Righteous Ale - Sixpoint Brewery

Righteous AleRighteous Ale

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Rye Beer |  6.50% ABV

Made with rye malt to provide a signature and distinct earthy character. Seasoned and dry- hopped with herbal and citrus hops. Truly righteous.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-20-2005)
4.13/5  rDev +4%

Impressive thick, rich off-white head. Leaves nice ring lace. Light brown color and very cloudy.

Lots of rye presence in the smell. Light hop in the background.

First impression: this close to the driest beer I've ever tasted. There's enough hop to make this multidimensional. Even though there is nearly no sugar, the body is still rich. Good carbonation as well.

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

Big thanks to NJBeerNerd for sending this along as an extra in our latest trade.

A: Beer pours a reddish brown with a foamy white head, not too cloudy.

S: Damn, this beer smells great! A fantastic mix of citrusy hops and rye. I'm excited to taste it.

T: Definitely a rye-forward beer with the hops playing a secondary, but still present, role here. Very nicely balanced. It's quite good, but the smell indicated that it might be amazing, and it just wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be.

M: Medium-bodied and smooth up front, but with a very dry finish. Definitely a unique mouthfeel that helps set this one apart somewhat.

O: I'd say that this is a pretty positive first experience from my first Sixpoint can. This is a great rye beer that sets itself apart from the pack with an amazing smell and a very interesting mouthfeel.

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Great amber color and a good amount of head left after the pour.

S: Smells of that fantastic spicy rye scent which I adore. The hops are very apparent in the nose as well.

T: Great rye flavor and fantastically balanced hops. I am really enjoying drinking this beer to the last sip.

M: Good mouthfeel like all of the Sixpoint beers that I've had. Well balanced.

O: Great beer, I would easily put it up into my top 5 rye beers!

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a cloudy copper with amber highlights and half a finger of head that dissipates slowly.

N: Rye, pine, citrus, root beer and candied caramel.

T: Lots of rye upfront along with some pine and citrus. Fades into biscuit and caramel. Finishes with lingering rye flavors.

M: Medium-full bodied, prickly and dry.

O: A nicely done RyePA. Rye can get harsh but these flavors work well together. Nicely bitter with plenty of rye spiciness. Great for summer drinking.

4.72/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a rich dark red amber with a thin finger head. Aroma is very sweet and rich. The taste is outstanding... a balancing act of minimal hops, sweet caramel malts, and twang. Very citrus-like for a rye beer. Bright and delicious. This is the best Rye Pale Ale I've ever had.

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

One finger beige over amber red and copper hues. Aromas are wheaty, steel, and that delicious rye grain all over a caramel and toasty malt. Tastes are that caramel bready malt and spicy rye. Mouthfeel is medium and low carbonation. A little bit of acidity is pretty noticeable. This is a pretty good beer, but the hops could be given a boost to balance out the caramel. Not a ton of retention and just sporadic lacing.

4.13/5  rDev +4%

another sixpoint brew for this evening. So far so good for these guys. I love cans, so this is even a better experience

A- righteous ale pours a dark brown with a massive head of foam that literally stays around for a while. The lacing is layered all over the glass. Great looking beer that stands out from many others that have filled my pint glass

S- a great whiff of spices and citric hops that also loyal to that rye scent. There are some excellent herbal scents as well. The earthiness of the brew finishes with a touch grapefruit themes at the end. This is an impressive scent!

T- good citrus beginnings with the taste profile whereby the rye taste of the malt jumps in. Very bitter finish and hearty in the taste.

M- full bodied, creamy, and carbonated. It's good

D- this is a very impressive crafted beer. The combination of the rye malt and citric themes is fantastic. Another great brew from sixpoint

4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to Jesse for another good one.

Pours a hazy brown/ruby color with a half inch head. Nice lacing down the glass.

Smells like spicy rye and little grassy and herbal.

The hops open the taste with rye taking over. Its a very nice smooth transition. Leaves a short lived rye flavor but cleans up nicely.

Mouthfeel is moderate but the carbonation is fantastic.

Overall, its really good, best thing I've had from sixpoint so far.

Aromas of toasted dark rye bread and rye spice. As you dig back in you get a nice dose of hop bitterness and some more caramel malt sweetness.

The taste starts out as expected with light spic from the rye and sweet dark bready and light caramel maltiness. Earthy and slight citrus hops help balance out the finish leaving a nice drying effect.

Mouthfeel is full and properly carbonated. A nice sticky, mildly resinous hop flavor lingers on the palate with more rye spice. Caramel malts contribute just enough to keep it nicely balanced.

