Microbrew Invitational

Added by Sixpoint on 03-04-2005

Reviews: 554 | Ratings: 2,139
4.11/5  rDev +4.6%

8/19/2015

I had the opportunity to try this beer again, I'm told the recipe has been reworked a bit. Resinous, earthy, light oniony hop nose with plenty of toasted bready maltiness to back it up. Firm earthy resinous spicy hop flavor with the same maltiness to back it up nicely. I'm not sure why both sites have this listed as a Cream ale, its more of a APA than anything, and its a damn fine beer if you get into the right frame of mind for it . I'm glad I revisited this! My rating reflects this session.

9/17/2011
Pours a slightly cloudy deep reddish amber color with a smallish fluffy white head that slowly dissipates to a cap. Smells of earthy herbal hops and biscuit bready malt. Hints of lemony dish soap turned me off a bit. Taste is malty but not a sweet as I had expected from a cream ale. Lots of bitter earthy hops keep this less balanced than the side of the can would lead you to believe. Medium body and carbonation level, slick almost sticky mouthfeel. This one grew on me as I drank it and as it warmed, but I really don’t see the attraction here. Its not really a cream ale, but its a pretty good drinker.

3.18/5  rDev -19.1%

on tap at tattooed moms in philly

Pours a clear golden orange with a thick crop of white head. Plenty of cloudy film and spotty lacing on the glass.

Scents of toasted malts with creamy caramel. Slightly sweet and hoppy at the same time.

Bitter up front with floral hops, followed by a sweet malt base. Faint milky malts with soft sweetness and citrus tones. Bready malt with light vanilla. Finishes crisp and clear with a faint note of hops.

Medium body, decent carbonation, faint lingering feel with sticky malts. I don't really enjoy cream ales but this is still a drinkable offering from Sixpoint (who have so much better to give).

4.28/5  rDev +8.9%

a: golden and cloudy. I would expect this more out of an oak aged ale. some head but I didn't pour too vigorously.

s: fruity with some sweet light malty notes. pear and honey notes as well.

t: bready malt flavor. minimal fruit notes, but it has a bit of sweetness to it.

m: a good amount of carbonation, any more/less and the beer would suffer. finishes dry.

o: I really like this beer and even better that it comes in pint cans! It is a great, refreshing beer with a lot of flavor from what I thought was a simple style.

3.12/5  rDev -20.6%

Thanks Bendurgin for sending me a can! Poured into an imperial pint glass. There is a quarter inch large head with some nice lacing. The body is hazy red orange. There isn't much head retention except for a ring around the glass.

The aroma is sweet and I can faintly detect some bubblegum along with some fruitiness. Maybe it's a bit of pear. Mostly this smells like sweet malt.

The taste starts with some sweet fruity malt. The finish isn't exactly crisp as it has the same sweetness that is present throughout, leaving a malty aftertaste.

This is medium/light in body with not quite as much carbonation as I would prefer.

This is okay. It's pretty drinkable but a little sweet (I realize it's called Sweet Action). If I was to rate to style I might bump this up a bit, but I don't do that. This is just a mediocre offering that could be good for certain occasions.

4.04/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a somewhat orange amber color with a thing layer of head that settles quickly.

Pretty hoppy on the aroma; grassy with a little bit of citrus with some lemon and a deep malt body. Seems to have a faint adjunct aroma here. The malt come through a little more on the pallet than the aroma would lead, letting the hops take a backseat. Caramel malts on the pallet with a very faint bitter finish.

The feel is light and the carbonation is medium. A solid offering here, really glad to see these guys a little more local.

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

16 oz can, poured into a pint glass.

When I think of beer in a can, I tend to think of NASCAR beers. Improvements in technology, however, have made the taste of craft beers in cans much better than in the good old days. That said, here we go...

A: Very nice. Dark golden amber in color, with a 1 cm head that lasts a minute, if that.

S: It smells like I hoped it would. It has a good hoppy aroma, and there's also the sweet smell of caramel from the malt. Looking forward to the tasting.

T: Not what I expected it to taste like. I'm hit immediately by pepper. What follows is the hoppiness I was expecting, and it's somewhat creamy, not as creamy as I would be led to believe by something called a cream ale. That said, I like it.

