Sweet Action - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-04-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweet Action Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,857 | Reviews: 513

The worse thing I've ever tasted. Worse than lambic!!!!

1.05/5  rDev -73.1%

I am reviewing this against a style guideline of what is considered a cream ale -- basically the malt and hop bill of a light lager that increases the use of corn and uses an ale yeast fermented at cool temps to provide clean lager-like attributes. Think Gennesee Cream Ale as a reference.

This is not a cream ale. The first thing I noticed were intense hop aromas reminiscent if pine. The only aroma you should get in a cream ale are some light fruity esters and maybe some corn. Flavor was sweet and caramelly with a big hit of pine hops. Again, not a cream ale. The color is way too dark for a cream ale.

This beer tastes like a pale ale to me that is heavy on crystal malt. Somewhat tasty, but the victim of wrong categorization. The malt is way too big for a cream ale, as is the alcohol.

1.67/5  rDev -57.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Unique taste but not for me

2.36/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Tall skinny 12 oz can into a pint glass. Not a huge fan of this one, not something I'd purchase again. I typically enjoy most Sixpoint stuff, I was disappointed in Sweet Action.

2.36/5  rDev -39.5%

16 oz can into a pint glass.

Pours a crystal clear copper, with a couple solid looking fingers of slightly off-white head. This retains with a thin sudsy layer that skims the surface and leaving back a sticky ring of lacing. The aroma smells grassy and earthy with green citrus and sweet gains pretty much controlling this. As this warms, a real dank and earthy core to this emerges. Can’t really say that I’m overly enjoying this.

This taste is surprisingly hoppy, with a citric character here that leaves a good bit of raw and pithy feeling bitterness behind. This is filled out on the edge by malt sweetness, with a bready flush of flavor coming out strongest across the back. Hops return for the finish though with a dry and gritty bitterness that leaves an unpleasant aftertaste behind. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and crisp feeling throughout with some smoothness to this around the edges. I seem to be picking up good bit of an oily slickness as well to the body, which could speak to the amount of hops in this.

I get this beer in theory. A hopped up take on a Cream Ale. Unfortunately the hop profiles in these canned Sixpoint offerings are so inconsistent and this one displayed the same overly raw character to it that really turned me off from their Autumnation as well. I didn’t really care for this at all. This beer is much better on draft.

2.37/5  rDev -39.2%

Tallboy can poured into a Pint Glass. Best before April 2012.

A - Pours a very hazy orange with a fluffy off-white head that settles to a thick cap and leaves a sheet of lacing clinging to the glass.
S - Messy aromas of grain, some grassy hops, and Belgian-style yeast. Seriously, is this stuff supposed to be Belgian-inspired or is it just poor quality?! The Bengali Tiger I had had the same dirty Belgian yeast profile.
T - Similar to the nose, grain, pears, some grassy hops, and messy yeast. I don't get it.
M - Smooth, crisp mouthfeel, actually a very quenching brew, with a medium-thin body and good carbonation.
O - Not a fan. I don't know if I'm getting bad cans or if I'm just extremely aware of certain flavors in their beer, but no more Sixpoint for me.

2.47/5  rDev -36.7%

Pours a hazy bright orange colour. Not what I was expecting from a cream ale. The smell is unexpected as well. It's got a zesty citrus smell.
The taste is more of the same. Nothing I would expect from a cream ale at all. This is more like how a hefeweisen tastes. I find it very peculiar that this would be identified as a cream ale. I feel like some other category would suit it far better. It's not a bad beer, it's just not what I was looking for. This is what I would want from a summer ale on the rare occasions that I'm in the mood for one.

2.56/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark gold almost brown with a small off white head. Little lacing down the glass.

Smells of biscuit and toast. Very malt forward.

Taste follows the nose. Very malty with little hops involved. Very sweet caramel initial flavor with a touch of spice near the end.

Mouthfeel is fairly medium with good carbonation levels. Not as creamy as expected.

Too malt forward for me. I like my cream ales a lot lighter than this.

2.66/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Scent of caramel, pine, light sugar and floral hops. Weak bread, caramel, and a bit of cardboard in the flavor.

2.73/5  rDev -30%

Poured a deep orange/amber with a light off white head.

The smell is malty sweet and almost syrupy, a bit of corn with a touch of floral hops.

