Gorilla Warfare Coffee Porter - Sixpoint Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

American Porter |  7.80% ABV

This brew is a robust and rich Porter made with coffee beans from Gorilla Coffee in Park Slope, Brooklyn.

(Beer added by: Todd on 12-06-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gorilla Warfare Coffee Porter Alström Bros

JKIPA05, Jul 02, 2014

asparkoflife, Dec 05, 2011

mbs11, Apr 05, 2012

TerrenceOBrien, Feb 05, 2012
4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

Just got a growler of this from my main man BeerTruth. Coffee brews are pretty much my favorite and I’ve heard great things about this one. Drank from my Surly AHA Rally pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a dark brown with a hugely beautiful and fluffy dark khaki head. A great cap and collar remains the entire beer along with a ton of webbed lacing.
Smell- Really deep and earthy smelling as obviously the coffee is super potent and dominate. A tiny bit of something sweet smelling behind all that coffee as both chocolate and vanilla peek through. Like all coffee beers the nose isn’t all that diverse but this one smells damn good.
Taste- A smack of lightly bitter, light acidic coffee right from the get go. It’s espresso like in its intensity and really has that sort of dank earthiness that you get from a fresh shot. It’s sort of quenching and dry which I love. The coffee is really dominate but the finish shows notes of dark chocolate and almost a light woody tannic thing. Really the coffee just lingers and lingers though. So good.
Mouthfeel- Smooth as freaking silk. Nice hefty body that’s so smooth and lightly dry.
Drinkability- Amazing beer here. I like this more than Surly Coffee Bender and Shorts Cup O’ Joe. That’s saying something too because both those brews are two of my favorites. They say a pint of this is equal to 2 shots of espresso but no matter – I could easily drop a growler of this stuff. Thanks very much Adam, amazing amazing beer!!

younger35, Nov 24, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +19.5%

A_big soapy coffee coloured head. Dark brown slightly opague liquid

S_roasted coffee permeates the nose. Smells like a shot of espresso

T_dark espresson bakers chocolate and a nice roasted malt bitterness. Hops play their way in here with a vague herbalness. A slight winey vinuousness is evident from the type of beans used.

M_smooth as can be

D_wow. So smooth and drinkable, this is an outstanding coffee porter. the alcohol is WELL hidden here and this is a dangerous creeper. I could drink this all the time if available. One of the best porters I have had to date. The use of the Ethiopian Yerbecheffe coffee beans really shines through.

sleazo, Dec 07, 2007
4.81/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served on tap at Track 84, Warwick, RI

A: pours to a very dark color, with a substantial head that stood up to time.

S: Could smell the sweetness, not sure of the coffee smell so much

T: smooth and very drinkable. very little bitterness both during and after

M: good carbonation throughout with a nice tongue-feel

O: Will order again and will try to find in my local craft beer supplier. One of my faves.

BeeGinner, Feb 27, 2014
4.8/5  rDev +15.4%

Fresh growler from "meet the brewer" day at Shoreline Beverage on Long Island, served in a standard pint glass.

L - deep, dark brown color with a decent sized tan head that fell to a light layer, leaving some lacing behind.

S - it smells like fresh ground coffee, excellent!

T - great coffee flavor from the first sip, slight sweetness of malt midway through with a nice touch of bitterness on the back end.

F - medium bodied with smooth carbonation feel.

D - I'm good for a few of these, because caffine really doesn't affect me too much.

Final Note: I wish this was available in a bottle. It beats the pants off of other coffee flavored brews I've had. Craft beer fans outside of the Brooklyn/NYC area are missing out on an extremely well crafted, delicious brew.

JoeyBeerBelly, May 12, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +14.9%

Reviewing this from memory from last night - on tap at the Waterfront Ale House. Sixpoint beer meets Gorilla coffee for a Brooklyn power team. This greets the nose with a morning cup of joe, maybe a bit of chocolate swizzled in as a sweetener. I'm willing to hazard a guess that the beans in question are Yirgacheffe, as that's what I drink from Gorilla on a daily basis. The taste matches, nice and earthy with a bit of spicyness, cooling into a creamy, malty finish without much bitterness. Being a smoked porter, the hop profile is pretty low key, but it seems like they slip in a bit after the initial coffee taste to emphasize the character of the beans. I'm surprised to read that this is nearly 8% - its really deceptively quaffable and could be a dangerous session favorite for as long as its available on local taps. I only fault this for the mouthfeel, which I found a little bit thin, though I may be biased by a recent stout kick.

While I'm not willing to throw all fives at this brew, I just got back from California where I tried Speedway Stout and I actually preferred Sixpoint's porter. Don't get me wrong, the Speedway is a killer stout, one of the smoothest things I've ever poured down my gullet, but I think the quality of the coffee and maybe the choice of bean origin puts Sixpoint/Gorilla over the edge. The Alesmith finished like the bottom of a french press - way too espresso-y. I'd be really interested in a side by side taste test of Ryan Bros. and Gorilla coffee to see if that's the case. Anyone in San Diego care to hook me up?

grandq, Dec 13, 2007

1BeerToRuleThemAll, Mar 06, 2014

kneary13, Aug 16, 2014

Mersh, Aug 08, 2014

nyclee, Nov 21, 2012

DZales1000, Mar 16, 2012

Ilovelampandbeer, Mar 06, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +11.8%

Thanks to PEBKAC for this glorious handbottled gem.

It pours a thick, viscous dark chocolate with a proper thick fluffy froth. The aroma is chocolate and espresso - but not too assuming. The taste builds with more coffee flavor and a bitter dark chocolate bite. I loved the creaminess of the body. Very tasty.

I'll hold this up with Berkshire Coffeehouse Porter and AleSmith Speedway Stout as the triad of truly phenomenal coffee flavored ales.

sloejams, Apr 01, 2008