry finish.

T/O: It does indeed taste like an orange creamsicle, but it has enough hop bitterness to balance the back end. Not too sweet, not too bitter, well put together. Too sweet to be an APA. More consistent with a light EPA with higher carbonation level that makes it taste crisper. Honey rolls, caramel flavors not pronounced but qualities of both found. Creaminess from the caramel; and, floral sweetness with a bready backbone from honey rolls. I could drink these forever. (853 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +22.6%

I've been enjoying this one quite a lot lately on tap, and just had to grab a 4 pack of cans when I saw it available at my local beer store.

I rarely get excited over a beer's appearance, so it's a bit difficult to really rate it. Little head and little lacing (although I'm not sure why either would serve as a true metric of a quality.

When I first tried this brew, I was at a loss to define it's style... Hoppy like an IPA, but not quite (especially considering how acquainted I am with their Bengali Tiger IPA). Good to know that I'm drinking a cream ale - a style that I admittedly have little familiarity with, and expect that this may be an exception rather than the rule.

Sweet Acton is certainly worth a try.... (724 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%

The CANQuest (TM) has been anxiously awaiting its chance to review the new Sixpoint CANs since their release was announced. I, like Sweet Sweetback, am hoping this will be one baadasss beer in a CAN!

From the sweet CAN: "Beer is Culture"; "Ah love is bitter and sweet, but which is more sweet the bitterness or the sweetness, none has spoken it. [-Sappho] Sweet Action is an idea; a concept. It is a simple representation of what makes beer great - the marriage of barley and hops, in a harmonious balance of sweet and bitter."; "Please keep refrigerated. This ale was dry-hopped with fresh hops."

Sweet Baby Jesus! The Crack & Glug revealed a Cream Ale unlike any Cream Ale I have ever seen. This dang sure wasn't no Genny Cream, which I still have an affinity for, BTW. Two fingers of dense tawny head with great retention and a deep-orangish amber colored beer with a slight haze says either APA or BUPGOO! Sweet! Not sweet was the nose, which was grassy, minty and floral. Cream Ale just got schooled, yo! Mouthfeel was medium and there was a soft (as opposed to sharp) bitterness in the mouth. Sweet! This is as excited about a CANned beer as I have been in a while! Finish was mildly bitter, enough to sustain a hops junkie like me, but still mild enough not to drive off the uninitiated. Will this be going into my cooler? Does my main man, Sweet Sweetback, mistrust "The Man"? Yo, bring it on! (1,403 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- golden orange hue poured from the can into a pint glass with a nice head that peeked at about an inch
S- sweet smell from the malts stays in the nose as you drink
T- good balance of hops and maltiness
M- the beer is sweet at first but the aftertaste is of the how
O- overall a great beer (291 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Alright. So, being from Southern California and trying a beer like this always makes me sad. This was a nice, light beer without being too light. The color was a nice amber color, and I was expecting a heavier beer because of the color, but let me tell you, man that thing was light and easy to drink. The dry hopping really sent it over the top in the flavor department.

This is one of the beers that would be my go to if I lived on the east coast. (451 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance -- Pours a hazed amber hue with a slim sudsy white head. Better color than any other cream ale I've encountered. Win.

Smell -- Malt-driven in sum with English-tinged pale malt and cereal grain. Grassy and floral hops slowly bloom, as well as a low malt sweetness. This is surprisingly enticing!

Taste -- From the onset the dry-hopping is very apparent - not overwhelming or outside of style, but it lends a touch of grassy/floral and gentle citrus flavor. The Graininess is well in proportion: pale malt, cereal grain, delicate fruity undertones, and a low mild sweetness that is counterbalanced perfectly with the grassy hop bitterness. Lingering flavors of cereal sweetness and grassy hops, plus a tinge of clover flowers. I struggle to find a flaw in this.

Mouthfeel -- Medum-bodied, medium crisp carbonation. The body is slightly heavy for what I expect in a cream ale, but not by much. Still retains drinkability.

Overall -- This is an exceptional. Not a great lover of the style, but this is clearly exceptional. Great flavor paired with easy drinkability. Certainly more complex and less tiringly grainy than most I've had of the style. If it were made available to me, this could definitely show up in my summer cookout queue.

Additional Notes -- Upon checking the reviews I notice that this is listed as the #1 Cream Ale - I'm not surprised. (1,366 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +18.3%

Are people reviewing this as a cream ale?

A: Dark almost amber color with some honey highlights. A half finger of white head with some good lacing.

S: The first thing that pops out at you in the nose is the hops. Generously dry hopped.The sweetness from the malt is there and it is quite clean. Almost has the nose of a good lager.

T: The balance between sweetness and hops cannot be understated. Just a really well balanced beer. I have been pulling on a few of these during these warm days.

