Sweet Action - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-04-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,742 | Reviews: 486
3.53/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: This poured a hazy gold with moderate off-white head.
S: It smelled like light orange citrus hops and honey malt, with some bready yeast.
T: It tasted like light orange and citrus and bitter herbal hops, with some sweet honey malt and bready yeast. It had a somewhat clean bitter aftertaste.
M: It was thin with moderate carbonation. Weak body.
D: This was not anything special. Maybe I just don't like cream ales, but the scent and taste were basic and not very appealing. The body was too light, and the finish wasn't smooth (considering how bland it was otherwise). Not recommended.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

3.95/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured from a 16 oz can into CBS snifter.

A) Burnt umber in color with a finger of head that doesn't stick around too long, but leaves a nice collar around the snifter. The lacing is really quite nice.

S) A good dose of malty sweetness on the nose. A bready, buttery, almost butterscotch aroma. Then I get some fruit. A bit of apple I think.

T) Nice sweetness upfront, again I pick up some fruit, a little apple, perhaps pear. Earthy flavors follow with hop bitterness. I see it's a cream ale, but this had some farmhouse to it.

M) Really a pretty light body, with a moderate amount of carbonation. A bit of a dry finish. Grass and hop bitterness on the aftertaste.

O) Nice beer... Sweet Action is a good name, and a fair description of the beer. I won't have a problem finishing off the rest of the four pack I purchased. Give this one a shot.

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I don't quite get the malt backbone that everyone else does. There's a sweetness in the aroma. But in the mouth, all I get are hops. I can intellectualize that the backbone is there; otherwise, I wouldn't enjoy this at all, and I do enjoy it. I just wish I could pick the sweetness out of the background, the way I can with Ballistic and Hopslam.

Update, 6/13/12
After having three of these, now, I must raise my score (from 4.05). It's pretty incredible, the complexity of this beer, the night vs. day, hop bitterness vs. malt sweetness. It just took a few for me to learn its sharps and flats.

Highly recommended.

3.47/5  rDev -11%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

16oz can in wine glass (hotel room in Gettysburg)
best by Nov 2012

note: I try to review according to style

A: Dark copper color with a very thin white head, a lot darker than I expected.
S: Sweet graininess, no sign of hops
T: A little sweet with an odd sharpness that seems to be hop driven, but there is no hop flavor. A definite grainy/huskiness with what might be some corn.
M: Crisp, yet round at the same time. Lots of carbonation. Somewhat mouthcoating.
D: Goes down very easy, nice on a summer's day, but at the same time, I am not loving it. I think the hop bitterness is a little too sharp for the style, i.e. I was hoping my wife would like this and she thinks it is too hoppy, very weird for a cream ale. All in all, definitely worth trying.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

4.25/5  rDev +9%

A-golden orange color with an off-white head and good lacing

S-fruity with some herbal notes and bitter hops

T-fruit and and malt flavors with some floral notes and decent hoppy finish

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, smooth feel

O-delicious cream ale, the best of this type that I have had, a pleasure to drink multiples

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

4.25/5  rDev +9%

A: Pours a crystal clear dark golden orange to copper in color. The beer has a two finger tall dense and cloudy light beige head which reduces by about 20% but gets even denser. Significant lacing is observed.

S: There are aromas of sweet and pale malts with hints of light fruits (mostly pear). There is a very light presence of citrus hops.

T: Mildly sweet from the sweet and pale malts with some definite light fruit (pear) presence as well. There is a very light presence of citrus hop flavors and some very light bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Creamy and smooth.

O: This beer is really smooth + creamy and extremely easy to drink. I enjoy and have enjoyed this beer quite a bit over the last couple of years. Definitely a beer that you could drink throughout a session.

3.75/5  rDev -3.8%

3.48/5  rDev -10.8%

16oz can poured into a milkshake pilsner glass. Best by 07 Aug 2012.

Appearance: Hazy translucent amber gold with the thinnest of off-white foam across the top. Some tiny bits of lacing here and there. Nice color.

Smell: Barest hint of citrus with some peaches thrown in. I had to let the beer warm up to just north of room temp to smell this - quite mild in aroma, but when it comes out it is a nice smell.

Taste: As the beer says on the can, bitterness and sweetness balanced, but unfortunately, rather than a balance it becomes a cancellation of flavor. Remarkably flavorless for a beer....there is flavor, don't get me wrong, but it's so merged together that you can't pull anything out. The flavor is a blended/muddled malt + citrus hop. As the beer warms up to room temperature the flavors finally began to separate a bit, but even then, not greatly so. The hops were most noticable as the beer warmed up, mild citrus + pine.

Mouthfeel: Light mouthfeel overall. Not watery, not airy, not fizzy, just truly light, which I think is what you want in a cream ale. I cannot say the mouthfeel was creamy in any way, but I will give it points for being light. You knew it was there, but not oppressively or stickily so.

Overall / Drinkability: I'm glad I only bought one - I was expecting more flavor and would be sorely disappointed if I had to finish off a 4 pack of these. Balance is good, but it's too much balance here. While I can say I easily finished the beer, I have no desire to reach for another. Oh well, not every beer can be great.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Sweet Action from Sixpoint Brewery