Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Sweet Action - Sixpoint Brewery

Sweet ActionSweet Action

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-04-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweet Action Alström Bros
Reviews: 523 | Hads: 1,975
1.05/5  rDev -73.2%

I am reviewing this against a style guideline of what is considered a cream ale -- basically the malt and hop bill of a light lager that increases the use of corn and uses an ale yeast fermented at cool temps to provide clean lager-like attributes. Think Gennesee Cream Ale as a reference.

This is not a cream ale. The first thing I noticed were intense hop aromas reminiscent if pine. The only aroma you should get in a cream ale are some light fruity esters and maybe some corn. Flavor was sweet and caramelly with a big hit of pine hops. Again, not a cream ale. The color is way too dark for a cream ale.

This beer tastes like a pale ale to me that is heavy on crystal malt. Somewhat tasty, but the victim of wrong categorization. The malt is way too big for a cream ale, as is the alcohol.

2.36/5  rDev -39.8%

16 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear copper, with a couple solid looking fingers of slightly off-white head. This retains with a thin sudsy layer that skims the surface and leaving back a sticky ring of lacing. The aroma smells grassy and earthy with green citrus and sweet gains pretty much controlling this. As this warms, a real dank and earthy core to this emerges. Can’t really say that I’m overly enjoying this.

This taste is surprisingly hoppy, with a citric character here that leaves a good bit of raw and pithy feeling bitterness behind. This is filled out on the edge by malt sweetness, with a bready flush of flavor coming out strongest across the back. Hops return for the finish though with a dry and gritty bitterness that leaves an unpleasant aftertaste behind. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and crisp feeling throughout with some smoothness to this around the edges. I seem to be picking up good bit of an oily slickness as well to the body, which could speak to the amount of hops in this.

I get this beer in theory. A hopped up take on a Cream Ale. Unfortunately the hop profiles in these canned Sixpoint offerings are so inconsistent and this one displayed the same overly raw character to it that really turned me off from their Autumnation as well. I didn’t really care for this at all. This beer is much better on draft.

2.37/5  rDev -39.5%

Tallboy can poured into a Pint Glass. Best before April 2012.

A - Pours a very hazy orange with a fluffy off-white head that settles to a thick cap and leaves a sheet of lacing clinging to the glass.
S - Messy aromas of grain, some grassy hops, and Belgian-style yeast. Seriously, is this stuff supposed to be Belgian-inspired or is it just poor quality?! The Bengali Tiger I had had the same dirty Belgian yeast profile.
T - Similar to the nose, grain, pears, some grassy hops, and messy yeast. I don't get it.
M - Smooth, crisp mouthfeel, actually a very quenching brew, with a medium-thin body and good carbonation.
O - Not a fan. I don't know if I'm getting bad cans or if I'm just extremely aware of certain flavors in their beer, but no more Sixpoint for me.

2.47/5  rDev -37%

Pours a hazy bright orange colour. Not what I was expecting from a cream ale. The smell is unexpected as well. It's got a zesty citrus smell.
The taste is more of the same. Nothing I would expect from a cream ale at all. This is more like how a hefeweisen tastes. I find it very peculiar that this would be identified as a cream ale. I feel like some other category would suit it far better. It's not a bad beer, it's just not what I was looking for. This is what I would want from a summer ale on the rare occasions that I'm in the mood for one.

2.56/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark gold almost brown with a small off white head. Little lacing down the glass.

Smells of biscuit and toast. Very malt forward.

Taste follows the nose. Very malty with little hops involved. Very sweet caramel initial flavor with a touch of spice near the end.

Mouthfeel is fairly medium with good carbonation levels. Not as creamy as expected.

Too malt forward for me. I like my cream ales a lot lighter than this.

2.73/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured a deep orange/amber with a light off white head.

The smell is malty sweet and almost syrupy, a bit of corn with a touch of floral hops.

Very sweet, and i mean sweet, it tastes like it is super under attenuated. Has a ton of residual sugar and a big corn flavor. Has just a touch of hop bitterness but not nearly enough to even it out.

Has a light creamy mouthfeel.

I found this to be a tough drink, it was so cloying and completely out of balance it was a tough drink.

