Northern Lights - Sixpoint Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Nickls on 05-31-2009)
Reviews by hopdog:
3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

On tap at Capone's.

Poured a medium and hazy golden color wtih an averaged sized, frothy, white head. Aromas of spices, woody, earthy, and some citrus. Tastes of the same woodiness/earthiness, citrus, and spices. Lacing left on the glass.

Notes from and tasted on: 7/30/2009.

hopdog, Jul 30, 2009
4.65/5  rDev +29.9%

got to try this one at the 5th avenue street fair in park slope reviewed from notes this one was a rare beer but hopefully it comes back one day

poured out hazy straw color very light golden with with a really great off-white head on it lots of tightly compact bubbles

absolutely stunning aroma here the server said it was made with a blend of different herbs i am picking up a very woody smell and lots of herbaly qualities here very enticing

taste was fresh dry spicy and inviting it was a real thirst quencher on a nice hot day while walking the fair

mouthfeel oustanding it was highly carbonated and refreshing just hit the spot on a hot day

overall a great addition to the lineup i love sixpoints beers i would like to try as many as i can

renegadeburger, Jul 08, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +17.9%

Growler pour from DeCiccio's in Ardsley, NY. Pours clear copper amber, frothy khaki head, leaving a thick collar and thick strands of lacing. Slight wiff of the farmhouse/barnyard funk slides through the nostrils. Interesting and tasty creation. Moderate spice, slight barnyard characteristics, drying herbal hops add to the complexity. Big Brooklyn ups to Sixpoint for this respectable take on the style

Billolick, Jul 08, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -16.8%

On-tap at The Farmhouse in Emmaus, PA. I generally like Sixpoint beers, but not this one. It really reminds me of mediocre homebrew. The malts are too sweet and the hops are all fresh cut grass so that the beer tastes like what I can only describe as "lawn candy." The body isn't too heavy, but the flavor throws the beer off. This one needs to go back for some more tweaking.

tempest, Aug 21, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

7% abv

I had a hard time with wormwood in my beer. I like it in Vermouth. I like it in Absinthe. I'm not sure if I like it in beer.

The brew poured a light amber and the head dissipated quickly into lace.

It was unexpectedly herbal - until I read about the wormwood - then it made sense.

There was a slight soapy taste to the beer. It was a clean flavor and soap is sometimes the way my palate perceives banana - weird, but true... I was having a hard time with this brew. I would like to taste it again alone - rather than at a tasting with 13 other Sixpoint brews...

DawnL, Jul 25, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -4.2%

A: Clear light amber body.. small head with light lacing...

S: Yeast, wood, earth, grain... rather subdued

T: More of the same.. this is a lightly grainy saison that has wood and earth notes... I didn't get any of the wormwood characteristics until the beer really warmed up in the last few sips... its got that caustic anise flavor

M: I found this beer to be rather thin for a saison... I wouldn't describe it as flat, but the carbonation was minimal... rounded finish

D: Just misses the mark... I can't remember my initial reaction when I saw that this beer was aged in wormwood barrels before ordering, but it just didn't do it for me...

callmemickey, Aug 01, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +8.9%

(From notes)

On-tap at RnH.

A - Half-finger of white head; light orangey copper color

S - Yeasty; woody; sweetish malts; earthy

T - A degree of bitterness (not hop bitterness); spices and yeastiness; very dry finish

M - Thinner to medium MF; very subtle carbonation

D - Just OK; some complexity, but not what I would associate with the style. Some dominant dryness and earthiness that detracted a bit in this category for me.

Overall, glad to have tried a brew made with wormwood, but I have to say that I probably wouldn't revisit this too often. Worth checking out, and props to Sixpoint for pushing the envelope.

Nickls, May 31, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -5.6%

Thanks to JW77 for the chance to try this rare treat.

A: Pours a nice golden orange hue with an average with head. No real retention or lace.

S: Smells fruity, with notes of spice, and bitter hops.

T: Very bitter. Not hops bitter, must be from the wormwood. A bit medicinal as well. Strange but not in a bad way.

M: Medium in body, smooth, bitter from start to finish.

D: Not the most drinkable, but pretty darn unique.

tpd975, Oct 31, 2009
Northern Lights from Sixpoint Brewery
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.