Sweet Action - Sixpoint Brewery

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Cream Ale |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Sixpoint on 03-04-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sweet Action Alström Bros
Reviews: 509 | Hads: 1,929
3.59/5  rDev -8.7%

i had this beer on tap in new jersey its funny i saw it in cans a bit earlier but decided to buy a different can instead then i saw it on tap and though i would give it a try

my sample came to me with no head on it at all i asked the bartender to pour one for me again because there was no head she said she could not do that i don't know why it was headless but i don't think that was a godo thing

anyways the aroma was great though i smelled mango and fruit and also some sweet malt in there so there was anticipation of good things

however the taste was good but just not great i had quite a few of the sixpoint brews and this one just didn't do it for me i feel in the aftertaste there is a let down so much promise on this one but no follow through in the aftertaste just a little bit of hops and then that's it

decent mouthfeel in the end light or medium bodied

overall a decent to good beer but after the first few rounds of really great beers from sixpoint this one was my least favorite not saying it was bad but in my opinon the other ones are simply better (1,072 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

This is my first six point beer but it will not be the last. This beer pours a hazy brown color. It has smells of citrus like lemons and grapefruit. The the taste of this cream is great. It is very to style and has a great malt background to balance out the hops. overall I am very impressed with this and makes me want to try all the beers six point has to offer. (364 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a slightly hazy golden brown color with a big rocky off-white head that settles into a rocky cap with some sparse lacingon the glass.

The aroma is of a fruity yeasty note. A bit metallic, with copper standing out. There is a bit of a musty yeasty spice thing going on.

The taste is of a neutral grain flavor, slight hop presence and a nice fruitiness from the yeast. Has a metallic twang to it. The flavors don't pop but that is the beauty of a cream ale. Perhaps a touch sour in the finish.

Solid moderate feel, soft-ish carbonation. Lightly sweet on the palate, has a bit of an astrigent feel in the finish.

A good beer that has a general fruity flavor to it. Quite balanced, neutral flavors. Good beer to BBQ with or tailgate. Very solid. (751 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -3.8%

Good starting head that leaves blotches of lace. The brew is cloudy with darker amber color.

Unusual hop bite for the style. I smell pine. There is a mild lighter malt nose as well.

The flavor matches the smell profile. Although the can states "more sweet", I find this beer to be more bitter, particulary during and after the swallow. Good body with an appropriate amount of carbonation. (392 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +12.5%

Ok on to my favorite sixpoint brew sweet action. This is hands down the brew that turned me on to sixpoint. A wicked brew that is worthy of stacks in my fridge.

A- sweet action pours a hazy tangerine look with some fair spiky lacing on the sides of my pint glass. Carbonation is ripping through the glass as it calls me out

S- a light citric theme is crossed over with some buttery scents and even slight yeast presence. Some peppery scents finish out the brew and for me, make a mouth watering cameo

T- good fruit flavors with some caramel themes from the malt no doubt. The flavors of the brew are combined in a unique fashion that even has some bitterness flash over

M- creamy and carbonated to perfection. An M rating of utopia

D- this is my brew. It's delicious and can be slammed dunked in this RAINY summer. Love sixpoint! (834 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +0.3%

Thanks to soco7tyx7 for the extra

Med+ Orange yellow amber pours with a floof small bead head that sticks around a bit but leaves no lace
Caramel overripe apple pine grass weeds bread yeast...musky orange marmalade and a slight bit of banana even. likey.
More bread on palate with lots of toast on finish and a hint of pine on the exhale.
Lovely inviting texture with perfect carb. Really refreshing.
This is quite nice, flavorful but light, really refreshing. (462 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.6%

This was my original review of the tap version:

I didn't know what I was getting and no one was able to tell me so i was expecting the usual local beer strong offering (double ipa, barley wine, whatever). Once I got used to what I was drinking it is a really good session beer especially if you are local to new york city and you can get it fresh. I'd say it's up there with the Captain Lawrence Pale ale or the brooklyn ipa. Get it if you can find it.