2.78/5  rDev -29.1%

Glad that someone finally created a separate listing for this beer, now that it is being advertised as 'Sweet Action Cream Ale' on many of the tap handles across NYC. I had this beer back in April of 2005 when it was still a +7% Belgian/German hybrid - something that I think the brewer described at a local bar as a 'German Heffewiezen and a Belgian strong ale getting together and having a bastard child" - I liked that beer a lot, and I miss it now that it's gone. The beer that was Sweet Action then and the beers that have come and gone using the same name over the almost two years since I first tried it are almost all a far cry from the Cream Ale that is touted as Sweet Action today. The beer pours a light caramel color with a frothy head. Good head retention, nice lacing (both on my glass and my moustache) and strong sweetness in the aroma. The taste is balanced, but has very little hop character at all (I understand that this is a cream ale, but slightly more bitterness would be a nice touch). The sweetness that is present on the nose falls a little flat in the taste; in fact the taste itself is a bit flat, not so much with a lack of carbonation, but just in complexity. Overall this beer is drinkable, just not as flavorful as I would like in a Cream Ale, and just because it's not a Pale Ale doesn't mean hop bitterness or bite should be so subdued. I've shared my feelings on this beer and it's many, many incarnations with friends and we all agree that these last few months have shown a consistent product for the first time in a year. Assuming then that this is the final version of this beer (and maybe it's not) I find it to be an unsuitable replacement to the original beer that bore the name Sweet Action, and a pale comparison to other more notable Craft Brewed Cream Ales. Next time I'm given the choice of a Sixpoint beer, I'll stick with the Brownstone.

2.81/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a hazy orangey amber, with a 3 finger nice thick creamy white head. Head lasted a few minutes before leaving a thin layer, with some great clinging to the sides. Aroma was a bit strange. A tad of sweetness was offset by a bit of bitterness, but ended up to be a slightly strong sweet cream aroma with an undertone I couldn't place. Flavor was equally tough to place. Seemed to me to be strongly of a rice or corn flavor, not what I would expect for something called "Sweet" or cream. Felt decent, plenty of tickle from the carbonation, and was a decent coating. Overall this didn't do it for me. Not at all impressed, really seemed to be a low end macro almost, not a highly rated craft beer.

Had a pint of this beer at NYC Beer Company in New York City. Served on tap and cool.

Pours a hazy topaz body and an off white head. Very floral smell. Drinks a nutty, bready beer. Light pine and citrus notes.

Has a medium to light mouthfeel.

Really nice sessionalble beer. I would drink this beer again. May be somewhat off of the style.

How can I describe this beer? Every beer is an experience, let's not forget that. This experience, for me, is one of liberation and relief. I cracked open a nice 45 degree can of Sixpoint Sweet Action at 12:30 AM after working for 27 hours with only an hour or two of breaks and no sleep for the last 36. The first impression I got, as it passed over my tongue, was one of peculiarity. Is this just an old IPA? No, it's too fresh for that. Could it be a poorly done barleywine? Well it's a weak one if that proves to be the case. The malt overcomes the hops almost as soon as I register the mouthfeel, a slight tingle from the carbonation with a smooth finish, but it's not so sweet as to take away the slight sour character. It very subtly blooms into an almost fruity aftertaste.

Clearly, this beer is not to be trifled with, especially in a weakened state of mind. Perhaps a fresh taste would spark new views, but with this little sleep, it's just not the refreshing jolt I was hoping to find. I'd drink it again, for sure, since I still have several left, but I'm not sure that I would offer it to my mother-in-law. All in all, solid beer with a strange character.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

It is claimed that this beer is a cream ale. I missed something then in the flavor. Came across more as a pale then a cream. Expected it to be a bit sweeter in its flavor.

16 oz. draft at a New York Rangers preseason game consumed with a cheeseburger and fries. First time trying the beer and the best I can say about it is that it's better than any American Adjunct that was available. Next time I'll opt for the Brooklyn Lager.

3.05/5  rDev -22.2%

Poured a golden-orange color, with a very thin head, and spotty lacing. Smell was decidedly sweet...orange & pineapple...with some maltiness and some grassiness. The sweetness was way too overpowering in the flavor, like over-ripe pineapple and orange, with a dry grassy/herbal finish. The flavor was mitigated somewhat by the soft, thin-bodied mouthfeel, but the sweetness was just over the top. Not much balance. Overall, it tasted like a thin-bodied double-ipa, with huge amounts of citrus and no bitter hop balance. Was very surprised to get this result, after reading all of the stellar reviews and awards. Out of respect, I'll give it a second shot.