Overall this is a great rye beer, one of the best I have had to date, perfectly spicy without going over the top. It's a fine line that many breweries cross, so I appreciate that Sixpoint has done this style justice. Now that it's in a tallboy can it cannot get any better and is the best readily available and economic rye out there.

16oz can served in a SA 'perfect pint' glass.

pours a deep amber/copper shade while yielding just shy of 2" foamy, beige-colored head. moderated retention and patches of lacing evident.

hop-forward nose (citrus, some floral notes) is joined by a strong rye presence. nice aroma.

flavor delivers a lot of citric hoppiness and a heavy dose of rye. some secondary notes of spice, bready malt, and pine. tasty, sort of unique beer.

medium-bodied mouthfeel with average carbonation.

it look me a few sips to warm up to this beer but i have warmed. it's not 'knock your socks off' delicious, but relatively tasty and enjoyable. i'd definitely buy it again.

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a bit darker than I expected as its a mahogany tinted brown with an off-white head that recedes quickly and leaves spotty lacing.

lots of fresh cracked black pepper and toasted dark rye bread on top of some hop bitterness and some caramel sweetness.

big rye kick up front. probably the closest beer I have tasted to the flavors of dark rye toast. not as much in the form of hops as I expected, nor as sweet. It really is liquid bread.

almost medium bodied with ample carbonation, a drying finish yet a peppery aftertaste that lingers.

overall, I'm glad I tried it, but I was not overly impressed. I like hoppy beers that are accentuated by rye, but apparently I'm not a huge fan of rye beers accentuated by a spattering of hops. It was okay.

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Clear, deep copper colour with an inch of beige foam. Good head retention, lots of clumpy lacing. Citrusy hop aroma, pithy rather than juicy, caramel and nutty malts, a bit bready. Nice flavour, malty up front with citrusy hops following, finishing up with sturdy bitterness. Nutty and bready, grapefruit and tangerine, slight hop spiciness, slight toffee. Drying texture, medium bodied with moderate carbonation, leaning towards creamy. Overall, very enjoyable. I liked just about everything about this beer, including the balance between malts and hops (with hops winning out).

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

16oz can poured into tulip

Pours a hazed deep amber with an orange glow. Frothy head bubbles up and retains, leaving webs of lacing all over the glass.

Stiff scents of pine and grapefruit hops with a punch of rye spice. Breaded malts with some toasted notes and a slight hint of alcohol.

Nice explosive hop presence right up front. Grapefruit with pine swirl together, accentuated by the rye presence. There's plenty of spiciness added by the rye, which is fairly pronounced, and exactly what I was looking for. Breaded malt backbone with some caramel and fruit sweetness. Finishes hoppy, bitter, and with a slight touch of alcohol.

Medium body, nice carbonation, bubbly and dry on the palate. This is pretty much exactly what I look for in a rye beer, and I'm psyched to see these finally available in cans.

3.93/5  rDev -1%

Woo, Rye beer in a 16oz can!!! Gotta love it!

Dark copper color with a slight bit of haze to it and a nice creamy white head, albeit a bit thin.

Lots of sweet biscuity malts and plenty of rye note to go around. Floral and spicy hop character compliment this well before a slightly fruity finish.

Taste presents a delicate balance of rye malt character that adds a spicy bready touch along side toaste and caramel malt flavors. Pleasant hop bitterness with a floral and grassy flavor profile.

Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp and a rather heavy than expected feel. Overall I'm really digging this rye beer. Too bad it's not available around here.

4.95/5  rDev +24.7%

I CAN't believe how many craft brewers have embraced the CANned Beer Revolution! I was way out in front of the curve on this one, thanks to the LNBA crowd and my former homie, N(T)ickD717, who challenged me to find something that I could take interest in without bothering him and his ticker crowd. CANs are the new black, or some such. I just like the idea of portability, recycling potential, and now, variety. CAN you imagine how many AALs I had to try to get to 500 CANs? Now, you CAN probably do it in a day or two without even cracking a Bud! Why do I mention all of this in my review? 'Cause I'm one righteous mofo, baby! You wanna talk CANs, you come to Da Man! Hee hee.

From the CAN: "Beer is culture"; "They should be good men; their affairs as righteous: But all hoods make not monks, Beneath a deep blanket of snow there is a cereal that [CAN] survive the harsh winters and acidic soils - RYE [nice use of caps, Ed.]. Like a draped hood over a monk, it is the righteousness inside that shines." Holy ... It is like they had Bro. Woody of the Order of Disorder in mind when they wrote that! I thought sure that the IPA would be my All-5s in this CANventure, but now I am not so sure.

