Dry-Hopped Diesel Stout - Sixpoint Brewery

pDev: n/a
Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Duhast500 on 02-24-2010)
Reviews by rudolphjacksonm:
3.6/5  rDev n/a

At first I was not too keen on this beer at all. But now I'm reconsidering my initial opinion. I bought this beer expecting a rich, chocolatey stout with much more malt flavor than what I got. To say the least, I was more than disappointed. However I realized that American Stouts are largely up to the interpretation of the brewery. That all being said, I think the taste is pretty good. On to the review!

A - Rich, jetblack color with a tan head that keeps a good residual layer. Moderate amount of lacing that really clings to the glass. This is a damn good looking beer! 5.0

S - Has an odd aroma that combines pine sap, hops, and a sour molasses-ey scent. It's not very pleasant but it's an interesting take on a stout (more on that note when speaking of the taste though). 2.5

T - It's a little malty at the beginning with a subtle hop undercurrent that continues to the back of the tongue, which turns into a strong pine flavor. There's an aftertaste of charcoal, maybe charred oak barrels as well. I think Sixpoint has somehow combined the flavors of a stout with an IPA, which is interesting to say the least. 4.0

M - Smooth and light-to-medium bodied with a small amount of carbonation. 3.5

O - This has definitely been one of the more difficult beers to review for me. The key is to understand that there is no gold standard for what an American Stout should be; the range of flavors allows for just about anything. I'd give this beer a 3.5 out of 5 overall. I wouldn't go out of my way to get a hold of it, but i do commend Sixpoint on what they've done in creating a unique beer. Also, it has a great name to go along with it.

4/5  rDev n/a

4.7/5  rDev n/a

It was like drinking tar. This was the thickest beer I have ever had. I have only ever been able to handle 1 pint and then I am KO'd. Wow. What a beer.

A: Pitch Black.

S: Like oil. Smells like a hops farm.

T: Thick. Really thick in flavor. A bit more of a bite than what I would have expected from this dark of a beer.

M: It took a plunger to get it down my throat.

O: I would drink this beer once a week, or else my tubes may clog.

It is a challenge to drink. You have to like really strong, dark beers to handle it.

4.65/5  rDev n/a

Poured from the tap into a tasting glass.

The color was complete black and had a finger of brownish foamy head and some nice lacing.

The smell of hoppy and I was doubting what I was smelling since there was other beers being served.

The taste was hoppy right up front which I did not expect to taste in a stout or any beer this dark. The malt came after but the first flavors on my tongue were grapefruit and some tangerine.

The feel was medium bodied and went down pretty smooth. It felt like a stout but tasted like an IPA.

I was surprised by this beer and I am really a fan of Sixpoint now for being blown away by this beer. Wow.

Dry-Hopped Diesel Stout from Sixpoint Brewery
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.