M: Creamy without feeling light. Carbonation is soft and enjoyable.

D: I like this version. For those of you that do not remember this is probably the 5th version of Sweet Action. Is has been a Belgian pale ala Sweet Reaction. Cream Ale. Pale. and a few other weird things. I like this version. One of the best cream ales out there. Might want to check the other NY cream ale up the river in Athens, NY as well. Love the cannage. (927 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +17.6%

On tap at Stag's Head in Houston. Follows a Spaten Oktoberfestbier. Was reluctant to get this, since a) being from Chicago, I'm sick of hearing how awesome Spotted Cow is, the only other cream ale I've had, and b) Stone IPA is on the menu. But giving it a shot, since Bengali, Resin, and Apollo have all been excellent. Sincerely ecstatic about this brewery arriving in Texas, since Texas has so little local stuff to offer.

A - comes in a pint class, very thin head with decent lacing. A nice orange, bronze. The color is beautiful. I would like to see this out of a can, since their other beers have great heads. This time though, a bit lacking in that category.

S - not at all what I expected, in a very good way. Citrusy goodness with some floral goodness. Basically right in my wheelhouse, just a little muted.

T - crazy good. Starts snappy and crisp, then creaminess coats the tongue as the maltiness sets in. The citrus hops just hang out in the background, not dominating, but making themselves known. As it fades a little bitterness comes in and it finishes a little tart. It's phenomenal.

M - crisp carbonation, then creaminess, then a nice drying tartness. Wasn't sweet at first, but after half a glass, it does leave a little candy aftertaste. Still quite good.

O - well, I usually don't agree with the Bros more than I do with the average, but in this case, I definitely do. This beer is amazing. And it's available year-round. Yes, please. Over and over. (1,473 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +17.6%

Off the tap from Union Square Cafe...
Color was hazy/cloudy light yellow
Head was thin, foamy and Lacy
Aroma smelled of sweet fruit with a flash of bitter hops
Taste: amazing...like a summer bouquet...peachy, with a citrus blend.
Drinkability: could drink a million of these (275 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the only cream ale I've ever tried, so I have nothing to compare it to. But this was an outstanding beer. I hear, however, that not all cream ales are created equal; that it's a style many Brewers don't do well. We will see bc I hope to compare and contrast to the Sixpoint Cream Ale. (292 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance-light mahagony with an off white head that stands tall with swiss cheese size bubble clusters that stands an inch tall in my pint glass and lasts for 2-3 minutes and then subsides to a wee wisk across the surface while leaving lady finger lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell-Rich cara malts with a pine and citra foggyness.

Taste-Strong sticky, heavy caramel malt character with a strong, smooth citrus backdrop. Very pleasing and well balanced with a beautiful taste profile for a cream ale.

Mouthfeel-Heavy but without being aggresive. For a "cream ale" I would have expected a bit lighter feel but but I really enjoyed this one.

Overall-A high quality beer. I received as an extra in a trade and now I am in search of more. I see this beer and probably all of Sixpoints beers being just as sought after as Surly! (834 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +16.3%

A very exceptional ale...

I was surprised to see this is a cream ale, but then again I haven't had many cream ales...

A - Hazy, unfiltered light amber

S - Floral-earthy tones with some citrus, caramel/candy sweetness, and vanilla creaminess...

T - Equal to the smell...a definite sweet quality but also balanced by a hint of bitterness. This is a beer I would love to have on CASK. I'm sure it would be even better.

M - Medium bodied. Mild carbonation. Creamy smooth. very nice. very easy going down.

Overall - A really great beer. Totally not my style but none the less I would love to have it around always. Great beer. A slight english quality to it...I would love to have it on Cask or Nitro...would be amazing.

Cheers! (732 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I always enjoy this beer in new ways. Today I had it with some graham crackers with peanut butter and honey (it's late and I didn't want to eat a lot before bed OR drink beer on an empty stomach), it was actually a nice pairing. There are some hints of orange marmalade in this Sweet Action that go well with the honey and graham.
I really love the mouthfeel of this beer, you can feel the bubbles on your tongue. I can smell butter in this one and brown sugar, and indeed it is a bit creamy at first, gliding to the back of the tongue and then after you swallow, a tint of hops! Glorious. And really, don't you feel like a champ carrying a little boxed four pack? Now the neighborhood drunk won't follow you when he hears the bottles clanking together in your bag. This is getting a little too personal, I'll just mention that the appearance of this beer is really quite sexy in a clean yet unfiltered kinda way, and that's what this beer is all about: balance.

edit (01-2015): Bought one of the six packs and was so excited to drink it down after the first sip proved even better than I remember it. I ended my last review highlighting the 'balance' of this beer, but I'll add that it does not lack character and I think SixPoint's beers tend to improve over time consciously which is of course quite commendable. Kudos, y'all! (1,331 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured out a few punces in a pint glass to get an idea, but I'm a firm believer in drinking from the can. It poured out a golden amber color. Plenty of foamy pale yellow head. Strong retention and lacing.