The Crack & Glug came off without a hitch and soon I had two foamy fingers of tawny head sitting there in defiance. This was a righteous beer! Color was 19 SRM, or how so many Lovibond, I have no idea. I would have said 14 or 15, max. Does anyone know what I am talking about? Probably not, which is one of my problems with putting TMI on labels. Color is very subjective and hard to calibrate, but there is a scale for beer color and this one weighs in at a measured 19 SRM. On the Woody Scale, it was a very deep-copper, approaching ruby with NE-quality clarity. BUPGOO, in its most righteous form! Nose was full-on black pepper and I will never forget nor stop thanking the most righteous Sopor for turning me on to Rye beers. He was also way ahead of the curve. The taxation of rye was what sparked The Whiskey Rebellion here in the US and if you really want a treat, try some Rye Whiskey. Smoooth! And so was this beer. It was like it was evaporating from my glass in terms of its smoothness. And the lacing ... thick, dense, requiring a jackhammer to remove. Finish was minty and peppery, but not pepperminty. Rye has its own bite, unlike any hops CAN impart. These guys really let the Rye Flag fly. Cooler? F**k no! I'm keeping it all in my fridge for those days when I come home from teaching and want to die. This will make me feel better.

4.33/5  rDev +9.1%

Pour - dark amber to chestnut in color with a good inch of off-white foam on top that leaves some lacing in what little bit of my glass is left unfilled. You've got to live 16 oz. cans! When held to the light this beer shines bright orange and auburn. Quite nice to look at really.

Aroma - nice fresh hop aroma is the first thing that greets my nose. Hi nose, I'm hops. Hi hops, I love you. Sort of a lemon, lime, orange citrusy smell along with some pineapple. There is also some nice notes of honey and molasses.

Taste - that first sip will likely make many, many beer lovers happy. This is a full-bodied, full-flavored beer that has a lot of nice things going on. First is the pronounced hoppiness that hits the tongue and numbs it. Plenty of citrus and piney notes from that are followed by the spicy, dry and bitter flavor that rye imparts. I'm a big fan of rye in beers and this one is exceptionally done. A good amount of maltiness makes keeps both the rye and the hops in check and rounds things out nicely with a sweet, brown sugary finish.

Overall - put everything together and you've got a great beer. Rye beers are not the most popular beers on the American craft beer landscape and if you're a fan you've got to give this one a shot. This beer should also please the palate of folks that like a hoppy amber ale or IPAs in general. I think that with this beer coming to cans I can say that one of my beer dreams has come true.
Would I buy more of it? - absolutely, positively. Once these four cans are gone, which won't take too long, I'll be buying more...much more!

4.28/5  rDev +7.8%

16 oz can poured into my Hop Devil nonic pint glass.

Appearance: Deep red boardering on brown with a two finger off white head.

Smell: The spiciness of the rye sticks out immediately. Good hop presence. Some sweetness but no discernable flavor leading to that sweetness.

Taste: The rye is there but not too spicy like it can be in other rye beers. It is mellow and balances very beautifully with the rest of the malts and the hops. This is one of the more balanced beers I have ever had.

Mouthfeel: Seemingly to style. Lighter carbonation but it certainly is present. Medium mouthfeel.

Overall: Very enjoyable! I have now had 3 Six Point beers and they all impress me. I would have no qualms about buying this again.

3.93/5  rDev -1%

16oz can with a "best by" date of September 29th. It was poured into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

Righteous Ale pours a nice, clear mahogany color, and there are a few red-orange freckles shining through. The cream colored head comes up to almost three fingers in height, very nice in a smaller glass. Retention is above average, and the glass is absolutely coated in lacing. The nose is fairly solid, though the malty aspect of the beer doesn't really shine through. Instead the aromas of spicy, earthy rye and resinous, piney american hops commingle en route to my nose. The flavor gains balance and complexity relative to the nose, but at the expense of vibrancy of flavor. There's a definite dose of caramel up front before the rye and hops from the nose come in for the second half of the beer. Those flavors just don't seem as powerful as they did in the nose though. The mouthfeel is a bit off for me. The body is too big and rich and is paired with not enough carbonation. The result is a mouthfeel that doesn't have close to the levity that I like in a rye beer. Despite the lackluster mouthfeel, Righeous Ale is a fairly to very good rye beer, I'll be glad to have this one available in cans on a regular basis.