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

This was my original review of the tap version:

I didn't know what I was getting and no one was able to tell me so i was expecting the usual local beer strong offering (double ipa, barley wine, whatever). Once I got used to what I was drinking it is a really good session beer especially if you are local to new york city and you can get it fresh. I'd say it's up there with the Captain Lawrence Pale ale or the brooklyn ipa. Get it if you can find it.

I love the new Sixpoint cans but Sweet Action is still not my favorite brew from this brewer.

3.08/5  rDev -21.4%

Off tap this beer was a cloudy amber color with one finger of off-white head that retained itself fairly well and left broken lacing. The aroma was light, mostly biscuit malt, some sweet malt and a hint of vanilla. The flavors seemed odd to me for a cream ale. I tasted an indiscernible blend of specialty grains, sweet malt, a medicinal/herbal element, hints of spices and a finish of citrusy hops. Very complex and it went from a sweet start to a dry finish as I tasted it. But the medicinal element gave it a Dayquil element (as my gf put it) and neither of us were impressed. The mouthfeel was ok, the body medium/light and the carbonation good.

3.1/5  rDev -20.9%

Many thanks to Beenitty for the chance to taste this- I have never even heard on Sixpoint brewery. Poured from can into 512 glass. Pours a cloudy bright orange color, nice thick white head fills the glass and recedes slowly. Lacing all over glass. Smell- a very unique citrus mixed with cream soda aroma. Hops present themselves in a lemon/lime citrus aroma. Taste- a medicinal flavor blasts my tongue. Hop bitterness comes in waves, but the sweetness I was expecting from the cream ale component is missing. Its watery. Something is wrong with this beer. Not good. It will be tough getting through this can.

3.12/5  rDev -20.4%

Thanks Bendurgin for sending me a can! Poured into an imperial pint glass. There is a quarter inch large head with some nice lacing. The body is hazy red orange. There isn't much head retention except for a ring around the glass.

The aroma is sweet and I can faintly detect some bubblegum along with some fruitiness. Maybe it's a bit of pear. Mostly this smells like sweet malt.

The taste starts with some sweet fruity malt. The finish isn't exactly crisp as it has the same sweetness that is present throughout, leaving a malty aftertaste.

This is medium/light in body with not quite as much carbonation as I would prefer.

This is okay. It's pretty drinkable but a little sweet (I realize it's called Sweet Action). If I was to rate to style I might bump this up a bit, but I don't do that. This is just a mediocre offering that could be good for certain occasions.

3.15/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Serving was from a can with best if by April 2013. I guess I just made it.

Appearance. - looks great orange amber and cloudy. Looks like all the beers I love.

Smell - clean and citrus

Taste - a mild IPA especially in the beginning. I should have read up on the one. I was not expecting an IPA. This beer really has nothing to do with a cream ale. IPA are so over powering so any hybrid should classified according. This reminds me of a Sword Swallower from Coney Island. Not the same flavor but some type.

Mouthfeel - carbonated for sure. Not thick but not too thin

Overall - disappointed. It is an ok IPA I guess but not what I wanted. Should have read there website. If you want a cream ale don't bother.

3.17/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured into a perfect pint.

3.0 A: Moderately hazed dark orange brown color. Two and a half fingers of beige, frothy/foamy head. Retention is average and moderate amounts of randomly dispersed clumps of lacing are left behind.

3.5 S: Bready yeastiness is probably the strongest aspect of the nose. To follow, hops of the earthy, floral, and herbal variety manifest. Mildly sweet, mildly biscuity malts round this out.

3.0 T: Solid blending of the yeast, malt, and hops, but the end result doesn't impress or discourage. Grainy malts with a moderate neutral malt sweetness. Mild bitterness with earth, herb, and flower hop flavor. Mild yeasty breadiness. Not bad, but run of the mill.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Light, pleasant creaminess.

3.0 D: Not a bad brew, but there's enough similar, yet tastier ones out there to forget about this.

3.17/5  rDev -19.1%

The final surviving can from a nice haul courtesy of AndrewNations in the SS BIF. 16 oz. aluminum cylinder, I salute you ere I consume you.

Poured into a glass that came in the same box, this is big, fluffy, yellow leaning towards orange. Runaway carbonation is readily apparent. Smell is brimstone hops mixed with grain husks & several pinches of allspice. Hop presence is startling for the claimed 34 IBUs. Hmmm.