Very sweet, and i mean sweet, it tastes like it is super under attenuated. Has a ton of residual sugar and a big corn flavor. Has just a touch of hop bitterness but not nearly enough to even it out.

Has a light creamy mouthfeel.

I found this to be a tough drink, it was so cloying and completely out of balance it was a tough drink.

2.76/5  rDev -29.2%

Cloudy as hell orange body with a thick white head. Rather odd looking, almost an aged double IPA that's starting to separate without the density.

The nose is much the same, and old IPA that's past its prime, very citrus orange but just seems old.

The flavor brings this all back, very citrus orange/tangerine like with thick heavy malt. This one is saved in part because of the sub 6% abv making it light and weaker so these flavors are interesting vs over powering and well bad like a year old Dreadnaught is.

I won't go back to this, but it is certainly something different. glad I had it and I think i enjoyed it a lot more than this review indicates, but really one was PLENTY.

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

Glad that someone finally created a separate listing for this beer, now that it is being advertised as 'Sweet Action Cream Ale' on many of the tap handles across NYC. I had this beer back in April of 2005 when it was still a +7% Belgian/German hybrid - something that I think the brewer described at a local bar as a 'German Heffewiezen and a Belgian strong ale getting together and having a bastard child" - I liked that beer a lot, and I miss it now that it's gone. The beer that was Sweet Action then and the beers that have come and gone using the same name over the almost two years since I first tried it are almost all a far cry from the Cream Ale that is touted as Sweet Action today. The beer pours a light caramel color with a frothy head. Good head retention, nice lacing (both on my glass and my moustache) and strong sweetness in the aroma. The taste is balanced, but has very little hop character at all (I understand that this is a cream ale, but slightly more bitterness would be a nice touch). The sweetness that is present on the nose falls a little flat in the taste; in fact the taste itself is a bit flat, not so much with a lack of carbonation, but just in complexity. Overall this beer is drinkable, just not as flavorful as I would like in a Cream Ale, and just because it's not a Pale Ale doesn't mean hop bitterness or bite should be so subdued. I've shared my feelings on this beer and it's many, many incarnations with friends and we all agree that these last few months have shown a consistent product for the first time in a year. Assuming then that this is the final version of this beer (and maybe it's not) I find it to be an unsuitable replacement to the original beer that bore the name Sweet Action, and a pale comparison to other more notable Craft Brewed Cream Ales. Next time I'm given the choice of a Sixpoint beer, I'll stick with the Brownstone.

2.79/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy amber, on the orange side. Not much foam, very little lacing, but average carbonation in the mouth. Some beery aroma with a little hop floweriness, like a Pale Ale.

The flavor is kind of a murky stew. Something like oatmeal with a touch of raw grain covers the malt. Some malty sweetness, but quite bitter. More like a diluted IPA. This tastes more like some of my old homebrew experiments with hop bits floating in the trash can and a mysterious lack of head. Dishwatery, vegetable broth flavors with a hint of resins.

Maybe there is a place for this in the giant stadium of beers, but it misses all the bases for me. In the tall can from Food and Friends in Philadelphia.

2.8/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

You know what's better than craft beer in a can? Nothing, that's what. Poured into a Sam Smith pint glass.

A: Pours a light golden color with a two-finger soapy white head with good retention and lacing. The body itself looks a bit yeasty.

S: The smell features some almost weizen-esque esters (banana, cloves, allspice), along side a noble aspect.

T/M: Honestly, the flavor is a bit lacking. What's there isn't bad...there just isn't much there in the first place. There's a very subtle sweetness on the open, while the finish is purely bready, with the murky, earthy notes hindering its refreshment. Apparently, I know next to jack shit about cream ales, other than the fact that they're basically pale lagers with more ester-y goodness (whatever the blue hell that means), and that this doesn't seem to be a traditional cream ale. Still, I'd gladly trade some of the fruity notes on the open for a crisper finish. It's a little too rough and chalky on the tongue, but it's well carbonated.

O: This is a beer that doesn't know what it wants to be. Is it a weak pale ale or a muddy pilsener? Maybe I should chalk it up to me not 'getting' this style of beer. Probably won't revisit this in the future.