16oz tall boy can poured into a tulip pint; thanks to dcguitar for this one

A picture perfect pour if I do say so....a somewhat clear amber body with a two finger beige cap. Excellent retention; the head didn't fall very much at all before the first sip.

Aroma is of spicy rye, dryness, pine needles and a touch of ruby red grapefruit. Toasted caramel malt and a little bit of woodiness round out the nose. Big fan.

Clean and sturdy malt bill. Caramel holding it down while spicy rye and pine needles play up front. A mild bitterness builds with each sip. There's a fruity (or is it floral) flavor that builds with time too. Rounds out the complexity nicely.

Medium body with a smoothness that complements everything else this beer has going for it. Carbonation is near perfect.

Overall this is a solid rye. A quality hoppy presence and a clean malt bill allow the rye to add its qualities to the brew nicely. This is definitely my favorite in the style.

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Pour is a massive white head of fluff, crystal clear light chestnut brown body.

Aroma is pungent of citrus hops , a bit of pine and a load of rye malt. The great thing about this is it smells so fresh and none of the aspects over take or are too strong for the other aromas.

Taste of a healthy malt backbone, light pleasant caramelization, some molasses and brown sugar flavors. Citrus hops complimenting the malt body. This is a very well balanced beer. I have had this numerous times on tap but this one really excites me in cans. A welcome addition to the NY area Canning line.

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Best before Sept 29, 2011.

A: Dark red, almost brown. Thick head that settles after a few minutes. Nice lacing

S: First fruity and, to a lesser degree, piney hops. Some rye spiciness, and the malt comes through too.

T: Juicy hops and spicy rye are both very prominent, but there is some malty caramel sweetness that provides balance. There's a mild sourness on the back end followed by lingering bitterness and an almost metallic flavor from the rye. As it warms, a clove-like flavor develops.

M: Medium with healthy carbonation.

O: The hops and rye work well together, and this beer is as drinkable as one expects from Sixpoint.

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Righteous Ale pours a good brown color with a creamy two-inch head that soon devolves into a bubbly film. Some lacing, though not a ton.

S- This beer smells great, like walking through a forest. Spicy, woodsy, some piney hops. And of course, rye.

T- A pretty hoppy rye beer, which means some pine and bitterness. But more important is the grainy flavor of a nice slice of rye toast at a diner. Plus spicy and bitter kicks from the rye, and some nuttiness and sweetness as well.

O- A really great session beer here, opens up to different levels as it warms. Just really nice. Good job Sixpoint!

4.48/5  rDev +12.8%

16 oz can

App: This beer is the color of dark redwood furniture. Solid head that falls to a cap and great lacing.

Smell: Fruity hops and spicy grain. Reminds me of a zesty, old world pastry

Taste: Spicy, bitter rye throughout. Enough roasted malt to balance with sweetness and add its own edge. The hops add to the bitterness which is what I love about hoppy red ales. Ends equally bitter and sweet. The malt leaves a caramel flavor and stickiness on the tongue while the hops are dry and sharp.

Solid medium body with perfect carbonation

I love this beer in all it's incarnations. Equally as good if not better on cask. Just a different experience.

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Looks great in a tulip, dark reddish brown with some nice light color where light can shine through. Slightly opaque. Ok head retention and surprise some spotty sticky lacing. The aroma has familiar Sixpoint yeast qualities as well as spicy rye notes and a nice blast of zesty hops. Tastes earthy and zesty, smokey from the rye. Really nice rye presence. With the addition of a fair amount of hops which are herbacious and zesty this beer has a nice taste balance. The mouthfeel is clean with a slight lingering bitter aftertaste. All in all this is one special beer, almost sessionable, really tasty and has interesting flavors. Kudos to Sixpoint.

3.83/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a slightly hazy amber color with smallish off-white head that slowly settled into a light cap.

The aroma is quite hoppy with a subtle sour note. The hops are grassy and floral with a touch of grapefruit. A general mustiness from the yeast and a sour punch from the rye. Overall, nice aroma.

The taste is quite hoppy as well. Floral and grassy hops mingle with some grapefruit rind and light piney/resiny notes. There is a toasted malt and dark caramel flavors from the malt. The rye adds a sourness in the end. Some slight chalky flavors from the yeast.

The feel is moderate with soft and airy carbonation. The hops add a dry bitterness on the palate and the rye drys out the palate even further. Some lingering bitterness in the finish.

A hop forward rye ale. The base flavors are nice. I noticed with many sixpoint brews that the yeast results in an overly chalky feel which isn't all that pleasant. It doesn't ruin the beer but takes it down a notch.

Righteous Ale from Sixpoint Brewery