2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Righteous Ale - Sixpoint Brewery

Righteous AleRighteous Ale

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Rye Beer |  6.40% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2005)
View: Beers (95) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 925 | Reviews: 382 | Show All Ratings:
knowledge

This is the brew developed for the God's. I cannot get enough of the amber color pour and rich, thick head, taste is sweet with subtle hoppiness bitterness. I can drink this over and over again. Excellent ABV content. A very filling brew worthy of your salute. Cheers!! BTW, the finish is the super star, nice and nutty.

12-13-2010 22:53:41 | More by knowledge
Steiner1

After pouring my first one of these into a pint it changed everything. You cant go commercial ever again after having one or a whole four pack of these bad boys. This is the perfect ale and a standard that others should follow. I haven't had many rye ales but this beer will make you thirst for more. The look, the smell and the tast are exceptional. This beer is also drinkable, no your not going to drink ten of these but there is no need to anyways. After having one you will want another though and probably another after that and it has some kick to it too.

02-20-2012 01:53:10 | More by Steiner1
woodychandler

4.95/5  rDev +24.1%

I CAN't believe how many craft brewers have embraced the CANned Beer Revolution! I was way out in front of the curve on this one, thanks to the LNBA crowd and my former homie, N(T)ickD717, who challenged me to find something that I could take interest in without bothering him and his ticker crowd. CANs are the new black, or some such. I just like the idea of portability, recycling potential, and now, variety. CAN you imagine how many AALs I had to try to get to 500 CANs? Now, you CAN probably do it in a day or two without even cracking a Bud! Why do I mention all of this in my review? 'Cause I'm one righteous mofo, baby! You wanna talk CANs, you come to Da Man! Hee hee.

From the CAN: "Beer is culture"; "They should be good men; their affairs as righteous: But all hoods make not monks, Beneath a deep blanket of snow there is a cereal that [CAN] survive the harsh winters and acidic soils - RYE [nice use of caps, Ed.]. Like a draped hood over a monk, it is the righteousness inside that shines." Holy ... It is like they had Bro. Woody of the Order of Disorder in mind when they wrote that! I thought sure that the IPA would be my All-5s in this CANventure, but now I am not so sure.

The Crack & Glug came off without a hitch and soon I had two foamy fingers of tawny head sitting there in defiance. This was a righteous beer! Color was 19 SRM, or how so many Lovibond, I have no idea. I would have said 14 or 15, max. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Probably not, which is one of my problems with putting TMI on labels. Color is very subjective and hard to calibrate, but there is a scale for beer color and this one weighs in at a measured 19 SRM. On the Woody Scale, it was a very deep-copper, approaching ruby with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO, in its most righteous form! Nose was full-on black pepper and I will never forget nor stop thanking the most righteous Sopor for turning me on to Rye beers. He was also way ahead of the curve. The taxation of rye was what sparked The Whiskey Rebellion here in the US and if you really want a treat, try some Rye Whiskey. Smoooth! And so was this beer. It was like it was evaporating from my glass in terms of its smoothness. And the lacing ... thick, dense, requiring a jackhammer to remove. Finish was minty and peppery, but not pepperminty. Rye has its own bite, unlike any hops CAN impart. These guys really let the Rye Flag fly. Cooler? F**k no! I'm keeping it all in my fridge for those days when I come home from teaching and want to die. This will make me feel better.

06-17-2011 23:28:16 | More by woodychandler
Reagan1984

4.85/5  rDev +21.6%

This beer is just amazing. Every time that I have it I love it more. Yesterday at brunch I enjoyed two and finally took some notes to write this review. This is the classic fresh draught beer in my book. So different than a mass produced bottled beer.

Each pint comes with a glorious off white creamy head that shows excellent retention. The beer is a hazy amber color that almost looks thicker than it is. Sheet of lacing line the entire inside of the glass.

Spicy aroma with lots of hop aromas and a nice balance of malt. Smelled fresh.

Awesome flavor that is wonderful mixture of blasting fresh floral hops a nicely balanced malt profile and the perfect touch of dry and spicy rye. I know I am a fan of rye beers to begin with, but I think this one nails it. Not too dry but just enough to provide it with extra character.

Creamy, smooth, slick and wonderful with slight carbonation.

I could drink this all day. I intentionally savor every sip as it's just great!!!

08-23-2010 22:15:44 | More by Reagan1984
Akahoshi

4.83/5  rDev +21.1%

I got this beer in a package from someone that I have done business with online. I love Sixpoint's cans! They look great. Now for the review.

A: Poured a dark brownish red color with a light fluffy off white/tan head. Pretty dark overall but the head looked like it was going to stick around for a while.