---

I love the new Sixpoint cans but Sweet Action is still not my favorite brew from this brewer. (553 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours a deep amber color from can to chalice... decent clarity. Has a very good yeasty aroma. Almost Belgian-like. The flavor is outstanding and is lightly hopped, predominantly yeasty and mildly bready character. Mouthfeel is perfect... just about medium with a very nice aftertaste.

I don't know how this defines as "cream ale" exactly, however this is absolutely delicious and brewed to great standards! (407 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +25.2%

New 16oz sixpoint can poured into my sixpoint pint glass (I'm a geek like that)

Pours a light red with a thick stiff white head that doesn't stick around long

Smells strongly of hops with some tropical fruit smells peeking through

Tastes amazing, nice hop character upfront but nothing overwhelming, some slight peach and mango flavors come through with a bit of malt.

Mouthfeel is great light on the carbonation and not all that thick.

Overall great session beer one of my favorite summer beers. (501 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy shadowed golden pale color, visibly carbonated, with a HUGE stiff off white head that resists fading and leaves an impressive amount of Belgian lacing behind. My first sense of the nose raised a crisp pilsner note of spice followed quickly by a fruity peach. The mouth is creamy smooth, nicely carbonated, with a substantial presence to the body. Full flavored, nicely balanced spicy peach and sweet malts. Clean crisp finish to the mouth while the taste lingers nicely. The 5.2% ABV really lends to the overall drink-ability. Found these 4pk cans at Premier Gourmet in Kenmore NY...$2.50 ea or $9.50 for the pack. Really nice offering from team Sixpoint. (668 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance: Pours with a cloudy sunset of colors. From golden yellow to a warm amber. A gentle pour yields a one finger head that doesn't stick around for long, including minimal lacing. A more vigoruous one gives a foamy yellowy-white head, with thick spiderwebs of lace that snake all the way down the glass.

Smell: Reminds me of a Belgian tripel with notes of banana, only more bitter. Also big notes of honeydew melon, and maybe a hint of vanilla.

Taste: This is my first cream ale, and perhaps I'm just not used to what one is like, but I was expected this to be a little more balanced with more malt character. Hop bitterness is experienced first with the sweet malts peeking though. The aftertaste is when the bitterness recedes and the malts really show through. They have a mellow sweetness like homemade white bread.

Feel: Minimal carbonation, and very smooth and silky.

Overall: With a name like Sweet Action I was hoping for the malts to be a bit more obvious and have more character. I had one prior to this review and the prominence of the hops made me think it was skunked, though its short stay in the freezer to cool it down probably numbed some of the malt flavors. The one at proper temperature was much better, however, and was a lot more palatable. I can see this being an excellent after-dinner beer on a summer evening. (1,346 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

I first saw this brewery on the Brewpub podcast. I like the spirit they put into the product. It was a nice surprise that they are distributing to Central New Jersey.

This beer looks like a red at first glance. There is a one-finger head, but that may be due to the bartender being generous.

I tasted lots of good malts and hops in the Six Point. There is a lot of citrus and carmel in each drink. The citrus came over the top in the after-taste and remained after.

I paired this with a BBQ pork sandwich, and it matched well.

I suggest buying this beer when it presents itself. (582 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

16 oz can, 5.2% abv. Best before Sept. 20, 2011. Hazy copper color. White, sticky head holds at a thin layer for a while, leaving some nice lace. Pretty good looking.

Sweet malt in the nose, with a hint of caramel. Maybe just a bit toasty. Floral, herbal and spicy hop aroma. An interesting combination.

Toasty malt. Not a great amount of depth. Hops come in earthy and spicy, and lend some interesting notes. Some tea-like flavors as well. Dries out at the finish.

Lighter body, with a good amount of carbonation. Alcohol is very well hidden. This beer seems to grow on me after a while. Some interesting flavors here. Worth a shot. (639 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +6.9%

slightly hazy, yet dull copper with a smallish pure white head that sticks around for just a bit and laces okay.

aroma is of fresh cut grass, lemon grass, a little bit of bitter citrus, and some yeasty qualities that you'd smell in expanding pizza dough.

flavor is spicy, sweet, bitter, and a touch yeasty, all balanced very well. there is cracked pepper, lemon pepper, citrus zest, pizza dough, light caramel, raisin, and a few other flavors all working in harmony.

almost medium bodied with a slightly prickly carbonation that finishes crisp, yet finishes with a yeasty and spicy aftertaste.

overall, its a great brew. combines tons of different flavors and qualities with nothing dominating but everything working in harmony. doesn't quite fit into a cream ale category, I'd put this as a cross between a cream ale and an IPA maybe. (840 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

A- Light amber body pours out of the can into a pint glass. A nice fluffy head builds up to about two fingers and retains well.

