Meatball Ale - Sixpoint Brewery

American Dark Wheat Ale |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: joefuzz on 08-18-2011

3.63/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Well I made the trek to Sydney for my first ever beer show, felt like I was on a pilgrimage and that craft beer is really becoming a bit of a religion for me (yikes). My first stop once inside the venue was the Sixpoint booth (it was actually the Cigar City booth as well). After a quick chat with @sixpoint I gave this American Wheat Ale a try.

Poured from tap into 100ml sample cup at the Sip & Savour event in Sydney.

A: Presents a cloudy pale straw body with a white half centimetre head. Very much in the realm of a typical Wheat Ale then. 8/10.

S: Hints of coriander spice up front with a pleasing bread yeast middle and an earthy hop back end. Not much else noted apart from this but IMO this is a good enough aroma for the style. 7/10.

T: Hmm, a good mix of coriander, bread yeast, some dusty malt grains and earthy/citric hops. Quite refreshing with a decent balance between dry and bitter in the finish. It’s got that “I need another sip” character, and before you know it the glass is empty (or in this case the tiny 100ml sample). 7/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a creamy Weizen carbonation. 9/10.

D: Well this was certainly a low-key surprise from Sixpoint, a brewer that generally likes slapping you in the face with a big wet hop cone (see my review of their Resin). Moreish and refreshing, it went down a treat with the muggy weather in Sydney. Shame I’ll never see it again as it had a good all round package for an American Wheat Ale. 7/10.

Food match: Some people were eating pulled pork sandwiches which my jealous eyes gazed upon at the event. A pulled pork sandwich would really match this beer well... or a meatball sandwich.

3.65/5  rDev -6.2%

This is actually called Meatball Ale. It's a red ale brewed with 30% wheat malt, per an email confirmation. On-tap at Victoria Gastro Pub during Baltimore Beer Week.

A - The body was a cloudy, dull red...two fingers worth of white head sat on top...it never fully went away...nice lacing

S - A surprising citrus hop presence...mingled well with the strong wheat malt bill

T - The wheat takes over a lot of the flavors...it presents itself as light on the palate but it's full in flavor...a slight chalky flavor comes across...the hops are trying to come through towards the end...they do add some sweetness along with a touch of caramel

M - Medium bodied...smooth, slightly sweet but the wheat comes back to take over

O - I was intrigued by this beer...I figured the wheat would add just a little flavor and more body...it actually added the body but also dominated in the flavor more than I would have liked...an interesting beer that I'm glad I got to try

4.62/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from growler into a sixpoint plastic cup at a sixpoint event.

Pours a redish brown with a small off white head, smells amazing huge rye presence with a good amount of hops. Great signature hoppy taste with some malted rye in there and a slightly wheaty backbone. Absolutly amazing beer.
Overall I'm not a wheat person but this is pretty awesome.

Talking to the rep he told me that it is brewed year round for a meatball shop and that is pretty much the only place to get it.

Meatball Ale from Sixpoint Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.