Sweet Action is only the third cream ale I've ever had, & doesn't win me over to the style. Yawning disconnect between nose & taste, this is crawling with heavy, bready malts. Very grainy, soft herbal hops, tangerine. There's an oddness lurking in the aftertaste that isn't welcome, & I can't quite pinpoint it. Musty, with a side of margarine. Not terrible, but certainly knocks the taste a bit & ruins the cleanliness of the initial flavors. I love big cans, but 12 oz. of this would have been plenty.

The slight off-taste really brings this one down. I love a good session ale (whatever the ABV), but if they're not perfect, they can rapidly become suspect. This one is close, but the aftertaste really corrupts a good experience. Not bad, not good, decent enough.

3.18/5  rDev -18.9%

on tap at tattooed moms in philly

Pours a clear golden orange with a thick crop of white head. Plenty of cloudy film and spotty lacing on the glass.

Scents of toasted malts with creamy caramel. Slightly sweet and hoppy at the same time.

Bitter up front with floral hops, followed by a sweet malt base. Faint milky malts with soft sweetness and citrus tones. Bready malt with light vanilla. Finishes crisp and clear with a faint note of hops.

Medium body, decent carbonation, faint lingering feel with sticky malts. I don't really enjoy cream ales but this is still a drinkable offering from Sixpoint (who have so much better to give).

3.21/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

11/09/11 Second taste on tap. Not your grandfather's cream ale. Nothing too exotic, mind, but adventurous. Texture's right but taste is more assertive. Hoppier than a Genesee, my guidepost in this genre. Likeable, but heavy...bready on the belly.

2012 - At Rattle n Hum, NYC. OK. A bit on the heavy side for my taste. Balanced flavor and bitterness, leaning a notch to the sweet side.

3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

A: amber/gold with tiny bubbles floating upwards towards the surface. A thin layer of white froth forms below the head after its recession. Sticky white lace.

S: a pleasant blend of hoppy/floral notes and smooth malts.

T: malty, and hoppy; mildly bitter and a touch watery at the end. Everything is nicely blended and well balanced, but it lacks that deliciousness to make me crave every drop of this brew. Pretty sure it's a style limitation.

M: medium-bodied, perfectly carbonated.

O: well-balanced, smooth, clearly crafted by people in-the-know. But I'm not in love with the style.

3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

16oz can into a pint. Best by 02 June 2012.

Golden-orange body with a nice smooth off-white head with good retention. Good lacing.

Aroma is pleasant. More hoppy than I thought it would be, although the can does say it was dryhopped. Reminds me of an American Pale Ale, but with some sweet overtones.

Flavor isn't very pleasant, and the negatives come out as it warms even a little. Iron. Bitter from the hops but without much hop flavor, not as sweet as expected.

Smooth and creamy, just as it should be, but not exceptional. Carbonation is just right.

I'd take a Genesee or Spotted Cow over Sweet Action. Maybe even Little Kings. I think making this one as cold as the Rockies might actually be helpful.

3.23/5  rDev -17.6%

Have tried this exactly 3 times before tonight. First time I loved this beer right out of the can. 2nd time at a bar, I thought the beer lines were dirty as the beer came to me tasting sour. 3rd time was the same day as the 2nd - out of the can, I again thought this beer tasted cloudy - even checked the best by date which was March 2, 2013.

Anyway, I tried this one for the 4th time after pouring into your standard pint glass.

A: Nice rocky head. Has tons of small particle size whatevers which clouds up the golden yellow.

S: I hate giving craft cans shit, but I do get what I perceive to be a slight hint of metallic. Immediately after poured, I get aromas of vanilla, light malts, maybe some orange, and still a slight tinge of sourness. Does have a doughy smell to it - I'm wondering if this beer can be easily mishandled or if Philly got a bad batch or something.

T: Nice little malt kick upfront with mostly pale malts, but then that strange sour taste seems to come into play. This beer's expiration, or best by, was also 3/2/13, so I don't know what's up.

M: Feels about medium with enough residual sugars to make it so-so full. Seems even with bitterness & sweetness in check with one another.

O: This one is an enigma to me only because I either had a string of bad beers, my palette is completely off, or I'm just not digging this. I'll definitely give this one another shot as I seem to like all other Sixpoing beers. Until then, this one is kinda middle of the road for me.

Sweet Action from Sixpoint Brewery