S: I was pleasantly surprised from the huge piney hop smell from this one. Behind the hops was some fruity sweetness that kind of reminded me of grape juice.

T: A subtle version of the smell with some hints of apricot.

M: Medium and creamy body with medium carbonation. Very smooth.

O: I was very impressed with this one. Sixpoint are masters at the dry hop. All of their beers that I've tried have this in common. The smell on this one was incredible, especially when I was expecting very little because of the style. On top of that, this beer had a lot more character than any other cream ale I've had. (816 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +15%

Had on tap at TPH. Pourd into a shaker pint. Ordered this beer after a friend did, because teh aroma was soo sweet! Had no idea it was a blond. Would have guessed a fresh hop or hoppy pale ale of some sort. Wonderful citrus aroma. Taste is citusy, with a candy-like finish. Good hop presence. Crisp, refreshing mouthfeel. Could be a perfect session beer. (354 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours cloudy amber orange color with a ton of sediment floating in it and a huge 2 finger foamy beige head that was thick enough to run a finger through it, leaving excellent foamy lacing sticking to the sides, forming thick foamy rings as it went down - a great looking beer, especially out of a can.

Smells of citrus hops, floral hops, grapefruit, lemon zest, grains, sweet malt, flowers and herbs; it's light and sweet and full of hoppy notes, but oh so grainy at the same time. The nose is 50/50 hops and grains and perfectly balanced.

Tastes of citrus hops, floral hops, grapefruit, orange peel, lemon zest, light pineapple, caramel, grains, sweet malt, flowers, brown sugar, grass, honey, biscuit, bread crust and herbs; it's sweet with hoppy notes, but grainy with citrus and lots of bread that has some bitterness and great balance.

Mouthfeel is creamy and oily slick, with a medium body on the chewy side, light almost watery carbonation and a slightly bitter and dry with an almost clean citrus finish; this ends leaving you with a great aftertaste and feeling.

Overall, it was great and tasty with a real nice feel and high drinkability. Grab a can and enjoy the best cream ale on the market! This is a new wave cream ale and it's a game changer. (1,265 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours a deep amber color from can to chalice... decent clarity. Has a very good yeasty aroma. Almost Belgian-like. The flavor is outstanding and is lightly hopped, predominantly yeasty and mildly bready character. Mouthfeel is perfect... just about medium with a very nice aftertaste.

I don't know how this defines as "cream ale" exactly, however this is absolutely delicious and brewed to great standards! (407 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Can poured into a pint glass.

So, after I picked up the Sehr Crisp yesterday I was so impressed that I decided to pick up Sweet Action today. Again, Sixpoint is a winner.

The layout of the box and cans is just gorgeous. Seriously, looks so classy and one of a kind. They are paying attention to detail from every angle.

Nice slow pour yielded a golden liquid with some dark brown hues. Off white two finger head with some sediment floating on top. The scent was malty and bready- taste was a perfect mix of the bitterness from the hops (not sure what kind of hops but very biscuity- fresh baked loaf of bread) and sweetness- not sure what shines through more but I guess that's the objective here. Really nice and balanced mouthfeel- easy drinking and beautiful. This is a session beer that packs a punch of flavor. This is a beer done right. I love it and I will continue to support Sixpoint. Seek this out people.... (922 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Served this 16 oz. can in a Sierra Nevada hops glass. Dated best before 09 JUL2012. Reviewed according to style. Medium golden body with a modest white head. A film and lacing remained.

The smell was grain and hard candy. Orange juice. Fresh.

The taste was lightly sour. Bready. Fresh earthy hops. Spicy. Clean and supremely balanced. No corn or filler flavors. This one is greater than the sum of it's parts. Probably the best cream ale I've ever tasted.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied with plenty of prickly, scrubbing carbonation. Glad to have Sixpoint in my region! (574 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best before June 17, 2014. So.... not super fresh.

Appearance: Hazy orange with some floaties.

Aroma: Ooh.. Sweet honey like malts, orange, apricot, sticky brown sugar, faint pine, light tropical fruits, very nice smelling beer.

Taste: Unbelievable. So refreshing but not light at all. Sweet honey, apricot, tangerine, some hop bitterness, light lemon.

Body: BIG creamy mouth feel as expected.

Overall: This has been described as a cross between a pale ale, a wheat beer and a cream ale. It's that hard to classify. But who cares anyway? It's freaking DELICIOUS. Highly Recommended. You wont be sorry. (608 characters)

Sweet Action from Sixpoint Brewery