Sweet Action - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-04-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweet Action Alström Bros

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Poured from a 16 oz can into CBS snifter.

A) Burnt umber in color with a finger of head that doesn't stick around too long, but leaves a nice collar around the snifter. The lacing is really quite nice.

S) A good dose of malty sweetness on the nose. A bready, buttery, almost butterscotch aroma. Then I get some fruit. A bit of apple I think.

T) Nice sweetness upfront, again I pick up some fruit, a little apple, perhaps pear. Earthy flavors follow with hop bitterness. I see it's a cream ale, but this had some farmhouse to it.

M) Really a pretty light body, with a moderate amount of carbonation. A bit of a dry finish. Grass and hop bitterness on the aftertaste.

O) Nice beer... Sweet Action is a good name, and a fair description of the beer. I won't have a problem finishing off the rest of the four pack I purchased. Give this one a shot.

3.25/5  rDev -16.9%

4.26/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Being a malt guy I'm probably not the right person to review this beer. I think a hop head would love this. High IBU's nicely balanced by a firm sweet backbone, what's not to like, right?

Only problem is I don't quite get the malt backbone that everyone else does. There's a sweetness in the aroma. But in the mouth, all I get are hops. I can intellectualize that the backbone is there; otherwise, I wouldn't enjoy this at all, and I do enjoy it. I just wish I could pick the sweetness out of the background, the way I can with Ballistic and Hopslam.

Update, 6/13/12
After having three of these, now, I must raise my score (from 4.05). It's pretty incredible, the complexity of this beer, the night vs. day, hop bitterness vs. malt sweetness. It just took a few for me to learn its sharps and flats.

Highly recommended.

3.48/5  rDev -11%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz can in wine glass (hotel room in Gettysburg)
best by Nov 2012

note: I try to review according to style

A: Dark copper color with a very thin white head, a lot darker than I expected.
S: Sweet graininess, no sign of hops
T: A little sweet with an odd sharpness that seems to be hop driven, but there is no hop flavor. A definite grainy/huskiness with what might be some corn.
M: Crisp, yet round at the same time. Lots of carbonation. Somewhat mouthcoating.
D: Goes down very easy, nice on a summer's day, but at the same time, I am not loving it. I think the hop bitterness is a little too sharp for the style, i.e. I was hoping my wife would like this and she thinks it is too hoppy, very weird for a cream ale. All in all, definitely worth trying.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

A-golden orange color with an off-white head and good lacing

S-fruity with some herbal notes and bitter hops

T-fruit and and malt flavors with some floral notes and decent hoppy finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, smooth feel

O-delicious cream ale, the best of this type that I have had, a pleasure to drink multiples

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Pours a crystal clear dark golden orange to copper in color. The beer has a two finger tall dense and cloudy light beige head which reduces by about 20% but gets even denser. Significant lacing is observed.

S: There are aromas of sweet and pale malts with hints of light fruits (mostly pear). There is a very light presence of citrus hops.

T: Mildly sweet from the sweet and pale malts with some definite light fruit (pear) presence as well. There is a very light presence of citrus hop flavors and some very light bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Creamy and smooth.

O: This beer is really smooth + creamy and extremely easy to drink. I enjoy and have enjoyed this beer quite a bit over the last couple of years. Definitely a beer that you could drink throughout a session.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

3.48/5  rDev -11%

16oz can poured into a milkshake pilsner glass. Best by 07 Aug 2012.

Appearance: Hazy translucent amber gold with the thinnest of off-white foam across the top. Some tiny bits of lacing here and there. Nice color.

Smell: Barest hint of citrus with some peaches thrown in. I had to let the beer warm up to just north of room temp to smell this - quite mild in aroma, but when it comes out it is a nice smell.

Taste: As the beer says on the can, bitterness and sweetness balanced, but unfortunately, rather than a balance it becomes a cancellation of flavor. Remarkably flavorless for a beer....there is flavor, don't get me wrong, but it's so merged together that you can't pull anything out. The flavor is a blended/muddled malt + citrus hop. As the beer warms up to room temperature the flavors finally began to separate a bit, but even then, not greatly so. The hops were most noticable as the beer warmed up, mild citrus + pine.

Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel overall. Not watery, not airy, not fizzy, just truly light, which I think is what you want in a cream ale. I cannot say the mouthfeel was creamy in any way, but I will give it points for being light. You knew it was there, but not oppressively or stickily so.

Overall / Drinkability: I'm glad I only bought one - I was expecting more flavor and would be sorely disappointed if I had to finish off a 4 pack of these. Balance is good, but it's too much balance here. While I can say I easily finished the beer, I have no desire to reach for another. Oh well, not every beer can be great.

Sweet Action from Sixpoint Brewery