S: Smelled phenomenal! Lots of hops as well as some sort of spicy component. I'd say the smell was primarily hops, but there was a slight hint of a spice/rye.

T: Good amount of hops without being overly bitter. Definitely could taste that this was a rye ale. Kind of had a very light spice component which you might associate with rye ales, but that was more on the back end. On the forefront, it was all about the hops.

M: Medium mouthfeel. Pretty smooth, not a whole lot to say here.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. Super tasty and enjoyable. I'd recommend this to anyone that's not afraid of hops. The only thing I'm disappointed with is that I can't get it where I live.

09-04-2011 05:29:54 | More by Akahoshi
BBM

4.8/5  rDev +20.3%

This Righteous Rye poured a dark amber/ruby color, clear, with an off white head that stuck around for most of the time. The aroma was leafy hops, rye spices, and a bit bready. Pleasant nose.

The taste was a real well-balanced and complex flavor of grass and oily leaf hops, caramel malt, and a dry, sour, yet completely enjoyable rye finish. This beer never hits you over the head with the rye flavor, but instead blends it in perfectly and appropriately. Mouthfeel is medium, with a full, clean finish. I had no idea the beer had such a high ABV, as the alcohol is masked very well.

This is my favorite Sixpoint ale, as well as my favorite rye beer. If you have the opportunity, this is a must-have. Very well done.

03-21-2007 16:31:09 | More by BBM
slim2043

Connecticut

4.73/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured out of a can into a Sam Adams glass

A- deep brown w ruby red highlights. Nice lacing on an off white head

S- a really nice earthy spice and rich caramel malt some hop notes

T- nice bitter up front w a sweet raisney finish tailed w a lingering bitter and spicey aftertaste very tastey

M- smooth a little chew and great carb

O- exactly what I'm looking for in a Rye.

10-18-2012 21:20:52 | More by slim2043
Cavanaghty

Maine

4.73/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Deep amber color with about one finger of off-white head.

Smell: I could smell some rye, some citrus notes. Good smell, not overpowering.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth, medium bodied. Taste was very nutty, which I did not expect with the citrus notes that could be smelled.

Overall: Great beer, although it is not my personal first choice.

11-09-2012 14:02:35 | More by Cavanaghty
TheSupremeAJ

4.72/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a rich dark red amber with a thin finger head. Aroma is very sweet and rich. The taste is outstanding... a balancing act of minimal hops, sweet caramel malts, and twang. Very citrus-like for a rye beer. Bright and delicious. This is the best Rye Pale Ale I've ever had.

06-28-2011 20:10:45 | More by TheSupremeAJ
twelvsies

Maine

4.68/5  rDev +17.3%

I like rye beers a lot, and they seem to be few and far between so I tend to seek them out when I see them on the menu. Had this on tap at the Sunset the other day, and it blew me away. Poured in a tulip, this American brew really has a Belgian vibe about it, which is odd given the style. Nice murky russet color, and an excellent foamy head that sticks around and leaves some rings of lacing. This is an awesomely complex beer. Super spicy, full of rye character and peppery notes. Also some sweet cinnamon and nutmeg, or maybe even clove. I never thought I'd say this about any beer but I was sort of reminded of a Fantome saison because of the sweet/spicy characteristics. A lot like the spicing in their Hiver or Printemps or something. Excellent. Also, it's got a really bitter hop kick towards the end with a great bone dry, yet somehow smooth and creamy mouthfeel. I'm definately getting this again, and highly recommend it.

09-11-2005 18:35:56 | More by twelvsies
Johnnyfacelift

4.68/5  rDev +17.3%

This has quickly become one of my new favorite brews. It reminds my of a Belgian Pale Ale or border line Belgian IPA. You know there's Rye in there when you pour and see the beautiful red color, and the aroma supports the Belgian yeast with an aroma of dense malt and the smell of fall. The taste is rich malt with a big yeast profile and a nice hop taste and balanced bitterness. At around $8.99 a four pack of 16oz. cans you can't beat the value and quality of this beer... two thumbs up!

08-19-2011 02:20:48 | More by Johnnyfacelift
sholland119

4.65/5  rDev +16.5%

Review #100 for me. This is a great beer to mark this milestone.

On tap at Mugs Ale House, Brooklyn.

A-Pours a rich, clear amber with an abundant head and nice lacing.

S-Serious piney hops with an equal amount of rye graininess. Excellent.

T-A little malt in the front, lots of hops all the way through balanced by a strong rye presence. Delicious.

M-Nice carbonation. The rye and hop bitterness last nicely.