M: I was telling my mentor that there's something off about this. I can't put my finger on it, but my palate is telling me that this ain't quite right.

O: It's alright, not what I would expect from a cream ale. Still good, though. Cheers.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

From 16oz tallboy can to nonic pint glass on 8/23/11
*From notes

A: This is easily the darkest damn Cream Ale I've ever seen. It seems lightly filtered, yet it appears healthy as hell. A good pour yields a two finger head and killer lacing.

S: The bouquet here just destroys every other beer within the category. Floral hops and a creamy pale malt add a complexity not typically found in an easy drinking ale like this.

T: Pretty damn hoppy, all things considered. It's slightly bitter, but the hops really come through in an impressive floral essence. The malt backbone is creamy and rich, yet refreshing and insanely quaffable.

M: Killin' it. Thick, rich and on point.

O: What more can I say about Sixpoint's Sweet Action? The bottom line: this is hands down the best Cream Ale in America.

Period.

3.61/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I think this might be my second cream ale ever, so here goes. 16oz. can served in a tumbler. Pours a beautiful honey-orange hue with a semi-hazy clarity, and a rocky, 1.5 inch cream-colored head. Head eventually recedes into an 1/8th inch skim with some residual spots of lacing present during the tasting. Not much to the nose - a little grassy with perhaps a kiss of hops. I also get a slightly herbal quality. Taste expresses cereal malts, a light earthy bitterness and a hint of citrus. Mouthfeel is light-medium; however closer to light. Carbonation is lively and evenly distributed from beginning to end. There is also a slight acidity that kisses the salivary glands. As I'm not overly familiar with the style, I'll start with the obvious. This is an easy drinking, simple beer that would be welcome at a barbecue. It has some pilsner-esque qualities with a little something else happening at the same time. That said, I would more likely gravitate towards an APA than a Cream Ale; however, a very respectable beer nonetheless.

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Best by - 9/20/2011

Pour produced a hazy orange brew topped by more than 2 fingers of chunky head. Terrific retention, with the head never disappearing and lacing all the way down.

Smell is citrus hops, with very light malt. Hops clearly dominate. Hops smell almost sweet.

Taste is citrus hops, with light caramel malts and what seems like Belgian yeast spices. Delicious. Not bitter, but not malty either. Balanced and appealing. Hops first, malt second, yest third.

Mouthfeel is fairly thin, with a dry finish leaving the sense of yeast spice. Dry finish.

Overall, this is very, very good. I have already sought out this brew time and time again. It is a unique mix of citrus hops, sweet malt and some yeast character, all without excessive alcohol which makes this beer very sessionable.

Great stuff.

16oz Can

Appearance - Hazy yellow/amber colour with a large size frothy off-white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some really good lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops, citrus

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel and a fair amount of hops. Although the cream ale sweetness is there, this almost seems more like a pale ale.. It finishes with a sugary sweet citrus and hop aftertaste.

Overall - I've been impressed with all of the sixpoint beers I've tried so far. I find they all kind of have a similar taste. Looking forward to trying more of their products.

3.6/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

16oz can at fridge temp poured into an SA perfect pint glass. best before 21OCT11.

pours out a cloudy deep golden/ light amber color with a nice thick, bubbly white head. eventually faded to a thin patchy layer. not much lace.

slightly pungent aromas of yeast phenols and herbal citric hops. a slight lager like grain just noticable.

wow, not really what i expected. kind of like 3 beer styles in one. mineral water, almost a lager like yeast, but also some almost belgian like yeast phenols. sweet grains, a snappy leafy, citric hop. slightly muddy finish that i wasnt too crazy about, something ive found in some homebrews.

light bodied and a light feeling beer. snappy carbonation. fairly dry.

overall, an interesting beer. definatly one of the better cream ales ive had, but its a style im not crazy about. not something i would buy again, but i like what sixpoint did with it, and its atleast worth a try.

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy light amber color with over two fingers of fluffy off white head. Nice head retention and some lacing.

Smell: Bready malt with citrus and herb hop bitterness. Not too strong.

Taste: Very light and refreshing. A bit on the hoppy side for the style, but I'm loving it. Some malt with a light citrus peel hop bitterness. The finish is a bit bitter.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with carbonation on the high side and a slightly dry finish.