S- Quite a bit of hops off the top, as I have noticed with the new Sixpoint cans, not quite IPA level. Hops lend floral, peach and zest. A nutty, caramel and buttery background to the hops.

T- Same basic elements as the aroma but mixed around in strength. Floral and earthy hops become more prominent as well as the malt in general. A nice grainy and raisin spice flavor comes into play as well.

MF- Creamy bodied ale with a high level of silky carbonation. Somewhat bitter finish.

Interesting blend of malt and hop flavor profiles, both are fairly prominent. Brings a lot of different things to the table and certainly worth trying. (765 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

best before September 20, 2011

A: Hazy, dark orange with a thick head.

S: Bready malt with some hops. When I first tried this in a can, a few days after it was released, I got some very mild Simcoe-like cat pee in the bottom of my glass.

T: Sweet, soft, bready malt with grapefruit and lemon hops. The hops are much more prominent than on the nose, but they do not take over. A Belgian tasting yeast sometimes pokes through, although it is much more subdued in this incarnation than in some of the previous. This beer really is both sort of sweet and sort of hoppy, and it's excellently balanced.

M: Medium full.

O: I think Sixpoint once described this as a half-IPA, and I can see that. The hops are prominent for the style (whatever that is), but not like in an IPA. I can drink this all night. (801 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -2%

Got this in a trade and really am a huge fan of this cream ale.

Pours golden amber with minimal head and lacing into a pint glass.

Smell is malty with a whiff of piney hops and them vanilla cream.

Taste is just awesome as it welcomes with malty goodness and the vanilla caramel notes but has enough hops to give a slight crispness and bite to this ale.

Mouthfeel is luscious with the creaminess one would expect from the style.

Love this beer and hope to trade for more. Of the sixpoints this is my second favorite behind the crisp.

Bill (544 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +22.6%

I've been enjoying this one quite a lot lately on tap, and just had to grab a 4 pack of cans when I saw it available at my local beer store.

I rarely get excited over a beer's appearance, so it's a bit difficult to really rate it. Little head and little lacing (although I'm not sure why either would serve as a true metric of a quality.

When I first tried this brew, I was at a loss to define it's style... Hoppy like an IPA, but not quite (especially considering how acquainted I am with their Bengali Tiger IPA). Good to know that I'm drinking a cream ale - a style that I admittedly have little familiarity with, and expect that this may be an exception rather than the rule.

Sweet Acton is certainly worth a try.... (724 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -3.1%

574th Review to BA
Can to Pint
16oz

Thanks to Bob for the extra

App- Dark golden yellow with A huge two finger head. Again no cling. Only a ring of bubbles falls as you drink the beer.

Smell- Its a lot like dessert to me. Very sugary with a malty note. Very aromatic to entice a drink. Not one scent strong.

Taste- For a cream ale its a little hoppy to me. Very flavorful with balanced flavors and a bit spicy. More vanilla than expected.

Mouth- medium bodied and almost high carbed. Very vanilla on aftertaste.

Drink- My first sixpoint beer. Very tasty and balanced. Its creamy, but turned upside down. Id like more of this. Also, more from them. (653 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +2.3%

I'm so excited to see this brewery's beer sold in cans in Pennsylvania. They've been an on-tap favorite for awhile and I'm so glad that I can finally savor their beers in the privacy of my own home.

Not much in the way of head or foam. All of the visual characteristics are present in the hazy, orange body. Carbonation is present, but not visibly too excited. When held to the light, it takes on a slightly iced tea-esque brownness, which is fitting for this humid time of the year.

Aroma is sweet, but subtle. Notes of citrus fruit and heavy cream are at the forefront, with the slightest bit of malt and hops lingering in the background.