D-Excellent. I can't get enough, as long as I am not driving. And since we have to come to NY to get this beer, I rarely am.

Sixpoint makes excellent beers across the board. This is my favorite.

HV

07-18-2008 15:26:35 | More by sholland119
Mosstrooper

4.65/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from a 473ml can into a 330ml Corsendonk tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a somewhat hazy mahogany color with a small off-white head that dissipates quickly and leaves behind a thick ring of lace.

Smell: Rye and citrus are dominant, with a biscuity, slightly sweet malt backing.

Taste: Begins sort of woody, rounding out to sweet malt with a touch of citrus before finishing with a very strong rye flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with balanced carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is one of the better rye beers out there. Definitely worth a try.

01-04-2012 22:52:21 | More by Mosstrooper
Manoftyr

4.63/5  rDev +16%

Appearance-Pours into pint glass a reddish chestnut brown with rich beige head, sticky lacing clings to the side as the head recedes into a milimeter or so of film which remains throughout, bundling on the edges.

Aroma-Citrus hops and sweet dark malts are dominant, caramelly with hints of dark fruits. A little grassy as well. The rye is very well balanced and far from dominant but lends its distinct spice in a tactfully reserved manner; I like it.

Taste-Dry and citrusy upfront but then cut by some malty sweetness; caramel and citrusy hops with that touch of grassyness as noted on the nose. The Rye adds a bit of spice that becomes more and more pronounced towards the finish and ends with a dry twang. Very well balanced.

Mouthfeel-Just full enough without being too heavy and with adequate carbonation; excellent.

Overall/Drinkability-This beer has singlehandedly changed my entire mindset on Rye beers, I had initially written the entire style off as I had not found a single example I liked. That said, this is an extremely well crafted brew that is supremely drinkable, well done Sixpoint, well done.

01-18-2012 18:26:29 | More by Manoftyr
bobfinkenaur

4.6/5  rDev +15.3%

One of the most interesting beers I have had in a long time. Not hoppy or overly malty but just a great tasting beer. Unlike a lot beers this one does not hit you at first taste. It actually gets better the more you drink it. I get a sublte chocolate, smoke, light sweet and earthly like flavor. Great job Sixpoint. Can't wait to try your other beers.

01-31-2012 04:10:25 | More by bobfinkenaur
goodbyeohio

Oregon

4.58/5  rDev +14.8%

8.4, holy shit. they're serving this bad boy at the ginger man in 20oz imperial pints. sampled 12/10/05, great temperature too.

cloudy like a rainstorm with a reddish-brown glow in the bottom of the glass. murky and foreboding like the red sky before said storm. continents made of foam wisps lie still on the surface, hardcore walls of lacing take hold of the glass' inner sanctum. smells brilliantly of piney pine cone hoppiness and freshly baked pumpernickel bread.. not quite rye although a cracked pepper spiciness permeates my nasal cavity. bold is an understatement here for this strong aroma. once this beer enters my mouth, i can feel the hops, physically. super hoppy with a nice rye tang in the finish. licorice-like bitter spice and lemon rind abounds. crisp and crippling. malt really lays back as the botanical richness and peppery accents rule. robust yet extremely quaffable.. it's just delicious and rich without heaviness. aftertaste reminds me of grape-nuts and continues to perplex me. this beer is a crazy, funky, beer bomb. use with caution, but extremely effective and tasty overall.

12-11-2005 19:20:14 | More by goodbyeohio
VIPbeer

4.58/5  rDev +14.8%

Had this on tap at both Char #4 and at Back Forty. I love how drinkable this beer is for the ABV- it's a little dangerous! The first sips reveals smooth, sweet malt and earthy rye with a pleasant hoppy finish. The flavor is like a much darker beer but the heavy carbonation makes this drink much lighter. This worked really well with the grub at Char #4, which is smokey BBQ. My favorite from this brewery so far.

02-01-2009 03:28:01 | More by VIPbeer
cosmicevan

picked up locally...

a - popped the can and filled my capt lawrence taster tulip. poured a deep rich orange with a darker core than outside in the glass. generous portion of frothy white head.

s - wow...smells awesome. fresh sticky piny hops and rye. good amount of candied sweetness. smells really fresh.

t - balanced hops with fresh sweaty piny sweetness. the rye balances this one out really well giving it just a touch of earthiness.

m - thick and rich, but smooth and easy to drink. kind of has a fruit juice type of fullness and vibe. refreshing and filling.

o - i really like this beer. although none of their beers have been a disappointment, this and the crisp are beers that i can see myself regularly seeking out from the sixpoint line up.