Overall: This is a great beer. Nice and refreshing and perfectly hopped. I'm a bit fan.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a pounder can with a bright amber orange slightly hazed body with a large light khaki head forming thick and rising well above the rim of my glass. Lacing is well banded and even down the sides of my chalice. Aroma has more great smelling cereal grains with a bit of orange peel and marmalade sweetness in the background. It's like hanging out in the grain room it really gives the experience of mashing in freshly cracked malts. Flavor wise it's interesting I was expecting something one dimensionally sweet, because of the cream ale style and the name Sweet Action. However this beer is all about the balance between the malts and hops and even more so in this case it's got a nice solid lingering citrus hop bitterness with each sip. Each sip has a nice malty diverse flavor not just sweet, but a blend of diferent flavors hit the palate. It's actually quite dry even semi spicy with a dry yeast nuttiness going on, it's hard to pick out the hops used here not typical alpha acid hops used in most micros today something earthier. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with an even nice flowing carbonation really nothing harsh about it and like I said the dry finish only helps the drinkability. Overall a quality beer out of Brooklyn NYC, I'm glad I got the chance to try it.

4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to mjtiernan for sending me this one!

Pours a hazy orange with a 2 inch puffy white head that fades to a foamy, craggy cap. A very nice latticework of lacing forms on the glass on the drink down. Smell is of nice citrus zest and herbal hops with a slight honey smell as the beer warms. Taste is a nice balance between sweet malt and citrus zest and herbal hops. Mild hop bitterness lingers on the palate after each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good cream ale with a nice balance between the malt and hops.

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from can into Pilsener glass.

A - Light amber with a white fizzy head. Clear and bubbly body.

S - Strong hop presence, sweet and light. Barley and bread finish the smell.

T - Very nice balance of flavor. Malts up front are rinsed out by a nice hop character. Very nice balance of sweetness and bitterness. I really like the subtle hoppy aftertaste.

M - Creamy mouthfeel as in the name, but a nice crisp finish that leaves the mouth dry at the end.

D - Very good drinkability. Light, refreshing and leaves you begging for plenty more. I would love to try this beer off of a tap.

Very nice, refreshing, well-balanced ale. Super light, would pair perfectly with pizza or bbq. Only the second Sixpoint beer I've tried but I've enjoyed both this and Righteous Ale very much. I don't mind the 16oz cans at all. In fact I like their different style.

3.93/5  rDev 0%

A hoppy cream ale? I am all over that!
Best by December 01, 2011 whoot new beer!

A - Looks kind of hazy bright amber brown with an impressive inch of head that looks pillow like and sticky. Tons of carbonation on this one. It's so pillow like it seems like I have to plow through just to take a sip!

S - Smells of sweet honey, a touch of citrus hops and a little bit of vanilla is hidden underneath.

T - Ow wow that's interesting the base of the cream ale mostly with vanilla hits with an aggressive hop profile that really sticks to the tongue. Pale malts make it hard to enjoy at first but the second and third sip they become timid and more drinkable.

M - Light to medium I found it pretty smooth bodied.

Overall it's hard to say I liked it since I had to really look around how aggressive the hops and pale malts clashing hit me in a bad way. Maybe it's the can that makes the malts so harsh?. Will have to try their other beers and find a favorite.

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

Pint size can into a pint glass, best before 9/20/2011

A hazy unfiltered looking marmalade color with a 1cm head that dissipates into nothing after a few sips. Bubbles can be seen dancing to the top if examined closely.

Sweet fruit and citrus on the nose like pineapple, limes, and grapefruit. A touch of bitter pine and a hint of astringency woven into the most forward aromas. Rounded out with some honey and pale malt sweetness. Some gingerbread and graham cracker in there as well.

Forward with fruity flavors of pineapple and lime/grapefruits, followed instantly by pale malts and gingerbread. Some buttery biscuit notes in there as well. Not much honey or graham cracker as the smell, and finishes with a touch of bitter piney hops.

Soft on the palate with a lighter medium body. Crisp with just a hint at carbonation.

Bright fruity aroma with a sweet malt backbone, and a flavor that follows. Crisp on the palate as well while remaining smooth. A great ale that retains it's approachability while still maintaining enough flavor and aroma to interest the serious craft drinker.

