Poppa's Pilz - Sixpoint Brewery

Beer added by: slander on 02-21-2007

Reviews by bonbright7:
3.53/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was so pleased to find this on tap at Shoreline Beverage that I lost sight of what I was using it for and who was going to taste it for the first time. To the unsuspecting historical society people, I delivered this hop-laden beer in growler form. I know that some of the regular beer drinkers like it, but would have preferred a maltier ale.

The Pilz poured with authority to raise a 3" head and the first scent of this beer was that of a spicy grapefruit with light malts in there. The taste rolled with stages after the explosion of hops wore off. I noted some of the same sweetness in this Pilz that I had experienced in both the Sweet Action and IPA by Sixpoint Ales.

After the beer settled down a bit, let us say 20 minutes after pouring, it seemed to evolve into another taste altogether. I found that strangely interesting and so I waited it out to see what more would happen....well, the hops came back without the sweetness to take the edge off.

It was not my favorite from Sixpoint Brewing, but I would like to try it again in the future with some cheeses or dinner to see what else it developed into. Maybe it's the sleeper in the group, waiting to be discovered.

An update: A day later, the contents of the growler are very drinkable with a soft malty taste replacing the urgency of yesterday's hops. I would call it a late redemption of sorts.

3.75/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured a medium straw hue with a half finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured a strong and musty noble hop with a solid husky grain.

The taste was upfront spicy hop atop a light, clean malt. The hops lingered through the finish.

The mouthfeel was of medium fullness with a very dry finish.

Overall a nice and lively pils. Very sessionable, yet flavorful enough to stay interesting.

3.87/5  rDev +4%

Got this from Jeff at Sixpoint.

12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Pours a golden straw color with a fluffy two finger white head that slowly dies down to a lacing. Minimal stickiness, but some is there. Smell is a sweet honey with a hoppy wheat tingle as well. Light floral notes appear in the nose too. Taste starts off with a nice peppery hop flavor that smooths out to a buttery malt. Flavor ends with a spicey hop flavor that remains for a while. Mouthfeel is light to medium boded with a fair amount of carbonation. Pretty creamy as well, very enjoyable. Drinkability is definitely up there, I could put a few down easily. Another solid beer from Sixpoint.

Poppa's Pilz from Sixpoint Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.