07-15-2011 00:06:10 | More by cosmicevan
aerozeppl

4.55/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to drseamus for the growler love.

A: Nice deep reddish brown color with a finger and a half of white head. Really nice looking lacing.

S: Nice mix of rye and roast. Some chocolate is in there as well. I got more than a hint of B malt. Rye finishes out the nose nicely.

T: Nice mix of chocolate and rye just like the nose. Just a really nice sweetness throughout. Chocolate is there but it finishes with a nice blast of rye.

M: A great smooth mouthfeel especially for a growler. Incredible really.

D: Amazing beer all around. A totally different and incredible beer. Damn six point for not having their products in Albany.

Serving type: growler

03-18-2009 20:11:48 | More by aerozeppl
dudecandle

Growler from Whole Foods Bowery, NYC:

A: Nice, deep, hazy brown with a good finger+, off-white head. I'm excited already. Decent lacing, too.

S/T: Great Rye upfront and all the way through. Spicy and bready, with a good subtle-citrus-hop presence and a strong malt backbone.

M: Extremely long finish, nice and full.

D: Gotta love the local brew, especially when they make such a damn good one. It's full, it's complex, it's not too aggressive, it's great.

Serving type: growler

07-05-2009 07:22:54 | More by dudecandle
Fracker

Poured from 16oz can.

Poured a nice amber brown with a healthy tan head. Smell was roasty and sweet with a nice deep earthy hop profile. Taste was deep sweet caramel up front with a nice robust, dry finish. The mouth was exceptional. Smooth and clean up front, big creamy middle, and clean finishing malts giving way to the big hop texture on the back end.

The big malts make this a perfect evening air, or cool weather beer. I can't see it disappointing any fan of craft beer regardless of profile preference.

08-24-2011 19:55:32 | More by Fracker
maximum12

4.53/5  rDev +13.5%

Thanks to AndrewNations for this lovely 16 oz. can of beer that came with many, many, many friends in two boxes to my doorstep today. With this aluminum I salute you. On the bottom is a "Best Before 10NOV2011" stamp. Hey! You trying to poison me?

Poured into the brand-new Terrapin pint glass that was also in the box, this is a vision in burnt sienna. Fairly quiet, especially considering the shaking it probably endured earlier today. Smell is ham-thick rye with a huge notch of a spice seed: caraway? Herbal tea, too. Zadooks.

Righteous Ale is like a rye Heidi Klum - not subtle, but damn, who cares? Entire villages in third-world nations could have been fed with the rye slopped into this single can: the rye is running wild. Overwrought rye spicing. Thick artisan breadiness. Borderline imaginary pine hoppiness comes & goes like a Higgs boson. Touch of smoky caramel malt under the rye. So easy to drink. Gulp. Sorry.

This is one damn fine rye ale. There isn't much room for anything else but hey, when it's done this well, who cares about complexity? Rye rye rye. Glad to have three more cans cooling in the basement. I don't think they'll last.

12-16-2011 03:33:47 | More by maximum12
tigg924

Appearance: 1 inch head, moderate carbonation, amber in color, clear

Smell: citrus hops and rye

Taste: citrus hops and toasted malt at the start big rye in the middle and at the end

Mouthfeel: sweet start with a slightly bitter end, moderate carbonation, light bodied

Overall: I love love love this beer. This is what I wish more rye beers would taste like. This one screams rye, yet there are enough other flavors there to make it complex. This one is not overly bitter so I can enjoy the bready taste. I am getting this again. Superior beer.

01-31-2012 13:54:57 | More by tigg924
RBorsato

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

Tasted on-tap 02/17/07 at Park Slope Ale House in Brooklyn, NY.

Murky brown/mahogany color with a nice light brown head. Distinct rye aroma and flavor. Very malty and lightly sweet without being cloying. A very nicely balanced unique beer. Medium bodied and very smooth. Very sessionable.

A very nice Rye beer for a hard to find style ... seek this one out.

03-16-2007 16:38:27 | More by RBorsato
jameaterblues

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

On Tap at Rub BBQ on 23rd near 7th ave. Only $3 for what I think was a 12 oz cup(happy hour 2-6pm), but it might have been more.

A-Dark red amber color, with deep ruby highlights....1/4th inch white head with visible carbonation.
S- Spicy hops with a thick rich rye malt backbone, and a light sweet roundness.
T/M/D- More rye than I expected...I was kinda expecting a rye pale ale, but this thing has a big rye flavor, medium thick body and a big round fullness....spicy hops to balance the malts... Easy to drink, so easy I had two, Great stuff....Sixpoint so far has not disappointed me! Highly recommended.

04-24-2007 22:41:25 | More by jameaterblues