4.05/5  rDev +3.1%

16oz Tallboy can.
A) Pours with a finger thick head. Settles to a thin, creamy lacing on top and at the edge of the glass. Some haze with active carbonation. Copper in color.
S) Piney. Pungent earthiness. Subtle spice aroma of coriander and clove.
T) Possibly a Belgian cream ale here... Notes of banana and clove but very subtle under the mellow sweetness of the malt.
M) Creamy. Medium body. A slick tongue feel in the finish, like I just smoked a clove cigarette.
T) A pleasant surprise of a beer. I don't know if I would say it is a "cream ale". I see the characteristics but according to Sixpoint's website this is a golden amber - not sure if I agree with that either. A good drinkable brew.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

One finger of beige head over translucent copper. Golden at the edges. Very hoppy on the nose, with resiny pine and grapefruit citrus. I even pick up some alcohol in the aroma. Flavors reveal the malt--a little sweet, but thankfully not too bready. The hops are really a swift kick to the palate. Medium sticky mouthfeel, which is something I love in a hoppy beer. Sixpoint is becoming a staple in my beer supply.

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

A - Amber gold, a little cloudy, head disappates quickly. Not a great pour from a can.

S - a little spicy and lemony. Strongly reminds me of a belgian wit.

T -cloves, lemon, and pepper. As it warmed lemongrass started to come out.

M - very smooth. This was the only aspect that reminded me of a cream ale.

O - More of a belgian wit than a cream ale. Not really sure where they got the idea to call this a cream ale. A decent beer, but not the strongest offering from Sixpoint.

3.93/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a hefe glass.

Appears a little cloudy, a nice light caramel color.  Half finger head which hangs around.

Sweet caramel malt, toffee, sea salt, and some light citrus and floral hops.

Upfront is a super smooth, sweet caramel malt.  It continues sweet, I get papaya and some mangos.  Finishes dry and with a piney bitterness.  Great balance.

Mouthfeel is full-bodied and incredibly smooth and creamy.  Carbonation is  just right.

Overall this is a nice, well balanced, beer.  This is only the second cream ale I've tried, but it's the best.

3.96/5  rDev +0.8%

Picked up a can of this at Julio's Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear burnt orange colour with a creamy one finger head that fades to leave a nice smooth halo and good wisping.

S - Malt sweetness followed by some nice floral hops and bitterness. Doesnt really smell like a cream ale though.

T - More like the nose. Starts with some upfront malt sweetness followed by the nice hoppy citrus bitterness. There is some light earthy/musky flavours.

M - Nice mouthfeel. Good carbonation with a nice crisp super refreshing finish.

O - Overall, I enjoyed this beer. That being said I really didnt think this tasted like a cream ale. There was just too much going on.

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks for sharing Cam. I can't think of more ways to say that.
Notes. Tonight. 8-11-11

A - Amber body, slightly cloudy, minimal white head. Nice look

S - lightly bitter, is that peppermint? It's ok, but some funny business

T - is that bubblegum? Light, crisp malts, dry, light-medium hop profile.

M - light, medium-thin, smooth.

O - don't know the style too well, but this seems pretty good for it. Some funny things reminding me of different types of gum, but not a bad beer.

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a nice clear orange ish yellow. Not much head but well carbonated. Smells hopper than i expected. Smells a bit sweet as well. Tastes... Interesting. Sweet, creamy, low flavour profile. Well carbonated. The mouthfeeel is interesting. Overall the beer is much better than any other cream ale I've had. Definitely worth trying

Big thanks to jedwards for including this in his recent trade with me.

Slightly cloudy orange-amber with a nice looking head that fizzles away to nothing, unfortunately. Smells of that nice sweetness I expect from a cream ale. Not detecting citric hop elements at all, but I am detecting earthy musk hop elements in the nose.
Tastes a lot like a great mai bock that has been spiked with more noble hops than usual, but presents the creamy silky texture of an excellent cream ale. I don't really care about the style confusion, because I like where it has led me! A very good session beer that comes across as a better than average sturdy workhorse of a cream ale. It's definitely piqued my curiosity to see what else Sixpoint can offer, as it is the second time I've been pleasantly surprised by their better-than-average canned offerings.

Sweet Action from Sixpoint Brewery