The taste is where this Cream Ale really shines. The sweet and bitter creaminess is balanced well with the sourness of an orange's peel and a doughy maltiness. As it warms, the biscuity quality of the back end reminds me of an English bitter. It's also just as sessionable, despite its sweetness.

The mouth packs a bit of a tingle, which is most likely due to the welcome addition of orange and grapefruit. Pairing the milky aspects with delicious fruit makes for one amazing creamsicle.

This is gonna be one of my go-to session beers this summer. It's tasty enough to put under the flavor microscope, while still being drinkable and light enough to pound during a ballgame. Brooklyn's finest! (1,340 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +16.5%

Appearance-light mahagony with an off white head that stands tall with swiss cheese size bubble clusters that stands an inch tall in my pint glass and lasts for 2-3 minutes and then subsides to a wee wisk across the surface while leaving lady finger lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell-Rich cara malts with a pine and citra foggyness.

Taste-Strong sticky, heavy caramel malt character with a strong, smooth citrus backdrop. Very pleasing and well balanced with a beautiful taste profile for a cream ale.

Mouthfeel-Heavy but without being aggresive. For a "cream ale" I would have expected a bit lighter feel but but I really enjoyed this one.

Overall-A high quality beer. I received as an extra in a trade and now I am in search of more. I see this beer and probably all of Sixpoints beers being just as sought after as Surly! (834 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Many thanks go out to woodychandler for providing this beer. Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a caramel color with a 1 inch head. Smell is big on hops and citrus. Taste is citrus up front, a good bit of hops, some malts are present, bitter for this style. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is an enjoyable beer. (317 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -17.8%

A: amber/gold with tiny bubbles floating upwards towards the surface. A thin layer of white froth forms below the head after its recession. Sticky white lace.

S: a pleasant blend of hoppy/floral notes and smooth malts.

T: malty, and hoppy; mildly bitter and a touch watery at the end. Everything is nicely blended and well balanced, but it lacks that deliciousness to make me crave every drop of this brew. Pretty sure it's a style limitation.

M: medium-bodied, perfectly carbonated.

O: well-balanced, smooth, clearly crafted by people in-the-know. But I'm not in love with the style. (588 characters)

First had: on tap at Silk City Diner, Philly, PA

Poured into a pint glass, a hazy golden orange, with a foamy head that receded to a patchy layer of bubbles. Smell of sweet malts and orange zest with grassy and floral notes. Biscuity malt taste in the background with flavors of fresh juicy hops up front, peach and orange blossom, sugary, grassy and slightly herbal. Comes off more as an APA than a cream ale. Very smooth and medium-bodied, incredibly drinkable. Fresh, crisp, sweet. (485 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +21.4%

The CANQuest (TM) has been anxiously awaiting its chance to review the new Sixpoint CANs since their release was announced. I, like Sweet Sweetback, am hoping this will be one baadasss beer in a CAN!

From the sweet CAN: "Beer is Culture"; "Ah love is bitter and sweet, but which is more sweet the bitterness or the sweetness, none has spoken it. [-Sappho] Sweet Action is an idea; a concept. It is a simple representation of what makes beer great - the marriage of barley and hops, in a harmonious balance of sweet and bitter."; "Please keep refrigerated. This ale was dry-hopped with fresh hops."

Sweet Baby Jesus! The Crack & Glug revealed a Cream Ale unlike any Cream Ale I have ever seen. This dang sure wasn't no Genny Cream, which I still have an affinity for, BTW. Two fingers of dense tawny head with great retention and a deep-orangish amber colored beer with a slight haze says either APA or BUPGOO! Sweet! Not sweet was the nose, which was grassy, minty and floral. Cream Ale just got schooled, yo! Mouthfeel was medium and there was a soft (as opposed to sharp) bitterness in the mouth. Sweet! This is as excited about a CANned beer as I have been in a while! Finish was mildly bitter, enough to sustain a hops junkie like me, but still mild enough not to drive off the uninitiated. Will this be going into my cooler? Does my main man, Sweet Sweetback, mistrust "The Man"? Yo, bring it on! (1,403 characters)

Sweet Action from Sixpoint Brewery