Mad Scientists Series #5: Shiso Beer - Sixpoint Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Sixpoint Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: beerdrinker4life on 08-05-2011)
View: Beers (107) |  Events

12-21-2011 05:15:54 | More by joallen17
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

3.05/5  rDev -19.7%

Appearance:
Golden hazy with a thin white head...looks like a darker coors - aka very watery and hydrated piss colored

Smell:
There's notes of yeast and a little spice, I can't really detect the elucive spice (Shiso) in the nose... Served way too cold as expected, but even when it warmed up I couldn't smell anything other than some potent house yeast.

Taste:
This beer tastes way too much like a lager than a Belgian pale ale with some spices. I was expecting more of a Bruery trade winds effect, but this beer just isn't it, or even close. I honestly would prefer a pint of the empire purple/golden dragon with their Caz grown thai basil.

Mouthfeel:
Heavy carbonation, clean lager flavor and an interesting aftertaste. This isn't the midday spicy ale I was hoping for, and definitely not the best sixpoint I've had. I do get a little Belgian yeast fruitiness, but not nearly enough other flavors to be intriguing.

Overall:
I'm disappointed in this beer. It's not terrible, but doesn't hit the spot like some other sixpoint beers. And on top of that it's costing me $7 a glass...which I wouldn't pay for a 750 of this beer.

12-20-2011 16:30:41 | More by ThePorterSorter
fmccormi

4.18/5  rDev +10%

On tap at Alto Cinco in Syracuse, NY; poured to a 12oz glass

Appearance (4.0): Slightly hazy, rich gold body with a very tight, bone-white head (1½ fingers to start, fading to a hazy film on the surface of the beer). Some lacing, not much but not bad.

Smell (3.0): There’s mainly a spicy, hay-like Belgian yeast character in the nose, with a very pale, dry malt bill evident; not as aromatic as I was expecting, honestly, but not bad.

Taste (4.5): Bright, spicy (but still moderate) yeast mixed with a lemony bitterness. The shiso is evident, but very balanced. It’s grassy and bitter, with a tea-like note—but like green tea, not black tea. It’s like green tea mixed with some lemon zest before pouring the kettle. Tastes like Duvel brewed with a shitload of the grassiest hops on the planet. And for anyone who's not sure what that'd be like, suffice it to say that it's pretty awesome. So cool!

Mouthfeel (4.5): Bright, effervescent, but not aggressive—dry, and on the light side of medium. It foams late in the swirl, if you will (it’s like the carbonation comes together and foams right before you swallow). Very nice.

Overall (4.5): This was a very, very cool experiment from Sixpoint. It’s a very dry Belgian Pale with a real wild card thrown in there with the Shiso, but it’s definitely a hit. Surprised how well it meshed, to be honest, but damn if anyone can do it better than this—I’d like to see a citrusy, wheaty saison take it on, maybe, but Sixpoint really did a great job here.

12-20-2011 06:41:57 | More by fmccormi
Ralphs66

12-19-2011 19:18:42 | More by Ralphs66
IrishColonial

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

12-15-2011 18:19:58 | More by IrishColonial
younger35

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

My main man that works for the man himself sent me a hand bottle of this gem from the brewery. I’ve never had shiso so this should be interesting. Drank from my Harriet Brewing Rauchfest nonic pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a fizzy bright yellow with a teeny tiny bright white head that fizzles away fairly quickly. Nary a cap or collar and obviously no lacing.
Smell- Fairly yeasty right from the start with that unmistakable Belgium tone. Slightly bready with a light sort of floury sweetness. Maybe a touch of something floral and lemon zest like as well but it’s fleeting. I feel like it might be more the yeast than the shiso.
Taste- A lot more going on here than the nose! Starts with a sort of lemony bitterness that is almost watermelon rind like. Think minty without the sort of menthol bite. Just fresh and clean. A fair amount of some honeyed malt and a white pepper yeasty bite. Maybe the lightest touches of booze in the finish but it’s very light.
Mouthfeel- Maybe a touch thin for the style but definitely not a game breaker. A nice light prickly bite of carbonation that seems spot on for the beer.
Drinkability- This beer reminds me a lot of a Saison that has been fermented at a slightly higher temperature. Sort of yeasty and fruity and spicy and all that good stuff. Unique for sure and I enjoyed it. Thanks Adam you old dirty bastard!

Serving type: growler

10-22-2011 00:50:11 | More by younger35
david18

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%

I recently had a sixteen ounce draft of this at my local watering hole. I always try what's new at Sixpoint and I'm rarely disappointed. This one, as with many, was good.

Appearance was a pale golden with lots of carbonation and a very fluffy head that ended with some belgian lacing.

Smell was somewhat yeasty but also a good malt presence. Very enticing aroma. Maybe a little bit of herb as well.

Flavor was a little lighter than I had hoped and less interesting than the aroma promised. But overall it wasn't bad.

Try it if you see it.

09-07-2011 18:53:03 | More by david18
beerdrinker4life

Connecticut

4.85/5  rDev +27.6%

This beer was the number one treat at the Belgian Comes to Cooperstown fest. I was so happy to try it I kept on coming back.

The server told me they made the beer with shiso leaves, which is a Japanese plant. Also apparently from the company website they grow this on the roof of their brewery in Brooklyn. I really got to make it out there!

My beer poured with a super white head on it. Lots of lacing in my glass every time. It smelled like fruits, spice, clove, and herbs. Some hops are also present. The taste? Outstanding and out of this world. Sublime hoppy flavors with spice and lots of bubbles. Super refreshing and the most refreshing beer at the fest.

Keep in mind it was hot as can be there. This hit the spot and if they ever find a way to put it in cans I am so there!

08-05-2011 19:52:04 | More by beerdrinker4life
Mad Scientists Series #5: Shiso Beer from Sixpoint Brewery
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.