2.81/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a hazy orangey amber, with a 3 finger nice thick creamy white head. Head lasted a few minutes before leaving a thin layer, with some great clinging to the sides. Aroma was a bit strange. A tad of sweetness was offset by a bit of bitterness, but ended up to be a slightly strong sweet cream aroma with an undertone I couldn't place. Flavor was equally tough to place. Seemed to me to be strongly of a rice or corn flavor, not what I would expect for something called "Sweet" or cream. Felt decent, plenty of tickle from the carbonation, and was a decent coating. Overall this didn't do it for me. Not at all impressed, really seemed to be a low end macro almost, not a highly rated craft beer.

2.96/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Was easy to drink, went down pretty quick without a rush. Over all wasn't disappointed just not my thing.

Had a pint of this beer at NYC Beer Company in New York City. Served on tap and cool.

Pours a hazy topaz body and an off white head. Very floral smell. Drinks a nutty, bready beer. Light pine and citrus notes.

Has a medium to light mouthfeel.

Really nice sessionalble beer. I would drink this beer again. May be somewhat off of the style.

How can I describe this beer? Every beer is an experience, let's not forget that. This experience, for me, is one of liberation and relief. I cracked open a nice 45 degree can of Sixpoint Sweet Action at 12:30 AM after working for 27 hours with only an hour or two of breaks and no sleep for the last 36. The first impression I got, as it passed over my tongue, was one of peculiarity. Is this just an old IPA? No, it's too fresh for that. Could it be a poorly done barleywine? Well it's a weak one if that proves to be the case. The malt overcomes the hops almost as soon as I register the mouthfeel, a slight tingle from the carbonation with a smooth finish, but it's not so sweet as to take away the slight sour character. It very subtly blooms into an almost fruity aftertaste.

Clearly, this beer is not to be trifled with, especially in a weakened state of mind. Perhaps a fresh taste would spark new views, but with this little sleep, it's just not the refreshing jolt I was hoping to find. I'd drink it again, for sure, since I still have several left, but I'm not sure that I would offer it to my mother-in-law. All in all, solid beer with a strange character.

Not terrible, but a confusing style that just isn't for me.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

It is claimed that this beer is a cream ale. I missed something then in the flavor. Came across more as a pale then a cream. Expected it to be a bit sweeter in its flavor.

3.02/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Watery-not a cream ale in my opinion. Not terrible but nothing I would have again.

3.05/5  rDev -21.8%

Poured a golden-orange color, with a very thin head, and spotty lacing. Smell was decidedly sweet...orange & pineapple...with some maltiness and some grassiness. The sweetness was way too overpowering in the flavor, like over-ripe pineapple and orange, with a dry grassy/herbal finish. The flavor was mitigated somewhat by the soft, thin-bodied mouthfeel, but the sweetness was just over the top. Not much balance. Overall, it tasted like a thin-bodied double-ipa, with huge amounts of citrus and no bitter hop balance. Was very surprised to get this result, after reading all of the stellar reviews and awards. Out of respect, I'll give it a second shot.

3.08/5  rDev -21%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

sooty brown bloodpiss. Run of the mill puke and ash. Hhcccckkkk PTEH!!!

3.08/5  rDev -21%

This was my original review of the tap version:

I didn't know what I was getting and no one was able to tell me so i was expecting the usual local beer strong offering (double ipa, barley wine, whatever). Once I got used to what I was drinking it is a really good session beer especially if you are local to new york city and you can get it fresh. I'd say it's up there with the Captain Lawrence Pale ale or the brooklyn ipa. Get it if you can find it.

---

I love the new Sixpoint cans but Sweet Action is still not my favorite brew from this brewer.

3.08/5  rDev -21%

Off tap this beer was a cloudy amber color with one finger of off-white head that retained itself fairly well and left broken lacing. The aroma was light, mostly biscuit malt, some sweet malt and a hint of vanilla. The flavors seemed odd to me for a cream ale. I tasted an indiscernible blend of specialty grains, sweet malt, a medicinal/herbal element, hints of spices and a finish of citrusy hops. Very complex and it went from a sweet start to a dry finish as I tasted it. But the medicinal element gave it a Dayquil element (as my gf put it) and neither of us were impressed. The mouthfeel was ok, the body medium/light and the carbonation good.

Sweet Action from Sixpoint Brewery